Long timers - Is Thailand better or worse than 10 years ago?

thelongshoot

I totally empathise with the OP here.

I spent 25 years in Thailand and over this time, for me with 2 kids the cons far outweigh the pros now.

Thailand has lost much of its charm and friendliness. It's just too hard edged for me now compared to say 10 years ago.

I finally managed to get my head out from under the sand and realize I didn't have to accept the fake smiles, the endemic corruption, worsening pollution, destruction of nature, mind numbing shopping mallsetc..the list goes on and on...

I moved back to UK and for us it's great for schools, food, culture and so civilised..all the things I missed while I was away.

No regrets.

• Like 1

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one...appreciate your honest appraisal of your experience here...and yes...the Thai apologist just love to dish out the venom when someone challenges their la-la land perception of Thailand...

"I'm just not feeling the warm and fuzzy with this country anymore and its not because of the Immigration/True Move thing. Its a whole stack of things like this that are getting to me now."

I was fortunate enough to live and work in Thailand when the people were genuinely warm, friendly, with less greed , corruption, and scams...

Loved every minute of it...almost stayed for the long haul...but was interrupted by family obligations back home...

Came back to retire and once again live the good life in the Land of Smiles...my experience upon return did not make me smile or wish to live among a people so corrupt and greedy at every level of society...

After giving it my best shot...decided Thailand would not be the place I would wish to spend the rest of my life...the place managed to grate on my sensibilities at every turn...an aggravation just waiting to happen...call it Thai culture if you wish...but there appears to be a concerted effort to make the simplest things difficult to accomplish...not to mention the "Thainess" attitude one must endure to be a member of the "farang" community...

Left Thailand...have no plans to return...my fond memories of Thailand of years ago...has been forever tarnished...I offer no apologies to those who refuse to look at the reality of living in the Land of Lies...

I for one...appreciate your honest appraisal of your experience here...and yes...the Thai apologist just love to dish out the venom when someone challenges their la-la land perception of Thailand...

"I'm just not feeling the warm and fuzzy with this country anymore and its not because of the Immigration/True Move thing. Its a whole stack of things like this that are getting to me now."

I was fortunate enough to live and work in Thailand when the people were genuinely warm, friendly, with less greed , corruption, and scams...

Loved every minute of it...almost stayed for the long haul...but was interrupted by family obligations back home...

Came back to retire and once again live the good life in the Land of Smiles...my experience upon return did not make me smile or wish to live among a people so corrupt and greedy at every level of society...

After giving it my best shot...decided Thailand would not be the place I would wish to spend the rest of my life...the place managed to grate on my sensibilities at every turn...an aggravation just waiting to happen...call it Thai culture if you wish...but there appears to be a concerted effort to make the simplest things difficult to accomplish...not to mention the "Thainess" attitude one must endure to be a member of the "farang" community...

Left Thailand...have no plans to return...my fond memories of Thailand of years ago...has been forever tarnished...I offer no apologies to those who refuse to look at the reality of living in the Land of Lies...

If you are not jealous why do you come on a Thai website and insult Thailand. A normal person would just leave. I have lived in 6 different countries that I don't like. I have never gone to a website devoted to those countries to tell anybody how lucky I was for leaving. Don't you realize how obvious you are?

• Like 2

If you are not jealous why do you come on a Thai website and insult Thailand. A normal person would just leave. I have lived in 6 different countries that I don't like. I have never gone to a website devoted to those countries to tell anybody how lucky I was for leaving. Don't you realize how obvious you are?

You are a very black and white type of guy aren't you. Love shouldn't be nor does it need to be blind..........

Well, my first comment would be as you suggested.

If you don't like it here, leave.

You have had WAY different experiences than I.

But, I am married and have children here and speak Thai.

I have been here for 30 years and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I am sorry for the way that you have been treated.

Look inside yourself.

Are you sure that you have not brought it all on yourself ?

Do you speak Thai ?

Do you have Thai family ?

Do you pay taxes here ?

Do you have friends that are in the Gov't, Immigration, police and/or military ?

Without some of this stuff here life would surely be hell.

But of that I can not speak from experience.

Man, get it together.

What do you do here anyway ?

Drink and womanize ?

Cough up the truth and maybe you will see the truth.

Do you speak Thai ? no

Do you have Thai family ? goodness gracious... no

Do you pay taxes here ? no, that's the main reason i live in Thailand

Do you have friends that are in the Gov't, Immigration, police and/or military ? no

little do you know! post-35218-0-12900600-1404392201.jpg

• Like 2

Look inside yourself.

Do you speak Thai ?

Do you pay taxes here ?

Do you have friends that are in the Gov't, Immigration, police and/or military ?

Man, get it together.

Drink and womanize ?

Do you speak Thai ? no

Do you have friends that are in the Gov't, Immigration, police and/or military ? no

little do you know! attachicon.gifL-dog.jpg

New avatar = awful.

Old avatar = good.

Been coming to Thailand for just a couple of years now so I dunno about the good old days, but, umm, the Gestapo? Reeeeaaaaalllllllly? Reminds me of one of the first posts I ever read here on TV, where the guy said being called a farang was similar to being a black in the USA in the 50s. Puh-leeze! I know, I know, OP's engaging in hyperbole, right? But I'm pretty sure the whole world's changing, not just Thailand.

Also, let's face it, there are a LOT of dull, low-rent farangs here. Some of them drink too much and act accordingly, causing many Thais to distrust all farangs, Can you blame them? I've sat around with some of these blokes in my neighborhood here in Chiang Mai, and they're very nice, but I don't drink, so they're just as bored with me as I am with them.

I'm not a religious freak, but the Do unto others advice seems to work pretty well here in Thailand. Down the street there are some guys working on a construction site, and now and then I'll stop to watch them. When they look at me I smile and wave, and they wave back. Today they were having lunch when I happened by, and a couple of them waved at me to come join them for a bite. Of course, I declined and kept walking, but then I changed my mind and went back. I sat on the floor with them and they gave me some sticky rice and fish and veggies, patted me on the back and we all laughed. It was fun. I'm studying Thai at the YMCA and I even talked with them a little bit.

What I'm getting at is Thailand is pretty nice for me and to me, and while it's not perfect (nor am I), I intend to keep my mind open and enjoy it. To me, how a country seems depends on the people, and I like Thais. I even like a few farangs.

• Like 1

Did 18 years.

Finally ran out of love for it last year. Came home to the UK. Best thing I ever did.

You must have plenty of money to afford all these taxes, to run a car, to pay lots of income tax, council tax etc etc etc.You must also be happy to walk about in all that wind and rain, be stuck in huge traffic jams (not just in the cities, everywhere) almost every time you go into your car.

No thanks, even allowing for about 90% of drivers and riders having very little road sense, I will just stay here.

Yes indeed. I will be filling up my company BMW and going to watch the 20/20 cricket over the weekend. Whilst planning to go to take my kids to their summer camps and the such.

You claim it is so ridiculously expensive. Well quality costs, and I was paying through the nose to run two cars, have two kids in private education and privately insure everyone in Thailand. That alone took up best part of 600 to 700 k per year. Have you ever paid income taxes on a proper salary in Thailand? It isn't far off what you pay in the UK, with barely any of the associated social benefits. It wasn't about me wanting to come back, it was about for the development for my career and my childrens education it was an absolute necessity. Kids are doing great, and an infinitely better education for free currently.

As for traffic jams, I commute 18 minutes from our countryside house into town every day. At the end of the day, I did I good run. 18 years. I changed a lot obviously, but the country changed a lot too.

Why do you guys who couldn't make it in Thailand constantly brag about how good it is back in another country. You're not here anymore. Forget it. Why do you constantly come back to a Thai forum to tell everyone in Thailand how bad it is here? Why would you care enough to badmouth Thailand? You are gone let it be. This thread is about how Thailand and you blokes are trying to turn it into another UK love fest.

I know Thais living in the UK who cant understand why I as a farang live in Thailand.

Some of these Thais have no intention of coming back to live in Thailand.

Why should they, look at what they get for free, healthcare, kids education pensions etc etc.

An American (Thai) women told me America is the greatest country on earth.

What about guys who were sent here on an expat posting as part of their career development and move onto better and greener pastures.

Its a big wide world out there, and Thailand aint at the centre of it.

I can understand the attraction for our cash strapped pensioners, but for those not bound by financial restraints, why should they stay?

Concur with the comments ref Torbay, I used to enjoy Newquay, they tell me its now chav central these days.

• Like 1

You are a very black and white type of guy aren't you. Love shouldn't be nor does it need to be blind..........

You wrote, "Yes indeed. I will be filling up my company BMW and going to watch the 20/20 cricket over the weekend." Why would you think any of us care? You bragging about a BMW and watching cricket?

You really don't know how obviously jealous that is? And why come here and attempt to brag?

I'm not a black and white guy. I live in Thailand because I like Thailand. I don't have to badmouth the USA or another country on American websites. That would be so tacky.

This is a thread about the changes in Thailand during the last ten years not about how much better your life is since you left. You are gone. Get over it.

• Like 2

"thelongshoot" what a joke. You should have been shot a long time ago.

Ten years is short time.

Go home if you have one. If you don't, which I can understand from you diatribe is quite probable, just be grateful that there is a country which will accept you presents even if many of its' long timers wish you were long, long, far, far away.

• Like 1

Look inside yourself.

Do you speak Thai ?

Do you pay taxes here ?

Man, get it together.

Drink and womanize ?

Do you speak Thai ? no

New avatar = awful.

Old avatar = good.

new avatar distorted by Thaivisa software. old avatar and any other new one rejected by Thaivisa software.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738727-tv-software-discriminates-against-klingons/

post-35218-0-63312700-1404393306.jpg

Look inside yourself.

Do you speak Thai ?

Do you pay taxes here ?

Man, get it together.

Drink and womanize ?

Do you speak Thai ? no

New avatar = awful.

Old avatar = good.

new avatar distorted by Thaivisa software. old avatar and any other new one rejected by Thaivisa software.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738727-tv-software-discriminates-against-klingons/

attachicon.gifWorf angry3.jpg

This is unacceptable. Thai Visa please sort out.

Look inside yourself.

Do you speak Thai ?

Do you pay taxes here ?

Man, get it together.

Drink and womanize ?

Do you speak Thai ? no

Well, there's your answer.

Maybe get some of that stuff and you will have a very different experience kap wai.gif

Yes indeed. I will be filling up my company BMW and going to watch the 20/20 cricket over the weekend. Whilst planning to go to take my kids to their summer camps and the such.

You claim it is so ridiculously expensive. Well quality costs, and I was paying through the nose to run two cars, have two kids in private education and privately insure everyone in Thailand. That alone took up best part of 600 to 700 k per year. Have you ever paid income taxes on a proper salary in Thailand? It isn't far off what you pay in the UK, with barely any of the associated social benefits. It wasn't about me wanting to come back, it was about for the development for my career and my childrens education it was an absolute necessity. Kids are doing great, and an infinitely better education for free currently.

As for traffic jams, I commute 18 minutes from our countryside house into town every day. At the end of the day, I did I good run. 18 years. I changed a lot obviously, but the country changed a lot too.

Why do you guys who couldn't make it in Thailand constantly brag about how good it is back in another country. You're not here anymore. Forget it. Why do you constantly come back to a Thai forum to tell everyone in Thailand how bad it is here? Why would you care enough to badmouth Thailand? You are gone let it be. This thread is about how Thailand and you blokes are trying to turn it into another UK love fest.

why do people like yourself resort to saying that people (like myself who left Thailand to better myself and my career) have to go as far to say we couldn't make it there... you are so wrong fella, I left Thailand with more money than I started with.

I feel you are a bit like the average Somchai out there who can't take criticism and you are having a loss of face cyber style by having to scrape the barrel like that.

Act your age you soppy sod and debate the issues raised or is that a bit too much to ask?

Edited by lormakmak
  • Like 2

whistling.gif I first came here in 1977, and yes Thailand has changed.

Of course that is to be expected ..... what country or person doesn't change with time?.

Thailand is much more of a hectic lifestyle now. The "locals" are not as friendly as they used to be due to the stress of today's lifestyle.

For many working class Thais, what they see on television as the expected Thai lifestyle is beyond their financial reach realistically .... they know it and resent that fact.

The reality of their life and the unrealistic assumptions they are told they can easily obtain causes anger and stress in their daily lives.

Whether you care to admit or not, that economic reality is at the heart of the "Red Shirts" political movement.

Even if it was hijacked by Thaksin and his cohorts for their own self enrichment.

But bottom line, Yes life in Thailand is far less simple now than in 1977, and far more stressful now.

That comment, "We can no longer be those people in the "Land of Smiles" we once were", is one of the most intelligent comments I have heard a Thai or foreigner make in a long time.

How unfortunately true. And it will not get better until that economic problem is resolved somehow.

whistling.gif

Wow. These are interesting comments, and will set me thinking, which I much appreciate.

Ironically, in the very few instances when a Thai person has been impolite to me, I think they were not Red Shirt types.

Look inside yourself.

Do you speak Thai ?

Do you pay taxes here ?

Man, get it together.

Drink and womanize ?

Do you speak Thai ? no

Well, there's your answer.

Maybe get some of that stuff and you will have a very different experience kap wai.gif

Or at least some friends that do.

And for Gods sake man get away from where there are falang.

And stay mellow with the sauce.

No one likes a con key mao.

Especially a white one who can't even speak.

In REAL Thailand (yea, the places where falang don't hang out) it's still GREAT !

Still the Land of Smiles that you are searching for.

Especially now with the current political situation.

There is joy and happiness everywhere.

The towns, farms, ocean and jungle are still the same (with the difference of technology and normal growth). thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

AS you said yourself: " This is a proper useless rant" . So why bother the rest of us ?

"Proper useless rant" ah the quality " English teachers " they have in Thailand.... Sounds like an extra out of Eastender's or some other low class British soap..... During empire nobody spoke like this and if they did a good thrashing would be had
OMG! Soutpeel, I'm amazed how you can take each and every thread and turn it into an English teacher bash.

What's your issue with teachers?

Most are not teachers to start with ? I have nothing personal against them per se, and they do provide some amusement, when they start getting all outraged, besides I have been asked nicely not to refer to furry rodents anymore, so guess "teachers" are next best thing I guess Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

What I gather the OP is saying is that he is/was running a business from Thailand online illegally without a work permit and he failed to ensure that his phone bill was paid prior to temporary leaving the country and then feels it`s an injustice when the phone company cut him off.

Good, I am happy to learn that Immigration have now seriously begun cracking down on people like the OP who have an attitude problem and believe that some of the laws of Thailand are a personal affront against them, so why should they abide by the system here as they know better.

The real deal is, that the OP is unable to hack it in Thailand and he is right that England is more befitting to people of his ilk, a country where people can practise having bad attitudes to impunity and at least there he will be able to scratch out a living without breaking the rules.

Good luck to all who sail in her.

And now it's time to crawl back under that rock

Christ on a bike. I bet you are an absolute joy to have a beer with.

Context. Thats the issue here with how some people read posts. I said this on another thread once before and I'll say it again now: Is your translation of my described working life so absolute that I am now an illegal worker?

Read the OP again. I'm a tourist. Regardless of how long I have been here I do see myself as a tourist and immigration apparently agree with me, as when I ask to which visa I should apply for, they tell me tourist. My work has nothing to do with Thailand in any way. It is a an overseas company that I simply keep an eye on through email when I am here. To that end, I assume a 2 week tourist who calls the office back home to see how things are going is also an illegal worker? its the same thing.

its not the lassee fair laid back place it was maybe 10-20 years ago .too much rat race in there now . too many people to get on the train .too much of everything to scramble your brain .too many eyeballers of smartphones. too many malls with mall rats etc

AS you said yourself: " This is a proper useless rant" . So why bother the rest of us ?

"Proper useless rant" ah the quality " English teachers " they have in Thailand.... Sounds like an extra out of Eastender's or some other low class British soap..... During empire nobody spoke like this and if they did a good thrashing would be had
OMG! Soutpeel, I'm amazed how you can take each and every thread and turn it into an English teacher bash.

What's your issue with teachers?

Most are not teachers to start with ? I have nothing personal against them per se, and they do provide some amusement, when they start getting all outraged, besides I have asked nicely not to refer to furry rodents anymore, so guess "teachers" are next best thing I guess

offtopic.gif

I am feeling similar to the OP at the moment, although I have only been here 3 years. There are times when I feel that the attitude towards me from Thai's is becoming more negative, more rudeness than smiles.. but then I also think that a lot of how I interpret their attitude is connected to how happy I feel. When I am on top of the world I see Thai people as the nicest politest people in the world, but when I am feeling down all I can see is their contempt for me as a farang.

At the moment I am just feeling tired in general and I guess bored... will see how it goes but a change is a possibility.

• Like 1

Look inside yourself.

Do you speak Thai ?

Do you pay taxes here ?

Man, get it together.

Drink and womanize ?

Do you speak Thai ? no

New avatar = awful.

Old avatar = good.

Huh ?

What I gather the OP is saying is that he is/was running a business from Thailand online illegally without a work permit and he failed to ensure that his phone bill was paid prior to temporary leaving the country and then feels it`s an injustice when the phone company cut him off.

Good, I am happy to learn that Immigration have now seriously begun cracking down on people like the OP who have an attitude problem and believe that some of the laws of Thailand are a personal affront against them, so why should they abide by the system here as they know better.

The real deal is, that the OP is unable to hack it in Thailand and he is right that England is more befitting to people of his ilk, a country where people can practise having bad attitudes to impunity and at least there he will be able to scratch out a living without breaking the rules.

Good luck to all who sail in her.

And now it's time to crawl back under that rock

Christ on a bike. I bet you are an absolute joy to have a beer with.

Context. Thats the issue here with how some people read posts. I said this on another thread once before and I'll say it again now: Is your translation of my described working life so absolute that I am now an illegal worker?

Read the OP again. I'm a tourist. Regardless of how long I have been here I do see myself as a tourist and immigration apparently agree with me, as when I ask to which visa I should apply for, they tell me tourist. My work has nothing to do with Thailand in any way. It is a an overseas company that I simply keep an eye on through email when I am here. To that end, I assume a 2 week tourist who calls the office back home to see how things are going is also an illegal worker? its the same thing.

Do you live here full time ? And if so how long ?

• Like 1