Thai style to keep a secret?

Sandman77

I never met someone here in Thailand within last 10 years , that can keep a secret!

Everybody tells everybody everything ,

Also on the street

not only to close friends, sometime nice but often also often dangerous

When it comes to money talk. How much money have farang people in village ask often, I am very angry about this when my wife's tells everybody everything, the aswer is

You not understand darling , when I not tell the Poole not stop ask, so the people must know it!

How do you handle this with your parnter , wife or gf?

Doesn't matter how much you have or haven't got. Many Thais (particularly country folk) look at farang as gazillionaires, it's just the perception. Maybe Hollywoods part of the blame.

Ps: Never tell ANY Thai how much you're worth!

Sandman77, when your significant other reveals your secrets to others in her social circle it means you have been betrayed.

Betrayal is solid proof that you are being played, and also gives you in plain view your standing in her priorities... your spot in the pecking order.

First tier: parents, siblings, friends, neighbors, and everybody else.

Second tier: Pets, pigs, dogs, cats, rats, cockroaches, mosquitoes, and amoeba and other single celled organisms.

Your place: Dead last.

But they know you get that pension every month from "Prathet Nok".

Those are the facts. With so many bitter old pensioners here in Thailand lamenting their tales of bring ripped off... I wonder why they haven't learned to work the "system" in their favor. I suspect it is the language barrier. It has been my experience that there are many fine good to know Thai people who very adept at keeping confidential secrets just exactly that.

If your other half can't keep a secret you need to decide what to do about it. It's betrayal, are you willing to live with that?

• Like 1

What mean hiso?

cheesy.gif

Its short for High-society meaning upper-class. Just wanted to make sure that people were not under the impression that normal Thais could not keep secrets. By mentioning that she is not Hiso meaning she belongs to the common people

Yea I know need to change her to a Chinese Thai with rich parents to fit in here on Thaivisa but i like her.

Need to know basis and they dont. Oh, and never let anyon e know you are worth more dead than alive!

Right....Actually the OP also can't keep a secret, else his wife wouldn't be able to tell it.....

Tell a lot unimportant stuff to distract the people and keep the sensitive matter.....

Telling at the family meeting that you have a life insurance worth 1 Phantastillion isn't a good idea......

• Like 1

"How do you handle this with your parnter , wife or gf?"

We sleep in different rooms.

In different cities........................wink.png

In truth, I don't think my wife knows how much I make a month or what my total income is. Of course, after 15 years of marriage, that could be total naivety on my part...................rolleyes.gif

Sandy...in many cultures we do ask and tell how much we make.where I live that is normal and polite. As for secrets...my husband is a clam ....but all villages have gossip. ..or aas someone said:tee muu baan mai mee kwam laaap...in village there's no secrets

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I've been advised many many times - there are NO secrets in Thailand - certainly never share them. It's need to know around here and what they don't need to know does not get said.....

They've got the theory and gossip machines in full gear anyway no need to fan the flames.....

Sandy...in many cultures we do ask and tell how much we make.where I live that is normal and polite. As for secrets...my husband is a clam ....but all villages have gossip. ..or aas someone said:tee muu baan mai mee kwam laaap...in village there's no secrets

I come from Austria. It would be unthinkable to ask how much money someone has or how much salary he gets. Even asking how much the car was is not polite. Of course the times are changing and the younger one and higher educated are more open, but still the culture would be to don't speak about.

I've been advised many many times - there are NO secrets in Thailand - certainly never share them. It's need to know around here and what they don't need to know does not get said.....

They've got the theory and gossip machines in full gear anyway no need to fan the flames.....

There is the old joke: If you want to have something known, tell it as "top secret" and tell under no circumstances tell someone else.

3 hours later everyone knows it....

Well in israel 'my salary and perks' r a major dinner topic no matter what career or job.no big deal. Salaries r posted in news business articles as well.no big deal.

What mean hiso?

It has no one meaning. Its a psychological prod which simultaneously stimulates both the 'Spite and Envy' plus the 'Feelings of Inadequacy' cortexes within the brain.

Works equally well on Thais and expats, is especially effective on expats who believe themselves to be Thai.

Can you Sandmandish that please?

great post BTW ...

Well in israel 'my salary and perks' r a major dinner topic no matter what career or job.no big deal. Salaries r posted in news business articles as well.no big deal.

I got told it is common in USA as well.

I told a customer that I bought some land and he asked how much was it......I was a bit shocked until I remembered I left my village between the mountains laugh.png

Sandy,don't get me wrong i think you are a nice chap and thinking about life but please allowe me one question: how do you communicate with your partner? your english grammar is worst then mine and i assume your partner's as well- how does it works?

Edited by Crazy chef 1

My wife learn quickly English , we not have problems to communicate!

About the never learn phrase here,

All relationship within last 10 year was very simular when it comes to money talk!

This means also when you think you know everything,

How the system works

it brings you nothing because you cannot change Thai society or ideology about money !

We learn from experience but this we cannot change, only when we leave the country!

This is what I learn !

That people that point with the finger to others with you never learn have exactly same problems for sure!

Edited by Sandman77