Any reports of ED extension being refused at immigration?

I'm currently staying on a Non-ED visa (thai language school) received Jun 5 and as I understand it, after the initial 3-month permission of stay it is possible to get three 3-month extensions (since i'm enrolled for a 1 year course)

However, with regards to the latest crackdown reports I decided to switch to the 500k elite card lite, and I'm wondering whether to apply now and lose the remaining 11 months I can potentially stay on the ED visa.

So, my question is: since the crackdown began, was anyone actually refused the ED extension at the immigration?

If they do refuse the extension, will I have enough time left to apply for the elite card or would I have to leave Thailand immediately?

I'm assuming you mean you're on a non-imm Ed visa.

If so, usually the procedure is that

1. You enter the country on your Ed Visa

2. Your school prepares your documents

3. The immigration dept issues you with a 3-month extension

(3 months pass)

4. Your school prepares more documents for you

5. Immigration issues you with a 9-month extension, and you do your 90 day report around this time

(3 months pass)

6. Another 90 day report

(3 months pass)

7. Another 90 day report

(3 months pass)

8. If you're a slow learner, you can sign up for another year's study. Immigration will issue full 12 month extension this time - you can do that twice on the same visa for a full 3 years.

If you want to leave the country at any point, you need a re-entry permit, which you can get at immigration (and sometimes at airports) for 1900.

The elite card is a lot less hassle but with a big upfront cost.

• Like 1

(3 months pass)

5. Immigration issues you with a 9-month extension, and you do your 90 day report around this time

(3 months pass)

6. Another 90 day report

(3 months pass)

7. Another 90 day report

(3 months pass)

8. If you're a slow learner, you can sign up for another year's study. Immigration will issue full 12 month extension this time - you can do that twice on the same visa for a full 3 years.

If you want to leave the country at any point, you need a re-entry permit, which you can get at immigration (and sometimes at airports) for 1900.

#5 ?? In my experience at CW you only get 3 x 3 monthly extensions, not nine months... and if your course ends early during one of those 3 month periods (as per school paperwork submitted for extension) then you will only get an extension up until that date

I would guess that ED visas are gong to be increasingly scrutinised, as it appears they have been widely abused.

Agree a friend of mine got turned back at the airport recently. The immigration Officer ask him simple questions in Thai, he could not respond as he knew little Thai. He was deported.

• Like 2

Thailand Elite card is subject to approval but prior to the coup, you could be set up in less than a day. No word now if that's possible in the current regime.

You can also possess the Thailand Elite card and concurrently have another Visa (ED/B/O) in your passport. You will have to leave the country and choose whether to use the ED visa or use the Thailand Elite card upon arrival. If you do not have a re-entry permit on your current visa, it's null and void upon departure, anyways.

Is it not possible to get 3 years ed visa and then get another consecutive one??

I know people who have been here the best part of ten years "learning Thai" and they can barely stutter a word

There is also boxing schools and cooking schools who can issue ed visas AFAIK

How exactly are they going to crack down on those?

Edited by YipYipYa123

Is it not possible to get 3 years ed visa and then get another consecutive one??

I know people who have been here the best part of ten years "learning Thai" and they can barely stutter a word

There is no 3 year ED visa. They only allow a 90 day entry.

Most people get a single entry ED visa and then extend their 90 day permit to stay at immigration.

The 3 years often mentioned is the limit on the amount of time you can study at one school because they cannot offer more advanced studies beyond the 3 year level.

There is truly no limit on how long you can keep getting extensions for attending a school as long as your course of study can meet the requirements.

If your school is recognised by gov no problem however it must be full time study and your presence in class should be necessary. You need a student card, student certificate only but in some cases (receipt of tuition fee) might be asked. No proper application is refused since.

(3 months pass)

(3 months pass)

6. Another 90 day report

(3 months pass)

7. Another 90 day report

(3 months pass)

Re-entry permit 1900 Baht ???? I thought it was 1000 Baht.

You can study 1 course for 3 years (at the visa factory schools). For example, you can study Thai for 3 years, then Japanese for 3 years, then German for 3 years, etc.

I would recommend that you actually go to classes if you can't speak the languages, because there is a yearly test at the Ministry of Education (at least for Thai).

A better option would be to go to a cheap international university. Courses are very easy, and you only have to take 4-5 classes a semester to be eligible. I slept/skipped halfway through my classes with Bs and As. You'll spend around 60-100k a year, but you get a 1 year visa, and don't have to keep extending every 3 months. You'll also get a degree in the process which means eventually you can legally work here in the 30k a month teaching position you've been dreaming of (or actually get hired at a decent position). Also, university skirts!

I've seen 30-40 year olds in a couple classes so I know a few are taking this route.

• Like 1

These people WILL get found out,already immigration are asking basic thai questions, if they cant answer,they are warned that the next 90 day,if cannot answer a question ,they will be refused and deported, about time too.

You can study 1 course for 3 years (at the visa factory schools). For example, you can study Thai for 3 years, then Japanese for 3 years, then German for 3 years, etc.

I would recommend that you actually go to classes if you can't speak the languages, because there is a yearly test at the Ministry of Education (at least for Thai).

A better option would be to go to a cheap international university. Courses are very easy, and you only have to take 4-5 classes a semester to be eligible. I slept/skipped halfway through my classes with Bs and As. You'll spend around 60-100k a year, but you get a 1 year visa, and don't have to keep extending every 3 months. You'll also get a degree in the process which means eventually you can legally work here in the 30k a month teaching position you've been dreaming of (or actually get hired at a decent position). Also, university skirts!

I've seen 30-40 year olds in a couple classes so I know a few are taking this route.

who would get out of bed for that

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed a inflammatory comment

JomtienEats " is right and his info is correct.

I am at Thai language school and those rules was explained to me again before I left Thailand for 1 months.on my ED multi entry I 've paid in Australia applying with all required documents from Thai Education Department.

I met many students in Thai language school who are on different ED visas and even they do not know or never learned rules on which they can study in Thailand.

Yes , I can read Thai but to understand spoken words are different thing.

To be honest I do not understand my Thai speaking g/f much but in one occasion I was able to understand a taxi driver who was speaking with my g/f hence story of someone who was denied entry on ED visa and not understanding "simple Thai" :does not ring my bell"

In such case I would actually say in Thai that I am not ready to understand spoken Thai in my defence. (and I am able to speak slowly after 3 months of learning) (hey I am 62 ....)

I guess this story has hidden factors and should not be taken seriously on this forum . For me it is like scare tactics.....

Please read my post on other forum "Denied tourist visa at Thai embassy in Singapore"

I explained my scenario when leaving Thailand on 28 of June for one months on my ED Visa (multi entry) and to add that I am travelling with my music keyboard worth $5000 doll. between Australia Thailand and Poland and backwards.....

Reading many posts here on this subject I have feeling that some people DO NOT HAVE first hand information and even did not attend Thai schools.

Even travelling to Europe I keep my Thai working books to study in free time . This is hard language but interesting and overall giving a lot of personal satisfaction for westerner.

Please do not spread NOT correct information because it is only creates frustration for those looking for guidance.

wai.gifwai2.gif

re-entry permits actually cost 1,000 baht for a single or 3,800 baht for multiple entries.

Wrong...

Proper ED multi entry visa(for 1 year) in Australia costs $ 225 doll.

Every 3 month I have choice to leave Thailand or lodge report and pay 1900bht.

post-202892-0-26709600-1404770203_thumb.

re-entry permits actually cost 1,000 baht for a single or 3,800 baht for multiple entries.

Wrong...

Proper ED multi entry visa(for 1 year) in Australia costs $ 225 doll.

Every 3 month I have choice to leave Thailand or lodge report and pay 1900bht.

Not wrong. You don't need re-entry permits because you have a multiple entry visa.

Otherwise, needs re-entry permits as mentioned by utr.

Note, what you call "logdge report" is actually called "extension of stay"

Finally, you would have saved money getting a single entry visa instead, because it would also allowed you to stay by the mean of above mentioned "extension of stay".