Village justice

Bulldozer Dawn

My girl is well educated and put herself through school to a masters degree level.

However, she is from a poor little village down south.

She has two brothers, one is currently away with the army and the other, younger one, still lives at home.

The one still at home is only 15 years old. He is not the sharpest tool in the box, but is hard working. He has just left school and has been working in construction. He has given most of the money he has earned to mum, but has also spent some to do up the other, older brothers motorbike.

He road the bike the other day to pick mum up from the temple.

On the way there he crashed because a dog ran out in front of him. He scraped his knee up very badly but nothing broken.

My girl told me last night that dad has gone to see the owners of the dog (another Thai family in the village) and demanded 5K THB in compensation.

I told my girl that if I was the owner of the dog there is no way I would pay a cent because her little brother doesn't have a motorbike licence, nor is the bike registered.

What is the likely outcome of all this?

Not involved. And certainly won't be asked for money. My girl makes good coin and pay half of all our expenses here in Phuket. Just amazed Thai logic. Imagine in a western country if your kid was riding unlicensed on an unregistered bike and hit a neighbours dog. Would you have the gall to hit the neighbour up for compensation?

Not involved. And certainly won't be asked for money. My girl makes good coin and pay half of all our expenses here in Phuket. Just amazed Thai logic. Imagine in a western country if your kid was riding unlicensed on an unregistered bike and hit a neighbours dog. Would you have the gall to hit the neighbour up for compensation?

Trust me it gets worse.

• Like 2

Anything is possible here.

One of our drivers hit a dog that had run out in the road, one of the local numpties thought might be worth asking for money from The Farang. Simple answer, keep your dog tied up your lucky there was no damage to the car. He got nowt, but I suppose if you don't ask, you don't get.

• Like 1

You think it doesn't happen? Guy breaks into a house, falls down, gets hurt and sues the home owner. He wins. Happens more than you think...stupid courts!

• Like 2

My girl is well educated and put herself through school to a masters degree level.

What has the education of your GF to do with the story?? Why is it that nearly every post is pre fixed with this on here? Short hand for "my gf isnt an ex hooker so dont judge but listen to this story"??

The first bloke to prefix a post with "I`m a retired sex pat shacked up with a ex hooker in Issan" gets a pint from me laugh.png

Maybe OP wanted to emphasize the point that in Thailand critical thinking is still not comprehend even with the person who is highly educated.

Or maybe an attempt to suggest "she is different" ?

• Like 1

Or maybe the OP was just following the natural course of the conversation (which TNG seems unable to do) and countering the point raised in the preceding post about the father asking them for money!

Edited by chiang mai

What has the education of your GF to do with the story?? Why is it that nearly every post is pre fixed with this on here? Short hand for "my gf isnt an ex hooker so dont judge but listen to this story"??

The first bloke to prefix a post with "I`m a retired sex pat shacked up with a ex hooker in Issan" gets a pint from me laugh.png

Maybe OP wanted to emphasize the point that in Thailand critical thinking is still not comprehend even with the person who is highly educated.

Or maybe OP just wanted to tell us that he has an educated girlfriend or maybe he did not mean anything by it at all.

Anyway, it is no surprise for Thais or any other nationalities to try to blame others for their own actions.

Yep in a western country same same, perhaps damages reduced but similar principle with negligence..

OP, what will happen is your FIL will go into hard negotiations with the owner of the dog.

After some, hard words exchanged, the dog owner will offer about 2.000 Baht.

The FIL will accept and all will be, hunky dory.

That's how it works in Thailand.

Or maybe OP just wanted to tell us that he has an educated girlfriend or maybe he did not mean anything by it at all.

Anyway, it is no surprise for Thais or any other nationalities to try to blame others for their own actions.

Or maybe the OP had a point to make that was relevant to GF's education but got sidetracked by silly replies and forgot.

Or maybe.....

You think it doesn't happen? Guy breaks into a house, falls down, gets hurt and sues the home owner. He wins. Happens more than you think...stupid courts!

Where ? thailand?

Where ? thailand?

I believe you were talking about and I quote: "Imagine in a western country" or do you have a short memory problem...cheesy.gif

Now - you see - unwittingly you have just made a fool out of yourself.

Let me be kind to you and explain why.

For some reason you equated being degree educated with the common sense of Thai village life.

By doing so, you proved your ignorance of said common sense, the nuance of living in Thailand.

If you gave your girlfriend a choice, I bet you she would value her understanding of what goes on in a Thai village above any western paper degree.

As it can literally be the difference between life and death. Between living in relative harmony, or living in misery.

Idiot westerners turn up here and think the answer is to build themselves an eight foot wall around their village property, buy six ferocious dogs, and install electronic gates.

They install themselves in high-security prisons, and they are the inmates.

I told you earlier to sit back and watch the show. So what happened?

The delicate little dance of Thai village life happened.

So ram your talk of degrees and licences up your ...........

And learn how to live in a Thai village.

Bravo!

Do you publish your stuff?

• Like 1

Now - you see - unwittingly you have just made a fool out of yourself.

Let me be kind to you and explain why.

For some reason you equated being degree educated with the common sense of Thai village life.

By doing so, you proved your ignorance of said common sense, the nuance of living in Thailand.

If you gave your girlfriend a choice, I bet you she would value her understanding of what goes on in a Thai village above any western paper degree.

As it can literally be the difference between life and death. Between living in relative harmony, or living in misery.

Idiot westerners turn up here and think the answer is to build themselves an eight foot wall around their village property, buy six ferocious dogs, and install electronic gates.

They install themselves in high-security prisons, and they are the inmates.

I told you earlier to sit back and watch the show. So what happened?

The delicate little dance of Thai village life happened.

So ram your talk of degrees and licences up your ...........

And learn how to live in a Thai village.

Guess who doesn't have a wife with a degree or a wall around his house!

• Like 1