Outrage over Thai tourists 'vandalising' Great Wall of China

webfact

Looking at the dates isn't it kind of late for the faux outrage?

We see graffiti on the walls of some buildings made by roman soldiers and look at it with great interest and historic importance. A hard nylon brush and a bucket of soapy water will remove the 'scar' in a matter of minutes.

I think it is more a case of disrespect by idiotic people.

After all, it is one of the wonders of the ancient world, not something to be fugged around with.

But hey.... It is a measure of the intelligence of those responsible.

One of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Are you sure? Maybe you should try to read up on that.

I may not have responded except you went on to discuss the intelligence of people. Another measure is of those who post on the internet things they clearly know nothing about,

(spelling will be out, but this is of the top of my head)

mausoleum of harlicarnuos.

Temple at ephusis

Library at Alexandria

Colossus of Rhodes

Pyrimids in Giza

Hanging gardens of babylon

statue of Zeus.

G

7 wonders of the world should be renamed "7 wonders of Euro centric world", which is what it clearly was. No Angkor complex, No great wall, No Mexican pyramids, No Borobodur.

I remember going to Ramses IX (think it was #9) tomb in Egypt and seeing original Graffiti (Greek word) written in the passageway. Put there couple thousand years ago. Translation was said to be "Man City Sucks. Go Man U".

Not idiotic people writing on the wall. Had to be smart enough to get $$ for visit to China. More like unthinking upper class oblivious to anyone other than themselves.

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a 'tagger'. Never understood why the guy carves I ♥︎ Jenny into a tree or these people write that they've been there.

So now it's come to the Great Wall.

We see graffiti on the walls of some buildings made by roman soldiers and look at it with great interest and historic importance. A hard nylon brush and a bucket of soapy water will remove the 'scar' in a matter of minutes.

After all, it is one of the wonders of the ancient world, not something to be fugged around with.

One of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Are you sure? Maybe you should try to read up on that.

I may not have responded except you went on to discuss the intelligence of people. Another measure is of those who post on the internet things they clearly know nothing about,

(spelling will be out, but this is of the top of my head)

mausoleum of harlicarnuos.

Temple at ephusis

Library at Alexandria

Colossus of Rhodes

Pyrimids in Giza

Hanging gardens of babylon

statue of Zeus.

G

7 wonders of the world should be renamed "7 wonders of Euro centric world", which is what it clearly was. No Angkor complex, No great wall, No Mexican pyramids, No Borobodur.

I remember going to Ramses IX (think it was #9) tomb in Egypt and seeing original Graffiti (Greek word) written in the passageway. Put there couple thousand years ago. Translation was said to be "Man City Sucks. Go Man U".

Not idiotic people writing on the wall. Had to be smart enough to get $$ for visit to China. More like unthinking upper class oblivious to anyone other than themselves

5 of the 7 wonders of the ancient world were in Africa or Asia. "Eastern Mediterranean-centric" might be more accurate.

Angkor didn't qualify on "ancient-ness"!

Atleast it's just correction pen, that you can wash away. Does anyone remember the Chinese tourist in Egypt actually scratching in his name in to the stone, that you can't wash away...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-22677980

Does pot/kettle/black seem appropriate?

David

You beat me to it!

The graffiti on a brick in the Chinese wall is hardly the same as what that Chinese kid did to the Egyptian Luxor temple.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This really is not news, the Thais are making it news. This has been going on since 'Ghengis scrawled "I will be back at mid-day tomorrow, if you dont let me in you will get some".

People of all nationalities scrawl on the wall.

Graffiti-left-on-the-Grea-011.jpg

I guess those of you that made scathing remarks about the lack of intelligence and respect that the Thai's show about everything and how they desecrate wonders of the world when 'how would they like it', can now apply the same scathing remarks about your own people and own nationality and as you lump all Thais together for this bit of hooliganism, you must therefore lump yourselves together with all the other rogues from UK, America, France, Germany, Italy etc etc.

And hey, it seems the Chinese did not complain in fact they seem to be the number 1 offenders.

greatwall-protection-law.jpg

Some of you guys make Victor Meldrew look like the laughing Policeman.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

Atleast it's just correction pen, that you can wash away. Does anyone remember the Chinese tourist in Egypt actually scratching in his name in to the stone, that you can't wash away...

If anything, that is a lot worse as in Egypt it was genuinely from the that time period. The great wall in the picture was just rebuilt for tourists quite recently.

One reported post has been removed:

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

maybe not in the best favor of China either. I mean when the west does something they don't like, they turn to China. Soon China may turn it's back as well. It's not like Thailand holds any great strategic importance to anyone.

"It's not like Thailand holds any great strategic importance to anyone"..........uh, yes it does; it is right smack in the middle of Southeast Asia.

One of the first things you learn as a Westerner coming to Thailand is that "logic" or common sense as we like to call it does not exist in either a Thai dictionary nor a Thai mind. I've always felt that logic is inherent in eveyone like inherently knowing what is right or wrong, good or bad.

Thais surely are not the only ones who deface national monuments in foreign lands but as one observer noted you do not see Thai Wats desecrated with Thai writing so while logic is non existant in Thais, stupidity abounds here.

Having said that, the Chinese are exponentially worse in lack of common sense when comes to talking in a loud voice. Thais usually yell when they are drunk. The Chinese yell as a normal way of having a conversation. It is impossible to be in the same restaurant with more than two Chinese people without going deaf. LOL

John Burdett who wrote the famous or infamous books about Thai corruption in the police force as a way of life in his books (Bangkok 8) makes the same observations about logic in Thailand-it doesn't exist.

"One of the first things you learn as a Westerner coming to Thailand is that "logic" or common sense as we like to call it does not exist ..."

Wow. What a lot of xenophobic, racist, neocolonialist irrelevant nonsense.

And at the same time true

The Great Wall is NOT one of the wonders of the ancient world, but it is impressive.

Having said that, one must wonder about the mentality of anyone who scrawls graffiti in 2014, let alone on such a structure.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Please, what possible excuse can you make for a vandal, no matter the ease of washing-off their graffiti. The photos may be old too, but that still does not make the act of vandalism acceptable.

How do you think these idiots would feel if the Chinese started scrawling graffiti all over the Thai people's most sacred monuments or even pictures of he who is held most sacred here???

I think they may understand their stupidity when the shoe is on the other foot.

In a way, I hope it happens.

No comparing apples to apples at all -- the wall has all sorts of graffiti in certain areas (mostly Chinese) and somebody simply went around and snapped pics of those which were Thai and posted them online.

It is such a problem that ....

China Creating Designated 'Graffiti Zones' on Great Wall ... http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/china-creating-designated-graffiti-zones-great-wall-n50046 (First published March 12th 2014)

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Many of the messages were proclamations that certain Thai individuals had been there, accompanied with their names.

I was there too with one of my names.

Travelling light huh! I try to travel with all 3 of my names when possible, although I may break this rule for short weekend breaks when I don't like to encumber myself with unnecessary monikers.

• Like 1

The Great Wall is NOT one of the wonders of the ancient world, but it is impressive.

Having said that, one must wonder about the mentality of anyone who scrawls graffiti in 2014, let alone on such a structure.

You are correct, the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World does not include the Great Wall--however, the New Seven Wonders of the World does. The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World are all centered in the Mediterranean rim, hardly the boundary of the world--somewhat akin to US Baseball calling their championship game the World Series.

• Like 1