NCPO: all motorbike taxi drivers to wear green uniform

webfact

NCPO: all motorbike taxi drivers to wear green uniform

PNSOC570707001000101_07072014_101027.jpg

BANGKOK, 7 July 2014, (NNT) - The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has decided to have all motorbike taxi drivers wear green uniforms, in its latest attempt to standardize and regulate the famous mode of public transportation.

According to Commander of the 1st King's Guard Regiment, Major General Apiratch Kongsompong, who is in charge of regulating motorbike taxi services in Bangkok, almost all of the drivers have officially registered with the authorities.

Major General Apiratch said further that motorcycle taxi drivers who operate without a license or refuse to register will be subject to punishment in accordance to the law.

He said he would meet with the Department of Land Transport today to discuss the Council's plan to have taxi motorcyclists wear green uniforms bearing identification code.

Major General Apiratch reasoned that green and orange are universal colors for public services as they are clearly visible; however; orange may indicate that the drivers are still under the control of local mafia.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-07 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

Makes you wonder what all the crap going on behind the scenes is when its these things that are being made public to distract everyone.

Perhaps you don't really understand the extent of the corruption. What seems like a little thing to you, is probably a bigger problem than you might realise.

I'm sure that you can imagine that in a government coalition there are many mouths to feed. Each faction wants their reward for supporting the government.

It supposed to be a democracy, but often it just appears like pigs feeding at a trough.

As the current administration is not bound to these factions, it is able to clean up some of the rampant corruption.

So far, so good.

• Like 1

I would think that they would have thought of a high visibility color. But Obviously Red is out of the Question. Same goes with Yellow. With Orange associated with local mafias - what color are they left with? GREEN? Surely, they could have done better than that!!!

Makes you wonder what all the crap going on behind the scenes is when its these things that are being made public to distract everyone.

you so right, all these big BS, that we read daily about reorganize taximotosai or missing rice, are just fairy tales made by the dear leader

to distract the country from the real problems.

Come on, just yesterday, they did propose to make deals between the local loan sharks and the banks to solve your personal debts!

What a joke!laugh.png

• Like 2

Perhaps you don't really understand the extent of the corruption. What seems like a little thing to you, is probably a bigger problem than you might realise.

I'm sure that you can imagine that in a government coalition there are many mouths to feed. Each faction wants their reward for supporting the government.

It supposed to be a democracy, but often it just appears like pigs feeding at a trough.

As the current administration is not bound to these factions, it is able to clean up some of the rampant corruption.

So far, so good.

It's called Broken Windows Theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

When reading the article replace 'vandalism' with 'low-level' mafia.

Motorcycle taxi driver’s jackets will be in light green colour in the near future

7-7-2014-10-23-52-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- All motorcycle taxies’ orange jackets will be changed into light green jackets and anyone can apply to become a motorcycle taxi driver in Bangkok by just registering with the Land Transport Department without have to pay under-the-table fees for the jackets, said Maj-Gen Apirat Kongsompong, commander of First Division, who is in charge of resolving the motor cycle taxi problem.

He said that, in the past, several motorcycle taxi drivers had to pay a huge amount of money, as much as over 100,000 baht, for an orange jacket to the Mafia-type gang in order to be able to operate in profitable routes.

From now on, the general said the orange jackets will be phased out and replaced by light green jackets to be issued by the Land Transport Department.

He played down the concern that there would be too many motorcycle taxi drivers if there is no cap on their number, explain that this kind of business would be subjected to the law of supply and demand and if the demand is low in certain areas the drivers would quit the practice.

The army will organize a short training course to educate some 1,000 drivers of traffic laws and public safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/motorcycle-taxi-drivers-jackets-will-light-green-colour-near-future/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-07

The army will organize a short training course to educate some 1,000 drivers of traffic laws and public safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/motorcycle-taxi-drivers-jackets-will-light-green-colour-near-future/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-07-07

Helmets are what is needed for public safety, better to use one that's 'unsanitary' than to have your brains splattered in the road.

what about the provision of crash helmets for passengers? A bit more important I would have thought if making 'reforms'

And ensure that the thousands of motor bike taxis have a drivers licence........no insurance for the passengers in a crash if they have no licence.

I guess having an easily seen brightly coloured uniform is out of the question. Of course it is! That would be too logical! Stick 'em in camouflage green and make them harder to see!

The utter stupidity. Good for a laugh I guess. That's why I love this country. Free entertainment.

I would think that they would have thought of a high visibility color. But Obviously Red is out of the Question. Same goes with Yellow. With Orange associated with local mafias - what color are they left with? GREEN? Surely, they could have done better than that!!!

How about burnt orange?? Green is for smoking.

• Like 1

I think for quite some time now in the U.S. and elsewhere, it has been established that "safety lime yellow' is safer for fire trucks, safety vests, etc. and it is mandated for use at airports in the U.S. I do hope this is the color they have in mind! Reflective stripes are a good idea also.

Have a look here:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=safety+lime+yellow&client=firefox-a&hs=yfn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nny6U-TqC9e78gXO1oGgDQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1224&bih=801

The idea could be to have them as military reservists

On another matter, I once approached a motorcycle taxi chappie for a 40 baht ride, but only had a 1,000 baht note on me. I asked him if he could change it - before getting on the bike, he replied "No problem" and pulled the biggest roll of 1,000, 500 and 100 baht notes out his vest that I have ever seen

As a consumer I'm not sure what the fuss is about in respect of motorbike taxis. Sure, they can be dangerous particularly if no helmet is provided, but no more than any other kind of transportation on Thai roads. I use them all the time, and find them cheap, convenient and plentiful. No charging structure other than asking in advance, but I've never had a problem with the fare quoted.

Like the airport taxis, this crackdown seems to be about what is going on in the background among Thais, than actually improving consumer convenience/safety/cost experience.

I guess its important to those effected.