Bangkok metro police to deal with taxis refusing service

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how does the country / any country ensure there is a workable, reliable taxi service.

To me this equates to allowing / continuing to allow a restaurant to prepare / serve food which is contaminated in some way.

In regard to shift change, why not use the same system that's been in place in Singapore for decades and works, they put a large print sign in the window saying:

'SHIFT CHANGE 4:00 PM' or whatever.

Not difficult.

Not difficult, but you won't like the answer.

Other countries don't have fare structures like $1.20 on the flag drop and $8 (total) for the 3/4- 1 hour it takes me to get home from the airport (BKK).

Same ride in Seoul, Korea is between $30-100 depending on what color taxi I got into. Learned that the hard way, and it was perfectly legal- black taxi- nice ride, but very expensive.

China? After 10 km, the km rate goes up by 50%, on the theory that the driver will no longer be in his home area and will probably have to deadhead back.

Chicago? O'Hare to my uncle's place about 5 km away was over $20 (in fairness, there was construction and had to drive around 10 km). Once, it cost me $75 taxi just to find a hotel close to the airport with a room available.

LAX? hopped in a taxi, had him take me to the nearest bank branch and back to the airport. Less than 20 minutes and more than $35, and that was over 10 years ago..

Bangkok taxis are CHEAP. The problem being that there are rides where they make nothing, or even less. My opinion- the fare should go up, or they should be allowed to decline a ride.

Edited by impulse

Ok, it's annoying, but taxi drivers should not be prosecuted for refusing fares. It's their car, it's their source of income, it's their decision. And yes I've been refused, but I've also walked away from taxis where the driver was clearly drunk or looked exhausted from working too long. Choice is a two way street with taxis.

Driving recklessly, now, that's completely different. Ban them for that, refusing a fare is one thing, endangering others a totally different one.

I think you have the whole concept of "taxi service" wrong, unless the driver deem the passenger

to be an undesirable type, intoxicated or carrying unfamiliar or dangerous items than they should

not refuse service, this is a "service" where by he's licensed to carry passengers,

by saying what you're saying now, than unless the passenger suits the driver's idea of destination

he has the right to refuse service,

what will happened if all service givers will choose who to give service too?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ok, it's annoying, but taxi drivers should not be prosecuted for refusing fares. It's their car, it's their source of income, it's their decision. And yes I've been refused, but I've also walked away from taxis where the driver was clearly drunk or looked exhausted from working too long. Choice is a two way street with taxis.

Driving recklessly, now, that's completely different. Ban them for that, refusing a fare is one thing, endangering others a totally different one.

Agreed. It is a taxi driver's right to say yes or no to a destination, IMHO.

If a taxi driver is planning on knocking off in 30 mins, then gets a fayre which takes him/her to the other side of BKK, as an example, 100Km away from home... why should he not have the right to only accept a few fayres which keep him within range of home, and his knocking off time? There are many such examples of a taxi drivers right to accept or refuse a fayre. Should a taxi have to accept a passenger who is inebriated, for example? The list is endless... and it's not a long wait in most places for another taxi to come passing.

So how does the country / any country ensure there is a workable, reliable taxi service.

To me this equates to allowing / continuing to allow a restaurant to prepare / serve food which is contaminated in some way.

In regard to shift change, why not use the same system that's been in place in Singapore for decades and works, they put a large print sign in the window saying:

Not difficult.

Is it a country's pre-requisite to have a reliable, workable taxi service, which is not ultimately responsible to the government, but is indeed a privately owned Co.? I don't see any equation at all between a taxi service and restaurants serving or not serving contaminated food... I'd appreciate your explanation on that one, please.

What happened to self-reliability, cycles, other modes of transport which governments are, to some degree (buses, trains), responsible for? Has it become laziness, and ingratitude if one has to wait 30 mins for a taxi, as opposed to calling a friend or family, cycling home, not having a car or motorbike (or not being sober enough to use such), and blame it all on a taxi driver who also has family responsibilities, and a life too??

In 11 years here, in all and all, I have never once had a bad taxi service/ride/dupe attempt, and I'm talking from North to South, east to West: not only Bangkok. Self is a lot to do with it, and attitude, even before getting into a taxi, and how one presents oneself to a taxi. If one is in control of one's assets, and has bothered to learn to speak Thai, even to say 'ow bai...., na krap'.. then the offered respect is generally reciprocated - in most circumstances aside of taxis also.

Until taxi services are government run, in any country as you allude to, and with which I agree, then what stops one from using self-means, or expecting to wait for kind service, if one doesn't perceive the initial offer acceptable??

You must be one of the luckiest people alive and in BKK today. I don't know very many people at all, who haven't had a bad taxi experience. I have got in a taxi home from work and immediately knew Id made a mistake, by the chemical smell in the air. This was proved right when he started laughing maniacally and twitching at the wheel. I stopped and got out pretty quick! If you try and get a taxi almost anywhere from Soi 11 (Sukhumvit) your use of Thai and politeness will still get you no where! They only want fares to certain places specifically Clubs like Insanity and Bash. A short trip home to Rama 9 is almost ALWAYS refused. I speak Thai, I am polite and don't make an arse of myself and it makes no difference at all!

I think they should have the right to refuse if they are going off shift within the hour, and should post a sign saying so. The rest of them are just a nasty local mafia. If you want any more evidence nip out to Molly Malones in Silom for a Guiness, then try to get a taxi. Basically anything parked and waiting is Mafia and will not use a meter. You have to walk almost as far as the Dusit Thani and stop one driving to get any honesty.

When are the police going to enforce the laws against car and motorcycle drivers who have no public driving license, no insurance and drive and park dangerously.

Never as they only seem to put roadblocks up.. Though that takes care of the driving license and insurance.. but never about how they drive.

I thought the great NCPO had already reformed the police by transferring a few of their boys into the top positions.................

I think you have the whole concept of "taxi service" wrong, unless the driver deem the passenger

to be an undesirable type, intoxicated or carrying unfamiliar or dangerous items than they should

not refuse service, this is a "service" where by he's licensed to carry passengers,

by saying what you're saying now, than unless the passenger suits the driver's idea of destination

he has the right to refuse service,

what will happened if all service givers will choose who to give service too?

They can and they do, for example restaurants can have a dress code (so did clubs when I was young). But that's not important to my argument. I just happen to believe that if you own/are renting a car it's up to you who gets in or where you take it. The drivers the one who loses income by doing this.

Getting people out of the habit of asking them first would go a long way too. Just open the door and get in. I have never been refused that way. Of course a lot of complaining, but that's their problem. The only time I haven't been able to is when they lock the door and open the window to talk. In those cases, I just walk away and wait for the next one.

Yesss !!! My policy too !

By law, I can sit amd demand the meter, correct? No bartering on price. If he demands a set fee, I take photo of his taxi #, Get out, and repirt him. One time I took photo of cab driver, he pulled out a bat, I graciously grabbed the idiot, placed him in hia trunk.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If a taxi driver is planning on knocking off in 30 mins, then gets a fayre which takes him/her to the other side of BKK, as an example, 100Km away from home... why should he not have the right to only accept a few fayres which keep him within range of home, and his knocking off time? There are many such examples of a taxi drivers right to accept or refuse a fayre. Should a taxi have to accept a passenger who is inebriated, for example? The list is endless... and it's not a long wait in most places for another taxi to come passing.

Not difficult.

Is it a country's pre-requisite to have a reliable, workable taxi service, which is not ultimately responsible to the government, but is indeed a privately owned Co.? I don't see any equation at all between a taxi service and restaurants serving or not serving contaminated food... I'd appreciate your explanation on that one, please.

What happened to self-reliability, cycles, other modes of transport which governments are, to some degree (buses, trains), responsible for? Has it become laziness, and ingratitude if one has to wait 30 mins for a taxi, as opposed to calling a friend or family, cycling home, not having a car or motorbike (or not being sober enough to use such), and blame it all on a taxi driver who also has family responsibilities, and a life too??

In 11 years here, in all and all, I have never once had a bad taxi service/ride/dupe attempt, and I'm talking from North to South, east to West: not only Bangkok. Self is a lot to do with it, and attitude, even before getting into a taxi, and how one presents oneself to a taxi. If one is in control of one's assets, and has bothered to learn to speak Thai, even to say 'ow bai...., na krap'.. then the offered respect is generally reciprocated - in most circumstances aside of taxis also.

Until taxi services are government run, in any country as you allude to, and with which I agree, then what stops one from using self-means, or expecting to wait for kind service, if one doesn't perceive the initial offer acceptable??

Damn! Ubon you're getting more and more pretentious every day! Have you never been standing on the side of the road with an armload of shopping, in a hurry to get home for whatever reason and have 10 taxi's refuse to take you because of any of half a dozen reasons? Most taxi drivers don't have any idea of the roads or areas around Bangkok, and if you jump into your favourite taxi, say "ow bai etc" You have just done what an earlier OP has said and got into the taxi first and then asked if he/she could take you to.....!

Have you made any allowance for tourists to LOS who merely want to go to their hotel in Chong Nongsi?

Quite rude! wai.gif

I offer to be a decoy to catch as many as possible. Then the jet ski Mafia and so on. Why do they announce their intentions and give warning. Just make arrests and the news will travel faster than a runaway tuk tuk.

Have a nice day...

The only place I've been refused is Sukhumvit road and thats on multiple occassions. The other times which is around 3-400 pm when the taxi has to be returned to the depot.

Simple to fix...they should post a notice..."Within 30 minutes prior to shift change, Taxi is limited to 3 km / Max 30 minute taxi rides"

With similar logic, the drivers could refuse fares if you are Farang, if you are a single female, if you have luggage, if you are going to an unfashionable part of town, if you have children, if you are a different race, if you are pregnant, if your appearance is unkempt and so on.

The drivers enter into an agreement with the Bangkok Police and BMA. It may be their car or they may rent it. They provide a service and should not be given free reign to decide who they want as a fare.

With similar logic, the drivers could refuse fares if you are Farang, if you are a single female, if you have luggage, if you are going to an unfashionable part of town, if you have children, if you are a different race, if you are pregnant, if your appearance is unkempt and so on.

The drivers enter into an agreement with the Bangkok Police and BMA. It may be their car or they may rent it. They provide a service and should not be given free reign to decide who they want as a fare.

Wel I wouldn't pick up a drunken farang puking all over the street and hailing me down. Where is the line drawn? There has to be some free reign, does there not?

Only on Sunday took three taxis to get one to take from Sathorn to Sunkumvit. One had the door locked and while i tried to get in he drove off and near took my hand off.

I normally try to get in, one just played dumb to my girl as if he did not know where Gaysorn was.

Hope they sort this. Unbelievable they way they are sorting problems that have been around for a decade. They are doing it in days.

I for one do not care what the USA thinks, they should sort their own problems first.

The army would win an election now anyway, not based on bribes, just on performance.

Go to Dubai. Any public taxi, you get in, they treat you well, cars are clean, and he will immediately click the meter. There are no games.

Thai Taxis should NEVER ask to negotiate a set fee. These taxis are simply stealing money from their Taxi companies.

It should be immediate meter, "Where can I take you Sir/Mam". Taxis are a big part of the image of Thailand. Tourist experiences/images of Thailand are very much

created through their experiences with a Taxi Cab Driver. Cabbies need to be professional.

Its not about refusing fares that is the issue, Its about refusing to switch their meters on. And asking a fixed price which is way above the metered fare. But in reality they should not be able to refuse a customer unless of drunkenness or some other good reason. But to refuse a fare because the journey is too short is against their taxi licence rules, after all a taxi driver is in a way a public servant as his licence is granted by a public office.

The police should be cracking down on the illegal taxis , the yaba-fuelled drivers and the dirty broken taxis that are not fit for the roads.. Thats my lean on it... but who cares what another Farang thinks..? whistling.gif

Ok I agree refusing to use the metre or trying to rip people off with extortionate fares is a problem that does require some action.

However the OP and my post were about whether a taxi driver has the right to refuse a fare, not about drivers trying to exploit the customer.

The real issue is that Thailand image is impacted by these taxi cab drivers. Thailand's goal is to always try to improve the tourist experience. I for one, can't stand it when taxis try to barter with me along the streets and will not consider the meter. Goto other nations and its a very clean and simple process. Honestly, most of thailand is not a problem, it is only in the tourist hot spots. How about those taxis that sit along Sukhumvit for hours, just waiting for that one sucker to pay 4x more for a taxi ride? Thailand has been improving the taxi rules and they should continue to improve.

- Simple sign that says, 30 minutes prior to shift change (5pm), no taxi rides more than 5km or 15minutes. Solves everyones's concerns.

- Absolute requirement for meter use. No exceptions, with a sign on each taxi that says "Negotiated FEES with Taxi cab drivers prohibited. Call XXX-XXXX-XXXX if Driver violates this rule.

So let's see... You go to a restaurant and the waitress refuses to wait on you, just because... It's my opinion that if you choose your line of business then you should do your job. Anything less your just not doing your job. If a taxi driver refuses his services then he shouldn't even stop, he should just drive on by. The moment he stops that tells me that he is willing and able and ready for his next fair. If after that he refuses then he simply isn't doing his job.

its amazing really that one has to involve the police in a simple taxi fare!

I am amazed at all these events/stories where licensed taxi drivers are allowed to get away with breaching their license conditions to be a taxi,

Why is the taxi licensing authority so weak

Its their job to licence and Monitor the taxis.

No wonder the police get pissed off and want a bit of tea....because they end up doing the other guys job.

Why is the General not getting these fat cat Taxi licensing Authority workers, management and boss's of these guys getting them to Do their jobs.

If I was a copper on the street where I was called to sort out a Taxi issue I would be phoning the Licensing Authority and getting right up them.

Its just another form of graft....that is the guys who license the taxis are not doing their job.

Dear General, please just get all these lazy sods to do their jobs and you will be in front.

save us both some time. i disagree with your points, i think they are are facetious and spurious. You don't. We won't agree. lets leave it at that.

So let's see... You go to a restaurant and the waitress refuses to wait on you, just because... It's my opinion that if you choose your line of business then you should do your job. Anything less your just not doing your job. If a taxi driver refuses his services then he shouldn't even stop, he should just drive on by. The moment he stops that tells me that he is willing and able and ready for his next fair. If after that he refuses then he simply isn't doing his job.

no, they're exercising their right to choice.

Refusing a fare must be allowed except when Taxi drivers will not take you because you will not go where they want you to go. I have been twice refused by a taxi at the main train station because I would not allow him to take me on a side trip to a tailor shop to be fitted for a suit. It seems he gets gasoline from that shop if he brings customers.

When are the police going to enforce the laws against car and motorcycle drivers who have no public driving license, no insurance and drive and park dangerously.

the OP is about taxis who refuse to take fares.

From which the quote was taken.

Not hard to see where this is going personal crusades. Here is the truth.

Deputy Commander of the Metropolitan Police Pol.Maj.Gen.Niphon Charoenphon said the metro police had been assigned by the National Council for Peace and Order to inspect taxi operators and enforce laws against taxi drivers who refused service, had no public driving license, had no insurance and drove dangerously.

Nothing about parking or motorbikes. Or private car owners.

Agreed. And they should be required to provide seat belts in back!

The right to refuse a fare may well be justified however that is not the buggers that gets my dander up. It is the grinning scumbags who hang around entertainment areas looking for the easy pickings and will only take you on a fixed fare basis which in normally 200/250% of the metered fare minimum. Suburban Bangkok is generally not a problem and most taxi's are happy to get the business, but these despot taxi's that occupy the night life regions need a seeing too. When I am approached by these grinning jackals I just laugh and walk on, but it is bloody annoying.

The right to refuse a fare may well be justified however that is not the buggers that gets my dander up. It is the grinning scumbags who hang around entertainment areas looking for the easy pickings and will only take you on a fixed fare basis which in normally 200/250% of the metered fare minimum. Suburban Bangkok is generally not a problem and most taxi's are happy to get the business, but these despot taxi's that occupy the night life regions need a seeing too. When I am approached by these grinning jackals I just laugh and walk on, but it is bloody annoying.

When I first came to Bangkok doing contract work wanted to find my own apartment and all that, the full experience, rather than have anyone do it for me. First few weeks I stayed at a reasonable serviced apartment (Sitara) off of Pra Ram 9 on Ratchada. After a few weeks I found a place on Suk soi 13 walking distance from my office (interchange tower). It was a Thursday around 2pm when I was ready to move, I only had a large duffle bag and a messenger bag. Talked to building owner's daughter and asked her to call a taxi, she told me that it was a busy time and might be a challenge - then called. About 45 minutes and still no taxi I thought hell with it - took a tuk tuk over to Fortune IT and approached a couple taxis parked - none of them wanted to go to Sukhumwit soi 13 ("rot dit mak mak"). I'm pretty harmless and polite in person and thought -- &lt;deleted&gt;. I spoke with the daughter again on the phone and she sent a security guy over on motosai taxi to help me haha. He spoke to a few taxis and I saw him getting irritated at the declines. I went up as he was arguing with the last one and just said 'song roi' (200). I got a smile and 'lor?..ok kaap' in response. Sure enough it took about an hour to go 6 kilometers and traffic was sick. I can empathize with both sides. Maybe.

I agree completely that on Sukhumwit at night it's a whole different ballgame. NEVER get a parked taxi there, you will get an absurd overcharge or a rejection (unless you're going to one of the after-hours clubs that pays the drivers). Always walk out to where traffic is moving, flag a taxi and say meter. And I would always clear that first before entering, never just sit in a taxi and demand it - wasn't someone macheted to death a year or so ago over an upcharge taxi trip on sukhumwit? Most of the drivers are alright but... yeah, a few nutters here and there.

Anyway, if the country is doing something about the taxi mafia - I'm all for it. People that use this kind of thing to legitimize a coup scare the hell out me, but I'm all for a crackdown on the over-charges, scams, and declines for reasons of greed.

A driver offered a fare for 100km is not going to choose to go home. No way, no how. Not even for his own birthday party.

A quite simple 3 strikes and you're out policy, but not the driver to take the hit... the actual car to be seized and crushed, then the boss who owns the cars will make sure it don't happen.

Hitting the drivers is useless, they tried that already, nothing was enforced, and if they banned the driver, they would ignore it and carry on driving anyway.

Great idea. If the owner tells the driver he will get in trouble if the driver refuses a fare, the problem is solved. The owners can afford a fine. I say take the cars away for one month. Fine the owner 100,000 baht. Problem solved.