Thai Immigration Bureau to blacklist all overstayers of more than 90 days

If this is for real as it seems it is, many innocent people are going to get hurt ... some really badly. That is no cause for celebration or tsk tsk gloating. You might be next.

This post addressed to all who have expressed happiness over this news not one person.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK...

So i need a new passport as mine is full. With the current delays with British passports overstay is unavoidable for me. As my existing passport is cancelled when the application is received in the UK, I cannot leave the country or get an extension to avoid overstay. With the delays it is also possible that I could go over 90 days overstay.

So, because of the delays I could get banned for 1 year if I surrender or, even worse, get banned for 5 years if apprehended?

Harsh just doesn't cover it! Are cases such as mine taken into account?

Not saying this is right, but you can get an emergency passport for 95 GBP equivalent from the British Embassy in Bangkok to allow you to fly back to the UK to renew your passport.

So you are not forced to go on overstay, but it's obviously a painfully expensive exercise this way.

This is assuming you do not even have room in your passport for the one small Thai exit stamp that would be required if you flew back to the UK to renew.

The British passport renewal system is broken, having now become a massive fiasco with application to collection renewal delays running to a predicted minimum of 8-10 weeks.

There is quite a lot of collateral damage going on at the moment.

Sorry about your situation and btw welcome to the train wreck.

• Like 1

Question, as I have no clue as I am from one of the Schengen States.

In my country we can renew our passport up to 6-7 months (maybe even more) in advance, can you do this with UK passports?

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

In my country we can renew our passport up to 6-7 months (maybe even more) in advance, can you do this with UK passports?

Yes, if it is full, and of course if you are going to travel, as most airlines wont allow people to travel with less than 6 months validity. My last passport I was a year short of it expiring, so I got an extra year on my renewal. I reckon I'll need a new one next year, think I will get mine when back in the UK

• Like 1

UK passports are cancelled once an application for a replacement has been received. Renewing well in advance doesn't necessarily mean you have plenty of time to use your existing one.

Edited by Moonrakers

UK passports are cancelled once an application for a replacement has been received. Renewing well in advance doesn't necessary mean you have plenty of time to use your existing one.

That is the same with our passports, the passport is made invalid and we get a form of sorts saying something like "the holder of this passport has applied for a new passport blah blah blah". But I must stress our renewal doesn't take anywhere as long as yours

Still not sure why more arent checking out Cambo - not my first choice, but as a fallback option you could do worse and I doubt that you'll find an easier 12-month Business visa anywhere if the reports on TV are accurate. I wasnt a fan of PP, but that was 4 years ago - hopefully the country is steadily getting it's act together.

Yeah good to see Moonrakers back, must catch up next time in BKK

Indeed. The forum has been a much poorer place in his absence. Please buy young rakers on my behalf, god knows you owe me for all that unpaid nursing I did for you whilst you were ill.

On topic, clearly with the current state of affairs people are going to need to plan well in advance when dealing with issues such as passport renewal etc.

A little forward planning may save one a lot of grief.

• Like 1

My passports full Toady, going to the UK isn't an option

you have a British passport and you say because it's "full" you cant return to the UK ?Duhhhhh? So you say Thai immigration wont find a space on a page to let you exit?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Still not sure why more arent checking out Cambo - not my first choice, but as a fallback option you could do worse and I doubt that you'll find an easier 12-month Business visa anywhere if the reports on TV are accurate. I wasnt a fan of PP, but that was 4 years ago - hopefully the country is steadily getting it's act together.

I lived there for over a year, but Thailand is IMHO a lot better to live then Cambodia, but i'm also a little bit biased as I have a Thai wife and love it here and don't (yet) have any problems with Thai Immigration Law ;)

you have a British passport and you say because it's "full" you cant return to the UK ?Duhhhhh? So you say Thai immigration wont find a space on a page to let you exit?

It is FULL.

There is no space. Duhhh!

Edited by Moonrakers

It is FULL.

Then make an appointment to get an ETD for 95 GBP from the British Embassy in BKK and fly back to the UK to sort out your passport or overstay - your choice.

Financially painful albeit, but you do still have choices - no thanks to the British Government though who have basically thrown its overseas based citizens with expiring or full passports to the dogs.

I hate to sound like the voice of reason but after reading this whole thread I think it is still a rumor. Correct?

Nope, I and I think many others too wish it is just a rumor, but it isn't.

Many foreigners around Thailand already had to sign documents in Immigration offices that made them aware that these rules are already in effect.

Edited by MJCM

It is FULL.

you dont need to have empty space in passport to enter the country of origin. Making excuses for overstaying or not returning ?

It is FULL.

you dont need to have empty space in passport to enter the country of origin. Making excuses for overstaying or not returning ?

Excuse me, but you need for leaving Thailand, but maybe they can find some (they seem to be good at that) ;)

• Like 1

I hate to sound like the voice of reason but after reading this whole thread I think it is still a rumor. Correct?

Many foreigners around Thailand already had to sign documents in Immigration offices that made them aware that these rules are already in effect.

Link please. I still think it is a rumor.

Link please. I still think it is a rumor.

Here you go:

Sakhon Nakhon Immigration Office: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740965-first-reports-of-new-overstay-crackdown/?p=8072255

Phuket Town Immigration Office: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740965-first-reports-of-new-overstay-crackdown/?p=8072408

• Like 1

For the poster with no space in his passport for his Thai exit stamp....

(Sorry TV wouldn't allow me to use the quote function...)

If you have any old "used" stick-in Cambodian visas, just leave that page in the sun for a few hours... This will make the glue dry up and the sticker easily peels off (if it doesn't simply fall out) leaving a slightly dirty but empty page - problem solved....

For the poster with no space in his passport for his Thai exit stamp....

(Sorry TV wouldn't allow me to use the quote function...)

If you have any old "used" stick-in Cambodian visas, just leave that page in the sun for a few hours... This will make the glue dry up and the sticker easily peels off (if it doesn't simply fall out) leaving a slightly dirty but empty page - problem solved....

Oke, but what are you telling Immigration when they see a part of the Cambodian Immigration stamp on the same page?

What you are telling him to do could cause him a lot of problems, and I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Ps: and isn't messing with your passport an offence?

Edited by MJCM

You have got to be kidding me. I have an overstay of 1 year and 1 day, that wasn't actually quite what it seems, but still that's what's in my passport. I have my 1 year 'O' visa and I'm flying back to Thailand after 18 months out of the country, finally going back again. When? Flying on August 12th, arriving 13th. sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Am I ok because they're talking about action now after this date for ppl only now surrendering themselves for overstay? I did this already back at the time, of course, and am now just re-entering, so I overstayed before this came into being. I've long since paid and been sent back, spent over a year and a half outside Thailand and am now going back with visa in passport. Think I'll be alright?

Edited by fauxie

You have got to be kidding me. I have an overstay of 1 year and 1 day, that wasn't actually quite what it seems, but still that's what's in my passport. I have my 1 year 'O' visa and I'm flying back to Thailand after 18 months out of the country, finally going back again. When? Flying on August 12th, arriving 13th. sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Is this definitely being pushed through?

it is about NEW cases AFTER MoI approval.

Not for OLD cases and not NOW.

• Like 1

You have got to be kidding me. I have an overstay of 1 year and 1 day, that wasn't actually quite what it seems, but still that's what's in my passport. I have my 1 year 'O' visa and I'm flying back to Thailand after 18 months out of the country, finally going back again. When? Flying on August 12th, arriving 13th.

Is this definitely being pushed through?

it is about NEW cases AFTER MoI approval.

Not for OLD cases and not NOW.

That's what I just thought (so edited my post), I could well be ok, it seems. My case was long-since sorted. I wouldn't typically overstay, never had done, but that's another story. I copped to it with help and advice of the British Embassy, paid what I had to, and came back. That was end of 2012.

Edited by fauxie

Common sense would say I'll be ok. I've not now overstayed after this has been put through, I'm just coming back now, but with Thailand you never know. It's a worry. Should I try to change my ticket? Or void it and buy a new one over just a few days? Crazy. I could be looking at spending another 18 months out of the country (to toal 3 years) if it goes badly.

Edited by fauxie

Old overstays as Paz said do not have to worry (and certainly not the already cleared ones) it's only the new ones that should worry

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typosp

Edited by MJCM

Well, thanks for saying that and reassuring me. I hope it's correct! I'm going to be worrying though. I haven't seen my wife in so long. I thought a nightmare was coming to an end soon, and now just have to hope that is the case.

• Like 1

Think I'll call one of the consulates in the UK tomorrow, just for further reassurance, as otherwise I will be a wreck for the next 5 weeks and I was already a little nervous as it was. I think one of my fears is that even though it shouldn't affect me there could be some confusion and misunderstanding when I go through passport control with this new law going through and with them seeing a 1 year overstay in my passport.