Immigration clarifies and confirms overstay crackdown

From the OP, "the proposal to start blacklisting some overstayers has been submitted to the Ministry of Interior for approval"

Does anyone know how long it takes to get approval from the Ministry of Interior?"

Can only see gloom and doom for the economy I would think that overstays. Must be in the 1,000s if not millions and who will foot the bill to deport all these people I would assume that if they cannot afford a visa then they would not have the money to leave the kingdom I would assume the biggest offenders would be those from neighbouring countries Burma,Cambodia,Malaysia all these people would be doing the jobs Thais won't touch

From the OP, "the proposal to start blacklisting some overstayers has been submitted to the Ministry of Interior for approval"

Does anyone know how long it takes to get approval from the Ministry of Interior?"

in the OP it says: "is expected to come into effect by the end of the month", so approval would have to come before that time.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM

Can only see gloom and doom for the economy I would think that overstays. Must be in the 1,000s if not millions and who will foot the bill to deport all these people I would assume that if they cannot afford a visa then they would not have the money to leave the kingdom I would assume the biggest offenders would be those from neighbouring countries Burma,Cambodia,Malaysia all these people would be doing the jobs Thais won't touch

These people are daily deported by bus anyway, not a big deal for Thailand.

For other countries, Thailand does not pay for deportation, ever.

If anything, the measure will cause people seeking reduced ban terms to turn themselves in voluntarily and leave.

All in all, marginal or no difference in terms of IDC population.

I doubt that these overstay rules have anything to do with the nations you mention, as they are more a burden when caught (read no overstay fine to be had (500 thb a day HAHA forgot it, as they only get free Transportation back home) to the Thai government.

My guess is that these rules are brought into affect for us Westerners.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Sorry, but for me to understand better.

Before if you overstayed more than 40 days and up to whatever period after that, you had to pay 20,000 Baht to get out of Thailand, but you could come back any time you liked.

What is the change now?

You will be blacklisted and what?

You will not be able to come back to Thailand?

And for how long?

Do you still have to pay the 20K?

Before if you overstayed more than 40 days and up to whatever period after that, you had to pay 20,000 Baht to get out of Thailand, but you could come back any time you liked.

What is the change now?

And for how long?

At the top of this thread there is a picture, click on it to enlarge and read it.

Or you can browse in the many other threads.

Of course one will still have to pay fines in all cases.

• Like 2

What is the change now?

And for how long?

At the top of this thread there is a picture, click on it to enlarge and read it.

Or you can browse in the many other threads.

Of course one will still have to pay fines in all cases.

Thank you, it's very blurred on my screen, had to use the magnifying glass.

But got the answers.

The link in the OP appears to answer the question I have been asking about the detail of people APPREHENDED on overstay under one year getting a 5 year ban, even if the overstay is under 90 days.

It's odd though that the text people are now being asked to sign includes the text giving the apparently WRONG impression that an overstay of even one day would result in a 5 year ban IF APPREHENDED.

I am reading "caught" and "apprehended" (the word on the form) as being the same thing.

Hopefully, assuming this "crackdown" actually goes through, this correction can also be made on the form and well communicated to immigration enforcement and the foreigners potentially impacted.

Lt Col Banphot Kittivira, Deputy Superintendent of the Immigration checkpoint at Sadao, on the Malaysian border, confirmed that his office received a copy of the new form.
“Although the form currently states that any foreigners caught overstaying by less than a year will be banned from re-entering the Kingdom for five years, please note that this will only apply to foreigners who overstay by more than 90 days,” he said.
“Any foreigners who overstay less than 90 days will be subjected to the normal 500-baht a day fine.”
- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Immigration-looks-enforce-life-ban-overstays-within/31105#ad-image-1
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

does this crackdown pertain to all foreigners or just westerners? (serious question)

With the exception of neighboring countries that have special agreements with the Thai government it would obviously apply to Asians, Europeans, Africans, Americans, et al.

Some of the recent brouhaha was supposedly aimed particularly at South Koreans and Russians, neither of which would be considered westerners.

Think of all the money that will be lost. This doesn't seem like a good idea. Taking money out of an economy rarely makes it grow. Strange.

I don't think they care and the money loss will be minimal if they can eradicate all the criminals and drifters, improve the tourism market and encourage 'real paying' tourists to visit the country......because less face it, these rules only effect those who don't have a lot of money, are too lazy to get a real visa, or are not in a position to apply for a visa because they are wanted on some system somewhere!

• Like 1

I just read the OP and 2 replies.

Sorry, DON'T overstay or DON't get caught when you do.

For the rest, it will be the usual 1000+ or 10.000+ posters that respond, ...

of who(M) a certain percentage is on overstay

wub.png

It's good to see Thailand trying to get rid of more of its trash.

Mango your 100% right, this country wants to move upward and its starts with stopping the trash of the world living and working here illegally.

• Like 2

Good in many ways,

The guy (or girl) who overstays are just a pain,

I got told off in Chiang Mai for this guy (basically a beggar) because I did not buy him a beer.

Overstay nearly 8 years, No money, living in the village, their kindness kept him alive.

The Thais have have enough trouble looking after themselves without us bludging on them,

Send the bludgers home,

Sorry, no sympathy

I foresee many outbound trips in the next three weeks. Just out of sheer curiosity, what percentage of the western expats do you think fall into the habitual overstayer category? 5%? 10%? Depends on the day?

10% is not too "inconcievable" I think.

Depends on what makes up the other 90%! If you include all (real) tourists, retirees, WP holders, expats on non imm visas/extensions, In would suggest it is much less than 1% (much less!). The "problem" is so small it's laughable - and the fine on the way home is the best way of dealing with it.

A 90 day overstay is not a lapse of memory. A day ok maybe that is but what they are doing is getting rid of the people who think the rules dont apply to them.

Despite what others on this forum think it will help the image of Thailand and that can only be a good thing.