Looking for a house to rent- thai landlords think we are stupid

jack71

The wife and I are looking for a house to rent. Late last week we looked at one that is owned by a policeman. We turned up and had a look around and after telling him how nice the house was he told us.... if we pay him 2 months deposit now we can move in tomorrow. Then he said that we dont have to worry about doing a contract. After having this translated to me I laughed. Its the only natural response to such a daft comment. I asked the wife to translate the fact that if we do actually decide to take the house that we would want a contract because everything must be legal etc. He then said 'Im also a lawyer'. No further comment required. Obviously we are not proceeding with that option

A few days later we had a look at another house. The landlord was dressed like an american rapper with sunglasses that he did not take off (even whilst inside the house). We told him that we liked the house. The landlord then told us that he wanted a years deposit up front. After this was translated to me I looked at the wife and we both burst into laughter. It was more of a <deleted> laugh. My gf has dr in front of her name and was wearing her hospital coat in full view. Despite this, he obviously thinks we are so stupid. Why else would he even suggest something as crazy as this to us. Maybe he thinks farang are stupid

This house needs to have 2 small air con systems installed and the guy told us that he would need the deposit funds to get them installed as he has no money. He asked for 3 months deposit and I said no....2 months max and there would have to be a clause in the contract re the 2 air con systems being installed.

It was only a verbal discussion but now I think that we should ring him back to say that we will only sign a contract and pay deposit after the air con systems have been installed. Im also tempted to negotiate a reduction in the deposit to a month and a half. In month 11 we can then not pay for the 12th month and then potentially only lose 1/2 a months rent- if he turns out to be a rogue landlord

Or maybe we should keep looking around. If this guy is acting like this before we even move in what is he going to be like during the tenancy. Any opinions on this are appreciated

thanks

jack

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

video everything inside the house as regards any damage or no damage as its hard to get deposits back as they will claim you caused the damage done by previous renters.

basically you can kiss any deposits goodbye as its like getting blood from a stone to get it returned .

contact with legal witnesses is essential

Wife then gf, the dr, the wearing of a hospital coat. Dearie me. Your alter ego fitfarang will enjoy this thread.

Edit

A stethoscope around the neck would have looked good too.

cheesy.gif

Edited by ravip
  • Like 2

I'm renting .. 3 bedroom on the outskirts of Bkk. 5k a month. Contract, no problem Landlady had the standard one from the land office .. it only had 1 air in the bedroom. I decided I wanted another downstairs so paid 19,500b to install an 18btu .. no problem I intend staying for at least 2 years so 812b extra per month. Pretty sure they would have charged more AND it's still mine!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

Wife then gf, the dr, the wearing of a hospital coat. Dearie me. Your alter ego fitfarang will enjoy this thread.

Oh well, since I'm typing ... rental contracts are govt controlled - not the rents, just the contract, so it's all standardised, unless arranged through a lawyer. See your friendly Land Dept office for a copy and a free minty.

to be envious is to be the lesser man

• Like 2

Hey Mate,

Your probably better off going through an agency, or if not looking online alot first... there is also a facebook group.

Your right with the deposit, 2 months... pretty much standard here I think.

good luck

I have had Thai people negotiate the rent on all but one property I have rented due to language problems.

Never paid more than one months rent in advance.

Cheapest was 3,000 a month for a 3 bed house and the most expensive was in Pattaya at 9,000 a month for 3 storeys. Cha-Am was 5,000 for 2 beds.

There have been many others I have turned down because of overpricing. It is a case of being patient.

Last trip I searched high and low for a condo. many were small boxes and 5,000+ a month. Eventually I found a 50sq mtr one for 5,000 a month in Pattaya.

Search long and hard and you will find.

edit typo on 5,000

Edited by WhamBam
  • Like 1

Keep looking.

The reason they think you are stupid, is because they are too stupid to realized you are smarter than them.

And like the man said, "You can't fix stupid."

The best landlords are (kind) elderly women.

• Like 1

I have had Thai people negotiate the rent on all but one property I have rented due to language problems.

Never paid more than one months rent in advance.

Cheapest was 3,000 a month for a 3 bed house and the most expensive was in Pattaya at 9,000 a month for 3 storeys. Cha-Am was 5,000 for 2 beds.

There have been many others I have turned down because of overpricing. It is a case of being patient.

Last trip I searched high and low for a condo. many were small boxes and 5,000+ a month. Eventually I found a 50sq mtr one for 5,000 a month in Pattaya.

Search long and hard and you will find.

edit typo on 5,000

Still a BOX 50SQ

Oh well, since I'm typing ... rental contracts are govt controlled - not the rents, just the contract, so it's all standardised, unless arranged through a lawyer. See your friendly Land Dept office for a copy and a free minty.

Complete nonsense. I negotiated substantial changes to our lease before signing. Insisted on verification of installation of additional appliances before signing.

Only the naive believe in such things as "standard" contracts.

Complete nonsense. I negotiated substantial changes to our lease before signing. Insisted on verification of installation of additional appliances before signing.

Not complete nonsense. You negotiated substantial changes but the basis of the contract is still the standard one.

Begs the question if it should ever come to a lawsuit what the court would think of your changes. I would not be so sure.

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

I always go for 2 mintys when they have those free mintys out.

Found 1 office with free mentos once. Was great.

• Like 1

I've rent 4 houses since living in Thailand.

Three were from Thai landlords and one was from a farang.

The only time I got screwed over was when I rented from the farang. It was the first property I rented, I'd not been in Thailand too long and he clearly saw me coming, I ended up paying well over the odds and then when we needed help with a problem at the house, the farang landlord was nowhere to be seen. He then vanished with part of our deposit.

Not all Thai landlords are bad, there is good and bad everywhere.

My advice would be always get a contract, look around and go and view as many properties as possible.

As someone said earlier, it's a renters market at the moment.

I would keep looking and not pay more than 1 months rent a 2 months security. You didn't say what area you are in as price and policy does fluctuate.

A friend here in KK just rented a new never lived in 3 bedroom 2 bath house with 4 aircon units and furnished for 13,000/mo. That's a pretty good deal.

Haddock is correct. read any 'standard' contracts very carefully indeed. If there is a translation, make sure that both say exactly the same thing. Trust me, even the ones issued directly by lawyers sometimes do NOT.

The so-called 'standard' contracts (not only renting properties, but other things too) are often flawed, usually leaving the landlord with rights that are unfair to the renter. You have every right to question any clause and to negotiate changes that are reasonable and acceptable to both parties. I have leased/rented over a dozen properties and in every case made changes to the contracts and walked away from those landlords that refused (usually only out of ignorance and fear).

Look elsewhere for sure, they are not all rogues

Possibly consider places that are a little more upscale and explain what you expect in terms of deposit and contracts before wasting your time and that of whoever is showing you around. A contract implies a mutual understanding of the terms. If you want something that the owner is not willing to offer then move on without all the editorial drama about who thinks who is stupid. You're allowing your fear of losing face to be blown out of proportion. It's a farang cultural handicap, but with a little planning and some Prozac you can deal with it.

• Like 1