Vendors begin to move off Phuket's Patong Beach

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the photo, originally posted with The Phuket News article, yesterday afternoon. At that time, many of the beach chair vendors and the jet ski gang were clearing their property from the beach. This morning, I also watched as the soldiers descended on the beach and told those who remained to clear their items. Currently, there are no jet skis in sight on Patong Beach.

No jet ski's could also be because of the waves at the moment.

I am hoping though they will not be allowed back on when the wind dies down.

so what will she do when the army goes away and they all begin the trek back to their beach claims.

Do you really think that the army would stand for that? Nothing has been confiscated yet,

Thousands of people visit Aus every year, no loungers etc.... no worries.

And the beaches are super clean. The sand filtering tractor runs up and down the beach every morning before the bathers arrive, filtering and taking away everything incuding cig butts and bottle tops. Beautiful !

I took the photo, originally posted with The Phuket News article, yesterday afternoon. At that time, many of the beach chair vendors and the jet ski gang were clearing their property from the beach. This morning, I also watched as the soldiers descended on the beach and told those who remained to clear their items. Currently, there are no jet skis in sight on Patong Beach.

Dont worry, they are al mounted on trailers with wheels ! whistling.gif

so what will she do when the army goes away and they all begin the trek back to their beach claims.

Do you really think that the army would stand for that? Nothing has been confiscated yet,

I certainly hope you are right, but this is Thailand ! rolleyes.gif

It will be nice to see "Cheap jet skis for sale at the newly formed "Army Disposals" clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

No jet ski's could also be because of the waves at the moment.

I am hoping though they will not be allowed back on when the wind dies down.

The jet skis were operating until about 4pm yesterday afternoon - the gang was out and about, and so were a lot of Chinese tourists. Just after 4pm, a bunch of taxi guys started running up and down the beach and telling everyone that the army was coming, and that is when everyone started clearing their stuff up.

The jet ski gang was about this morning when the officials and soldiers came to the beach, but again, there were no jet skis in sight.

• Like 2

I have no doubt that all the vendors expect this will blow over and by high season it will be to business as usual. I well member after the tsunami that we were all told the the vehicle rental guys would not be allowed to command all the public car parking bays. That lasted nearly a month then back to normal.

• Like 1

I have no doubt that all the vendors expect this will blow over and by high season it will be to business as usual. I well member after the tsunami that we were all told the the vehicle rental guys would not be allowed to command all the public car parking bays. That lasted nearly a month then back to normal.

Yes, I'm sure that's what most of them are thinking/hoping.

I am thinking/hoping though they are wrong, and with the army going as far as they are going at the moment, and from what I hear and see, I really believe the army will implement measures to make sure it won't return the the lawless place it seemed to be.

• Like 2

I am sure they will all be back as soon as the army loses interest, but if the army did indeed want to keep the beach void of jetskis, beach chairs, umbrellas etc., all they have to do is have a small group of maybe 5-6 soldiers patrol up and down the beach a few times each day arresting anyone setting up shop, and confiscating all the beach chairs, umbrellas and jetskis. This would have to be permanent, but would cost the army, and the country almost nothing. Sure, mobile beach vendors would navigate the patrols, but the jetski and beach chair/umbrella people cannot just run away as it takes time to remove their equipment, so they would no longer be around.

The generals in Bangkok can make sure their patrols are not just taking bribes to look the other way, by installing a couple of cctv cameras along the beach, to keep an eye on what is going on, and whether umbrellas and jetskis suddenly start to line up the beach again. This would add to the general security effort, or lack thereof, as well.

This is a huge mistake. I know 100s of people who come to Patong every year for 3 weeks to 3 months (or more). Maybe they can live without the chairs (although I doubt it) but they absolutely need umbrellas.

The lounge and umbrella vendors clean the beach (yes they do). Who will do that now?

You don't think a bunch of Thais will go into the beach umbrella rental business?

I'll take a guess that the present owners of beach umbrellas will finally figure this out.

Is heavily armed marines strolling down the beach at one of Thailand's most visited tourist destinations the image it wants to convey to prospective tourists?

And this too shall end biggrin.png

Go git em ... guns and all.

Nice to see those beach jerks runnin'. cheesy.gif

Seems a bit o' their own intimidation

coming back to bite em on the as*. clap2.gif

• Like 1

I can only hope wink.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And the beaches are super clean. The sand filtering tractor runs up and down the beach every morning before the bathers arrive, filtering and taking away everything incuding cig butts and bottle tops. Beautiful !

That used to happen on Patong years ago, they also used to have tanker lorries washing down the street early hour of the morning.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That used to happen on Patong years ago, they also used to have tanker lorries washing down the street early hour of the morning.

Yes, I remember many many years ago the Patong Municipality announced in a local paper with great fanfare the purchase of their sand filter tractor. Never saw it working, was always parked at garbage truck depot next to the sewage plant.

So whats going to happen when I arrive down to the beach with 5 sun lounges & 3 umbrellas to use for my 2 5yr old daughters, my wife my 93yr old mother & myself?

We like to spend all day on the beach but we like to lay out of the sand under an umbrella will we be deprived of this?

The beach chair/umbrella hire service had been a "unique" part of Phuket Beach life and getting drinks and fresh fruit brought to you was a treat it was also nice to get a massage on the odd occasion thats one of the many reasons we come to a place like this because it's different.

I understand some vendors took advantage of the situation and certainly something had to be done about it no argument about that but I do think the lounges/umbrellas need to be replaced in the high season in a more controlled way. The tourist obviously liked them judging by the scant availability of unoccupied sets during the high season .. we certainly did.

A lot of people here are also blaming the vendors being greedy etc but if you were given the opportunity to set up a business on the beach by the authorities would you not take up this opportunity? I bet some of you would.

No the people to blame for this is the greedy authorities who allowed it to happen in the first place not the locals they were just supplying a much wanted service under the guise of being permitted to do so.

This is absolutely correct. All you people who complain about the "greedy" "lawless" locals who work on the beach: Do you actually go to the beach? Do you know these people? I am on the beach 150 days or more a year. I am honored to know these these folks who treat me well.

So whats going to happen when I arrive down to the beach with 5 sun lounges & 3 umbrellas to use for my 2 5yr old daughters, my wife my 93yr old mother & myself?

We like to spend all day on the beach but we like to lay out of the sand under an umbrella will we be deprived of this?

The beach chair/umbrella hire service had been a "unique" part of Phuket Beach life and getting drinks and fresh fruit brought to you was a treat it was also nice to get a massage on the odd occasion thats one of the many reasons we come to a place like this because it's different.

I understand some vendors took advantage of the situation and certainly something had to be done about it no argument about that but I do think the lounges/umbrellas need to be replaced in the high season in a more controlled way. The tourist obviously liked them judging by the scant availability of unoccupied sets during the high season .. we certainly did.

A lot of people here are also blaming the vendors being greedy etc but if you were given the opportunity to set up a business on the beach by the authorities would you not take up this opportunity? I bet some of you would.

No the people to blame for this is the greedy authorities who allowed it to happen in the first place not the locals they were just supplying a much wanted service under the guise of being permitted to do so.

This is absolutely correct. All you people who complain about the "greedy" "lawless" locals who work on the beach: Do you actually go to the beach? Do you know these people? I am on the beach 150 days or more a year. I am honored to know these these folks who treat me well.
Dude your a freak. They are scammers from issan and can be very nasty.

Most of them are simply people trying to make a living, and are friendly and honest.

• Like 2

only taken 30 years...i guarentee they will be back.......................... (AFTER LOW SEASON HAS FINNISHEDcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif )

I envy those who can foresee the future. Please tell how my investments will do later this year.

Complaints of the past. Complaints of the present. Complaints into the future. Truely a complaint driven outlook on life perhaps.

This is a perfect example of the quality of discussion on this forum.

I suppose 15 years of going to the beach doesn't count for anything? I suppose knowing their families means nothing?

I am talking about the beach chair vendors. I am not talking about the jet ski people.

Is heavily armed marines strolling down the beach at one of Thailand's most visited tourist destinations the image it wants to convey to prospective tourists?

No, which is why it was probably the best time to do it, during low season.

Personally like what is going on. But I think one row of umbrellas and beach chairs is a good compromise. This concession

could pay for beach clean up and life guards. No life guards no beach chairs can be set up. The same for massage or food

stand concessions.

Can you honestly not understand what is going on here?

Possession of Beach umbrellas is not being made a crime.

Vendors who rent beach umbrellas and chairs on a public beach are coming under the attention of the authorities.

Your anxiety is overly dramatic and good news for you--unwarranted.

In fact, you will now have far more available beach front to set up your umbrella ;-)

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

I fully support all posters who have the understanding of this issue. I'm repeating myself here I know.

To the rest of you, look away from your computer screen and look at the situation here. It has taken the combined effort by this nations Armed Forces to clear these people from the beach and still they complain!

They are not capable of compromise, fairness or respect for the law, they had to go!

There isn't going to be just a few chairs and umbrellas, a few equals a few more and the chain reaction starts.

I look forward to sitting on the beach without being hassled by people who think they own the beach.

OK enough from me on this issue.

• Like 2

A stupid move by the government. The tourist should be able to relax and have food delivered, get a massage on the beach, have chairs and umbrellas available for use. But it should be regulated. Rent should be charge for use. number of sellers reduced and the price of chairs and umbrellas set so tourist are not overcharged.

You mean just like back home at Western beaches?

Why should it be allowed here? For the tourist experience?

It will be near impossible to regulate. The Generals have done the absolutely correct thing and if you don't like it, sorry. Toss them all off the beach.

Buddha Bless the Generals.

More at: <removed>

Edited by LivinginKata
URL to another forum removed