Be careful when getting Kasikorn bank debit card.

J have heard the Thais get Free Medical insurance thrown in with the fee for the card is this correct ?

Thais already have basically free medical coverage under the national 30 baht medical program. The insurance that comes with debit cards is usually just a small amount of insurance resulting from "accidents" versus needing medical insurance for just getting sick/having a disease/etc.

In the OP he said he's being charged 800 baht per year for the card...the only Kbank debit card I see on their website with a 800 baht annual fee is their K-SME debit card which seems to be small business oriented but it doesn't come with any insurance. Now the K-Max debit card at 550 baht/year does come with a small amount of accident insurance. Pays to be very attentive when opening a bank account/selecting a debit card.

Edited by Pib

J have heard the Thais get Free Medical insurance thrown in with the fee for the card is this correct ?

Thais already have basically free medical coverage under the national 30 baht medical program. The insurance that comes with debit cards is usually just a small amount of insurance resulting from "accidents" versus needing medical insurance for just getting sick/having a disease/etc.

In the OP he said he's being charged 800 baht per year for the card...the only Kbank debit card I see on their website with a 800 baht annual fee is their K-SME debit card which seems to be small business oriented but it doesn't come with any insurance. Now the K-Max debit card at 550 baht/year does come with a small amount of accident insurance. Pays to be very attentive when opening a bank account/selecting a debit card.

I had to get the SME one recently. They only had 2 choices and I am sorry but I am not going to have a Hello Kitty card in my wallet.

There is no requirement to take out an all singing all dancing debit card, chances are you would never be able to claim on any insurance anyway.

Nonsense.

I know Westerners who were very glad they had their debit card on them when involved in an accident. Peace of mind as it covers the ambulance, and medical checks (x-ray etc) medication and follow up at excellent private hospitals.

The last thing you want after an accident is to be thinking if you're going to be extorted by the ambulance and hospital.

• Like 1

Sounds like A bank scam.I'm getting so that I don't only not trust Thai banks,but all banks.

All banks have the same Ma & Pa

Only in America… do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters

A bank is a place that will lend you money, if you can prove that you don’t need it

If you think nobody cares if you’re alive, try missing a couple of payments.

There is no requirement to take out an all singing all dancing debit card, chances are you would never be able to claim on any insurance anyway.

Nonsense.

I know Westerners who were very glad they had their debit card on them when involved in an accident. Peace of mind as it covers the ambulance, and medical checks (x-ray etc) medication and follow up at excellent private hospitals.

The last thing you want after an accident is to be thinking if you're going to be extorted by the ambulance and hospital.

The K-Max Debit card at Bt550/year only covers medical expenses up to Bt5,000 (approx 150 USD). The max coverage is Bt200,000 in case of death/disability. I guess Bt200,000 is better than nothing if you are killed in an accident...but Bt5,000 in medical coverage ain't going to pay for much at a hospital...but it should cover the cost of bandages and pain pills. And it wouldn't surprise me if a vehicle accident that it only pays after the mandatory govt vehicle insurance that also provides little medical coverage (something like Bt50,000). Then I guess the national 30 baht medical program for Thais would kick in.

K-Max Debit Card Accident Insurance Coverage

post-55970-0-84670700-1405065658_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nonsense.

Not nonsense at all, in fact theoldgit only said "chances are", he wasn't stating a fact.

I am glad that the Westerners you know were able to get all their medical expenses fully covered as you've explained, a friend of mine wasn't so lucky. First of all he didn't think to have the list of approved hospitals on him, there are only 25 in Greater Bangkok and none where he had his accident, the maximum coverage was 5,000 Baht per accident, what does £90 get you in an "excellent private hospital" especially after the ambulance took their cut, then they hit him the final whammy, he wasn't covered anyway as he turned 65 a couple of days earlier.

So nonsense? I'm not so sure

• Like 1

But, as with sooooo many things in Thailand, what happens here, doesnt mean it will happen there. It varies place to place, town to town and even branch to branch, and some cases person to person.

The only consistent aspect is you wiil be charged.

I've already explained what the 5000b coverage covered for my 2 friends.

Hospital was Rama 9.

http://www.praram9.com/eng/?lng=eng

Ambulance from the Ratchada underpass, x-rays, check-up, medication etc. and follow up.

They were delighted with the service, and were very thankful that they had it. smile.png

Of course haters are going to hate though. biggrin.png

I can see Bt5,000 covering a short ambulance ride, a couple of x-rays, doctor checkup, some medication (probably some low cost para and antibiotics), and a follow-up. But for something serious like broken bones, a couple of days in the hospital in a semi or private room, (a ward is much cheaper) etc., you will easily and quickly exceed Bt5,000 in a descent hospital. I base this on my out of pocket expenses for the wife and I at Thonburi II Hospital in Bangkok over the years, mother-in-laws hospitalization a couple of time in a provincial hospital, an in-law's recent motorcycle accident also requiring one day in a private hospital (bill around Bt9,000...he could have used the 30 baht program to cover the expenses but didn't want to a govt hospital). And remember the medical coverage is only in case of an "accident;" not just getting sick.

Guys, Thanks for the input. Having read around on the board a bit more I will do a bit more research, chose the bank and branch of my choice and if they say that they only have the high end expensive card available it will be "thank you very big" and off to another branch.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeez 15 baht a week fee for the card the scamming b@#tards !

I hope you cancelled it immediately and are taking legal action to recover this money whistling.gif

It's the principle, isn't it? If they can swindle you over a debit card fee, they can swindle you over account charges, etc.

In my experience, Kasikorn bank has long years of the most outstanding, friendliest service in Thailand.

They have always done their best to accommodate me as a foreign customer.

In this case, I think this is a good example of the foreigner seeing a scam when the reality is likely only a

minor language problem. Had the OP asked in Thai, "Is there an annual fee?" I guarantee the employee

would not lie to him.

When the foreigner's ability in Thai is very limited and the bank staff's English is less than perfect, and

a misunderstanding arises, the foreigner will often see a scam or accuse them of lying. Who has been

wronged in this case? I would say the Kasikorn bank staff has been wronged -- wrongly accused.

Go to Japan where folks are squeaky clean and honest in their dealings, deal with a bank when you have

no Japanese language ability, you will have much bigger problems.

Good advice from "The Old Git". I am tired of smiling, bowing, and being led around like a sheep when I know I'm being fed a load of bull from a Thai business. The staff will lie to your face, and try to sell you everything from insurance policies to CDs of the King's music.

Arm yourself with the facts, and don't let them push you around.

Sounds like a tutorial on how to have a miserable stay in Thailand in 3 easy steps.

1. See everything as negative as possible.

2. Arm yourself with the ultimate negative attitude.

3. "Just let these uncivilized people try anything with me."

Why is it that some expats -- like me and lots of others I know -- never ever have these kinds of problems?

I opened a Kasikorn account last Wednesday. While in the process, a very polite and attractive young lady

came to me and offered a savings plan that includes free insurance. I asked if they have some literature in

English? They gave me some. I said let me study this and I'll get back to you. They said sure.

Except for the language it could have been a U.S. bank. All friendly, all civil and professional. No hassle, no

pressure, no ill feelings. The same pleasant experience I had when buying car insurance, renting a house,

renewing my drivers license. I've never had a hassle here. And I've heard many other say the same.

I wonder why...

Pralaad, on 10 Jul 2014 - 21:29, said:Pralaad, on 10 Jul 2014 - 21:29, said:
Pib, on 10 Jul 2014 - 21:27, said:Pib, on 10 Jul 2014 - 21:27, said:

Whatever....it ain't grey.

It ain't Lavender or Pink:blink:

post-3770-0-19090200-1407665318.jpg

Looks rather pinkish to me, maybe blushing a bit. whistling.gif

Win cool.png

Edited by Kan Win

Good advice from "The Old Git". I am tired of smiling, bowing, and being led around like a sheep when I know I'm being fed a load of bull from a Thai business. The staff will lie to your face, and try to sell you everything from insurance policies to CDs of the King's music.

Sounds like a tutorial on how to have a miserable stay in Thailand in 3 easy steps.

Why is it that some expats -- like me and lots of others I know -- never ever have these kinds of problems?

I opened a Kasikorn account last Wednesday. While in the process, a very polite and attractive young lady

came to me and offered a savings plan that includes free insurance. I asked if they have some literature in

English? They gave me some. I said let me study this and I'll get back to you. They said sure.

Except for the language it could have been a U.S. bank. All friendly, all civil and professional. No hassle, no

pressure, no ill feelings. The same pleasant experience I had when buying car insurance, renting a house,

renewing my drivers license. I've never had a hassle here. And I've heard many other say the same.

I wonder why...

I wonder why, with over 40 posts to this thread, yours is the only one that talks about how wonderful you've been treated. You are surely in the minority. Hope it stays that way for you.

Just for the record, I have never had a problem with Kasikorn Bank, and I never start any dealings with a negative attitude. But if the other party starts seeing me as a target, I won't put up with it. If you have never experienced that, you are very fortunate.

BTW, I would read the fine print on that savings account. Call me suspicious, but "free insurance" sounds highly unlikely.

I wonder why...

I wonder why, with over 40 posts to this thread, yours is the only one that talks about how wonderful you've been treated. You are surely in the minority. Hope it stays that way for you.

Just for the record, I have never had a problem with Kasikorn Bank, and I never start any dealings with a negative attitude. But if the other party starts seeing me as a target, I won't put up with it. If you have never experienced that, you are very fortunate.

BTW, I would read the fine print on that savings account. Call me suspicious, but "free insurance" sounds highly unlikely.

Curt, there is no fine print to read bcoz I didn't sign up for that savings plan.

The savings plan is one of those where you deposit a fixed amount every month for a period

of six years, then you let the money sit there for nine more years. At the end of 15 years total

you receive 210% of the total amount you deposited plus you have the free insurance.

I did not go with that deal -- only a regular savings account with a passbook and no ATM card.

• 1 month later...

My wife lost the Angry Birds card, so yesterday we went to Kasikorn for a replacement.

(There is a second account for which she has the Kitty-style pink dots card, replacing the one that ran out after she replied no to renew at the ATM. Had me laughing - small branch, only farang, never mind.)

Anyway, they have a promotion on the SME card, 550 for a year, then 800 next year. Otherwise pink Kitty, 550 Baht. When I opened the account 5 years ago I paid I think 400 for a card and no mention was made of the 200 option. Read about it later. This is still an option? Hmmm. So I opted for the Platinum as pink doesn't suit me either (Yes, that avatar is pink).

Well, point is this, with the Platinum card there is a transaction notification by SMS option, free or included in the price depending on your optic.

So when madame goes for cash, ping!

Of course it feels dreadful to spy, real NSA stuff.whistling.gif

Can't really see what is wrong with the charges, mostly. Most UK banks are trying to charge 750B a month! I transfer money regularly to K Bank. Very quick good Forex rate. I have Blue KBank Debit Card with my name on it, which means I can use it pretty much anywhere. I suppose that means I am not a Privileged Member? I do check before I leave LOS that the 'International Option' continues to be valid.

Edited by laolover88

• 4 years later...
On 9/17/2014 at 1:45 PM, laolover88 said:

Can't really see what is wrong with the charges, mostly. Most UK banks are trying to charge 750B a month! I transfer money regularly to K Bank. Very quick good Forex rate. I have Blue KBank Debit Card with my name on it, which means I can use it pretty much anywhere. I suppose that means I am not a Privileged Member? I do check before I leave LOS that the 'International Option' continues to be valid.

Most times ime if you still have the old card to present the new one is free and no need a police report 

The replacement ones I've got when i lost my card were not always free tho and sometimes couldn't be issued without police reports