Thai commander welcomes new submarine centre, despite lack of subs

webfact

Thai Commander Welcomes New Submarine Centre, Despite Lack of Subs

1404885156_1-org.jpg
Thailand is yet to acquire any actual submarines like this one pictured in Russia

BANGKOK: -- A Thai navy commander pushed yesterday for the country to acquire its first submarines, following the opening of a new submarine centre in Chonburi province, south-east of Bangkok.

"I think [that having submarines] are necessary because it makes our navy more dynamic and it will be useful for self-defence in the Gulf [of Thailand]," said Panu Punyavirocha, commander of Thailand's submarine unit.

The centre, equipped with a German-made submarine simulator, was opened on Monday to train combat-ready personnel in case the country does acquire submarines.

The navy has been petitioning the government to purchase the vessels.

The navy also plans to send officers for training in Germany to gain knowledge about modern submarine warfare.

Critics of the navy's submarine plans point to the navy's purchase of the aircraft carrier Chakri Nareubet, which the navy had also described as necessary for defence.

Due to budget cutbacks the carrier currently sits at anchor year round serving as a museum ship.

Source: Khaosod English

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-commander-welcomes-new-submarine-centre-despite-lack-of-subs-47278.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-09

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps this navy commander should review the speech in 2007 where His Majesty

said Thailand had no need for submarines due to the fact the Gulf of Thailand was too shallow

for effective submarine operations........ If they are worried about submarines of other countries,

then perhaps they should contact America and buy some of their sub hunting aircraft. But

not carrier launched. :-)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/thailand/ssk.htm

"In HM the King's 80th birthday speech in 2007, King Bhumibol used his birthday eve speech to admonish the navy for recently expressing the wish to buy a submarine. His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej on Tuesday called for national unity in a classic birthday-eve speech that covered a wide range of topics including global-warming, the wisdom of buying submarines and his reason for wearing a pink jacket recently. The King noted that submarines were unsuitable for Thailand, as the Gulf of Thailand is a notoriously shallow body of water."

This speech was actually full of humor......

If I would be the General I would be very ashamed hearing it.....

• Like 2

maybe he will get a sub for Christmas

what on earth is Thailand going to do with a sub - which exact conflict are they going to be involved in and how is a sub going to help

perhaps directing that sort of budget to education would be a better idea

I wonder who funded the sub base ??????? Perhaps the US of A

• Like 2

in the gulfblink.png , it wouldnt be able to submerge as its not deep enough, they would be stuck in the mudclap2.gif . These people have some very strange ideas, they need to realize you need deep water for subs to be able to operate as they are designed, I can imagine seeing a thai sub cruising along the surface of the gulf then suddenly coming to a grinding halt as it hits the bottom or the arse end sticking out of the water when it attempts to divecheesy.gif

• Like 2

in the gulfblink.png , it wouldnt be able to submerge as its not deep enough, they would be stuck in the mudclap2.gif . These people have some very strange ideas, they need to realize you need deep water for subs to be able to operate as they are designed, I can imagine seeing a thai sub cruising along the surface of the gulf then suddenly coming to a grinding halt as it hits the bottom or the arse end sticking out of the water when it attempts to divecheesy.gif

That is almost identically to Kings speech about it smile.png

Not deep enough

stuck in the mud.

when diving with the water deep a little bit of it may still stick out of the water cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Well judging by Germany's last performance in a war using subs.. would one really go there for top advice? Cheap, cheap comes to mind. giggle.gif

I love paradoxes... a sub centre without a sub.... next will be zoos without animals... damned Thailand beat me to it already. whistling.gif

• Like 1

The average depth of the Gulf of Thailand is 45 m and it's maximum depth is 80m. HM was/is 100% correct. I wonder how much the sub simulator was? And what the procurement approval process was? Definitly an enterprising German salesman thats for sure.

• Like 2

Unbelievable.

Why the heck does anyone need a sub in the gulf of Thailand. Or are those pesky illegal Cambodians sneaking in from the sea these days.

I know a guy who has a used U boat for sale, anyone interested, only $100 million.

• Like 1