Cattle beast.

Seastallion

I like beef. With the number of Muslims in Hat Yai, I'm very suprised that there is not much beef around. Tops sells what looks like chuck steak for 1000 baht/kg. Big C sells nondescript cuts for a bit cheaper.

Aside from the price, the lack of decent, recognisable cuts is disappointing.

I was wondering if there would be interest in forming a syndicate to purchase a whole beast and divide it.

I'm not a butcher, but I am a qualified meat inspector, and I have slaughtered quite a few animals back in my farming days so I sort of know my way around a carcass.

Because there are good cuts and not so good, and because there would be a lot of meat, offal, and bones that we might not want, perhaps the way to go about it would be to "sell" cuts to syndicate members for redemption of their shares; eg fillet would be worth more than sirloin and rump would be worth more than chuck. By recruiting a local butcher, we could harvest the cuts we want and sell the rest.

Thoughts? Ideas how to do it?

Preferably, having a cold room to hang it for a week would be best....anyone know of a secure one?

I'm salivating at the thought!

I suspect it might be the quality of the cattle here. I stopped eating beef soon after moving to Thailand because there are so many better options.

I do miss lamb though, and was never able to find it at the wet markets in Phuket.

Is there any available in Songkla markets? (sorry for being off-topic)

• Like 1

Many beef distributors in BKK that ship. I buy Thai / French from our local French butcher in Samui, he supplies a lot of hotels too. If you are interested PM me I will give you his contact details.

• Like 1

I suspect it might be the quality of the cattle here. I stopped eating beef soon after moving to Thailand because there are so many better options.

I do miss lamb though, and was never able to find it at the wet markets in Phuket.

Is there any available in Songkla markets? (sorry for being off-topic)

I am not sure the quality of the cattle is the issue, although I realise they are not prime beef stock.

I think it is more a case of poor butchering; No de-stressing the beast, insufficient hanging time, little or no regard for specific cuts, and little or no regard for meat "grain".

A wild ox can taste good with long time hanging and proper butchering.

• 2 weeks later...

The preferred meats for Muslims are mutton, not lamb, goat, sometimes camel and chicken from small birds. I have not eaten with many Muslims that have ever gone for a beef dish or beefsteak

Sent from my SM-T210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not many camels in Hat Yai!

Rendang daging sapi (beef rendang) is a popular dish in Indonesia (especially Sumatra) and Malaysia though not so easy to find in Hat Yai, chicken rendang I have seen.

I don't miss the beef....Makro and Lotus sell frozen NZ lamb.legs, shanks, cutlets...............it is hardly prime quality but if you are patient and cook it right it passes muster. I have been making Mint Sauce this week, a Lamb Daube and Mango Chutney to accompany the Lamb Madras,

Makro here has Goat, Partridges, Venison and Wild Boar....so not much hardship!

I bought some beef at the fresh market on Rattakarn Rd. Absolutely fresh. Not hung at all, and by the look of it, simply de-boned with no regard to cuts.

Result was a very tough and flavourless beef.

The more I think about it, the more I am considering starting a wholesale butcher shop. There is a need for it. Or at least do the beast thing myself for home and friends. A cattle beast a few times a year, and goats and pigs whenever.

Right, off to investigate coolstores.

You should make a trip up to Phatthalung on a Sunday. There's a wet market in the late afternoon on the road to Trang where I get my beef. The beef isn't bad compared to other beef in town.

As we usually use it for curries and steaks. It's very okay for curries and hit and miss on the steak side but at 200 or so baht a kilo there's no complaints.

If you want a whole beast, this province has plenty of cattle, and less likely to charge a farang price.

I'm going back to England next month so count me out of the meat co-op for now.

• Like 1