Why do young people with better opportunities relocate to Thailand?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved here for the happy way of life. My life is about ENJOYING IT, not the money.

Honestly, if you can sustain it, this is by far the best way to go through life. I will say don't lose sight of making provision for old age though.

• Like 1

Post removed

9) Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

For many people, life isn't about money. We have been on similar travels. Thailand is about the easiest place I've ever been to create a rich inner life....to help people of all races, colors and creeds.....that have for the most part, genuine appreciation......for the gift and privilege of life and the opportunity to live it. Especially when it isn't all lolipops and roses. That's when you seperate the men from the boys.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't work in Thailand. The younger expats I know that do are mostly teachers. They earn a similar salary to that which they did back home, enjoy a much higher standard of living, happier working conditions, and get to live in an awesome country. Nobody seems to see this as a bad option.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have meet hundreds of teachers in my years here. And I have never meet one that have the same salary here as he/she would have in my home country

I know several. These are actual school teachers, though, not English language teachers.

Many are BA graduates that aren't in demand for any job in the west so teaching here is a step on the ladder or a more pleasing job permantly . Maybe they just like Thailand.

Some as a 33 year old friend says because he isn't hansum man back in the UK. Can't get laid at home only has to walk out the door here ok that's the reason he stays, the reason he came was different.

Many are here for a partner that they met back in their own country or the net etc etc.

Many as they just like the place as said before.

Edited by arthurwait

Because life isn't all about money.

So.so right. Retired here myself when I had many working years left in me.... realized one day I could live comfortably here with the money I had already and seeing as there are no shops in the next life (only guessing) decided my remaining years would best be spent with a life consisting of peace of mind and contentment rather than in a rat race.. Best decision I ever made. I'm in Italy for three weeks holiday at the moment and can't wait to get back home where the weather is lovely (wet and windy now in Sardinia) the cost of living is cheap (food expensive in Sardinia with a whopping service charge on eating out, calculates at about 25% and a tea shirt costs around 25 Euro). The hotel where I'm staying only has Wi-Fi on the ground floor and they charge for the password. The restaurant head waiter is like a "little Hitler" running a concentration camp.... .Lovely Thailand................all is forgiven.

• Like 1

I have ideal reply for this.

As a young guy (23) I moved to Thailand.

For young educated people the opportunities are endless.

Many older people especially whose who don't live in the uk/eu have not realised the jobs market for graduates has completely failed to epic proportions.

I was offered a job paying three times as much as back in the UK.

For young people unemployment is like 25% or something and graduates who do have jobs are in menial work.

I can't begin to explain how dire the situation is most of my friends after graduation (guys with masters degrees) earn less the a £1000 a month doing whatever they can. It's a complete waste of potential.

They will new be able to afford a house or a nice car.

If your educated in Thailand then it's like the job market in the Uk was 50 years ago (or so I have heard) because of the growth In Asia this will play out massively over the next few decades.

Sadly expect to see an influx of graduates coming to Asia.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Many older people especially whose who don't live in the uk/eu have not realised the jobs market for graduates has completely failed to epic proportions.

For young people unemployment is like 25% or something and graduates who do have jobs are in menial work.

I can't begin to explain how dire the situation is most of my friends after graduation (guys with masters degrees) earn less the a £1000 a month doing whatever they can. It's a complete waste of potential.

If your educated in Thailand then it's like the job market in the Uk was 50 years ago (or so I have heard) because of the growth In Asia this will play out massively over the next few decades.

45% of graduates in the UK won't earn enough money per annum to repay their student loans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26688018

They fell for the western lie - "Get a degree, you'll be set for life."

Someone forgot to tell them that the law of supply and demand applies.

There's people getting degrees today that would be better off driving taxis.

I don't blame youngsters for going out and having a go - I totally agree with your post.

Setting that to the side, I know plenty of "digital nomads" in Thailand that are making great money.

You are very right. This place is good for those who already did all the jobs in west and have good pension to live here and do some job on the side if they like. The young people must make sure if they job they have now will be permanent and not only for couple of years. And who can guaranty that?

Can not speak for others, but from personal experience and i moved when i was in my 20's was because it appeared to me as an easy place to make money.

By the time i learned it was not, i was already in my 30's and Thailand became home.

Sadly?

What's sad about it beyond the fact they're forced to do so because of a shortage of roles in their homelands?

I'm hoping it'll go a long way to diluting the pool of sex pensioners exploiting the local women

• Like 1

Keep your high paid jobs in Thailand and your looking down your nose at others who aren't as fortunate as you.

I will keep working for free for The Red Cross.

At least when I die I can say I actually changed peoples lives.

Stick your real estate properties up your rectum, as that's the closest you will get to taking them with you when you die.

• Like 1

im very lucky as are a few others on here in the same game as me,

we earn the same if not more while living here,

i just cant get my head around why the young would move here to become a teacher, unless they are having a gap year as they call it i think,

i agree with some others, i would work my ass off in the west if i was them get a good amount of money in the bank they move here,

Other than people being assigned here or schooling, I believe the young have this notion as how others used to go to Europe and backpack, however, they've took it one step further to find work so the experience does not end. I really don't believe they stay here too long as I feel after a couple of visa's they move on. The people that do stay, g_d help them if they get caught up in the scene thinking it'll never end, because it always does... The ones that make it, good for them, as they're the ones that could've made it anywhere.

In my early 30's, the attraction for me was that it was exotic and western enough that I can have the best of both worlds. The cost of living and the woman were a definate plus, no beating around the bush there.

I do agree with one other poster, some of todays' under 30's crowd has this sense of entitlement, which is dangerous.

• Like 1

Sadly?

What's sad about it beyond the fact they're forced to do so because of a shortage of roles in their homelands?

I'm hoping it'll go a long way to diluting the pool of sex pensioners exploiting the local women

You've definitely got that statement reversed. It's the girls exploiting the sex pensioners.

How do you plan to free them from their sex slavery? Get them growing rice in the baking sun for a pittance while they are raped or molested by their family or family's friends, or get them a nice job in a chicken gutting factory?

Sadly?

Well, that influx coming to Asia will be in tough, since Asean is supposedly opening the flood gates in 2015 so that the skilled and educated within the region will be able to cross boarders for employment; I'm unsure of the particulars of this but what I gathered this is happening. No link necessary, as this is pretty much old news.

Life is Not about money! Its about enjoying life and doing what makes YOU happy ! If you are somebody that sits in an office all day with some " hideous office job " working 9 to 5 ( with no window and no view to the outside world ) Talking " Professional Rubbish " all day then that's up to you if you think that is called " Living " I would rather " ride my bicycle " outside in the sun all day here in Thailand and live a nice cheap basic lifestyle on 5000 baht a month! ( to me that is living a " quality life " doing what i enjoy doing.... )

farang jaidee ( joop joop ) wub.png

• Like 1

Keep your high paid jobs in Thailand and your looking down your nose at others who aren't as fortunate as you.

Stick your real estate properties up your rectum, as that's the closest you will get to taking them with you when you die.

Is the Red Cross funded by those big bad rich people?

Your fault if you studied the wrong degree.

Yep, I knew some guys with History/Sociology/etc. degrees, couldn't find a job, apart from teaching in the west.

Who would've guessed?

Is the Red Cross funded by those big bad rich people?

If you mean CIA, most foreign countries seem to think so.

I think its actually the exact opposite. Much harder to find decent jobs in Thailand because of the 51% has to be thai rule, complicated paperwork and the language. And if you happen to score a job then you'd have to accept a low salary. Even an engineer in Thailand only earns 25k per month.

The prospects are worse anywhere but they are a lot better in the west then in asia.

Personally, I don't work in Thailand. The younger expats I know that do are mostly teachers. They earn a similar salary to that which they did back home, enjoy a much higher standard of living, happier working conditions, and get to live in an awesome country. Nobody seems to see this as a bad option.

I have meet hundreds of teachers in my years here. And I have never meet one that have the same salary here as he/she would have in my home country

Depends what type of teacher you meet. My old house mate from University is on an excellent salary which is as good, if not better than what he'd get in the UK. He does however teach at one of the top international schools. A few other mates at some of the big international schools, and they get very decent salaries.

Not everyone is a TEFL teacher

Those who think the results of one outlier tell you anything at all about your own chances at success, read this:

For those of you who think a foreigner can't make it in Thailand ......Read this

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-08/american-billionaire-made-in-thailand-keeping-kingdom-bet.html

Here's an excerpt from the article

"Perhaps no foreign-born investor has made a bigger personal bet on Thailand than Heinecke. As a U.S. diplomat’s son studying at the International School Bangkok in 1967, he resisted parental pressure to return home to enroll at Washington’s Georgetown University.

Instead, at age 17, he borrowed $1,200 and set up an office-cleaning company. By the time he became a Thai citizen, Heinecke had forged business ties with the royal family’s asset managers by leasing crown land on which he built hotels."

It is a great way to get some experience in your field as well as experience another culture and language. One can always move back home or onto another country from there. The experience will be a nice addition to your resume and open up your opportunities for further education or employment opportunities. When you are in your 20s, it is a great time to experience the world around you. I agree with the comment I read about suddenly be 68 and realizing that you could have done things differently. I know of many people who went directly from college to work and wished they would have tried to experience life a little more before settling in with family, career, etc. Living abroad can be a life enriching experience which can lead to more career opportunities as well as not having to look back and say; I could have...would have...should have...