Thai FDA to propose review of ban on pepper sprays

webfact

FDA to propose review of ban on pepper sprays

BANGKOK: -- The Food and Drug Administration will ask the Hazardous Control Bureau to consider allowing the use of pepper spray by women to defend themselves against rapists, deputy FDA secretary-general Prapon Angtrakul said.

The spray is now prohibited by FDA's regulations. Violators of the ban on the sale of pepper spray are subject to ten-year imprisonment and a Bt1-million fine.

Prapon said pepper spray should be controlled by another government agency, not the FDA so the FDA would raise the issue with the Hazardous Control Bureau.

Following the rape and murder of a 13-year-old girl on board a train, many netizens cried foul that the FDA regulations made it hard for them to buy pepper spray for self-defence.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/FDA-to-propose-review-of-ban-on-pepper-sprays-30238277.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-11

My daughter used to carry a cannister - bought illegally at the old Seri Centre. Main disadvantages to using them are wind and lack of power in the propellant. They are also not much good in a surprise attack as they are usually kept in a purse or a pocket (which also brings the problem of accidental discharge, expelling all the gas). We dropped the idea and arranged for self-defence classes. Fortunately, she never encountered any problems while growing up.

• Like 1

My daughter used to carry a cannister - bought illegally at the old Seri Centre. Main disadvantages to using them are wind and lack of power in the propellant. They are also not much good in a surprise attack as they are usually kept in a purse or a pocket (which also brings the problem of accidental discharge, expelling all the gas). We dropped the idea and arranged for self-defence classes. Fortunately, she never encountered any problems while growing up.

An emphasis on self defense classes and also learning to recognize a threatening situation would certainly be a better approach. As others have said; pepper spray is better in theory than in practice. I wonder if electronic "Zappers" would be any more effective? In reality; probably not.

Attacks on young people are a worldwide scourge even in the most controlled societies. There seems to be no realistic way to prevent them. The US has spent hundreds of millions of $$ trying to identify, classify and register "sex offenders" but assault rates have remained the same...more a political than pragmatic exercise...just like here.

This is an excellent review for being so brief.

I hope the Thai FDA proposal will not be accepted.

I am against the idea, pepper sprays and zappers could be used by offenders on potential victims as well.

I propose a purse alarm anti theft device. It is very loud and does the job. I have one and used it.

416cyvAl5WL.jpg

• Like 1

I acquired my pepper spray at MBK, and the one time I used it, against a ladyboy with a knife, was a disaster. It gave me a false sense of confidence and I ended up getting cut badly. If i hadn't had the pepper spray I would have run away, which in hindsight is what I should have done - and what I'll do next time should such a situation arise again.

• Like 1

so why is it for sale freely in many shopping malls, together with an arsenal of knives & others ?

One of my friends bought some canisters recently and has placed them in his sisters' cars. Out of site and easy to grab. He reckons Thai males can have no qualms about assaulting women in road rage issues. So yes, readily available.

All the knife and weapon type stalls disappeared from our local fresh markets months ago. Still get a guy comes round with a small cart full of a very wide selection of knives and swords though. There are still stalls selling these items around Soi 4 to Asoke on Sukhumvit. Flick knives, swords, knuckle dusters, batons, BB guns, crossbows, zappers etc can all be bought.

It's illegal to have these in public and you can get arrested. But of course, no one minds of you buy them, just like the stalls flogging sex toys and videos.

I bought a very good quality flick knife several years ago. At a temple fete of all places!

Thailand is fast becoming like the west please the nanny states really dont make life any better for the innocent.

Yes. Those who commit offences are usually in a small minority. The majority, if allowed to carry weapons for self defense would only think of using them for self defense not attack; and indeed, most would hope never to have to use them.

So the states answer is to remove those tools from you. But the criminals, the ones who are likely to use them for the wrong motives don't give them up.

Removing the right and ability for good people to defend themselves doesn't seem to correlate to preventing bad people from attacking you - but many Western governments force this situation. And then reduce the effectiveness of the police due to budget cuts.

Most Western states reduce the options for their citizens to protect themselves and also fail to provide adequate prevention, detection and punishment of the criminals.

The Americans knew what they were doing when they included the Second Amendment. Despite all the attempts to undermine what they knew to be a fundamental realism.

• Like 1

Just makes it easer to get into the hands of the wrong people, and if carried by a woman and she did get it out in time it is more probable she would threaten to use it and before she knows what the attacker will have pulled it out of her hands and used it on her.

Just another Knee Jerk Reaction, what next? Castrate all males?

• Like 1

I am against the idea, pepper sprays and zappers could be used by offenders on potential victims as well.

I propose a purse alarm anti theft device. It is very loud and does the job. I have one and used it.

416cyvAl5WL.jpg

Good idea. Could you please tell me where to buy these purse alarms? I have never seen one. Thank you!

• Like 2

Thailand is fast becoming like the west please the nanny states really dont make life any better for the innocent.

Yes. Those who commit offences are usually in a small minority. The majority, if allowed to carry weapons for self defense would only think of using them for self defense not attack; and indeed, most would hope never to have to use them.

So the states answer is to remove those tools from you. But the criminals, the ones who are likely to use them for the wrong motives don't give them up.

Removing the right and ability for good people to defend themselves doesn't seem to correlate to preventing bad people from attacking you - but many Western governments force this situation. And then reduce the effectiveness of the police due to budget cuts.

Most Western states reduce the options for their citizens to protect themselves and also fail to provide adequate prevention, detection and punishment of the criminals.

The Americans knew what they were doing when they included the Second Amendment. Despite all the attempts to undermine what they knew to be a fundamental realism.

"The Americans knew what they were doing when they included the Second Amendment. Despite all the attempts to undermine what they knew to be a fundamental realism."

Of course they did! that's why there's no crime in America.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

416cyvAl5WL.jpg

Good idea. Could you please tell me where to buy these purse alarms? I have never seen one. Thank you!

Hi, you can find them on ebay; this is the one I have and is awesomely loud:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Minder-KeyRing-Personal-Attack-Alarm-/201006736611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2eccef64e3

$_1.JPG

Here you'll get free shipping:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PoliceApproved-Discreet-Mini-Personal-Attack-Panic-Safety-Security-Alarm-140db-/291169936205?pt=UK_Safety_Alarms&hash=item43cb14a34d

Another option could be the minder glass guard window security alarm,

you'll be triggering the alarm yourself instead of attaching it to a window.

It is very loud and easy to find at any Homework or home improvement stores.

Should cost less that 500THB depending on the brand.

$T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM8dHBP9G9j)ll!~~60_35.J

The cute ones are to be found on ebay, free shipping from Hong Kong

it only costs a couple of bucks:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Personal-120dB-Security-Siren-Alarm-Light-Keychain-/310865428528?pt=UK_Safety_Alarms&hash=item4861060030

18025_1.jpg

Hope this helps ;)