Life is cheap in Thailand (someone said).

Wopanese

Life can not be too cherished when parents give motorbikes to 10 year olds to ride

Mine are banned from having motorbikes, know why and surprisingly agree.

Over the past ten years I've noticed a push away from "life is cheap, never mind" to one of personal safety and responsibility.

Shamefully, where my Thai neighbours will wear helmets even for short journeys round the corner it is me who doesn't bother.

All the helmet checks that were in my village seem to have disappeared, there have been none that I have noticed since the army took over.

How much is it these days for a hitman?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From the news about the M79 attacks against demonstrators. He did say he didn't intend to hurt people.

Narongsak said he received the M79 grenade launcher at the Imperial Department Store's Lat Phrao branch from a person and was paid Bt3,000 to Bt4,000 for each attack.

I think it has to do with their Buddha religion, bit I also think it has to do with people in Asia who aren't uptight. I live in NJ which is a nanny state. Our parents and lawmakers mean well, but their watchful eye causes us to fear life. My mom has said "you can't do that. Its too dangerous." Well everything is dangerous. Get over it!

Life can not be too cherished when parents give motorbikes to 10 year olds to ride

How true.

Do school buses have seat belts?

I don't know.

If the West cared about the life of children they would but they don't.

Another poor attempt by some Thai haters to make themselves feel better. Personally, I don't wear a helmet as I like freedom. Thailand means freedom and that is one reason I moved here.

I remember the demonstrations against helmet laws in the early 90s.

How long have laws been around for helmets in your countries? Remember Thailand is behind Western countries in most areas.

I see in Iowa and Illinois, there is NO law for wearing a helmet, do residents of these states believe that life is cheap?

I'm sick of yanks putting down the Thais for anything and everything. Dual pricing - look at Disneyworld in Florida.

Racism, read about Rosa Parks, who only died a few years ago.

When Thai people want to have freedom, let them.

• Like 1

Another thread filled with self-righteous indignation. Let me ask the OP: I see farangs riding around without helmets all the time. ALL THE TIME. Sometimes with children. Does this mean that all farangs consider "life cheap?"

Point taken, but some of those Farang appear to have the IQ of a powdered-sugar donut. I have to wonder if some of them think that's the only way to raise a child in Thailand - when in Rome or whatever - and that doing it any other way will only see the kid targeted at school. Think back to your own childhood - how many kids did you see wearing a helmet while riding pushbikes or skateboards ? Cops in Brisbane will give you an on-the-spot fine for not wearing one while riding a bicycle now, but its a totally different era with grown men in lycra onesies acting out their Tour De France fantasies every Sunday morning on the way to a coffee shop.

Another plus for Pattaya - I dont have to look at <deleted> like that anymore.

Halfords-0.jpg?width=540&height=360&auto

• Like 1

How much is it these days for a hitman?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would like to know as well.

In 3rd world countries a hitman is free, if its under a more powerful hand, like its boss, political lider, mentor, protector, sponsor...or any person that will show "gratitude" for its action. Assesination and kidnappings in those countries are a "normal" thing... for any reason....and for any kind of "retribution".....

Very soon will be a day that Thai millionaires will stop showing off its wealth in public..and driving Ferraris...In Mexico, Mr. Carlos Slim, the richest person in the world, is driving a Ford....with armored body and driver.....but a Ford.

Edited by umbanda

I went to a civilized country last year. I was stopped by a young cop who demanded I wear a helmet and I was riding a bloody bicycle on a cycle track along the Melbourne beach. Is my life cheap?

Yes theres a lways a point when it gets effin ridiculous, I mean really all joggers should wear helmets too. Im sure they can run at a fair lick if they have to.

• Like 1

I went to a civilized country last year. I was stopped by a young cop who demanded I wear a helmet and I was riding a bloody bicycle on a cycle track along the Melbourne beach. Is my life cheap?

Yes theres a lways a point when it gets effin ridiculous, I mean really all joggers should wear helmets too. Im sure they can run at a fair lick if they have to.

What about skiers or tobogganists? IS there a helmet law there?

What about skiers or tobogganists? IS there a helmet law there?

In Thailand ha ha ha ha ha ha

That's harsh - you left a civilized country for Melbourne ? Life's pretty cheap in Sunnyvale ....

• Like 1

That's harsh - you left a civilized country for Melbourne ? Life's pretty cheap in Sunnyvale ....

Could have been worse - i.e Canada - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa4AMZ5ajKg

They don't wear helmets for the same reason they don't wear gloves when doing dangerous things with their hands, they are barefoot even walking in a construction yard full of nails or in a rice field where snakes can nest and they play with electric wires while having their feet soaked.

They just don't care, at all. Life is too short to be worrying all the time about the dangers of it. Sabai Sabai. When I came here first I was shocked. Yesterday I came from the temple at 8pm in a bicycle without lights or reflectants and my son sitting in the back part. Enjoyed the ride much more than if i had to have all the security measures I would in Europe.

Enjoy now and cry after something happens.

• Like 2

They don't wear helmets for the same reason they don't wear gloves when doing dangerous things with their hands, they are barefoot even walking in a construction yard full of nails or in a rice field where snakes can nest and they play with electric wires while having their feet soaked.

They just don't care, at all. Life is too short to be worrying all the time about the dangers of it. Sabai Sabai. When I came here first I was shocked. Yesterday I came from the temple at 8pm in a bicycle without lights or reflectants and my son sitting in the back part. Enjoyed the ride much more than if i had to have all the security measures I would in Europe.

I just have to ask if that attitude is uniform across all of Thai society, particularly as they age. Difficult to imagine someone with money acting in the fashion you describe regardless of their belief system. I dont pretend to have any insight into the way hi-so and would-be hi-so Thais live their lives, but I haven't seen too many wandering through construction yards barefoot. The Santika fire is the last time I can recall an incident involving a large number of victims from the big end of town but I dont read the newspapers in Thailand.

I just have to ask if that attitude is uniform across all of Thai society, particularly as they age. Difficult to imagine someone with money acting in the fashion you describe regardless of their belief system. I dont pretend to have any insight into the way hi-so and would-be hi-so Thais live their lives, but I haven't seen too many wandering through construction yards barefoot. The Santika fire is the last time I can recall an incident involving a large number of victims from the big end of town but I dont read the newspapers in Thailand.

The hi-so will speed with their sport cars for example. Same risk level with different budget. Obviously, rich people won't go around construction yards, barefoot or not. But I am building a house here and the construction workers leave their shoes around and walk barefoot. They could just put them, but they choose not to because they are more comfortable. Of course they have helmets for the motorbikes, actually they will usually give you a couple of them for free when you buy one here, they just choose not to put it on most part of the time. And anyways, hi-so could be 1% of the Thai population? Age doesnt seem to be a factor either, in the village i am about to move the oldsters wear no helmet either. It is a different way of life, one that I love.