will Pattaya be next

gamini

For as long as I can remember (40 years) many efforts were made to get all the illegal buildings on South Parraya beach removed. The owners collectively refused. So great was the combined high political and Mafia ownwship and connections of these properties that efforts to remove them were considered impossible. So the aurgorities gave up.

I wonder if Thai military will suceed as they have done in Phuket, I think that they will have to, otherwise they will be accused of double standards and get flak from the Phuket encroachers.

• Like 1

I see no obvious reason why the NCPO should fail with the mafia/cartels in Pattaya when they have succeeded with the ones in Phuket. That said the buildings that overhang the sea along Walking Street are not an obvious target as the "beach" there is non-existent and so removing the buildings would only make Walking Street less interesting (if that is possible).

I think you need to look to Baan Amphur and especially Bang Saray. Over the past few years some of the buildings on the water are exchanging for ridiculous amounts with no ownership whatsoever. Personally I refuse to list them as basically you would be buying a few sticks of wood.

That said the buildings that overhang the sea along Walking Street are not an obvious target

as the "beach" there is non-existent and so removing the buildings would only make Walking Street less interesting

Why do you say "non-existent" for the Walking Street Beach ?

There was a beach there, and she could reappear if some off the many pillars were removed.

Well, if all the pillars and buildings were removed and if a whole load of sand was brought in then you would end up with a beach rather like the rest of Pattaya beach which I personally dont think is really worth having, though the Koreans and Chinese seem to like it.

You would also have half of Walking Street on the opposite side of the road to the reclaimed beach and probably a load of broken bottles and vomit and medical paraphernalia all over the sand every morning. I just dont see that being very desirable. So I would be inclined to leave Walking Street as it is for those who like it (I dont) and concentrate on tidying up the other 2-3km of beach to the north of Walking Street (ie removing the deckchair merchants and jet-ski villains, and running a beach garbage collection machine over it every morning).

Unless of course the idea is to remove the illegal structures and open the area out thus probably causing the death of Walking Street as an "entertainment hub" in the short term, which I would not object to either. It is rather pointless having such a place right on the beach and putting it somewhere like Soi Buakow would make a lot more sense.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 2

My concern is many of them are death traps with little or no ways of escape in the event of a fire.

For knocking them down, YES.

Replacing the beach NO, the business on the other side of the road are night life orientated.

Rebuild the west side of walking street, with a good entertainment mall with a raised walk way for walking and possibly even fishing on the back of it, that could be used for escape.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 2

My prediction is that within 10 years (or quite possibly sooner) Walking Street as we know it will cease to exist in its current location.

The beach-side properties will be removed and what is now Walking Street will be developed into an upmarket resort area. The properties on the east side will all be taken over and the entire area re-developed.

There will be plenty of willing investors for this kind of development from Thailand's many billionaires and even further afield.

The local Mafia won't stand a chance, not with the NCPO and it's successors behind it.

This is all in keeping with Thailand's long term plan which has been supported by successive governments (of whatever hue), to get rid of Pattaya's seedy reputation and move the city up market.

Of course the seedy side will never disappear completely - it will simply be relocated - quite possibly to the east side of Sukhumvit...

• Like 1

I see no obvious reason why the NCPO should fail with the mafia/cartels in Pattaya when they have succeeded with the ones in Phuket. That said the buildings that overhang the sea along Walking Street are not an obvious target as the "beach" there is non-existent and so removing the buildings would only make Walking Street less interesting (if that is possible).

there are plans to make a marina where the shophouses are now.

My prediction is that within 10 years (or quite possibly sooner) Walking Street as we know it will cease to exist in its current location.

The beach-side properties will be removed and what is now Walking Street will be developed into an upmarket resort area. The properties on the east side will all be taken over and the entire area re-developed.

There will be plenty of willing investors for this kind of development from Thailand's many billionaires and even further afield.

The local Mafia won't stand a chance, not with the NCPO and it's successors behind it.

This is all in keeping with Thailand's long term plan which has been supported by successive governments (of whatever hue), to get rid of Pattaya's seedy reputation and move the city up market.

Of course the seedy side will never disappear completely - it will simply be relocated - quite possibly to the east side of Sukhumvit...

I have such an idea that with the ceasing of the sex industry Pattaya will cease at the same time, because there are beach resorts just a stone throw away that have more beautiful beaches and cleaner water than Pattaya.

• Like 1

Oh No! Tell that to all the people living on the east side of Sukhumvit who moved there to escape the seediness.

Oh No! Tell that to all the people living on the east side of Sukhumvit who moved there to escape the seediness.

House prices will rocket.

I have such an idea that with the ceasing of the sex industry Pattaya will cease at the same time, because there are beach resorts just a stone throw away that have more beautiful beaches and cleaner water than Pattaya.

Well cleaning up could also include the water and with a little effort a decent beach could appear. But of course there are better beaches towards Jomtiem and Wong Amat.

I am more inclined to say the buildings under question have no legality, encroach onto public land (the beach) and block access. That should be reason enough to tackle their existence.

The over-the-sea restaurants are popular though!

The NCPO announced on tv the other night that they are looking into solving illegal prostitution in Pattaya and other tourist areas. Quite what this means I don't know, but no doubt that would be by far this biggest issue to solve. I mean it's not like they could all walk into 9-5 jobs on 20-30k a month. And with no welfare system in place, who will support their kids? Certainly not the fathers.

Perhaps regulation that protects their rights as workers and humans would be a better place to start.

If you tear down 1/2 of Walking Street, it's going to die for sure... That's the draw...

• Like 1

Well cleaning up could also include the water and with a little effort a decent beach could appear. But of course there are better beaches towards Jomtiem and Wong Amat.

I am more inclined to say the buildings under question have no legality, encroach onto public land (the beach) and block access. That should be reason enough to tackle their existence.

With the public getting use of the encroachment onto public beach land for more than swimming

The NCPO announced on tv the other night that they are looking into solving illegal prostitution in Pattaya and other tourist areas. Quite what this means I don't know, but no doubt that would be by far this biggest issue to solve. I mean it's not like they could all walk into 9-5 jobs on 20-30k a month. And with no welfare system in place, who will support their kids? Certainly not the fathers.

Perhaps regulation that protects their rights as workers and humans would be a better place to start.

If you are to believe the statistics (tongue in cheek), Thailand has the lowest unemployment rate on the planet... The point is there is normal work to be found in the country, if a person is willing to do the work...

We visited Pattaya beach on Saturday. I really don't mind the umbrellas and stuff. What I didn't like was the real mess on the beach: bottles, broken and not yet broken, paper of unknown origin, horrible brown gooey lumps, and so on. I should prefer these beaches to be cleaned daily with one of those machines designed for the job. Same goes for Phuket, surely the municipalities can afford one each?

The kids enjoyed it anyway but we won't be back that's for sure.

With the public getting use of the encroachment onto public beach land for more than swimming

50 years ago South Pattaya beach was fabulous. The water was so clear that we could snorkel over a beautiful reef just about 200 meters out. There were a lot of big fish there too. It would be a big job to clean it up but it could be done.

We visited Pattaya beach on Saturday. I really don't mind the umbrellas and stuff. What I didn't like was the real mess on the beach: bottles, broken and not yet broken, paper of unknown origin, horrible brown gooey lumps, and so on. I should prefer these beaches to be cleaned daily with one of those machines designed for the job. Same goes for Phuket, surely the municipalities can afford one each?

Indeed. In other countries they seem to manage to drive a beach cleaning tractor over the popular beaches every morning. The Thai Navy beaches just down the coast are also kept clean somehow. Why not the regular tourist beaches here?

Could it be that the garbage sweeping machines simply cant get on the sand here because of all the umbrellas and chairs and tables which are set up at daybreak?

What about Samui? Will anything ever change, or improve in that long forgotten land? It has been ignored by the Surat Thani, and central government for decades now. No municipal sewage plant, no completion of the ring road, horribly untrained and ineffective policing, no safety standards, no clean up of the beaches (unless done by hotel staffs, no enforcement of the no smoking laws anywhere on the island, no law enforcement at all, except the occasional drug busts. The same 10 families run the place like business as usual. Will the Junta ignore the forgotten island? Time will tell. Hope not.

There is a plan to build a continuation of beach road behind the buildings on the beach side, which would be elevated out of the sea, and run the full length to the marina at the south end, and then re-join the beach road again. Has been floated many times over the years, but there was a push to get it started in the last few years.

Interesting.

The first TRT government, elected in 2001, proposed, under Interior Minister Purachai's "Social Order Crusade" that unaccompanied women should not be allowed into places of entertainment and "unmarried" couples would not be allowed to share hotel rooms - not uncommon I believe in certain neighbouring countries. This was to put an end to prostitution. Needless to say these proposals caused a certain degree of apoplexy and of course never happened; but maybe this time things will be different. There's nothing like dusting off an old plan to make a new one.

Purachai, as the historical minded may recall, ultimately thwarted on this and other "Social Order Crusade" issues , went off to New Zealand, a suitably morally upright country.

Edited by DoctorB

But why would anyone want to demolish some quite nice sea food restaurants and a number of pretty funky discos and night spots for the sake of a stretch of dirty sand lapped by filthy sea water, with a pollution count more appropriate to a sewage farm?

Ok, "Because it's public land", but that's just cutting off your nose to spite your face. Pattaya is supposed to be a holiday resort for the fun crowd.

City hall will make a lot more from the restaurants and entertainment venues that it ever will from a load more deck chairs, pestered by beggars and hawkers. Anyway, the beach at Jomtien is much nicer.

There is a plan to build a continuation of beach road behind the buildings on the beach side, which would be elevated out of the sea, and run the full length to the marina at the south end, and then re-join the beach road again. Has been floated many times over the years, but there was a push to get it started in the last few years.

I did not know about this, but as I stated earlier, there needs to be some walkway at least on the seaward side of these buildings, further more many of the the buildings are a death trap.

so the future as I see it is:

The buildings demolished and replaced with a mall complex based on current use, behind that a raised road connecting Beach Road to the pier, maybe above the road terraces with a sea view, featuring fish restaurants, open air bars, etc. out to sea a upper class marina, a continuation of Bali Hi, and above the mall complex posh apartments and a luxury hotel.

As for the owners of the current properties, as I see it they built illegally and have no rights but then they have developed walking street in to what it is so should have something and maybe a partnership with the developers to retain their business in new premises rent free as there will be plenty of scope for the developer to to capitalise with the building of luxury flats, hotel and possibly more shops and night clubs.

Edited by Basil B

IIRC buildings at and over the beach side along what now is Walking Street are the replacement of what once was the fishing village and port of pre-tourism Pattaya. I seem to remember that end of the 80s there still had been some dwellings of local fishermen there. Removing existing buildings does not really return an original pristine beach.

Edited by RTH10260