Online freelancer, long stay in Thailand

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Internet speeds in Asia: ...

Yes, and?
International Internet access is largely good enough for any online work. smile.png
Even Poker player can use it wink.png

International internet speeds are barely sufficient in Bangkok for doing real online work.

1mb upload..... I don't work here but in Bangkok I have to turn off my Dropbox and all other cloud storage as its just too slow syncing my computers with the cloud.

It can get you even harder if you have a Child and or GF/wife in this country but you have no right to stay with your family and work from home.

I understand some guys here who are angry or even are jealous if someone lives in Thailand is working online enjoying his life here but can't pay taxes and only provides his contribution by bringing his money in this country and probably spending 3-4 times more then the avarge thai for food, accomodation etc. People like this still bringing money to this country. It is not that they take away jobs of any thai and or earning money which comes from thailand. No this is a full win situation for thailand. 

• Like 1

It can get you even harder if you have a Child and or GF/wife in this country but you have no right to stay with your family and work from home.

I understand some guys here who are angry or even are jealous if someone lives in Thailand is working online enjoying his life here but can't pay taxes and only provides his contribution by bringing his money in this country and probably spending 3-4 times more then the avarge thai for food, accomodation etc. People like this still bringing money to this country. It is not that they take away jobs of any thai and or earning money which comes from thailand. No this is a full win situation for thailand. 

Indeed. Maybe the legislation will catch up at some point. In the meantime, I'd wager quite a few online professionals will be seeking friendlier waters if this crackdown keeps getting worse.

Glad you have the information straight from the Elite card offices rather than the mis-informed posters here.  Did they make any suggestion how you could resolve your situation?

I don't have a situation, I was just pointing out the Elite card isn't a solution to working online legally, which is what the thread is about, when I saw posters referencing the Elite card in said thread.  

The Thai Elite card doesn't permit one to work, right? It's a solution to stay long term with no questions asked, but not a solution to work online legally. 

You're absolutely spot on..... Yes, the elite card may allow you to stay for 5 years hassle free, but it's still a gamble!, especially if you're working here illegally.... if you pinned 500000THB on staying here for 5 years, you would want some sort of garantee! ....

I guess the people who brag about earning loads doing freelance/contract work in thailand, throwing away 500000THB on a risk of getting caught or having the visa rules changed wouldn't phase them!
If you have the Elite card. They will help you getting a WP. There have been threads about it here. Obviously you can only work with those kind of jobs that are allowed Edited by larsjohnsson

International internet speeds are barely sufficient in Bangkok for doing real online work.
1mb upload..... I don't work here but in Bangkok I have to turn off my Dropbox and all other cloud storage as its just too slow syncing my computers with the cloud.

1Mb? If you use Internet for you work, you should take something better than the cheapest package!
I am on 3BB and they have packages with upload of 1Mb, 5Mb, 20 Mb... smile.png
Maybe you don't get that on International, but you still get far more than 1Mb! wink.png
  • Like 1

This is what interest me to.
Lets say you "work", example:
Building websites, Selling online 3D models made in 3D studio, Youtube partner (get paid by Google), Play games and get paid by doing so, Manager of some company who are not required to stay in the office, Sell on eBay (you sell at your home but decided to come to Thailand for 1-2 or more months) ...... and so on and so on.
So by this logic, as soon as you enter Thailand you are in violation of the law, or... ?

Can someone explain this to me and anyone who wish to know? smile.png

Edit:  I found out that you are not allowed to even wash your car or some other stupid "work" so by that logic , are you allowed even to carry bags from 7/11? You have to pay someone to carry for you?

Few years ago I was stopped by two cops outside a shop.
They asked me what i was doing and show them my shop bag and they told me I was violating the law because shopping in Thailand was forbidden for foreigners.
So I told them to go with me and tell the shop owner to return my money in exchange of the stuff I had bought.
At that point, they let me go.

How many stories can you make up ? I see these kind of silly post from you every day here
  • Like 1

I think there might be some confusion.  I was not referring to retirement visa requirements, but specifically about the "young and rich" category of under-50's who want to work online, but who have trouble with raising 500k for the Elite card -- assuming the Elite card actually satisfies their requirements in other ways -- which I have not investigated.

There's no confusion, mate.

The point is if 500K should be a cinch for anyone working online, then ALL retirees should be able to find 800k to qualify for a retirement visa without resorting to borrowing it

We all know that lots of people wanting retirement visas don't actually HAVE 800k to meet the criteria.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when Immigration change the rules to make it so that, in order to qualify for a retirement visa, the 800k MUST be on deposit in a Thai account for SIX  months prior to application for an extension.

Let's see how many wheezers are spotted weeping into their happy hour shandy at the prospect of stepping off a plane in the middle of winter back in Farangland.

You don't need to have 800k in a Thai account to get the retirement extension. That's only one out of a few options to meet the requirement for the money part.

Essentially what this thread boils down to is:

There is no feasible legal way for a self-employed online professional to live in Thailand beyond 30, maybe 90 days.

There is no legal way for a self-employed online professional to live in Thailand at allYour first 30 days on a visa-exempt entry or 90 days on a tourist visa are illegal as well (if you work)

• Like 1

The Thai Elite card doesn't permit one to work, right? It's a solution to stay long term with no questions asked, but not a solution to work online legally. 

It's extremely unsafe. It could be cancelled any moment. It had happened in the past , with some special elite cards, which were cancelled later.
If you pay 500K and after 1 day the plan is cancelled, that would be your most expensive vacation in your life. 
Another untrue story from you. The old elite cards are still in use and working

Yes you can of course only do those jobbs that are allowed.

Well duh. Thanks for adding nothing to the thread that hasn't been discussed 3 times already. A thread about being an online freelancer.

Well duh. Thanks for adding nothing to the thread that hasn't been discussed 3 times already. A thread about being an online freelancer.
And thank you, your post really added a lot.
We all know the answer to the OP question. And all people here know if it is allowed or not

If so, the kind of people we're discussing here are more likely than not to simply move on. I guess LoS will eventually figure out whether that's a win or a loss for them.

The LOS already knows whether it's a win or loss--clearly a win--which is why they are cracking down.  Thailand doesn't need foreigners who refuse to abide by the law.  And it has nothing to do with money, which is all these people always seem to bring up.  If you can't be here legally, then you shouldn't be here. 

• Like 1

If you have the Elite card. They will help you getting a WP. There have been threads about it here

But not to work online, which this thread is about.

But being an online freelancer is not allowed.

48459658.jpg

1Mb? If you use Internet for you work, you should take something better than the cheapest package!
I am on 3BB and they have packages with upload of 1Mb, 5Mb, 20 Mb... smile.png
Maybe you don't get that on International, but you still get far more than 1Mb! wink.png

I am not using it for work.  

I said that if someone was, then it is barely fast enough here.  

Therefore anyone thinking of going to Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos to work online should seriously consider whether the internet speeds in those places (slower than Bangkok) are enough for their work requirements.

I pay 1600 THB a month for 16mb down and 1mb up with 3BB.

The level of service you can get depends on your building and where in Bangkok it is.  

I have the fastest service available for this area (udomsuk) and this building.

For the past month the connection (down) has been so bad that Google Chat will not even connect.   

I can stream TV shows no problem, but anything that goes through Google (even google.apis and google.fonts) causes the page to take forever to load.    

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when Immigration change the rules ... Awaiting from where?

AND WHY???

Because it'll be amusing to see a completely different group of posters being smug and self-righteous when lots of pensioners can't meet freshly-tightened criteria for retirement visa/extension qualification.

I PERSONALLY know 2 guys on retirement visas who are desperately seeking WORK because they can't afford to live here.

They both use those companies that lend them the money to prove they've got the 800K because they can't show the requisite monthly income.

Well obv OP didn't know, if he asked.

Indeed. I just left LoS, this thread helped me make up my mind. Good luck to those who choose to stay.

Just to clarify -- there has been no official word from the Elite card office about what they can do to help someone in this situation, and I have no personal need to call them, but it would have been a useful conversation perhaps and might have made you choose a different course of action.  Finding a company to employ you here in your field is a no-brainer because they really need fluent English speakers.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when Immigration change the rules ... Awaiting from where?

AND WHY???

Because it'll be amusing to see a completely different group of posters being smug and self-righteous when lots of pensioners can't meet freshly-tightened criteria for retirement visa/extension qualification.

I PERSONALLY know 2 guys on retirement visas who are desperately seeking WORK because they can't afford to live here.

They both use those companies that lend them the money to prove they've got the 800K because they can't show the requisite monthly income.

There's a big difference between being able to meet the requirements of a retirement extension and "not being able to afford to live here".  The requirements are minimal, even a basic UK state pension needs only a little topping up.  The affordability is up to the guy --  maybe a change in lifestyle would be a remedy,,,,  ;)

For the past month the connection (down) has been so bad that Google Chat will not even connect.

This has nothing to see with your provider or its normal quality.
Everyone has more or less the same problem in Thailand, mainly in evening,
but the reason is the gateway the Military installed to filter "inappropriate content".
Good quality will come back when they will decide to remove it. smile.png

I personally am not 'amused' to see anyone experience difficulties because of a change in interpretation of existing visa/immigration law... and I certainly don't see why anyone would be amused at some change in the laws themselves which may or may not ever happen.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Saigon is a hot spot for online workers right now and the visa situation in Vietnam is considerably easier than Thailand.

An ED visa will get you permission to stay in Thailand for about 30,000/year (go to the classes and be a legitimate student if you do it, don't be a <deleted> and ruin it for everyone else). It will not give you permission to work and a work permit cannot be obtained on an ED visa. I've never heard of immigration enforcing the work restriction against someone who was working online from their home, not making too much noise about it, and not doing work related to Thai companies or Thai people, however. (Has anybody?)

Just end a relationship, annoy your neighbour or a love rival, have an accident, etc and see how fast immigration come knocking on your door.

I certainly would not want to live 'permanently' under those circumstances...

Saigon is a hot spot for online workers right now and the visa situation in Vietnam is considerably easier than Thailand.

An ED visa will get you permission to stay in Thailand for about 30,000/year (go to the classes and be a legitimate student if you do it, don't be a <deleted> and ruin it for everyone else). It will not give you permission to work and a work permit cannot be obtained on an ED visa. I've never heard of immigration enforcing the work restriction against someone who was working online from their home, not making too much noise about it, and not doing work related to Thai companies or Thai people, however. (Has anybody?)

Just end a relationship, annoy your neighbour or a love rival, have an accident, etc and see how fast immigration come knocking on your door.

I certainly would not want to live 'permanently' under those circumstances...

Thats the point most other countries will give expats much earlier the possibility of a residence permit. 

If you have the Elite card. They will help you getting a WP. There have been threads about it here

But not to work online, which this thread is about.

But being an online freelancer is not allowed.

But I replied to a statement that said you could not get a WP with the Elite card. And you can get a WP. For a freelancer online it doesn't matter what he do or have. It will not be legal

Edited by ubonjoe
removed image from (not relevant)