Thai Meteorological Dept warns of heavy rains in the next 1-2 days

webfact

Meteorological Department warns of heavy rains in the next 1-2 days

BANGKOK, 14 July 2014 (NNT) - The Meteorological Department has forecasted that heavy rains are set to strike across Thailand in the next 1-2 days. Meanwhile, in Nakhon Phanom Province, locals are facing trouble in their travelling after flash floods have destroyed a bridge in their locality.

Flash floods have eroded the footing of a bridge over a creek in Si Songkhram District, Nakhon Phanom province. The concrete bridge measures 50 meters long and around 8 meters wide. The flood waters have softened the soil surface near the bridge’s pillars, making it on the brink of collapse.

Locals have placed several sandbags around the area to obstruct the flow of water and to save the bridge. The road leading to the bridge is set to be closed temporarily if rains and strong currents continue, to reduce the likelihood of accidents.

In Satun province, strong waves have prevented locals from going into the sea. Fishermen are only able to set sail along the seashore using small boats to catch fish.

The Meteorological Department also reported that the southwestern monsoon covering the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand coupled with a low pressure cell covering northern region of Vietnam are set to cause heavy rains across the country.

Waves in the Andaman Sea are expected to reach 2 meters high. Fishermen and boat operators are advised to take caution before setting sail.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-14 footer_n.gif

Or even more interesting might be a detailed, reliable forecast for a specific area... like say... Bangkok where about 12 million people live. Seriously... it seems even a huge Typhoon forecast is only as specific as "set to hit over the next 2 days". I realize this announcement was for the nation in general. But a look to the BMA page offers little different news than has been up for past month. "60% vs. 40% coverage" What does that mean?post-68679-0-59408800-1405327766_thumb.p

• Like 2

Does Thailand have anyway of properly redirecting this water to the dams that they say are critically low or does all this rain that Thailand gets just go to waste?

Up here in Phitsanulok the rain is filling the paddie fields. Yesterday we had just enough moisture in the soil to keep the paddie alive. With last nights rain and the rain now there willl be 10's of thousands of hectare of paddie fields with good crops in to be harvested in several weeks.

But that doesn't help fill the dams!

• Like 2

Not really surprising really! The water is wasted during Songkran festival, their is no plans in place to contain water from over flowing rivers and canals when there is too much water to use as a back-up for farmers and the dams. Every year this happens and every year the results are the same, so show me how to teach a Thai a new trick?

• Like 2

Heavy rain now in Buriram -just as most afternoons for the past week!

phuket has been totally dry for over a week. a few small showers today but not much. and windguru says not much comming here over the next week. i guess its just going over our heads.

Heavy rain now in Buriram -just as most afternoons for the past week!

phuket has been totally dry for over a week. a few small showers today but not much. and windguru says not much comming here over the next week. i guess its just going over our heads.

BEEN heavy rain and thunder storms here in Kamala the past couple of hours, came through a heavy rainfall last night coming through Thalang from the airport.... bloody deafening noise out the back of my house every time it rains, frogs and other animals..

The flood waters have softened the soil surface near the bridge’s pillars, making it on the brink of collapse.

The road leading to the bridge is set to be closed temporarily if rains and strong currents continue

The bridge is on the brink of collapse, but the road is not closed yet...

Ok, I understand, amulets again...

• Like 2

Does Thailand have anyway of properly redirecting this water to the dams that they say are critically low or does all this rain that Thailand gets just go to waste?

The dams are in the mountains in the north and north east. How do you redirect the rain water from the central plain area, which is much lower than the dams, into these dams ? Gravity is a b...h.

• Like 1

Last 2-3 nights in CNX it has poured for hours at a time. Plenty of rain here.

When last night?

I was at Sunday walking street, it threatened but it never rained. It had a downpour what Friday?? and was a bit drizly Saturday morning that was the first serious rain we'd had in weeks.

Unless you're elsewhere in the provence and not in the City proper.

We can only hope that it continues to bucket down in the far north in the Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai areas and further east to Phayao, Nan etc.Those areas are where the water comes from to fill Bhumibol and Sirikit dams.

Thailand has lots of FREE SUN Energy and Free water -

Both are 90% wasted - Extreme inefficiency.

The Chinese will "give away" their massive surplus of Solar Voltaic cells.

Subject to negotiaion/goodwill - Sale by return (ROI)

Japan or UK will build Hydro Plants with low interest loans...

(Land, under water and over water farms (Wind))

Thailand a nation of [modern] farmers

• Like 1

Who said rain in Chiang Mai? It has been very dry with great weather. I can play golf anytime during the day without heat problems. Evenings at the bar are great. Seems like many Bangkok people and girls have come to CM recently. That is good!

Nothing worse than being "stuck indoors all day " due to heavy rain! (Rather similar to living in the UK)

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Similar to UK blink.png 1. its not cold, 2 sit on the balcony and enjoy a beer, 3 read a book and have a nap in the hammock .4 sex is a little better when its raining,, maybe just me ?? but not in the Hammock... if your lucky enough to be in a beer bar,,, wet Tshirts grrrrrrw00t.gif

Similar to U K ,,,,,, sounds like a Whinging Pom Always can go back Home !

When last night?

I was at Sunday walking street, it threatened but it never rained. It had a downpour what Friday?? and was a bit drizly Saturday morning that was the first serious rain we'd had in weeks.

I live about 18k east of the city, on the way to San Kamphaeng, and the past few nights it has rained hard for hours each night, but with beautiful day time weather.

18:50 Just started again, hard.

Edited by Just1Voice

Jomtien / Na Jomtien : rained maybe 6 times in 8 months. 1 x time heavy for about 3 x hours, rest have been relatively light showers. Terrible here - need rain and lots of it please- I will fix those leaks in the roof and anything else that the rain causes- but I need rain. Please.

• Like 1

Nothing worse than being "stuck indoors all day " due to heavy rain! (Rather similar to living in the UK)

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Loosing one's home and livelihood due to flooding somehow seems "worse" than being confined to a dry home with one's family and personal possessions intact.

Most Thai dams are located at North. Thailand need big dams at the central plains, around Ayuttaya and in Isan areas to collect waters going to flood BK ...to use it for irrigation during dry season...and to direct the overflow to the ocean. Big project!..and a lot more important than a bullet train.

Not really surprising really! The water is wasted during Songkran festival, their is no plans in place to contain water from over flowing rivers and canals when there is too much water to use as a back-up for farmers and the dams. Every year this happens and every year the results are the same, so show me how to teach a Thai a new trick?

I doubt seriously that the water splashed around at songram would make a big difference in the level of one of the dams. It has to rain in the north and northeast to fill the major dams.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When last night?

I am 3 min. north of Thaepae gate and is was torrential down pour as was a little over an hr. ago and the same 2 nights ago. It is a hit and miss.

Today I drove in and out of a huge down pour near MaeJo. So it's dry and wet.blink.png