Out-in visa hoppers now being barred from entry to Thailand

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP "PHUKET: -- Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, Superintendent of the Phuket Immigration Office, this afternoon confirmed to The Phuket News that the multiple “Out-In” visa hop is now officially dead.

“Every immigration post on land borders and at airports now has the same rules.

“If they are genuine tourists that's fine. But if we believe they are not tourists, they will not be readmitted into Thailand.

“We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas]. We will not let them in.”"

Why does Thailand immigration 'leak' information about something as serious as being able to use or not use a particular type of visa to enter Thailand through a local area superintendent in Phuket instead of having "The Big Boss" of said immigration come out with a clear and concise statement, perhaps through George at Thai Visa forum, which could clear up this whole matter once and for all.

Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij states" Every immigration post on land borders and at airports now has the same rules", yet this would seem to contradict the original document stating that 'visa exempt' entries would no longer be accepted at airports from 12th August and made no mention of TR tourist visa's.

It is time for the immigration department to issue a definitive and unambiguous statement that states exactly what will and will not be accepted at the border and for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to stop supplying visas to people if they know will be refused entry at the border into Thailand. Let's have no more "Thai Visa has it on good authority that.....", or The Nation understands that...... or The Phuket Gazette can exclusively reveal....., get the top man of the immigration to make the statement and put an end to all this conjecture and confusion.

I believe they have attempted to clarify this in writing but baulked at the clause for refusal of Boris and Andre dressed in their speedos and the Cyrillic tattoos that read born to kill! So up to the official to pick and choose who they deem to be ok.

• Like 1

I thought the airport was safe until August 12? This has now changed?

Anyways, I am flying in after a few days visit to a neighboring country this week. I will be flying in on the second leg of a tourist visa.

Just in case, I will have proof of income, 30.,000 baht cash, and a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days.

Test case, I suppose. I had only one other tourist visa this year, but some back to back border runs. I was in the USA and the Philippines for a month each to break it all up.

Confusion and fear....but converting to 9o day O with retirement extension as soon as I return.\

Will post results.

From his posts, it may be that English is not his first language;

therefore, his English reading comprehension skills may not match that of a native speaker/reader.

His command of English can't be worse than mine... I am a French wink.png

OK. Sorry. Back to Visa... smile.png

Ajarn.com just had an update from our Dept that a directive was issued today.

It states no tourists can have back to back tourist visas now under any circumstances at any entry point, land or air.

Info has always been very reliable from our source. Seems like this is a response to the much publicised issues on ThaiVisa.com from the weekend.

Hi Mataleo. You already posted this same message yesterday on page 3 of this same topic,

and I told you you were wrong, but you post that again! Why?...

The Ajarn article starts with "From mid-August, *if* new immigration rule changes come about..."

and then is then very different that what you say they said...

Sorry i forgot i posted it here and i didnt see ur msg.

That info is insiders info not from article.

Edited by mataleo

"Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij states" Every immigration post on land borders and at airports now has the same rules", yet this would seem to contradict the original document stating that 'visa exempt' entries would no longer be accepted at airports from 12th August and made no mention of TR tourist visa's."

I'd go with the official statement of August 12 , still I'll find out for myself next Wednesday morning

imagine, hopper or not, that you have wife & kids here, a condo, a car, a mortgage ...

say goodbye to everything on the stop ?

cannot even take out your money / savings from the bank ?

Stop hyperventilating and take a deep breath. Anyone with such assets (I'm not including the wifey as an asset) would likely be allowed in, if not on heir visa then on an entry stamp basis. They could then make appropriate plans based on what type of visa/extension category for which they could qualify.

If nothing fits, they would have time to sell-up and return to their homeland.

Have I understood this correctly?? Thai embassy abroad are issuing tourist-VISAS like there is no tomorrow and debit money for it as well. And than people are being denied entry to Thailand. I mean, can not the thai embassy see the exact same thing as the immigration-personal at the border to Thailand in respective passport they are stamping??????

Can somebody enlighten me plse...

Glegolo

Yes, a proper approach IMO would be that these issues were sorted out already at the embassy, but apparently they do not do that - thereby giving people a false expectation that all is in order only to find out otherwise at the entrance point. I think the airlines will also be very frustrated because they may have passengers who are refused entry even if they have valid documents.

On the Visa Application Form I am fairly sure there is a question something like "Purpose of Visit" - to which a Tourist would reply "Tourism".

And what would happen at the Embassy / Consulate if they denied you a Tourist Visa because they did not believe you? Lots of choleric Farang demanding "are you calling me a liar!!??" etc. etc..

Plus these Embassies are there to generate money for Thailand in the form of Visa Fees (they almost certainly have targets too) so it's not in their interests to deny your application - nor, frankly, are they there to hold your hand and advise you what to do. You, the applicant, knows very well whether you are a genuine Tourist or not, if you want to lie on the application and take a risk then that's your choice.

Also I do not believe the Airlines will have any problems - they are only responsible for repatriating someone who has no outward Ticket or has no valid Visa. If the Visa is not accepted by Immigration on arrival it's absolutely nothing to do with the Airline and you, the passenger, are on your own to arrange Flights out of Thailand, even if it means sleeping airside for a day or two.

Patrick

• Like 1

"Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij states" Every immigration post on land borders and at airports now has the same rules", yet this would seem to contradict the original document stating that 'visa exempt' entries would no longer be accepted at airports from 12th August and made no mention of TR tourist visa's."

I'd go with the official statement of August 12 , still I'll find out for myself next Wednesday morning

I take no particular joy in this, but are you concerned that you may be bounced ? But for this forum, I would have naively jumped on a plane somewhere around now and gone to Penang for my second Tourist Visa this year, fully expecting to get the visa and fly back into Thailand without a care in the world. Without ubonjoe and one or two others here, and the good graces of the staff at Jomtien Immigration, the second half of July could have been very, very different for me. Good luck and I hope you'll let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

I take no particular joy in this, but are you concerned that you may be bounced ? But for this forum, I would have naively jumped on a plane somewhere around now and gone to Penang for my second Tourist Visa this year, fully expecting to get the visa and fly back into Thailand without a care in the world. Without ubonjoe and one or two others here, and the good graces of the staff at Jomtien Immigration, the second half of July could have been very, very different for me. Good luck and I hope you'll let us know how you get on.

Thanks mate , Ive lived in Penang actually for 5 years. i have a passport full of Thai entries , still probably only 6 weeks total a year, but I fear the worst for Immigrations use of "Discretion"

Give me a shout if you need any info about Penang , if/when you are coming back

I've always been curious. Does the tourist visa prevent me from working for a foreign company while I'm here? Let's say that I'm a programmer, and I'm living in Thailand, but still working for a company I started in the United States. All my money comes from the United States, but I spend it all here. Is that prohibited by the tourist visa? I had always assumed that the working visa was only required for people who wanted jobs based in Thailand, but maybe that's not the case. I would assume they would want people like that here, as all they would be doing is bringing more money into their country. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks!

Edited by jonnycook

I've always been curious. Does the tourist visa prevent me from working for a foreign company while I'm here? Let's say that I'm a programmer, and I'm living in Thailand, but still working for a company I started in the United States. All my money comes from the United States, but I spend it all here. Is that prohibited by the tourist visa?

Yes, this is illegal

We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas].

But once again they did not say how long is "too long"... sad.png

In general too long is when you stay in total more than 6 months per year in a country...

We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas].

But once again they did not say how long is "too long"... sad.png

In general too long is when you stay in total more than 6 months per year in a country...

Many could agree with that. I could.

Just why don't they write clearly:

"Tourist Visa restrained to 180 days by year" or "No more than 90 days by 180 days period"

It would avoid many questions of people unsure of their legal status...

• Like 1

imagine, hopper or not, that you have wife & kids here, a condo, a car, a mortgage ...

why not get a non -o?

my question is: Does this include non o's ? i have 12 month non o .....

is that included in these new laws? am i safe? ....ty.

I work in the mining sector and I visit Thailand every 4th or 5th week for 1 to 2 weeks on my R & R. I rent an apartment and my GF lives in it while I work overseas. I enter Thailand through Bangkok airport and have my passport stamped (not a visa) I will be flying into Bangkok on the 23rd July and my question is, what are my chances of being turned away at immigration?

I do not work in Thailand while I am there, genuine tourist only.

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

Any advice for someone under 50 that isn't married with no Thai children, that working outside of Thailand on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation, that wishes to spend his time off in Thailand??? Any suggestions???

You will have no problems whatsoever . . . you have a 6 week break each time between your visits to Thailand . . . you are NOT going out and back in again on the same day.

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

Any advice for someone under 50 that isn't married with no Thai children, that working outside of Thailand on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation, that wishes to spend his time off in Thailand??? Any suggestions???

Yes. You're living in Thailand so need a non-immigrant visa, not a tourist visa. If you don't meet the requirements you'll have to live somewhere else.

• Like 1

You will have no problems whatsoever . . . you have a 6 week break each time between your visits to Thailand . . . you are NOT going out and back in again on the same day.

Yes he is going out/in to extend his visa exempt entry.

why not get a non -o?

my question is: Does this include non o's ? i have 12 month non o .....

is that included in these new laws? am i safe? ....ty.

so far it sounds like youre safe

I've always been curious. Does the tourist visa prevent me from working for a foreign company while I'm here? Let's say that I'm a programmer, and I'm living in Thailand, but still working for a company I started in the United States. All my money comes from the United States, but I spend it all here. Is that prohibited by the tourist visa? I had always assumed that the working visa was only required for people who wanted jobs based in Thailand, but maybe that's not the case. I would assume they would want people like that here, as all they would be doing is bringing more money into their country. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks!

The thing is, many people have tried to solve this but the immigration officials have said "not interested because you are not working for a Thai company in a office in Thailand". Then there are the more strict Phuket officials with their own interpretation of the laws saying it is illegal but they seem to have their own rules anyway.

In practise the immigration officials in most cases are not interested on busting some writer or programmer or whatever online worker in some condo room, staring his computer all day. Foreigners getting busted are usually either bar owners working without permit in their own bar, language teachers or people in offices in Thailand.

So like all things in Thailand, it is "it depends and TiT".

Edited by Timwin

This crackdown means Thais actually have better chances to get work visas to 1st world EU countries than us foreigners with 3rd world Thailand blink.pngcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif So *ss backwards this cr*p...

Can you elaborate or is this just your opinion?

If a Thai candidate gets a job in EU country, it is all wide open. They can even work a couple of months without paying taxes in Scandinavian countries in agricultural sectors. Tens of thousands of Thais do that every summer. I have in my extended family one Thai working in France, one in UK and one in Sweden. No problems and all have by now permanent residence permits.

Health care, social and pension benefits all accessible with long term jobs. He can setup his own company, no need to employ 4 Europeans to get the work permit, 100 percent ownership allowed and can even own land. No forbidden job list except some government jobs with security clearance. We are getting the very short end of the stick in this deal.

This crackdown means Thais actually have better chances to get work visas to 1st world EU countries than us foreigners with 3rd world Thailand blink.pngcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif So *ss backwards this cr*p...

Can you elaborate or is this just your opinion?

If a Thai candidate gets a job in EU country, it is all wide open. They can even work a couple of months without paying taxes in Scandinavian countries in agricultural sectors. Tens of thousands of Thais do that every summer. I have in my extended family one Thai working in France, one in UK and one in Sweden. No problems and all have by now permanent residence permits.

Health care, social and pension benefits all accessible with long term jobs. He can setup his own company, no need to employ 4 Europeans to get the work permit, 100 percent ownership allowed and can even own land. No forbidden job list except some government jobs with security clearance. We are getting the very short end of the stick in this deal.

there was no deal. western nations need low cost labour, thailand doesnt.

• Like 1

I received an emergency treatment in November last year and had to have a tooth extracted. However, the dentist made a dental treatment plan for me which would require a minor surgery etc. and would take around 3 months to complete and cost between 50,000 and 80,000 THB in total. I have now 3 tourist visas in my passport and 2 VOA. The last exit stamp from Thailand is 8th June 2014 (around 6 weeks ago). I need to go back to Thailand and continue this dental treatment as the dentist knows my case and have already taken X-rays etc. But if I get a new 2-months tourist visa, will I still be able to claim I need to continue my dental treatment and have it completed if questioned (which I probably will) by the Immigration? Will the Immigration approve, and believe me (I haven't kept any receipts from the dental treatment, but I could give them a phone number to my dentist in Phuket) and let me in to Thailand on a tourist visa even though it's for dental treatment I'm there for.

Technically you are not a tourist and should be on a non-immigrant "O" visa. This visa theoretically covers medical treatment, although Thai consulates in practice I believe tend to tell people coming here for medical treatment just to get a tourist visa.

Of course according to some of the idiots on this board, you are the sort of "trash" non-tourist abusing the tourist visa system that should go take your money and spend it with a dentist elsewhere.

Good luck.