What to do about the Dust?

avander

Probably nothing we can do but having been here now for about 8 months and living in a 5 level shophouse on the darkside I am amazed by the amount of dust that accumulates so quickly.

We have only recently had curtains put in (sheers and blackouts) and I am thinking they may act as a slight barrier but the dust still seems to move around of course and accumulates on everything even with the windows closed most of the time?  

The a/c filters also cop a hammering and need regular cleaning.  I also clean and dust off the PC regularly but the dust accumulates so fast again I am finding I need to dust it off every week or two.

Do others have the same problems and have you tried to reduce the problem?  I wonderwhat, if anything you may have done? 

I lived in Sydney most of my life and we had dust but never this much. I also wonder that it must affect our health here also?

sick.gif  

• Like 1

OP, same problem here.

But I got some radical solutions to your problem.

1. Wipe the dust out yourself.

2. Get a maid to do the dusting.

3. If everything fails, beg your wife/gf to do some dusting.

Optional:

Put some tape around your windows and doors to reduce the dust coming in.

Have the same problem here but as well as dust forming i get a lot of buildup of hair from my persian cat.

my solution is to get my gf to do regular cleaning then i tape her mouth up, at least it stops the nagging 1 problem solved i can live with the other,good luck lol. 

Maybe no dust but it's going to be a bitch getting out if a fire starts on the 15th floor

No shortage of fire escape staircases in my building. I have one directly opposite my unit. These are built of concrete and have nothing flammable in them.

Also there are water sprinklers every few yards throughout the common areas and in all the units, and smoke alarms in the corridors.

In a concrete condo building with tiled floors and plasterboard ceilings there isnt actually very much to burn, though it would be better if all the front doors were steel rather than wood.

No dust on high floors either, or mosquitoes for that matter.

'How can you stop the dust the dust?'  ... YOU CAN'T!

I have lived in central, eastern and northern Thailand and every place has been dusty!

OP, if your house/room is dusty after 2 weeks, CLEAN IT! Buy a hoover, a duster or just use a damp rag. I used to get really bothered about the dust but experience taught me that it just needs to be kept on top of. Both the wife and I work so when we don't have time, we get a maid. Once a week, 300 baht to clean the house top to bottom, sorted!

Or do a Somchai .. get the hose out (excuse the pun) and water down. LOL

Edited by lostmebike

I live on the 27th floor in Pratamnok and lots of dust. After 6 months I cleaned the A/C filters and was shocked to see the dust build up. I can see it must be done every 2 months from now on. I have a great housekeeper that comes once a week and leaves it spotless.

How to get rid of dust?

I usually sweep......A LOT..... lol..... OP it is a Thailand thing like spider webs under the coffee table.

I love when sweeping, the centipedes curl up and I can send them for a huge  broom ride out the front door!

Same problem here in Tokyo. Ubiquitous dust. Gets into everything somehow, even closed rooms with air filters running 24/7. They say it blows over from China. Obviously lots locally produced too. Thank goodness for my hardworking cleaning lady!

No problem at 20th floor...

Would never live at lower floor in this poluted country...

Maybe no dust but it's going to be a bitch getting out if a fire starts on the 15th floor  whistling.gif

thairastawoman will not run down if there is a fire. She'll run up to the top floor and jump in the swimming pool.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies so far.  A few of the obvious remedies are already being used such as more regular dusting.  The PC gets more regular treatment but furniture is also dusted and floors vacuumed.

The last reply from Greg Nixon is interesting as we have a small sand soil retailer over the road from us and I expect a lost of our dust does actually come from there. Though it would seem the problem is more widespread than that as many others I have spoken to indicate they have similar problems with dust (and not living opposite a sand soil retailer).  

The silver lining is that the retailer is moving within the next year and we don't expect another sand soil outlet.so will see what happens then, 

I really haven't experienced this much dust before and while very dountful of any result from my original post, I wondered if anyone had any other practical remedies that I may not have thought of such as barriers of some sort.  Maybe I should just employ the tape seal that Costas recommends and then pressurise the house cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

I lived in Sydney most of my life and we had dust but never this much. I also wonder that it must affect our health here also?

You have not lived near Parramatta Rd, or Windsor Rd. In the 80's we had to wipe the surfaces down every few days.

At my shop opposite Mabprachan Lake we had to wipe stuff down daily, there is a lot of dust on the darkside.

If you live near a busy road you will have a lot of dust and it doesn`t matter much how high up on the floors you are.I live on the 8 floor in Soi 15 near Second Rd and the amount of dust that has accumulated over the month I stay away is mindboggling,especially on the balcony.

Maybe no dust but it's going to be a bitch getting out if a fire starts on the 15th floor

No shortage of fire escape staircases in my building. I have one directly opposite my unit. These are built of concrete and have nothing flammable in them.

Also there are water sprinklers every few yards throughout the common areas and in all the units, and smoke alarms in the corridors.

In a concrete condo building with tiled floors and plasterboard ceilings there isnt actually very much to burn, though it would be better if all the front doors were steel rather than wood.

No dust on high floors either, or mosquitoes for that matter.

but still a good target for aircraft though.smile.png

I had a terrific amount of dust when they were building nearby, but nothing much now. The dust came in despite all the windows being tightly shut.

We had been discussing condo's vs houses in another thread. I never considered a dust free environment as being a plus for condos. How often would you need to dust high up in the sky?

Same problem here in Tokyo. Ubiquitous dust. Gets into everything somehow, even closed rooms with air filters running 24/7. They say it blows over from China. Obviously lots locally produced too. Thank goodness for my hardworking cleaning lady!

It's incredible how dust can travel. As an interesting example, in late September 2009 there occurred what is called the "Eastern Australian Dust Storm". The mountains in the North and South Islands of New Zealand were covered by orange dust. I witnessed this when flying over the Southern Alps in a helicopter in February 2010.

Edited by tropo

I never considered a dust free environment as being a plus for condos. How often would you need to dust high up in the sky?

Areas like kitchen counters and the kitchen floor I do daily due to breadcrumbs etc.

Apart from that I dust things like table tops etc once a week, and then run the vacuum cleaner over the floor immediately afterwards. So just once a week seems to keep everything clean. I certainly dont need to empty the cleaner bag very often.

I do notice that 90% or more of the dust is actually dead skin and hair and suchlike rather than anything that has come in from outside, and most of what has come from outside seems to come in on my shoes and clothes.

My balcony stays mostly quite clean as there is usually a breeze around it, though dark dust (presumably from diesel vehicle exhausts) can build up, and I think this depends on the wind direction. Edited by KittenKong

Maybe no dust but it's going to be a bitch getting out if a fire starts on the 15th floor  whistling.gif
/* off topic */
Know a guy who bought mountaineering style of rope, length to go from his condo (16th floor) to ground, rappeling kits for him, wife and son, plus one strong hook anchored in the wall. Tought wife and son how to use the stuff in an emergency and now sleeps well.

Know a guy who bought mountaineering style of rope, length to go from his condo (16th floor) to ground, rappeling kits for him, wife and son, plus one strong hook anchored in the wall. Tought wife and son how to use the stuff in an emergency and now sleeps well.

He didn't consider just using the stairs then? Odd.

Humm... I live at a 15th floor and have exactly the same problem as the OP.

Part of the reason may be that I have doors and windows open more than 12 hours a day;
Advantage: That bring me fresh (?) air and I rarely need aircon during the day
Drawback: This flow of air bring dust...

Only solution I found: regular cleaning

I quite like the dust. Whenever I discover a piece of table where a lot of dust has accumulated, perhaps behind a lamp or the like, I might draw a little pattern in the dust. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust and all that.

• Like 2

He didn't consider just using the stairs then? Odd.

I guess my friend didn't trust the accessability of stairwells and them being free of obstructions, and the emergency exit unblocked and unlocked.

This was a decade ago, shortly after a couple of nasty desasters in mind. Possibly some better safety enforcement since then, and a handful of further fires.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm suprise that people need help to understand that they should clean their home daily to get rid of the dust ? Do you really stay with girlfriends or boyfriends who do not even know how to clean properly ?

Do you get dust in your rasta hair, plenty of static i would imagine.No washing so thats ok hahahahhaha