Disabled have pension too young retirement visa

So... I can't live in Thailand anymore because I am not old enough for a retirement visa, have a healthy pension (more than B75k/mo), married to a Philipina, and can't go to school due to disabilities. Am I understanding the new rules correctly?

Also, my wife's 2 entry expires in 3 mo... sounds like she can't just get another one?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the face of it, I think you're right ... about Thailand not welcoming you anymore.

I don't think you're wealthy enough for the Malaysia program.

Cambodia lacks great medical care and probably when they have it, they'll tighten up their very liberal "business visa" scheme.

Kind of radical, but maybe Ecuador?

I believe your pension will qualify for a pension based visa and I think probably your wife can piggyback on that (check it out).

Short path to permanent residence and even a second passport if you wish.

• Like 1

Cambodia lacks great medical care and probably when they have it, they'll tighten up their very liberal "business visa" scheme.

Good ideas Jingthing,

The Malaysia second home is not the only option for Malaysia. I get a 90 day entry without a visa there. I'm sure if the OP spent part of the year there it would clear his in-out history here in Thailand.

Cambodia definitely lacks the medical care, that's why I thought of Koh Kong, it's very close to Trat which has Thai hospitals doing a booming business with Cambodian customers. Don't forget medical extensions of stay in Thailand are also possible if necessary.

Ecuador is not radical at all, also Panama is quite friendly. I believe Thai nationals can get 180 day admitted until there. I'm not sure about Philippine nationals.

Good ideas Jingthing,

The Malaysia second home is not the only option for Malaysia. I get a 90 day entry without a visa there. I'm sure if the OP spent part of the year there it would clear his in-out history here in Thailand.

Cambodia definitely lacks the medical care, that's why I thought of Koh Kong, it's very close to Trat which has Thai hospitals doing a booming business with Cambodian customers. Don't forget medical extensions of stay in Thailand are also possible if necessary.

Ecuador is not radical at all, also Panama is quite friendly. I believe Thai nationals can get 180 day admitted until there. I'm not sure about Philippine nationals.

A medical extension would only be granted if a doctor certified that he was too ill to travel and would not provide a long term option even if granted once.

It seems the O/P pretty much asked the same question before http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/731151-what-is-the-correct-visa-in-my-situation/#entry7918970

... and received some suggestions. Unfortunately it's unlikely any new options have come up since then. If anything, the options have become fewer or less likely since when you asked the question in June.

If nothing is possible in Thailand you really need to consider some place else to live that has what you want or need and fits your budget.

Good ideas Jingthing,

A medical extension would only be granted if a doctor certified that he was too ill to travel and would not provide a long term option even if granted once.

It seems the O/P pretty much asked the same question before http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/731151-what-is-the-correct-visa-in-my-situation/#entry7918970

... and received some suggestions. Unfortunately it's unlikely any new options have come up since then. If anything, the options have become fewer or less likely since when you asked the question in June.

If nothing is possible in Thailand you really need to consider some place else to live that has what you want or need and fits your budget.

Google Ecuador and check out Loja, Ecuador also. High altitude, good climate, it's OK. Cheap as here, easy visa, no 90 day check-ins, and I heard you can get an Ecuadorian Passport after 3 years there. Spanish is not so hard. Your Filipina probably can speak it, or a lot of it?

Good ideas Jingthing,

Not a long term option, but maybe necessary if hospitalized.

I re-reread the OP and and agree with you. I don't see any other options. He should look into the suggestion of piggy backing off of his wife's ED-visa.

Wow... fall asleep and many great people gave great advice!

1) I like the ammo of a TT3 form from bank and embassy affidavit of income. That may smooth things over.

2) Where can I get the info on wife going to school and me as dependent? She would love Thai school or the B.A. program at Thongsook College. We don't have to both go to school? I read there are some schools that are only 2-4hr per week and I could probably do that, but may risk my disability pension when USA sees it in my passport.

3) We love the quiet and peace of Laos, but buying 3 months of medicine at a time is not likely for us. Vientiane is an easy train ride to Bangkok where all of the meds are available. Could we be tourists once a month to Thailand to buy medicine that way? I know Laos has cheap meds, but the likelihood of them having these outside a hospital is slim, where in BKK I just go to SE Pharmacy where the manager has gone out of his way to stock EVERYTHING at great generic prices.

4) No way will I go back to USA if I can at all help it

5) South America sounds cool, but, really, I love Thailand. I just need 6.5 years to retirement.

6) Time for a legalized mia noi :) but that does not help my Pinoy wife haha.

7) Malaysia... maybe. We will read up on it. Again, meds at low cost are the huge issue and lifestyle is 2nd where Thailand is 1000% perfect for both

8) Elite card... Sounds like a payment of 500k. If I had that I would buy a cheap condo.

9) multiple countries... maybe could buy enough meds for 2 mo abroad, but I like having a real home in Thailand, not hoteling all the time.

10) Time to build that cheap sail boat so have a real home and can travel to other countries! Haha. Dreaming :)

• Like 2

Oh! One more question too... My wife has used entry #2 on her tourist visa so has 3 months left. I have only used the first entry of mine as I just bought it in Viantiane. While the embassy will be happy to sell her another TV, will they let her in?

Stats: 33yo USA male, 31yo Philippines female. I lived in Thailand 27 months on border runs and 2 entry tvs then left for Phils in Dec 2012. I spent 13mo in Philippines. We came to Thailand Jan 15 2014 and used border runs until early May (for her) and early July (for me) when we respectively got 2 entry TV from vientiane. She used her second entry to enter at the same time I used my first entry.

If we tried HARD we could save up B30k for school for her by the time her 2nd entry and extension end.

Edited by SailingHome

Your could get an extension of stay as your wife's dependent if she get an extension of stay based upon attending a school. She would need to enroll in school and then get a non-ed visa. The she would apply for the extension at immigration. The after she has her extension you would have to go out for a single entry non-o in order to apply for the extension.

I in order for you to get the visa and extension you will need your marriage certificate in Thai or English. If not it would have to be translated to Thai.

• Like 2

How long have you been on SSDI? I know you can collect in Thailand but just curious how SSA does a CDR?

Also, when and how often do they send you forms?

Lots of info on this in the forums. In my case, once a year I get the "update us are you working or moved" form. I had one review after 7 years, did not return the paperwork, and according to computer no more reviews are scheduled.

Your could get an extension of stay as your wife's dependent if she get an extension of stay based upon attending a school. She would need to enroll in school and then get a non-ed visa. The she would apply for the extension at immigration. The after she has her extension you would have to go out for a single entry non-o in order to apply for the extension.

I in order for you to get the visa and extension you will need your marriage certificate in Thai or English. If not it would have to be translated to Thai.

If I am understanding correctly, she would attend school 3 months, get an extenion at immigration office, THEN I could go apply for non-imm-o at outside embassy. I can not apply before her first extension?

If I am understanding correctly, she would attend school 3 months, get an extenion at immigration office, THEN I could go apply for non-imm-o at outside embassy. I can not apply before her first extension?

You could try to get the non-o it if you are with her when she applies for her non-ed but normally they will not do it until she has her extension.

• Like 1

I am also on a similar disability pension but on a retirement Visa and living with a Philipina gf who is working so I can understand your dilemma but with all the changes going on in Thailand now with border, Visa and duty crack downs even we are considering living in Chile now. Good luck with a solution mate.

• Like 2

sorry i have not read all the post's back to you but option is to purchase thai elite card which is bat thb2 mill for 20 years...

or a friend told me there is the same card for 5 years but thb500,000 which you can upgrade to at a certain stage for the balance funds..

maybe look into this if someone else hasn't mentioned this already to you...

good luck

I'd say you're out of luck and you'd better deal with that now - while you can before you or your wife get told; "No! You're not coming in."

It sounds harsh but it's the unfortunate truth and no matter how much wishing you put in - it's not going to change. It is, as other posters have said, time to look to live elsewhere. Cambodia is cheap, you can access the medicines you need cheaply and neither you nor your wife will have problems with visas. Ecuador is cheap, you should have little issue getting both of you in there too. Laos, is a pain, and I suspect it's not the perfect destination for anyone but a small handful of folks - it's an immensely frustrating nation because of the combination of Laos laidback-ness and the communist regime's bureaucracy. Malaysia is probably not an option - though medical care in Malaysia is cheap but getting a leave to stay permanently is harder there than in LoS.

You cannot "piggyback" on your wife's ED-visa if you get one in Thailand and you are unlikely to get any other form of permanent visa you can afford. I'm sorry for that - it's not fair but it is a fact. Good luck.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

its gonna be either your country or hers ...

And either one, USA or Binoi, are not to bad as long as you have regular income. The USA has virtually free medical for him and the Philippines has many advantages. I lived there for a year and consider moving there again. I don't want to stay too long in any place lest I start to think that I am at home. Never ever get married again unless.....you know.....

Ummm... yes, they are, but no for me. I have Parkinsons and the meds are unavailable there mostly and the few that are cost more than my pension. Not to mention I HAATE living there.

Any constructive ideas for staying?

Can't you just import the meds into the Phils?

I know exactly how you feel. I have my meds straight from Europe. I have no income. I am married to a Thai. BUT if I were you, I live in Cambodia. MUCH better than here and NO problems for a visa. Just pay 182 US$ a year, no documents to fill in, no questions, no picture. One stamp in your passport only.