Suthep becomes a monk

webfact

A simple case of image makeover. Just polishing the optics and priming the masses to accept him as faultless and pure. What better place to go than a forest wat. A place of serious dedication and sacrifice. It's Perfect, like presidents kissing babies.

Now if he renounced some of his wealth or made an oath to stay out of politics. He might have a bit more credibility.

• Like 1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

This is only probably going to be for a week which is the average.

It is purely for merit making.

I laugh at the accusations that he is avoiding arrest...lol

Monks are always being arrested and put through the court for prosecution.

The member who says he is on the run is the funniest comment here. On the run from what?? Trumped up murder charges that will be dropped for lack of evidence? Insurrection charges that will equally be dropped because in the end it was the military that took the power away from the government and when all the corruption is exposed will be exonerated.

On the run eh????... You do realise that 'on the run' means hidden and can't be found???

The ones 'on the run' are the pro PTP and UDD lot.

He seems old for this, wouldn't he have done this before?  Or do Thais do it more than once in their lives in some cases?

You can do it as many times as you like, twice or 3 times is not unusual.

• Like 1

Joining up with his buddy the mad monk to talk over old times?

He will be out by the end of September latest if even that long! Anyway, time to count his rewards for services rendered.

Has the monk you refer to been certified mad? 

Why do the Shin supporters insist on insulting anyone who doesn't follow the way of the fugitive criminal?

This has certainly brought out the riff-raff of the red brigade, all the would be if they could be original thinkers - actually non-thinkers who love to parrot each other with the same non-sense.  

Unfortunately yet again the Temple becomes both a metaphorical and literal refuge for those on the run from the law.

Assuming you're on the topic of Suthep having become a monk could you please explain your "literal refuge for those on the run from the law" ?

Any charges against Khun Suthep will be put "on hold" as long as he remains in the sangha.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It would be great if some on the red side were to attempt to make some merit for the deaths and injuries they caused with their shootings and grenade attacks or raise or donate some money to help the families who have suffered because of them.

Havent seen any of them show any remorse. The closest to remorse would be the one who fired the grenades that killed the children at big C. It is reported that he cried when he admitted firing the grenades and said he didn't realize they would kill anyone. Cried for himself not the dead.

What the heck, fired grenades from a moving vehicle in the general direction of protesters and never gave a thought that someone might get killed. A thought process that went no farther than pulling the trigger.

Where has Suthep shown any remorse for the violence and deaths for which he has been complicit? Just ordering police to shoot at protesters feet (Suthep's own testimony) is hardly an act of generosity or sympathy.

You really don't know do you and you don't care as long as you can have a kick without ever having to produce any proof to your statements.

When did Suthep ever order the police to shoot at the protesters, that would have to be one of your sillier posts.

You reds really are hurting that he and his team completely out thought and outmaneuvered your beloved PT and the great thinker.

The only answer they had was to attack the protesters with war weapons, and that is now in the process of being proven.

He came forward as a leader when people from all walks of life in this country (yes even the grassroots reds)  were outraged at the actions of the PT Govt over the sneaky attempts to change the amnesty bill, the constitution change to section 190 and the blatant corruption and cronyism.

And unlike the so called red leaders he was out there on the street with the people leading, eating with them, sweating with them and taking his chances with the attacks.

That he and the protesters needed guards to protect them is a sad indictment on the police who should have been doing that job, that the guards had to arm themselves for protection against those who would attack the protesters, heaps even more shame on the police and in particular those in charge who were supposed to, as the name they were given indicated (CAPO) maintaining peace and order.

The people led by Suthep and the extremely sane monk won, Thaksin lost, get over it and try to bring yourself to look forward before you are left behind with your few remaining red mates crying in your beer.

• Like 1

Does this mean that there will be no charges or prosecution while a monk ?

Correct he is hiding in the temple, 

Sanctuary !!!!

If that is correct then how come there have recently been several cases brought against monks ?

Everything from kiddy fiddling to theft from what I read in the news.

If he really wanted to hide he would have done as your great leader and absconded to the other side of the world, of course one of your other heroes Chalerm did the same, didn't he, when he was about to be investigated for unusual wealth.

If you look at Sutheps history you will see he has never run from anything, always standing up for himself and the people around him.

He seems old for this, wouldn't he have done this before?  Or do Thais do it more than once in their lives in some cases?

There is no limit to the number of times.

A theme which seems to run through many of Sutheps actions!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unfortunately yet again the Temple becomes both a metaphorical and literal refuge for those on the run from the law.

Assuming you're on the topic of Suthep having become a monk could you please explain your "literal refuge for those on the run from the law" ?

Any charges against Khun Suthep will be put "on hold" as long as he remains in the sangha.

After his week long 'holiday' complements of Gen. Prayuth, Suthep was led by soldiers to the court where he had to hear and acknowledge any charges outstanding. Following he was granted bail by the court.

The court will have set dates on which he should come to court for the cases to proceed. Not sure what dates are set though, but mostly court cases can take a while before they 'really' start.

So for some to write about 'refugee on the run' and you to suggest ulterior motives seems a wee bit of obfuscation. Especially since Thailand knows a few really criminal fugitives on the run. The name of the most notorious seems to have escaped me for the moment. Didn't his name start with a T?

A simple case of image makeover. Just polishing the optics and priming the masses to accept him as faultless and pure. What better place to go than a forest wat. A place of serious dedication and sacrifice. It's Perfect, like presidents kissing babies.

Now if he renounced some of his wealth or made an oath to stay out of politics. He might have a bit more credibility.

According to the statement filed with the NACC in December or so it seemed Suthep had 'negative' assets if I remember correctly. I'm sure he'd like to renounce some of that rolleyes.gif

theres good money to be made from donations as he found out recently ,enough to buy some raybans and a private jet

Pray elaborate on what you are trying to suggest here, assuming there is more to it than just a bit of insinuation and obfuscation.

Sanctuary !!!!

If that is correct then how come there have recently been several cases brought against monks ?

If he really wanted to hide he would have done as your great leader and absconded to the other side of the world, of course one of your other heroes Chalerm did the same, didn't he, when he was about to be investigated for unusual wealth.

If you look at Sutheps history you will see he has never run from anything, always standing up for himself and the people around him.

Not exactly, there is sanctuary from certain types of prosecution based on actions as a regular part of society once you become a monk.

Effectively its a new life and a new start affording immunity on certain types of misdeeds in the laymans "previous life"

A bit like joining the French foreign legion, new life clean slate but with a difference Thai style.

It dosnt include what we would call social criminal actions as a lay person, ie rape, murder child abuse etc but it does in other areas. Parking tickets civil actions etc 

Monks that however commit a crime as a monk have committed a crime in that role/life and are subject to prosecution but usually all that happens is they are de robed and then the system kicks in when they are a normal citizen.

Its a bit complicated and of course vague being TIT and i dont know the exact limits and rules but above is a rough outline.

As an example ( and im not saying this is the case ) had the money taken on the streets not just been used for the demos but somehow been filtered to other uses that benefit him then Suthep would probably not be touchable or able to be investigated whilst a monk because he isnt really the same person whilst a monk... or again paying back debts, foreclosure etc would probably not be collectable/ enforcable whilst as a monk just an example or two .  

Edited by englishoak

Sanctuary !!!!

Brillant observation. Hiding and telling all about it.

BTW for what is Phra Suthep actually hiding? Any court cases not acknowledged after soldiers led him to court end of May? Any dates set by court when cases filed are to proceed ?

Any other insinuations? More obfuscation? Any suggestions Phra Suthep is just as bad as that other politician turned 'hiding abroad', the chap who's name starts with S + 1 ?

Sanctuary !!!!

Not exactly, there is sanctuary from certain types of prosecution based on actions as a regular part of society once you become a monk.

Effectively its a new life and a new start affording immunity on certain types of misdeeds in the laymans "previous life"

A bit like joining the French foreign legion, new life clean slate but with a difference Thai style.

It dosnt include what we would call social criminal actions as a lay person, ie rape, murder child abuse etc but it does in other areas. Parking tickets civil actions etc 

Monks that however commit a crime as a monk have committed a crime in that role/life and are subject to prosecution but usually all that happens is they are de robed and then the system kicks in when they are a normal citizen.

Its a bit complicated and of course vague being TIT and i dont know the exact limits and rules but above is a rough outline.

As an example ( and im not saying this is the case ) had the money taken on the streets not just been used for the demos but somehow been filtered to other uses that benefit him then Suthep would probably not be touchable or able to be investigated whilst a monk because he isnt really the same person whilst a monk... or again paying back debts, foreclosure etc would probably not be collectable/ enforcable whilst as a monk just an example or two .  

As an example you seem anxious to cast doubts, a mere suggestion that something might be wrong, for example. Next we'll get 'prove I'm wrong in thinking such'

I'm amazed and to a point disgusted by all these posts which suggest or insinuate indecent motives for Suthep becoming a monk.bah.gif

Sanctuary !!!!

BTW for what is Phra Suthep actually hiding? Any court cases not acknowledged after soldiers led him to court end of May? Any dates set by court when cases filed are to proceed ?

Any other insinuations? More obfuscation? Any suggestions Phra Suthep is just as bad as that other politician turned 'hiding abroad', the chap who's name starts with S + 1 ?

OK im not sure on the details but, say hes got a court case on the go, ( i think it still is ) just like last year when he wouldnt appear it would probably be the case he cannot be made to appear whilst a monk ie things are delayed again. 

If for instance he were to remain a monk then its very likely pending cases would remain on the shelf.

Like i say im not certain but I do know more than one Thai that has become a monk to avoid pending cases and or prosecutions or simply delayed things until a more favourable time. 

Im sorry your disgusted but for me he is all about himself and his history is less than honest. You want to believe hes pios and honest up to you rolleyes.gif

Edited by englishoak

Its nothing more than a narcissistic move to gain attention.

you succeeded in your narcissism, my dear fishing 2+2. I did notice you and wonder. Maybe as a newbie you feel insecure and are seeking attention ?

Don't worry, stay with us a bit longer it that will come wink.png

• Like 1

Does anyone know when his next alms round is? I thought I might pop over and present him with a bottle of palm oil.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sanctuary !!!!

OK im not sure on the details but, say hes got a court case on the go, ( i think it still is ) just like last year when he wouldnt appear it would probably be the case he cannot be made to appear whilst a monk ie things are delayed again. 

If for instance he were to remain a monk then its very likely pending cases would remain on the shelf.

Like i say im not certain but I do know more than one Thai that has become a monk to avoid pending cases and or prosecutions or simply delayed things until a more favourable time. 

Im sorry your disgusted but for me he is all about himself and his history is less than honest. You want to believe hes pios and honest up to you rolleyes.gif

My dear English Oa... k,

the speculations here seem just an attempt to distract, nothing more, nothing less.

BTW I don't really want to discuss religion, but history shows that people can be perfectly honest being pious while  at the same time be perfectly dishonest with other things. Phra Suthep has a bit of history which makes at least some of his non-religious activities suspect.

Does anyone know when his next alms round is? I thought I might pop over and present him with a bottle of palm oil.

Blessed be those who give from the purest of motives for the benefit of those given to wai2.gif

The number of people on this forum who know nothing about Buddhism and especially Theravada Buddhism as it's practiced in Thailand is amazing to me.  And yet, they are all experts.  Here's my suggestion.  Ordain for a week, a month, whatever, then come back here and spout your insights on Buddhism.  wai.gif   Peace out.

?

Sanctuary !!!!

My dear English Oa... k,

the speculations here seem just an attempt to distract, nothing more, nothing less.

BTW I don't really want to discuss religion, but history shows that people can be perfectly honest being pious while  at the same time be perfectly dishonest with other things. Phra Suthep has a bit of history which makes at least some of his non-religious activities suspect.

Purpose of this forum is so people can comment, distract from what exactly rubi that there are many reasons to ordain and for benefits other than spiritual. Why is that not allowed to be speculated on ?

BTW why are you calling him Phra Suthep ? that is not who he is now

He has a new name which is....... Phra Pa Karro  ( best translation i can do ) easy to verify if you want.

My dear English Oa... k,

Purpose of this forum is so people can comment, distract from what exactly rubi that there are many reasons to ordain and for benefits other than spiritual. Why is that not allowed to be speculated on ?

BTW why are you calling him Phra Suthep ? that is not who he is now

He has a new name which is....... Phra Pa Karro  ( best translation i can do ) easy to verify if you want.

fair questions deserve a fair answer thumbsup.gif

- somehow all speculation why k. Suthep ordained seem to concentrate on negative aspects, mainly suggesting a 'hiding from the law, 'seeking sanctuary from the law', etc.

- Don't know why it's not allowed to be speculated on.

- I called k. Suthep Phra Suthep because his ordain name had escaped me.

- don't be so suspicious, of course I believe you when you write his ordain name is something or another. I think it close to "PrapaKaro" and seems to mean "the one with the enlightened mind". Note the BangkokPost also mentions that his wife was said to be surprised like most people as she had no idea of Suthep's plans to enter monkhood.

Well I have an update for you, according to his lawyer he will be attending court hearings of ongoing cases.

At least thats the current statement, which will make me a happy chap found guilty or innocent. We shall see.

As to his wife being unaware ? well that might seem a surprise, then again TIT and the head of the family often goes off and does what they want without talking to or discussing things with the family first.  rolleyes.gif

I just told my wife: she laughed. Maybe he doesn't want to get audited?

But, a very strange turn in events? Why?

Your wife is pretty sharp. You should listen to more of her and think less. The point is it is NOT strange. It is common, even de rigeur for politicians and other tainted people to become monks. Common. The exact reason they do it is probably just another lie, but it is definitely a cultural thing to "look at your sins" with a period of meditation and quiet (and, supposedly, humility) under the instruction in a wat.

Women also go to the temple - it is something like this, but the nuance is different. Women who do this almost always seem to actually feel guilt, contrition and seek redemption or self-awareness.

These men of politics and government, however, go because they can, because it looks good on their CVs, because it pays for another portion of the ticket both to a good reincarnation AND back to their old and profitable ways. Some - and we never will know how few - feel true feelings of religion and repentance, I've seen this myself, no names. But generally it's just a feel-good look-good thing.

But whatever the motive it is NOT strange and it is NOT a turn of events. Suthep will emerge from the wat, proclaim he is a better man and go right back to it. It is not a life-altering experience, and it won't alter his life. He's taking a break. As do most Thai males in their lifetime.

And which lucky temple got to take Thaksin in ?  Or is he in "self exile", as opposed to being on the run from the law ?  

I'm pretty sure Thaksin has not been a monk. Maybe when he reaches Suthep's age he will. I'm pretty sure there are two, three temples outside Thailand.

Thanks for the heads up Wanda. Yeah my wife is on the ball.

No its not thinking too much as you have helped that, and I can understand his action now. Its just something I would not have done for that purpose as it sounds really vain.

Then again the General may have told too cool his heals for a while.

Suthep may come back as a saint?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

theres good money to be made from donations as he found out recently ,enough to buy some raybans and a private jet

Pray elaborate on what you are trying to suggest here, assuming there is more to it than just a bit of insinuation and obfuscation.

what happened to all the donated money and did he submit accounts and account for every baht ?

monk nengham never accounted for all his wealth

and is still on the run ,likewise suthep is on the run in a temple to escape the lawman 

• Like 1

AFTERMATH
Monk Suthep does his first round with alms bowl

THE NATION 

SURAT THANI: -- Leader of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) Suthep Thaugsuban gave local residents a surprise when he joined monks from a local temple on their morning alms-collection round in Surat Thani.

It was Suthep's first day with an alms bowl after being ordained as a Buddhist monk at Wat Tha Sai in his home province of Surat Thani on Tuesday. Suthep accompanied two other monks from Wat Suan Mokkhabalaram on their morning alms round.

His arrival surprised local people who were waiting to give alms to the monks. Panaya Songsamorn, who was the first to offer alms to Suthep, said it was a daily practice for her to give alms to local monks every day. She said she did not know that Suthep was going on his morning alms round.

She said she was glad to be the first one to give alms to Suthep.

Suthep was ordained as a Buddhist monk at Wat Tha Sai in his home province of Surat Thani on Tuesday.

Suthep will be staying at the Suan Mokkh forest monastery in the same province. He has yet to reveal when he will leave monkhood.

The former Democrat Party secretary general, Suthep led a seven-month campaign to overthrow the elected government of prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

The PDRC's street protests and seizure of government offices, |as well as violent retaliations using weapons of war that resulted |in many deaths and injuries, were finally brought to an end when |the military seized power on |May 22.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Monk-Suthep-does-his-first-round-with-alms-bowl-30238688.html

[thenation]2014-07-17[/thenation]