Interrupting a school year for 6 months.

I have a UK passport and have the possibility of doing a house swap for 6 months (tourist visa for my wife) around 2017. Our brat will be 13 years old then and I am thinking about seizing the opportunity to get her speaking and learning English a lot better than she is likely to be if she stays here. I would also be visiting my home country for the first time in 16 years.

What would be the consequences at the school she is attending, would she start the missing school year again? What about timing, miss the first half of the school year or the second half?

This may sound like a naive question. It is. Thanks for any remarks or advice.

I have had a couple of students who spent time in Europe but didn't complete a full year of schooling there...

They had to repeat the grade in Thailand. However, if they can produce transcripts showing a complete year of schooling abroad, they should be able to skip that year in their Thai school.

• Like 2

I have had a couple of students who spent time in Europe but didn't complete a full year of schooling there...

They had to repeat the grade in Thailand. However, if they can produce transcripts showing a complete year of schooling abroad, they should be able to skip that year in their Thai school.

Thanks. For various reasons, we can't get more than a 6 month tourist visa.

We have had students who have gone to school overseas and they were required to repeat the grade in Thailand, if they had not completed it in the foreign country.

In one case, a young girl (3rd grade) went to Finland for nearly the whole school year, but returned to Thailand. The School made her repeat the entire grade. Very sad as she was one of the brightest students in the grade and Finland has the highest PISA test results in the world!

Apparently, Thailand believes that they have an educational system which is superior to many western countries.

We have had students who have gone to school overseas and they were required to repeat the grade in Thailand, if they had not completed it in the foreign country.

In one case, a young girl (3rd grade) went to Finland for nearly the whole school year, but returned to Thailand. The School made her repeat the entire grade. Very sad as she was one of the brightest students in the grade and Finland has the highest PISA test results in the world!

Apparently, Thailand believes that they have an educational system which is superior to many western countries.

"Apparently, Thailand believes that they have an educational system which is superior to many western countries."

Duh. cheesy.gif Everything in Thailand is superior to Western countries. tongue.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have seen many high school students complete 1 school year overseas and move to the next grade.

I also have 2 very smart girls went overseas for grade 10 but are repeating grade 10 because to study to be a vetanarian in Thailand you need the advanced science classes only available in Thailand.

I teach very basic pythagorean theorem and sin, cos, tan and the students struggle.

The Thai teacher is writing complex trigonometric identities on the board for the students to copy and memorize with no clue how to use the formula or deviate in the slightest from what they copied.

They reach a higher level of math and science being presented with microscopic understanding of the concepts.