How many people do you know in Phuket who are stuffed due to visa situation?

KarenBravo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<snip>

What is the tax on earning 50,000 baht a month in Thailand?

I can answer that - about 1,500 baht/month give or take a few baht. I speak with personal experience of my tax bill.

Nice. I pay between 15%-20% each month.

Well, 15% to 20% of not much, is not much. :)

Real figures would be nice.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Oceanbat

What, exactly, are you questioning?

I suggested a visa class that pays income tax rates on 50,000 baht per month, despite the foreigner not gaining Thai residency, plus a little for a visa fee.

I thought that fair. They would still have to pay their own medical etc.

If you do not, I'm happy to hear your reasons.

My apologies I misread your post.

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

@ Oceanbat

I suggested a visa class that pays income tax rates on 50,000 baht per month, despite the foreigner not gaining Thai residency, plus a little for a visa fee.

OB

No need for apoligies.

You live here, work here, earn here and pay tax here.

I was talking about people that work abroad, earn abroad, are paid their salary abroad, but come to Thailand in between shift rotations and/or contracts.

Sure, they should pay something to contribute to society, which I am sure they can, and are willing to do, myself included, but there is no way in which they can currently do so.

It would actually earn more money than the retirement visas, banking investment aside.

I really don't see the problem the Thai Government has with such a visa class.

@ Oceanbat

OB

No need for apoligies.

You live here, work here, earn here and pay tax here.

I was talking about people that work abroad, earn abroad, are paid their salary abroad, but come to Thailand in between shift rotations and/or contracts.

Sure, they should pay something to contribute to society, which I am sure they can, and are willing to do, myself included, but there is no way in which they can currently do so.

It would actually earn more money than the retirement visas, banking investment aside.

I really don't see the problem the Thai Government has with such a visa class.

For someone who apparently does not live here on a legal visa, as currently defined, you sure like to talk about what should be, rather than what the current reality is… I think you're one of those who may be stuffed!

Just an idea,

With the volunteers here on this forum that work within immigration , would it be a fair comment to offer a meeting between them that have a little insight to the goings on to meet up with other TV members and discuss the issues .

For sure there are people that post here facing a dilemma and others that actually may be able to help.

Im pretty certain it would be helpfull to all that are in this position , and hey could get a few members together that are not just keyboard warriors.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You hit the bull's eye, Nathan (That's how I interpret your name). Maybe extend the invitation to the Immigration office, they might send one or two officers, very likely they are fed up with the situation also, having to argue with foreigners all the time.

Sure there are people in trouble now, and others who seem to be safe for the moment, might be wondering what the future holds.

I don't work here, so you will have to help me out.

No but you obviously have some form of income. So are you try to evade taxes?

About 17,000 a month, I believe. Might be 16,000.

Why wouldn't a hypothetical "WALT visa" holder pay 12 x "X income tax" for the year, and some visa fees. Why would they pay 50,000 baht x 12 = 600,000 baht.

They would pay 20,000 a month just like guys that work here. 20,000 x 12 is 240,000.

They do not earn here, so why should they pay income tax?

They should pay tax just like in any other country because they are using infrastructure and services provided by the government. Not paying tax is akin to tax evasion which is illegal in most countries.

I agree they should pay a visa fee, or a form of contribution to fund infastructure they are using, but why should they pay the equivalent of income tax, especially when they are outside of Thailand quite a lot.

That so called visa fee of 20,000/a year proposed will not cover the infrastructure etc.

Also, I don't understand this part of your post, "plus whatever the fees are for visa extension and work permit renewal" - there is no work permit to purchase.

Currently if you work here you need a work permit, So it is just to make it on par with guys who live and work here.

These people work abroad, but on their time off, they holiday/live in Thailand. They work for a foreign entity, not a Thai Company, therefore, no work permit needed for Thailand.

So say 3 weeks here then gone for X weeks so If they holiday here then they only need a tourist visa which they can get in any country outside Thailand, or visa on arrival at the airport. (built with government money). Then no need for a new style visa like the proposed WALT. But if they If they "reside" here. Condo/House , car etc. then..

Also they are free to "holiday" anywhere. Why here?

Edited by VocalNeal

I don't work here, so you will have to help me out.

No but you obviously have some form of income. So are you try to evade taxes?

About 17,000 a month, I believe. Might be 16,000.

Why wouldn't a hypothetical "WALT visa" holder pay 12 x "X income tax" for the year, and some visa fees. Why would they pay 50,000 baht x 12 = 600,000 baht.

They would pay 20,000 a month just like guys that work here. 20,000 x 12 is 240,000.

They do not earn here, so why should they pay income tax?

They should pay tax just like in any other country because they are using infrastructure and services provided by the government. Not paying tax is akin to tax evasion which is illegal in most countries.

I agree they should pay a visa fee, or a form of contribution to fund infastructure they are using, but why should they pay the equivalent of income tax, especially when they are outside of Thailand quite a lot.

That so called visa fee of 20,000/a year proposed will not cover the infrastructure etc.

Also, I don't understand this part of your post, "plus whatever the fees are for visa extension and work permit renewal" - there is no work permit to purchase.

Currently if you work here you need a work permit, So it is just to make it on par with guys who live and work here.

These people work abroad, but on their time off, they holiday/live in Thailand. They work for a foreign entity, not a Thai Company, therefore, no work permit needed for Thailand.

So say 3 weeks here then gone for X weeks so If they holiday here then they only need a tourist visa which they can get in any country outside Thailand, or visa on arrival at the airport. (built with government money). Then no need for a new style visa like the proposed WALT. But if they If they "reside" here. Condo/House , car etc. then..

Also they are free to "holiday" anywhere. Why here?

I just don't know where to start with this misinformation ..

The income tax on a 50,000 baht/month salary in Thailand is about 1,600 baht/month.

Therefore the rest of you hypothesis is completely all wrong.

Instead of your per month figures, maybe you mean per year ?

"The income tax on a 50,000 baht/month salary in Thailand is about 1,600 baht/month."

You missed a zero on that tax right?

No - why do you think that ? It's a 10% tax rate (not sure what level the top 20% rate kicks in) and there are various allowances/deductables. To be honest I can never figure out how that tax office computes my tax payment as they always come up with a lower figure than I compute. Every year I always end up with a tax rebate cheque. I guess I don't know all the allowances I am entitled to.

"The income tax on a 50,000 baht/month salary in Thailand is about 1,600 baht/month."

No - why do you think that ? It's a 10% tax rate (not sure what level the top 20% rate kicks in) and there are various allowances/deductables. To be honest I can never figure out how that tax office computes my tax payment as they always come up with a lower figure than I compute. Every year I always end up with a tax rebate cheque. I guess I don't know all the allowances I am entitled to.

Hmmmmm........o.k., well for beginners 10% of 50,000 is 5,000. From what I understand from the accounting people that take care of my situation the per month tax is calculated for payment on the complete years income. Depending on the bracket you're in the income tax can be as high as 30%.

So LIK, I will politely disagree with the " It's a 10% tax rate ", my understanding (and I could be wrong,has happened before) is that the percentage will vary depending on how much you earn here in the tax year.

Lots of misunderstandings about this apparently. On my 50.000 Baht salary I am paying 1909 Baht per month income tax presently. Up to a certain level you are not taxed at all (like on a 9000 Baht per month salary). Once a year I have to pay a balance of at the most a few hundred on top of that. As far as calculating the income tax is concerned, it also makes a difference if you are married or not.

The income tax on a 50,000 baht/month salary in Thailand is about 1,600 baht/month.

It's substantially more than that! I earn around 65,000 a month and pay between 8-9,000 tax each month.

What's tax got to do with this thread?

I think it was within the context of those using 'perennial' tourist visas to gain permanent residence, working here without a WP, and thus avoiding Thai income tax.

It's substantially more than that! I earn around 65,000 a month and pay between 8-9,000 tax each month.

According to the table from the link that I posted, you should be paying 71,000/year, 5916/month (based on your 780,000 annual salary). Perhaps you're paying social security also, which of course would add to the deductions.

Edited by pagallim

Just pasted this from this: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html Tried to cut/paste the actual table, but it didn't work.

Thanks for that pag. I always knew it was a complex calaculation. To be honest I knew there were various allowances but I had not appreciated the complexity of it all or the graduated tax rates. Now I am understanding why I always show an overpay amount each year.

According to the table from the link that I posted, you should be paying 71,000/year, 5916/month (based on your 780,000 annual salary). Perhaps you're paying social security also, which of course would add to the deductions.

Social security would be 5% on income for employee contribution, so add another 3,250 baht = 9,166 baht/month.

Still a very long way away from the OP's quoted 17,000 baht/month on a 50,000 baht/month income.

What's tax got to do with this thread?

Well it has to do with the suggested WALT visa (post#40) So my post about the taxes was based on the "other" way to get a visa and that is opening a company, employing 3-5 locals and applying for a work permit. So to make it on par with that...

Maybe then someone can correct me. If one starts a business one of the requirements is that you have to pay tax a minimum of something like 17,000 baht a month income tax?

If people are here on a work permit are working for a company they do not own and on a PAYE basis then it is obviously different. People already living and working here, already pay their tax.

Edited by VocalNeal

I didn't intend this thread to be like the others on Thaivisa, ways and means to stay legal. The personal opinions on the creackdown, or, hypothetical visas that are not going to come into existence.

I wanted to know how many regular posters know someone seriously affected by the changes to get some idea of how wide-spread the effects were going to be, or, if it wasn't going to affect the regulars and their acquaintances much.

I've seen LiK delete posts that went less off track than most of the posts so far on this thread.

Will let you know when I arrive on my 30 day stamp on Aug 13 or 14....

Condidering i was assured by an immigration official at Phuket airport when I departed he assured me i would have no problems entering at that time. So far I have heard NO factual information of anybody being turned away with a 30 day stamp with correct documents in hand to enjoy a 28 day vacation in Thailand...I am not an in/out visa runner or expat working in Thailand. Just a frequent visitor to Thaland 4 OR 5 MONTHS a year all legit according to the rules....If rules change its easy to go get what ever visa they want me to get....but i confident I will pass thru Phuket immigration same as always...Sawadee Caaap

• Like 1

Most of the people I know are on retirement visas, or business visas.

A few offshore workers that use visa exemption stamps are a bit worried, but, I don't think they'll have any problems.

All very well to tell these oil workers to get tourist visas, but, most of the places they fly from don't have a Thai embassy. Also, most counties when getting off a ship or, rig allow you only three days before having to leave.

The visa exempt will give you 37 days with extension which is enough for most people.

I think the people that are most going to be affected here is dive masters and English teachers. Maybe a bunch of Russians in the property sales business. Also, all the illegal guides which is what this enforcement of the rules is designed for.

• Like 2

<snip>

I think the people that are most going to be affected here is dive masters and English teachers. Maybe a bunch of Russians in the property sales business. Also, all the illegal guides which is what this enforcement of the rules is designed for.

I might add some of those who work over the internet. Anyone without a return ticket out of the country upon entry and doesn't have a non-immigrant visa from what I've read would be affected. Which I believe was always the law.

I didn't mean to derail this thread into a discussion about taxes.

The whole "Work Abroad Live Thailand" (WALT) visa was a hypothetical visa class that I thought up off the top of my head.

There would defininately be a market for a visa such as this. The fee for such a visa would be a good earner for Thailand, and keep many here on a legitimate Thai visa, instead of tourist visas and/or 30 day visa exemption stamps.

I must say, that I am surprised that many of you working here pay different amounts of tax. Perhaps a topic for another thread some day.

Anyway, back on topic, KB, I believe I may be effected by the visa crack down. I am under 50 years of age, self funded and single.

I admit I am living here on tourist visas, only because there is no proper visa for my circumstances. I can easily meet all the criteria for a retirement visa, except for being 50 years of age. None the less, I am the target of this crack down.

I am not due for a visa run for a while. Well, I hope I can still pay the 1900 baht for the 1 month extensions - I must look into that, as they may not be issuing those extensions either.

It may be the case I am not allowed back into Thailand, if so, for how long, who knows?

I think I will be ok, but will not know until the time comes.

I have a friend here in a similar situation to myself. We may both be shut out of Thailand for a while. We have discussed strategies and constantly monitor the situation.

Why don't you go to immigration, lay it all out and see what they say?

People like you are not who they are trying to target.

I'm pretty sure that if you show proof of money (like I did), you can get a one year multiple entry Non-Imm O.

The only difference between you and me, is that I will extend it for retirement and you can get another one.

It's certainly worth looking into.

When I showed funding, they offered me a year instead of the three months I was seeking.

Why don't you go to immigration, lay it all out and see what they say?

People like you are not who they are trying to target.

I'm pretty sure that if you show proof of money (like I did), you can get a one year multiple entry Non-Imm O.

The only difference between you and me, is that I will extend it for retirement and you can get another one.

It's certainly worth looking into.

When I showed funding, they offered me a year instead of the three months I was seeking.

Well, the last time I looked at the long list of the many Thai visas, I didn't meet the criteria for any of them. The below links are the lists.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/44

This link is for the Non-Imm visas. I don't meet the requirements for any of them.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Don't you need to be over 50 years of age for the Non-Imm O visa, based on retirement?

I did mention in another post there would be colateral damage in the crack down. I guess that's me.

Edited by NamKangMan

NO country, especially a developing one wants foreigners that are not contributing taxes. Supporting prostitutes does not count as that income is not taxed, nor is the pimp's collecting that bar-fine.

There seems to be a lot of self entitlement issues coming to light under this latest crackdown- one has a right to spend money here. Well no, you don't. Seems to be all based in having access to sex, frankly. Does Thailand really want to be global hub for sexpats, " horny young guys"? (usually not so young...) Maybe not any longer.

As I have played by the rules since day one, always having a B visa, always paying correct taxes, I have grown to resent those who didn't and got away with it year after year. They have enabled and benefited from this system of ignoring laws and rules. I cannot see how they can now expect sympathy.

I wish they would crackdown on the Education " study" visa holders who are working P/T teaching English at sub standard wages-they are supposed to be studying, not teaching. Not only do they not pay taxes but spend as little as possible. Genuine, diploma'd accredited teachers face a diminished job market and less attractive benefits because of them.

IMO The rest of us face myriad petty scams like charging for residency certificates because these visa cheats are too afraid to stand for their rights.

"NO country, especially a developing one wants foreigners that are not contributing taxes." - what taxes should the millions of retirees here pay?

They are not working - they are retired. Are you suggesting "No country" wants them? biggrin.png

I am under the impression retirees ( doubt there are millions however,) must keep monies in a Thai Bank account, and that interest is taxed. Retirees that live under a pension plan, I suppose would be the exception to my rule or does Thailand tax that income?

Shall we expect some changes, soon re the retiree visa?