78-year-old Aussie arrested at Hong Kong Airport over suitcase of suspected Crystal Meth

webfact

Elderly Melbourne man arrested at Hong Kong Airport over suitcase of suspected methamphetamine

MELBOURNE: -- An elderly Melbourne man has been arrested at Hong Kong International Airport after customs officers uncovered more than 2.3 kilograms of suspected methamphetamine in a suitcase.

The 78-year-old man has been charged with one count of trafficking and faces life imprisonment and fines of up to $5 million under Hong Kong’s strict drug laws.

A Hong Kong Customs spokeswoman said the seized methamphetamine had a market value of almost $1 million and were concealed in the false compartments of seven handbags inside a check-in suitcase.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/elderly-melbourne-man-arrested-at-hong-kong-airport-over-suitcase-of-suspected-methamphetamine-20140717-ztzjd.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-07-17

the article doesn't mention his ethnicity but I would presume it to be Asian if he was flying out of Hong Kong.

All Europeans over 75yrs must use land or seaport to leave HK. Most likely Asian...what about Africans!!

if at 78yo you have to do that to make a living there is a problem somewhere ... coffee1.gif

Maybe this was a supplement to ad on his meager Aussie pension,,,,,but his action was not smart,,,, Pensioner driven to crime to pay the Bills :((

Why do you guys think he is guilty without a trial.

Come on guys, not everybody who gets arrested is guilty as charged,

There are a lot of scenarios possible here. Especially with an elderly person.

Edited by ikbenhet
  • Like 1

So many redneck mother f's on TV these days. About 90% in the political posts. A shame. TV was middle of the road 7/8 years ago. I'm about to get flamed !! Go for it rednecks.

the article doesn't mention his ethnicity but I would presume it to be Asian if he was flying out of Hong Kong.

All Europeans over 75yrs must use land or seaport to leave HK. Most likely Asian...what about Africans!!

I do not know where you got that idea. A person can travel at any age by air. If it is on a US flight number plane he cannot even be asked for a medical certificate. If the airline desides he could not help himself in an emergency they must provide someone to help him in that free,.,,or allow him to take a companion free.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would that matter to you or others?

Why would it matter....AND...why would you presume him to be Asian? Hong Kong was a British Colony until the handover in 1997. Many gweilos there!

• 1 month later...

I don't know that there are more 'red necks' on the forum, but I think we live in more troubling times and people's patience have grown a little thin for the perceived misdeeds of our fellow men. There's been just a few too many:

-- boats full of people headed to Europe and to Australia to show much compassion for genuine refugees.

-- rapes and murders of young people to protest the death penalty.

--a few too many little M.E. and former Soviet aligned countries fighting with one another to care much about the civilian deaths.

--a few too many people caught with drugs to ensure we want fair and transparent legal processes.

No more red necks but a few posters are getting a little jaded.

My opinion only.

Agreed Scott. But still a great song.

So many redneck mother f's on TV these days. About 90% in the political posts. A shame. TV was middle of the road 7/8 years ago. I'm about to get flamed !! Go for it rednecks.

That isn't exactly true. There are a fair number of men on this site who are "Tiptoeing Through the Tulips" with Tiny Tim. God Bless the rednecks. Nice song, thanks for sharing :-)