Retirement visa for offshore worker?

I am working in the offshore industry (West Africa) and have based myself in Thailand since 2008. My rotation is 60 days on 60 off but can sometimes vary and be longer. I use the word base rather than live as during my leave time I enter the country using visa exemption, stay a few weeks and then go on to a different country in the region for a few weeks holiday/trip and return. I have rented a house or condo for the last 7 years which I use more as a store for my stuff rather than home as I'm definitely over the course of a year out of Thailand more than in. I have never overstayed and never do visa runs as such.

I am somewhat concerned as to whether I'll be able to continue doing this after reading many of the posts on this forum regarding visa exemption. As all can imagine my passport is peppered with visa exemption stamps so getting even a tourist visa might be tricky.
Having recently turned 50 I’ve been thinking of applying for a retirement visa. So, my question is, would I still be able to work in offshore at the same time as maintaining visa. I’m wondering if questions would be asked due to the frequency of my absence.
I know I know its probably bending the rules a little but I believe the visa crackdown is aimed at those who stay and work illegally unlike a large proportion of us who are regular visitors adding considerably to the economy.
Finally, regarding a thread I saw yesterday, I think it unlikely immigration are likely to turn away individuals at airport unless for a good reason. As far as I’m aware airlines have to bear the cost of deportation and generally won’t allow individuals to travel if not in possession of correct documents to travel. I think if crackdown on visa exemption / tourist visas does happen we will hear reports of if happening at point of embarkation.

I think it will be perfectly fine for you to stay in Thailand on retirement extensions. Be sure to purchase a multiple entry reentry permit. Even if questioned (doubtful) you are within the law working OUTSIDE of Thailand. You only can't work IN Thailand. One caveat ... you will need to be in Thailand during the time period before each annual new annual retirement extensions. Otherwise, you'll need to start over.

• Like 1

To begin with the annual retirement extension system in Thailand, you FIRST need an O visa in your passport.

Not a retirement visa, just an O visa ... purpose to qualify for retirement extensions in Thailand.

This can be obtained in a neighboring country (Laos or Malaysia) or you can do a change of status from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa at SOME Thai immigration offices.

The second step is the first retirement extension.

For the first annual extension using the 800K in Thai bank method, the money needs to be seasoned for two months, three months for the later extensions.

Other option, get an O-A ("Long Stay") visa but only from your home country. Assume you want to start this closer to Thailand, so if you need more info about O-A please search the forum and then ask any questions if you have them.

Edited by Jingthing

If you are currently in the country on a visa exmpt enrty and have at least 15 days on your current permission to stay, you can convert the entry to a Non-O, required for retirement extensions, at immigration for 2000 baht. You must meet the financial requirements. You can then extend the 90 days that they will give for another year. cost 1900 baht. To meet your travel requirements, for working, you would have to purchase a multiple entry re-entry permit, cost 3800 baht. Some offices will do the conversion and extension at the same visit, others will make you come back during the last 30 days of the initial 90 day permission to stay. I think that it'sthe best option for you.

To begin with the annual retirement extension system in Thailand, you FIRST need an O visa in your passport.

Not a retirement visa, just an O visa ... purpose to qualify for retirement extensions in Thailand.

This can be obtained in a neighboring country (Laos or Malaysia) or you can do a change of status from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa at SOME Thai immigration offices.

For the first annual extension using the 800K in Thai bank method, the money needs to be seasoned for two months, three months for the later extensions.

Other option, get an O-A ("Long Stay") visa but only from your home country. Assume you want to start this closer to Thailand, so if you need more info about O-A please search the forum and then ask any questions if you have them.

He will not gain anything with the O-A visa compared to the O multi visa. Only if you like to stay longer than 90 days you will gain anything. And it's a lot more difficult to get.

Extension of stay based on over 50 is the best option

Edited by larsjohnsson

If applying for retirement visa within Thailand is it a fairly straight forward process? Im currently offshore until October so was thinking of going somewhere to obtain a multiple entry tourist visa and then entering Thailand and applying. I can transfer funds and have other required paperwork ready for then.

It is an extension of stay based upon retirement not a visa.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or proof of an income of 65k baht income proven by a income letter from your embassy or a combination of the 2 to reach a total of 800k baht.

You could do a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry from a 30 day visa entry but you would only have 15 days to do it from the date you enter. You would need to show the financial proof to do it. Then you would apply for the extension 45 days after you get the entry.

You would need a multiple re-entry permit after you get the extension (3800 baht).

If applying for retirement visa within Thailand is it a fairly straight forward process? Im currently offshore until October so was thinking of going somewhere to obtain a multiple entry tourist visa and then entering Thailand and applying. I can transfer funds and have other required paperwork ready for then.

Get a non-O visa direct instead.

Wanted to ask this question before but not daring enough to start a new thread, so obviously one does not have to be actually "retired" to qualify for an exemption

of stay based on retirement. I was planning on doing this in 3.5 years, but continuing to work overseas.

Wanted to ask this question before but not daring enough to start a new thread, so obviously one does not have to be actually "retired" to qualify for an exemption

of stay based on retirement. I was planning on doing this in 3.5 years, but continuing to work overseas.

That's right. You don't. Just not working for money in Thailand.

He will not gain anything with the O-A visa compared to the O multi visa. Only if you like to stay longer than 90 days you will gain anything. And it's a lot more difficult to get.

Extension of stay based on over 50 is the best option

Agreed this is a case where I doubt an O-A visa would be advisable. But I mentioned it as it is another path ... as someone was probably going to mention it anyway in the context of the never ending confusion about "retirement visa" terminology.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm in a similar situation and thanks for the good info.

Over 50 currently on a non O multi expiring in November (+3 months if I do a border run before it expires? )

I work away 4-6 months a year but close to retiring (pending investment performance)

I would have no problem putting 800k in the bank here (apart from it just sitting there)

I guess retirement visa with multi re entry permit is the best option for me?

TBH getting the non O's while away at work have not been easy with travelling and paying for hotels etc.

OK, I have a question about this.

To qualify for retirement extensions in general, you can use Thai bank account, income, or combination.

Obviously claiming income made in Thailand would be a problem, but is there any reason an oil worker could not use the income from that work, which occurs outside Thailand?
There is nothing in the rules specifying PENSION income only.

My impression is this income COULD be used.

But don't take that as the last word.

Hopefully, one of the super gurus will comment on that.

To qualify for retirement extensions in general, you can use Thai bank account, income, or combination

Obviously claiming income made in Thailand would be a problem, but is there any reason an oil worker could not use the income from that work, which occurs outside Thailand?

If income comes from outside Thailand I'm wondering if it matters at all where it comes from.

I do know there is nothing in the written rules that the income can't come from work. The way it works is you go to your embassy to get an income letter. The embassies vary in what documentation they require. Some embassies just take your word. Would all embassies accept the inclusion the outside work income (those that require documentation)? I don't know about that. Then you get a letter you use for Thai immigration. There is nothing on the letter saying where the income comes from. The officer has the right to ask for further details about the income claimed on the letter. Then perhaps it would get interesting if they were told from offshore work. I still think that would be OK, but just my impression, don't take it as an authoritative opinion.

Edited by Jingthing

The US income affidavit states:

"I also affirm that I receive USD $________________every month from the United States Government and/or

other sources."

It does not refer to a pension so income from working outside of Thailand, offshore, is "other sources".

To qualify for retirement extensions in general, you can use Thai bank account, income, or combination.

You can use income from any source outside Thailand.

The British Embassy needs some evidence and bank statements are sufficient to certify income for Immigration. I understand the US Embassy only needs a sworn affidavit without evidence, though it might be best to have it if Immigration should ask.

Personally, I think the simplest thing to do is to just transfer in the THB 800k, then use it for the next year's THB living expenses.

In my case, the THB 800K won't even cover my (overpriced condo) annual rent, though for many it would probably be more than adequate for annual expenses, then the leftover balance could be topped up to THB 800k each year. Of course, for homeowners, maybe this process wouldn't be as ideal, but I personally don't want to bother with monthly incoming transfers. One and done is easier, and also provides a natural hedge against THB expenses if income/assets are in another currency (can't break away from my finance geek background). I could get the income letter from the US embassy, but haven't bothered (still on my first extension, tho).

BTW, I did the visa exemption (30 day) entry, converted to a 90-day Non-O, then to an annual extension...process was straightforward and stress free at CW Bangkok as of early this year. If I weren't married, I would personally go for the Elite card though, especially for someone that travels a lot and and could use the included perks.

Edited by eppic

know a few guys in the O&G game do exactly this.... over 50, 800k in the bank - retirement visa in Thailand and work 28/28 Africa or some other nice vaction destination..wink.png

It makes perfect sense if over 50. For those under 50 will be interesting to see what happens, but The Elite Card would be a fair option to be honest, if single and under 50

Personally, I think the simplest thing to do is to just transfer in the THB 800k, then use it for the next year's THB living expenses.

In my case, the THB 800K won't even cover my (overpriced condo) annual rent, though for many it would probably be more than adequate for annual expenses, then the leftover balance could be topped up to THB 800k each year. Of course, for homeowners, maybe this process wouldn't be as ideal, but I personally don't want to bother with monthly incoming transfers. One and done is easier, and also provides a natural hedge against THB expenses if income/assets are in another currency (can't break away from my finance geek background). I could get the income letter from the US embassy, but haven't bothered (still on my first extension, tho).

BTW, I did the visa exemption (30 day) entry, converted to a 90-day Non-O, then to an annual extension...process was straightforward and stress free at CW Bangkok as of early this year. If I weren't married, I would personally go for the Elite card though, especially for someone that travels a lot and and could use the included perks.

I'm thinking more or less along these lines. I've just come offshore and will be here for at least 2 months, if I transfer THB 800k now by the time I get back and apply it will have been there for the required amount of time. It can then go towards expenses and be topped up again for next year.