Suvarnabhumi Airport to miss passenger arrival target this year

webfact

Suvarnabhumi Airport to miss passenger arrival target this year

sap.jpg
file photo

BANGKOK, 18 July 2014 (NNT) – Suvarnabhumi International Airport expects that Thailand will see less than 50 million visitors this year, which is down from last year’s arrival.

Suvarnabhumi director Raweewan Netarakavesan said that from the beginning of 2014, a total of 44 million passengers have passed through the airport. She also stated that by the end of this year, the number of passengers will only reach up to 48-50 million, down from last year’s figure at 52 million.

The kingdom will miss the 2014 tourist arrival target growth of 8 percent, largely due to political uncertainties and Chinese authorities’ recent crackdown on zero-dollar tours.

The airport expects that the number of Chinese and Taiwanese tourists will grow during the end of the year after the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has decided to temporarily waive visa fees for these tourists. The exemption will be effective from August 1 to October 31.

Reports suggest that during low seasons, the average number of passenger arrivals at Suvarnabhumi airport stands at 110,000 per day.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-18 footer_n.gif

Standby...the Tourist Authority of Thailand (TAT) will soon put out a new report correcting the OP...the TAT report will probably show an 8% increase over last year. TAT does not allow negative reports!

• Like 2

who did this accounting?

"from the beginning of 2014, a total of 44 million passengers have passed". And "by the end of this year, the number of passengers will only reach up to 48-50 million"

but "the average number of passenger arrivals at Suvarnabhumi airport stands at 110,000 per day."

so per month at least 3 million to be added. 5 months left for this year is another 15 million to arrive.

44 + 15 is 59 million. at least in the western world, maybe in thailand there is another accounting valid...

They've only got 10 fingers and 10 toes.....give 'em a break.........

But yes...you're right...poor numbers indeed....there's only going to be a further 6 million arrivals (average) to December......gonna be awful quiet out at Swampy!!

• Like 2

who did this accounting?

"from the beginning of 2014, a total of 44 million passengers have passed". And "by the end of this year, the number of passengers will only reach up to 48-50 million"

but "the average number of passenger arrivals at Suvarnabhumi airport stands at 110,000 per day."

so per month at least 3 million to be added. 5 months left for this year is another 15 million to arrive.

44 + 15 is 59 million. at least in the western world, maybe in thailand there is another accounting valid...

I did the sum on my CASID calculator that I bought at Patpong and came up with the same figures.

Maybe you should have purchased a real Casio calculator instead of a Casid.

It seems that the TV "math experts" missed the point that there were less than 22 million arrivals to date, not 44 million based on an average of 110,000 per day and July 18 is the 199 day of the year. (That's 21,890,000 arrivals to date for the math challenged) 365 days at 110,000 arrivals would be 40,150,000 for the year.

• Like 1

Flashback July 2014

Mr. Mekhanin Petchplai, a managing director of Airports of Thailand, said the airport extension plan is necessary to accommodate more visitors to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

"At the present time, Suvarnabhumi Airport has already exceeded its maximum capacity," said Mr. Mekhanin, explaining that the airport is now hosting more than 51 million passengers per year even though it was built to accommodate only 45 million visitors per year.

The Thai military junta ordered Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport to shelve the extension plan.

Now

By the end of this year, the number of passengers will only reach up to 48-50 million.

The NCPO made a masterful decision. If it can continue to depress arrivals into 2015 and going forward, think of all the savings the government will realize. Savings that could be used to pay for free broadcast of the 2018 men's world soccer cup games.

The Thai press should come up with some way to calculate the prostitution income and prostitution masquerading as Thai massage. if you go about reconciling Thai figures , even on the surface, it's obvious that Thai prostitution trade is an indispensable to the Thai economy. The Thai press is in denial as to its magnitude and importance, but we never hear about it.

who did this accounting?

If even worse than that. 110,000 * 365 days = 40.150 million.

Since the high season is longer in the beginning of the year than the end, that average for 2014 will probably go down by December, not up.

Anyway, the numbers do not work.

who did this accounting?

44 + 15 is 59 million. at least in the western world, maybe in thailand there is another accounting valid...LOLlol

lol ;)clap2.gif

they can put a big sign everywhere, tourists only welcome to spend your money for MAX 30 days, than you are out

I don't understand. Those that are on a 60 day tourist visa, Are they hunted down after 30 days and ordered to leave the country ?

Excellent news, this gives a little extra breathing-space, in which the complete the third-runway & terminal-extension projects, which have been repeatedly-announced by all-and-sundry, over the past few years !

And the NCPO can permit this, once AAT have made the whole process more-transparent, as requested.

they can put a big sign everywhere, tourists only welcome to spend your money for MAX 30 days, than you are out

I don't understand. Those that are on a 60 day tourist visa, Are they hunted down after 30 days and ordered to leave the country ?

you will become an ilegal tourist.

you will become an ilegal tourist.

I still don't understand. are you saying after 30 days my 60 day tourist visa becomes invalid and I will then be staying illegally ?

Oh I wonder why that is? Lets all go on holiday to Thailand and.............. Get accused of shop lifting in the duty free airport, have our luggage stolen by a taxi driver that pretends his cars broken down and have to get out and push, take our hard earn cash out of an ATM and get charged 180 baht plus home bank charges, hire a jet ski and get accused of damaging it when we haven't, get your gold necklace ripped off your neck by a man in a dress with tits, pay twice the amount a local does at parks and temples, cant go out of your hotel room after 22:00 cause the military have took over cause the bent cops cant control the place... Have I missed anything?

Get a grip of the Country and the tourists will come back.

• Like 1

Oh I wonder why that is? Lets all go on holiday to Thailand and.............. Get accused of shop lifting in the duty free airport, have our luggage stolen by a taxi driver that pretends his cars broken down and have to get out and push, take our hard earn cash out of an ATM and get charged 180 baht plus home bank charges, hire a jet ski and get accused of damaging it when we haven't, get your gold necklace ripped off your neck by a man in a dress with tits, pay twice the amount a local does at parks and temples, cant go out of your hotel room after 22:00 cause the military have took over cause the bent cops cant control the place... Have I missed anything?

Get a grip of the Country and the tourists will come back.

I think you are being a little unfair. It's definitely five or ten times the price at parks and temples. :P

• Like 1