hotel room safes are not secure

3NUMBAS

Cleaners can wipe the keypads clean, then after the safe has been used, they will use sellotape to see which buttons have been pressed (like lifting fingerprints).

From there it is easy to work out the combination.

Nope.....They would still have to get all 4 numbers in right order

thetyre not safe either , the reception nana hotel safes were rifled in the past

I've never heard that. Do you have a link?

The Honey Inn --that was-- in Pattaya--had its boxes opened by the night desk clerk--who then disappeared into Issan-- it was assumed-

-One German guy said he had over 200,000 in the box---a lot of Police were there taking information--but nothing came of it in the 4 weeks I was there-- no compensation I believe sad.png

The Hotel must be liable and reinstate

• Haha 1

thetyre not safe either , the reception nana hotel safes were rifled in the past

I've never heard that. Do you have a link?

Why does he/she have to provide a link ?? The safes were rifled.

He said the front desk safes at the Nana hotel were rifled. I don't believe him.

Well whats a link got to do with it then ??

Cleaners can wipe the keypads clean, then after the safe has been used, they will use sellotape to see which buttons have been pressed (like lifting fingerprints).

With four known numbers, there are only 24 different combinations of those numbers.

Not even five minutes work.

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060718010242AAvIIK5

With four known numbers, there are only 24 different combinations of those numbers.

There are 24 different possibilities that can be made with 4 different numbers. If you are using any four numbers then it can make up 10,000 different combinations.

Yes but you're locked out after wrong first 3

It is all fine with me, everybody knows that most hotel safes can be opened with another code known to hotel staff/manager, and I don't care what name you try to give it or whatever type or brand.

Lots of safes just don't even have a key override, keys get lost and an override code doesn't. End off.

Well clearly you know it all, so no point in continuing the nonsense,

Will disregard the actual technical specs, because "everybody knows"rolleyes.gif

It is obvious it is you that does not know as quite clearly the last line on your safe specification says:

"Computerized Emergency Unit Override"

I have 16 small electronic safes that we use in our apartment building. Every one comes with the same pre-set override code and two keys that are specific to each safe.

Mate, read and think before you speakfacepalm.gif

Computerized over ride is an added option,

As you said you have units and each one comes with 2 keys, 2 over ride keys DOH!w00t.gif

Go back to shop where you bought it and ask them to show you how to turn on/off pre-set codes and how to change it to whatever you want it to be

There are 24 different possibilities that can be made with 4 different numbers. If you are using any four numbers then it can make up 10,000 different combinations.

Yeah, 10,000 combinations with a 4 number code if the numbers are 0-9. If it is the type where you have A or B at the end of the code then you can double that number.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MW72

It is all fine with me, everybody knows that most hotel safes can be opened with another code known to hotel staff/manager, and I don't care what name you try to give it or whatever type or brand.

Lots of safes just don't even have a key override, keys get lost and an override code doesn't. End off.

Well clearly you know it all, so no point in continuing the nonsense,

Will disregard the actual technical specs, because "everybody knows"rolleyes.gif

It is obvious it is you that does not know as quite clearly the last line on your safe specification says:

"Computerized Emergency Unit Override"

I have 16 small electronic safes that we use in our apartment building. Every one comes with the same pre-set override code and two keys that are specific to each safe.

Mate, read and think before you speakfacepalm.gif

Computerized over ride is an added option,

As you said you have units and each one comes with 2 keys, 2 over ride keys DOH!w00t.gif

Go back to shop where you bought it and ask them to show you how to turn on/off pre-set codes and how to change it to whatever you want it to be

I can open any safe using the override code only. I do not need to use the keys.

The only time it is neccessary to use a key is if a customer has entered an incorrect code 3 times then the key pad is frozen for 15 minutes. If they need immediate access and cannot wait 15 minutes then I use the key otherwise I wait out the 15 minutes and use the code.

Some hotels with the safety boxes behind the desk have an additional "box" inside with its own padlock..

You can simply replace the default padlock with one of your own...

OK, someone can still steal the entire box and open it later, but this is probably the best way to deter most casual "employee" thiefs.

Some hotels with the safety boxes behind the desk have an additional "box" inside with its own padlock..

OK, someone can still steal the entire box and open it later, but this is probably the best way to deter most casual "employee" thiefs.

More to the point whats the Hotels liability if a box is raided at Reception ??

More to the point whats the Hotels liability if a box is raided at Reception ??

I don't think that is the point at all unless you own the hotel. I think the point is how to protect the hotel guest from theft.

Edited by thailiketoo

• 8 years later...

It's important to note that hotel safes are not always completely secure. Some safes may have easily guessable default codes or be vulnerable to hacking, while others may not be bolted down and could be removed or opened by a determined thief. It's also possible for hotel staff with access to the safe to steal from it. Securing a hotel room door with a hanger is a simple and effective way to add an extra layer of security to your room.