To all overstayers or those who know someone...

Depends if the first airport for the domestic flight is an international airport and has immigration. Chang Mai and Phuket do.

100% for sure when flying bkk air you clear customs at CNX when doing CNX to phnom phen both inbound and outbound.. You stay airside and luggage is transferred.. Used to do it at least once a month for a couple if years.

If using air asia or other point to point you clear on only the international leg.. And you use DMK with air asia.. I only ever did that the once for exactly those drawbacks.

Edited by LivinLOS

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a typo... Should read CNX ... But guessing everyone should be able to figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO no! This Is Thailand!!! Don't ever assume or think they will figure it out...you probably already have umpteen people booking tickets to Houghton County, Michigan USA.

REMEMBER: common sense isn't all that "common" anymore...

Goodbye Old Friend-Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

● Knowing when to come in out of the rain;

● Why the early bird gets the worm;

● Life isn't always fair;

● and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion..

Common Sense lost the will to live when criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;

● I Know My Rights

● I Want It Now

● Someone Else Is To Blame

● I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

"By the way, an overstay of 10 DAYS will be a year ban. So forget all the talk about the 90 days, it's gonna be 10 days..."

If this happens, it would not be the fist time Immigration or other govt depts have issued internal rules that are more stringent than the published regulations. Immigration officers have discretion and there is no appeal. Seems like a good time to avoid all intentional overstays. Save it for that case of malaria that prevents you from leaving on time.

• Like 1

It's not immediately clear why the penalty for overstay when "apprehended" is so much more severe than if you present yourself to Immo at the airport.

Apparently, 'apprehended' can refer to any encounter with the police in which you are required to show your passport, and not necessarily the result of having commited a crime (other than the overstay).

Does anyone have an idea why there is the difference in penalties for the same length of overstay?

The practical effect however is to motivate overstayers to get to the airport and out of the country as soon as possible.

If that is the intent (of the more severe penalty), Immo should conduct a nationwide public information campaign in multiple languages to give overstayers a nudge.

There has always been a different penalty for being caught with an overstay verses doing it voluntarily. If caught you would be put in the IDC until the fine is paid and you got a ticket out of the country. Also some that were caught were blacklisted.

The big difference is not so much the "apprehended" side of things it is banning from entry for any overstay more than 90 days.based upon how long the overstay is for.

From what we've been told, the girl (they were 3 actually but 2 of them) clearly told us that right now overstayers who aren't getting caught can comeback to Thailand as the new rules aren't in place. Obviously, you can get denied anywhere depending on the officer you meet but my friend clearly asked them (he was obv worry and wanted to have a plan B in case... which he still has) if he was going to be denied entry when he try to come back in Thailand because he overstayed 360 days or something. The girl told him that he should not have a problem BUT he need to get the right visa and apply for it at a Thailand Embassy outside Thailand. (But everybody already knew that i guess)

Age, look, how you talk play a huge role too... if an officer doesn't like your face, you're toasted no matter what you say/do.

And for the 10 days 1 year ban, it was written on paper by hands, it wasn't a printed document so.... i might be in the wrong there, i just tell you what i saw.

And yes you can pay your overstay at CMX Airport even if you have a domestic plane to take first THEN another one to go out country. You go through immigration in CMX and in Bangkok someone come pick you up and you go directly to your boarding gate.

• Like 1

Ubon Joe

I understand that this law has been in place for quite a while.

My question is: Why should the penalty be significantly different depending on where you are discovered as overstaying?

Any explanation for that?

Ubon Joe

I understand that this law has been in place for quite a while.

My question is: Why should the penalty be significantly different depending on where you are discovered as overstaying?

Any explanation for that?

Obvious.. One shows contrition in fixing a mistake the other your caught still making it.

If you commit a crime and go hand yourself in, provide evidence, etc... Your usually given lighter sentencing than if the police track and arrest you for the same crime. Same deal

I can't say I understand your recommendation...

You recommend leaving and coming back via that airport because your friend paid an overstay fine there? That doesn't make sense. You can pay the overstay fine and leave with no problems at any airport, or indeed border crossing if you get there safely, nothing special about your experience at that airport.

In fact I recently returned from Cambodia to Bangkok after an overstay, I arrived at Suvarnabhumi without a visa, and was given a visa exempt entry for 30 days. That's with a 30 day visa exempt, two Double entries and a 20k baht overstay in my passport. They didn't bat an eyelid or bring up how they 'wouldn't be joking next time'.

As an aside on a legal point of view, if they are making people sign this new form acknowledging the banishment from the kingdom, does that mean that if you haven't signed one you are not subject to it?

Edited by kiddeemak

It's just a typo... Should read CNX ... But guessing everyone should be able to figure it out

Thanks for that, you see we southerners don't necessarily know the codes of the northern Thai airports - personally never been there, so I was genuinely very confused by the OP.

Easy mistake to make since Michigan is so close to Northern Thailand

I can't say I understand your recommendation...

You recommend leaving and coming back via that airport because your friend paid an overstay fine there? That doesn't make sense. You can pay the overstay fine and leave with no problems at any airport, or indeed border crossing if you get there safely, nothing special about your experience at that airport.

In fact I recently returned from Cambodia to Bangkok after an overstay, I arrived at Suvarnabhumi without a visa, and was given a visa exempt entry for 30 days. That's with a 30 day visa exempt, two Double entries and a 20k baht overstay in my passport. They didn't bat an eyelid or bring up how they 'wouldn't be joking next time'.

As an aside on a legal point of view, if they are making people sign this new form acknowledging the banishment from the kingdom, does that mean that if you haven't signed one you are not subject to it?

I said that based on the fact that there have never been a problem with people going out and coming back with visa after overstaying, going back by CMX then it could be a great idea and reduce the chance of getting refused.

Sorry if you were searching for a 'special' experience report. I just typed what happened and as about what's gonna happen next i don't know since we haven't been back yet.

It's not because you received a visa exempt entry for 30 days that it's the same for everyone. Many people got refused and they actually did what they had to do (like getting a visa before coming, filling papers etc) and still got refused. You rolled the dice by overstaying and coming back with your double entries hoping they give you a visa exempt entry and it went good for you luckily. It's not everyone that want to do that. Did you even had any plan B? S

Sounds like you try to brag by saying 'Oh i came back without a visa and they let me in even with all i had in my passeport!' but it just sound stupid. Why would you do a such thing lol

You may think I sound stupid and that I didnt have a plan B, and that I am just bragging. Read again, all I did was state what happened.

From your OP:

"So to everyone who's on overstays or know someone, go CMX. Trust me."

Thats very strong advice based on just not being able to find any reports of being denied entry on google.

"So forget all the talk about the 90 days, it's gonna be 10 days (and i know cuz i've asked the officer myself and she showed me the official paper.)"

Also very strong advice.

"The told us that basically right now Thailand don't want to just kick out everyone that made a mistake and not give them a chance"

I'd wager they know a lot less about what "Thailand wants" than you believe.

"And it's at the moment (correct me if i'm wrong) THE ONLY PLACE where nobody has been refused entry."

A strong assumption to make based on not finding anything on google, even if you invite people to disprove you.

"I said that based on the fact that there have never been a problem with people going out and coming back with visa after overstaying, going back by CMX then it could be a great idea and reduce the chance of getting refused.

Sorry if you were searching for a 'special' experience report. I just typed what happened and as about what's gonna happen next i don't know since we haven't been back yet."

So really you have told us:
You cant find any reports of people being refused at Chiang Mai so you had your friend fly out from there

You should have left your post at that.

Edited by kiddeemak
  • Like 1

Depends if the first airport for the domestic flight is an international airport and has immigration. Chang Mai and Phuket do.

100% for sure when flying bkk air you clear customs at CNX when doing CNX to phnom phen both inbound and outbound.. You stay airside and luggage is transferred.. Used to do it at least once a month for a couple if years.

If using air asia or other point to point you clear on only the international leg.. And you use DMK with air asia.. I only ever did that the once for exactly those drawbacks.

so this means if using airasia to cambodia, immigration clears in DMK rather than in CNX ,so its less advisable in these circumstances?

I am in Michigan right now!!!! My English is very bad, barely passable; incoherent to a majority of farang. Nobody in Michigan understands my fluent Thai!!!! I am at a loss, but I will continue to show Thai baht with large smile.

I will eat at the big M and book my ticket back to CNX. It is only 35C here, I am freezing.

Why do they keep speaking to me in English?? I tell them "ไม่เข้าใจ" but they look at me as if i am crazy.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, you see we southerners don't necessarily know the codes of the northern Thai airports - personally never been there, so I was genuinely very confused by the OP.

Michigan is not in Northern Thailand?

So Houghton County Airport Michigan is not THE ONLY PLACE where nobody has been refused entry?

Michigan is not in Northern Thailand?

So Houghton County Airport Michigan is not THE ONLY PLACE where nobody has been refused entry?

Have to check a Michigan forum that info.

I'm loving some of the problems that seem to be popping up all of a sudden - and I suspect they are going to get worse and worser (sic) - I wonder how many of those affected are still such BIG supporters of the sudden regime change now????? Back then when everyone was so happy to see the back of the lady PM - a few of us did warn that things might change for the worst.

Stick around guys (and gals) it's gonna get even tougher.

Agreed, I really hope that some of those who so vehemently supported the overthrow of democracy are now looking at their visa full passports and packing their bags. Serves them right, fascism is never good. Karma, me thinks.

• Like 1

To try & help clarify, I think there are two things WRT overstay to consider. The first is arriving travelers showing up at immigration seeking the usual permission to enter, either with a tourist visa in hand, or, if eligible, expecting a 30d visa exempt stamp, and an overstay history. Various things now factor in to the IO's discretion to let you enter: things like how many out & ins and back-to-back "visa runs" he sees in your passport, whether or not the pattern of entries & exits suggest to him that you're actually living/working in Thailand, etc.. It's at this point that he notices past overstays. There's no clear formula for any of this, but the overstays, esp. if they strengthen his suspicion that you're "not a tourist", and might be living or working in Thailand, could be a problem... It's all the "discretion" thing, and you're not going to find a clear written policy anywhere that says you can't enter if you've ever overstayed; nevertheless, unless you can read minds, you can't know for sure these days how an IO is going to handle your past overstay(s) if & when he sees them in your passport on arrival. 'Certainly not a good thing, but probably not fatal unless long & frequent, or as a matter of drawing an unhappy IO on a bad day who takes a dislike to you...

The SECOND thing to consider about overstays is this recently announced new policy that bans overstayers for periods of time, depending on the length of their overstay. I don't think this new "schedule" of banned re-entry has gone into effect yet, but my understanding was that it was something expected in the very near future (i.e., BEFORE the infamous 12AUG airport D-day). The advice in connection with this banning policy has been to get that squared away IMMEDIATELY, BEFORE the policy goes into effect. Leave the country, paying your overstay fine in the process, and terminating your overstay status. If you wait, and the ban schedule goes into effect, and you THEN depart, then you'll be banned from re-entering Thailand for some number of years depending on the length of your overstay. That pretty much makes waiting a bad idea.

So, there are these two related but different overstay issues. If you're talking about this "ban schedule", then your best course of action is to leave Thailand immediately, thus settling up (i.e., "clearing") your overstay status in the process before the banned returns go into effect. If, OTOH, you're concerned about what your "history" of overstays will do to you on future arrivals, well, there's no real remedy or guarantee I don't think, although some will suggest you get a new passport (others will say the thais have it recorded electronically and a new passport really won't erase their knowledge of them).

That's how I see it.

To try & help clarify, I think there are two things WRT overstay to consider. The first is arriving travelers showing up at immigration seeking the usual permission to enter, either with a tourist visa in hand, or, if eligible, expecting a 30d visa exempt stamp, and an overstay history. Various things now factor in to the IO's discretion to let you enter: things like how many out & ins and back-to-back "visa runs" he sees in your passport, whether or not the pattern of entries & exits suggest to him that you're actually living/working in Thailand, etc.. It's at this point that he notices past overstays. There's no clear formula for any of this, but the overstays, esp. if they strengthen his suspicion that you're "not a tourist", and might be living or working in Thailand, could be a problem... It's all the "discretion" thing, and you're not going to find a clear written policy anywhere that says you can't enter if you've ever overstayed; nevertheless, unless you can read minds, you can't know for sure these days how an IO is going to handle your past overstay(s) if & when he sees them in your passport on arrival. 'Certainly not a good thing, but probably not fatal unless long & frequent, or as a matter of drawing an unhappy IO on a bad day who takes a dislike to you...

The SECOND thing to consider about overstays is this recently announced new policy that bans overstayers for periods of time, depending on the length of their overstay. I don't think this new "schedule" of banned re-entry has gone into effect yet, but my understanding was that it was something expected in the very near future (i.e., BEFORE the infamous 12AUG airport D-day). The advice in connection with this banning policy has been to get that squared away IMMEDIATELY, BEFORE the policy goes into effect. Leave the country, paying your overstay fine in the process, and terminating your overstay status. If you wait, and the ban schedule goes into effect, and you THEN depart, then you'll be banned from re-entering Thailand for some number of years depending on the length of your overstay. That pretty much makes waiting a bad idea.

So, there are these two related but different overstay issues. If you're talking about this "ban schedule", then your best course of action is to leave Thailand immediately, thus settling up (i.e., "clearing") your overstay status in the process before the banned returns go into effect. If, OTOH, you're concerned about what your "history" of overstays will do to you on future arrivals, well, there's no real remedy or guarantee I don't think, although some will suggest you get a new passport (others will say the thais have it recorded electronically and a new passport really won't erase their knowledge of them).

That's how I see it.

Agreed.

One thing...2-3 days ago the Commissioner General of Immigration submitted new overstay paperwork to the Ministry of the Interior. The one change is there is no more lifetime ban. The official announcement of these guidelines are to be announced in approximately 60 days.

Well this is somewhat on topic, it happened to me at my last 90 days reporting,, I'm on my 2nd retirement visa. I received it in Feb, the 19th... My last 90 days report was past the expiration date of my last retirement visa, May 16th,, So I get my latest retirement visa dated as Feb 19th of this year, I'm told by immigrations that my new report date is now, May 19th, since it's 90 days from the Feb 19th issue date of retirement visa, (still leaving the May 16th receipt stapled into my passport)... So I go to the temp immigrations office in Lad Prao, on exactly May 19th, I'm told THERE, I've missed my report by 3 days, $2000 baht fine, I tell her that I was told by immigrations when picking up my passport, my new report date was May 19th,, She says, (with a shitty smile) "you can't believe all immigrations officers",, I say,, "OK, I don't believe YOU!" Her, "You HAVE to report every 90 days of stay",,. Me, "So getting a NEW retirement visa, and picking it up at immigrations, doesn't count as REPORTING?",,, She thinks for a minute, says, "No, that doesn't count",,, So back forth, back forth.... I ask, so OVERSTAYING is different than not reporting? "no is same" I say.. "overstay is $500 per day, So $1500, not $2000?,, "No is $2000 for not reporting" ,,, Ended up $2000 fine, stamp recording this in passport, So,, anyone else ever encountered similar?

Edited by Adeeos

Well this is somewhat on topic, it happened to me at my last 90 days reporting,, I'm on my 2nd retirement visa. I received it in Feb, the 19th... My last 90 days report was past the expiration date of my last retirement visa, May 16th,, So I get my latest retirement visa dated as Feb 19th of this year, I'm told by immigrations that my new report date is now, May 19th, since it's 90 days from the Feb 19th issue date of retirement visa, (still leaving the May 16th receipt stapled into my passport)... So I go to the temp immigrations office in Lad Prao, on exactly May 19th, I'm told THERE, I've missed my report by 3 days, $2000 baht fine, I tell her that I was told by immigrations when picking up my passport, my new report date was May 19th,, She says, (with a shitty smile) "you can't believe all immigrations officers",, I say,, "OK, I don't believe YOU!" Her, "You HAVE to report every 90 days of stay",,. Me, "So getting a NEW retirement visa, and picking it up at immigrations, doesn't count as REPORTING?",,, She thinks for a minute, says, "No, that doesn't count",,, So back forth, back forth.... I ask, so OVERSTAYING is different than not reporting? "no is same" I say.. "overstay is $500 per day, So $1500, not $2000?,, "No is $2000 for not reporting" ,,, Ended up $2000 fine, stamp recording this in passport, So,, anyone else ever encountered similar?

Over staying and late 90 day reports are not the same. The max fine for late reporting is 5000 baht but the standard fine is 2000 baht no matter how late your are.

Only your first extension of stay counts as a 90 day report.

You can make your reports 15 days before or 7 days after your report date without paying a fine.

Over staying and late 90 day reports are not the same. The max fine for late reporting is 5000 baht but the standard fine is 2000 baht no matter how late your are.

You can make your reports 15 days before or 7 days after your report date without paying a fine.

So I was 3 days late, So why the $2000? The pisser is that I double checked my report date, about the 15th,, SAW it was the 16th,, then checked the retirement visa issue date,, and saw the 19th,,, like I said,,, showing up, picking up a new visa doesn't classify as a report?

Edited by Adeeos

So I was 3 days late, So why the $2000? The pisser is that I double checked my report date, about the 15th,, SAW it was the 16th,, then checked the retirement visa issue date,, and saw the 19th,,, like I said,,, showing up, picking up a new visa doesn't classify as a report?

It's not a visa, it's an extension and unfortunately immigration do not consider it as an address report, other than on your first application.

I know it's stupid, but that's the rule. 90 day report late = 2,000 THB fine.

"You can pay the overstay fine and leave with no problems at any airport, or indeed border crossing if you get there safely, nothing special about your experience at that airport."
_____

Re: paying an overstay fine at a land border: Last week, a friend who has been on overstay (and yes, it IS my friend) had a different experience:

He went to the landborder at Cambodia (sorry, I don't remember which one). His plan was to exit there, pay his fine and apply for a new visa in Cambodia. Arriving at the border, he described getting a firm talking to about it (6 months overstay, I believe). BUT...they refused to let him, or anyone else on overstay, exit Thailand. To repeat that, they refused to let overstayers exit Thailand into Cambodia by land.
Even though they knew he was on overstay, they would not accept the fine from him there, AND he and his group were instructed to go back to Bangkok (where this group was from), and to fly out to Cambodia (or wherever) by Airport. He expressed his shock, that he was allowed to then travel freely inside Thailand, while they clearly understood that he was on overstay. Last evening, he was back in Bangkok and booking a flight out through BKK, and planning to pay his overstay at the airport instead.
So, that would further the idea that one SHOULD NOT count to pay an overstay fine at a land border. I wouldn't take it to mean that all overstayers arriving to a land border would be encouraged to travel back freely, however. It could be unpleasant, on a different day. It would suggest though, that overstayers should plan to leave by airport.
Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

this is a very strange report

"You can pay the overstay fine and leave with no problems at any airport, or indeed border crossing if you get there safely, nothing special about your experience at that airport."
_____

Re: paying an overstay fine at a land border: Last week, a friend who has been on overstay (and yes, it IS my friend) had a different experience:

He went to the landborder at Cambodia (sorry, I don't remember which one). His plan was to exit there, pay his fine and apply for a new visa in Cambodia. Arriving at the border, he described getting a firm talking to about it (6 months overstay, I believe). BUT...they refused to let him, or anyone else on overstay, exit Thailand. To repeat that, they refused to let overstayers exit Thailand into Cambodia by land.
Even though they knew he was on overstay, they would not accept the fine from him there, AND he and his group were instructed to go back to Bangkok (where this group was from), and to fly out to Cambodia (or wherever) by Airport. He expressed his shock, that he was allowed to then travel freely inside Thailand, while they clearly understood that he was on overstay. Last evening, he was back in Bangkok and booking a flight out through BKK, and planning to pay his overstay at the airport instead.
So, that would further the idea that one SHOULD NOT count to pay an overstay fine at a land border. I wouldn't take it to mean that all overstayers arriving to a land border would be encouraged to travel back freely, however. It could be unpleasant, on a different day. It would suggest though, that overstayers should plan to leave by airport.