To all overstayers or those who know someone...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a typo... Should read CNX ... But guessing everyone should be able to figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am off to Michigan in 10 days, I was going to go to CMX to see what the Thai immigration would have to say

Oh mrturd, sorry, mrtoad, do you need to be so picky. Most would call it anal retentive

and as I posted on another thread, I strongly expect that authorities in your area are going to be actively looking and checking for people who are on overstay, I'm sure they have a list of names of people who have arrived and never left Thailand and are suspected on overstay, active checking of condo's and houses - random street and venue checks of bars nightclubs etc

Let's not get too excited. This is still lazy Thailand, not Nazi Germany. =p

Just stating what I believe will happen, I could of course be wrong but it is still worth noting to those that may be inclined to think it is business as usual because it clearly isn't

and as I posted on another thread, I strongly expect that authorities in your area are going to be actively looking and checking for people who are on overstay, I'm sure they have a list of names of people who have arrived and never left Thailand and are suspected on overstay, active checking of condo's and houses - random street and venue checks of bars nightclubs etc

Well, look at it this way - it could be quite lucrative which is motivational.

I'm loving some of the problems that seem to be popping up all of a sudden - and I suspect they are going to get worse and worser (sic) - I wonder how many of those affected are still such BIG supporters of the sudden regime change now????? Back then when everyone was so happy to see the back of the lady PM - a few of us did warn that things might change for the worst.

Stick around guys (and gals) it's gonna get even tougher.

Yes, as I said in a different thread, a lot of people were applauding the implementation & application of stricter rules and regulations under martial law when it affected Thai people (taxi drivers, jet ski operators, buildings erected on public land, etc), but when it means farang also have to get with the new & improved scheme of things, the applause dropped off.

If you are for less corruption and better law enforcement, it needs to be applied to everyone.

Exactly

• Like 1

I know it won't change anything...but wouldn't it make more sense, if the goal was to see overstayers leave Thailand, to make it EASIER for overstayers to leave Thailand? Banning an overstayer makes sense. But as it is now, they complain about people who don't have enough money, but then won't allow those people to leave, until they have a bunch of money. And if they don't have the money, then that means that naturally those people are going to hide, because you can't go to the airport and say 'I don't have any money', or you'll be arrested and put into a frightening situation where you need even more money and a new flight. And then they are surprised that more people don't willingly go marching into that? Who would?

And if banning a person is the punishment for an overstay (which makes sense), then what is the money for on top of it? If Thailand wants to end corruption, that's admirable. But this actually just encourages more corruption, because it inhibits people from leaving, while putting a greater threat on top of it for any officer to use.

I'm lucky to be ok at this time, myself. But this is what makes me angry about people sounding off about how overstayers are 'taking advantage'. When you think about it, Thailand is completely contradicting their stated goal.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

It's not immediately clear why the penalty for overstay when "apprehended" is so much more severe than if you present yourself to Immo at the airport.

Apparently, 'apprehended' can refer to any encounter with the police in which you are required to show your passport, and not necessarily the result of having commited a crime (other than the overstay).

Does anyone have an idea why there is the difference in penalties for the same length of overstay?

The practical effect however is to motivate overstayers to get to the airport and out of the country as soon as possible.

If that is the intent (of the more severe penalty), Immo should conduct a nationwide public information campaign in multiple languages to give overstayers a nudge.

Well, look at it this way - it could be quite lucrative which is motivational.

Lucrative? Sure. But how many countries go door to door looking for illegal immigrants? The amount of resources needed would outweigh the benefits. Also this would just breed more corruption IMO

It's not immediately clear why the penalty for overstay when "apprehended" is so much more severe than if you present yourself to Immo at the airport.

Apparently, 'apprehended' can refer to any encounter with the police in which you are required to show your passport, and not necessarily the result of having commited a crime (other than the overstay).

Does anyone have an idea why there is the difference in penalties for the same length of overstay?

The practical effect however is to motivate overstayers to get to the airport and out of the country as soon as possible.

If that is the intent (of the more severe penalty), Immo should conduct a nationwide public information campaign in multiple languages to give overstayers a nudge.

There has always been a different penalty for being caught with an overstay verses doing it voluntarily. If caught you would be put in the IDC until the fine is paid and you got a ticket out of the country. Also some that were caught were blacklisted.

The big difference is not so much the "apprehended" side of things it is banning from entry for any overstay more than 90 days.based upon how long the overstay is for.

> And it's at the moment (correct me if i'm wrong) THE ONLY PLACE where nobody has been refused entry

Why would someone who made an overstay be refused entry?

Overstayers always became clear once they paid before leaving Thailand.

> By the way, an overstay of 10 DAYS will be a year ban. So forget all the talk about the 90 days,

There is no such "10 days/1 year" in the doc they make you sign in Immigration Office when getting an extension.

Maybe you can tell us what's more was on this "paper"...

Because this overstay madness must be ended. Period. I still remember my first trip to Laos for NON-B/WP, and "nice" european couple, who overstayed 14 days. If I was border officer, I will ban them for life for sh*t they speak while payed their fine.

We see clean from overstayers, "students", "tourists" Thailand right now, and much more cleaner in the new season. Good. At least government officers will not tell me long stories about Russian Mafia and illegals, while I process documents at MOF, DBD, MOL anymore.

> And it's at the moment (correct me if i'm wrong) THE ONLY PLACE where nobody has been refused entry

Why would someone who made an overstay be refused entry?

Overstayers always became clear once they paid before leaving Thailand.

> By the way, an overstay of 10 DAYS will be a year ban. So forget all the talk about the 90 days,

There is no such "10 days/1 year" in the doc they make you sign in Immigration Office when getting an extension.

Maybe you can tell us what's more was on this "paper"...

Because this overstay madness must be ended. Period. I still remember my first trip to Laos for NON-B/WP, and "nice" european couple, who overstayed 14 days. If I was border officer, I will ban them for life for sh*t they speak while payed their fine.

We see clean from overstayers, "students", "tourists" Thailand right now, and much more cleaner in the new season. Good. At least government officers will not tell me long stories about Russian Mafia and illegals, while I process documents at MOF, DBD, MOL anymore.

I remember a couple years ago, they told me at immigration in BKK that I could overstay 2 weeks and pay the fine at the airport. They said it would be easiest and 'no problem'. And when I did that, the officers at the airport were laughing and making jokes warmly, followed by 'You are welcome to Thailand!' Should those officers and I all be banned from Thailand for life? I just wish you guys would stop writing that stuff all the time, because it's not your business if someone overstays, and it doesn't mean that someone is in the russian mob or a criminal, either.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

what kind of flight goes from chiang mai to cambodia direct? I only see ones that stop in Bangkok...

You would be in transit, therefore no need to go through immigration.

Arriving at BKK on a domestic and transferring to an international flight doesn't require going through immigration?

• Like 1

what kind of flight goes from chiang mai to cambodia direct? I only see ones that stop in Bangkok...

Arriving at BKK on a domestic and transferring to an international flight doesn't require going through immigration?

Well....I sure go through a lot of countries like Egypt or China on my way somewhere else. I can't actually remember the procedure, but it doesn't requite a visa and one never sees outside of the airport when they do.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And what of the overstay beach bums in Pattaya who are known to all and have been tolerated for years .

I also saw a certain Farangs' video on youtube. Pumped up on steroids and openly

admitting he works as some kind of a protection goon for bargirls.

You go through immigration in Chiang Mai.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

I'm loving some of the problems that seem to be popping up all of a sudden - and I suspect they are going to get worse and worser (sic) - I wonder how many of those affected are still such BIG supporters of the sudden regime change now????? Back then when everyone was so happy to see the back of the lady PM - a few of us did warn that things might change for the worst.

Good! Not all farangs in Thailand are overstayers!!!

• Like 1

There has always been a different penalty for being caught with an overstay verses doing it voluntarily. If caught you would be put in the IDC until the fine is paid and you got a ticket out of the country. Also some that were caught were blacklisted.

The big difference is not so much the "apprehended" side of things it is banning from entry for any overstay more than 90 days.based upon how long the overstay is for.

You also get a stamp in the passport showing you overstayed.

It's just a typo... Should read CNX ... But guessing everyone should be able to figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am off to Michigan in 10 days, I was going to go to CMX to see what the Thai immigration would have to say

mrtoad please report back and have a nice tripp.

It has always been different in terms of consequence. Many of the old overstayers have known this, but have chosen to take the chance as being apprehended prior to leaving the odds were slim. Now, there is no advantage and the law is being applied IMO in a far more sensible way. There really is no valid excuse for overstays of 3 month plus.

• Like 1

Geez there are some real smart arse bitter and mean souls on this forum. The Op just did the right thing and gave you the heads up about what he had personally experienced. Stop being so smart and picky and take the information in the spirit it was given

However his claims to have seen 'a paper' run contrary to every official statement regarding the new plans. I am personally wondering if his Thai reading comprehension is as good as he thinks it's is..

If I get time tomorrow I will ask the exit immigration office there if there is this paper and if it exists ask if I can take a picture with my phone.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This assumes that someone on overstay has the funds to fly out, someplace to go, and is physically/mentally able to make the trip. Unfortunately, I know at least half a dozen people on overstay in Chiang Mai that don'/aren't able to utilize the fine hospitality of the Houghton, Michigan (oops -- Chiang Mai) airport (I've actually been to Houghton, MI!) to get themselves out via the northern route. There are amazing similarities between the two airports, I've often thought.

i've been to Houghton too....many times

Geez there are some real smart arse bitter and mean souls on this forum. The Op just did the right thing and gave you the heads up about what he had personally experienced. Stop being so smart and picky and take the information in the spirit it was given

Unfortunately the "smart arse, mean, bitter, and picky are the majority of subscribers replying on this site.....how sad...this could be such a wonderful and informative site as well as helpful to many foreigners.

• Like 1

I forgot about the immigration in Chaing Mai. I don't often use that airport. I'm just noting that when flying into Bkk on a domestic and leaving on an international there'll be an immigration checkpoint at one one airport or another. I can't imagine that procedure wouldn't apply to all airports.

I forgot about the immigration in Chaing Mai. I don't often use that airport. I'm just noting that when flying into Bkk on a domestic and leaving on an international there'll be an immigration checkpoint at one one airport or another. I can't imagine that procedure wouldn't apply to all airports.

Depends if the first airport for the domestic flight is an international airport and has immigration. Chang Mai and Phuket do.