To all overstayers or those who know someone...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a typo... Should read CNX ... But guessing everyone should be able to figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, you see we southerners don't necessarily know the codes of the northern Thai airports - personally never been there, so I was genuinely very confused by the OP.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

This assumes that someone on overstay has the funds to fly out, someplace to go, and is physically/mentally able to make the trip. Unfortunately, I know at least half a dozen people on overstay in Chiang Mai that don'/aren't able to utilize the fine hospitality of the Houghton, Michigan (oops -- Chiang Mai) airport (I've actually been to Houghton, MI!) to get themselves out via the northern route. There are amazing similarities between the two airports, I've often thought.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

> And it's at the moment (correct me if i'm wrong) THE ONLY PLACE where nobody has been refused entry

Why would someone who made an overstay be refused entry?

Overstayers always became clear once they paid before leaving Thailand.

> By the way, an overstay of 10 DAYS will be a year ban. So forget all the talk about the 90 days,

There is no such "10 days/1 year" in the doc they make you sign in Immigration Office when getting an extension.

Maybe you can tell us what's more was on this "paper"...

They showed me a my friend a paper this morning and it was CLEARLY stated:

Overstay over 10 days = 1 year ban

This is what was on this paper can't tell you more, hope it's clear enough...

are you thai?

The OP - who appears to be a very nice person indeed - has overlooked a small but some may say, vital detail.

His friend has not returned yet. He may find a less friendly welcome at CNX next time round.

I hope not - and I look forward to an update.

• Like 2

I think they only showed you half the paper. They only showed you the part about being apprehended with an overstay.

If you are caught with an overstay it is a ban. Voluntarily at the airport there is no ban it your overstay is less than 90 days.

• Like 1

The paper has been published on Thaivisa and is also on Phuket immigration website. But it is still a proposal, that hasn't come into effect yet.

As Ubonjoe pointed out, it makes a big difference if you are caught with an overstay or report yourself. In the last case you will not be banned if the overstay is less than 90 days.

I too signed the overstay paper at immigration when doing my 90 day check in. This seems to be a time where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. So what else is new? What we might call "a fluid situation".

> And it's at the moment (correct me if i'm wrong) THE ONLY PLACE where nobody has been refused entry

Why would someone who made an overstay be refused entry?

Overstayers always became clear once they paid before leaving Thailand.

> By the way, an overstay of 10 DAYS will be a year ban. So forget all the talk about the 90 days,

There is no such "10 days/1 year" in the doc they make you sign in Immigration Office when getting an extension.

Maybe you can tell us what's more was on this "paper"...

They showed me a my friend a paper this morning and it was CLEARLY stated:

Overstay over 10 days = 1 year ban

This is what was on this paper can't tell you more, hope it's clear enough...

Yesterday, I met with the Superintendent of Sub-Division 2, Division 1 at Chaengwattana and four of his colleagues.

I was provided with the latest overstay information. I have the two pages of information that was submitted to the Ministry of Interior for approval. The approval takes approximately 60 days. Nowhere on this page is there a 10 day overstay = 1 year ban. If you overstay more than 90 days and surrender, then you're banned for a year.

Mario is correct in that there will not be a ban on those who overstay less than 90 days.

I'm not saying you didn't see what you say you saw but as soon as I have a little time I will show the papers I was given as well as some other interesting details.

Edited by ScottMallon
  • Like 2

Mario is correct in that there will not be a ban on those who overstay less than 90 days.

This part is in contradiction with what Mario2008 posted just after your message, and that seems to be a part transcription of the scanned document we now have to sign at Immigration: "apprehended" + "overstay less than 1 year" => "ban 5 years". There is a long discussion already in another topic about this unclear point.

This part is in contradiction with what Mario2008 posted just after your message, and that seems to be a part transcription of the scanned document we now have to sign at Immigration: "apprehended" + "overstay less than 1 year" => "ban 5 years". There is a long discussion already in another topic about this unclear point.

Okay, understood. If you turn yourself in and overstay less than 90 days, you get 1 year. But I will have the most recent information posted shortly. I was given this yesterday afternoon and I believe it will be quite clear.

Edited by ScottMallon
  • Like 1

Okay, understood. If you turn yourself in and overstay less than 90 days, you get 1 year. But I will have the most recent information posted shortly. I was given this yesterday afternoon and I believe it will be quite clear.

If you clear the overstay of less than 90 days voluntarily you will not get banned. Get caught and it will be 5 years.

• Like 1

If you clear the overstay of less than 90 days voluntarily you will not get banned. Get caught and it will be 5 years.

Excuse me, I meant MORE than 90 days gets you 1 year. Less than 90 is no penalty. If you are apprehended and overstay anything less than a year, it's 5 years.

Edited by ScottMallon
  • Like 1

and as I posted on another thread, I strongly expect that authorities in your area are going to be actively looking and checking for people who are on overstay, I'm sure they have a list of names of people who have arrived and never left Thailand and are suspected on overstay, active checking of condo's and houses - random street and venue checks of bars nightclubs etc

• Like 2

and as I posted on another thread, I strongly expect that authorities in your area are going to be actively looking and checking for people who are on overstay, I'm sure they have a list of names of people who have arrived and never left Thailand and are suspected on overstay, active checking of condo's and houses - random street and venue checks of bars nightclubs etc

Let's not get too excited. This is still lazy Thailand, not Nazi Germany. =p