In defense of the west's emphasis on global gay civil rights

Jingthing

In many countries, the west is accused of "cultural imperialism" in pushing for basic human rights for gay people.

They think they've got a strong argument with that so it should be taken seriously and RESISTED.

Well, here is a defense to that objection:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/06/30/why_gay_rights_are_different_a_report_from_toronto_s_world_pride_celebrations.html?wpisrc=obinsite

Sorry, Gay Rights Are Different

When the Indian Supreme Court recriminalized consensual sex between two adult men in December 2013 (it was de-criminalized by the Delhi High Court in 2009), it contrasted gay men with straight men with the wording “as compared to normal human beings.”

That’s the difference.

Socioeconomic rights that relate to health care and education, and civil rights related to freedom of expression and association are important to build free and fair democratic societies. But a society is not free and fair when it’s accepted in every church, courthouse, or parliament that members of the LGBTQ population are not “normal human beings.” When rights do not protect society’s most marginalized, they have lost their meaning and purpose.

Edited by Jingthing

Hard to say, a few years ago in BK was introduced to a couple of hookers from Kenya, I jokingly asked them to do it lesbian-style, and despite the fact they worked in that profession they insisted that lesbians from Kenya are stoned to death and should be stoned to death. Not sure whether it is fair to impose some western models of sexuality on everyone else. At the least the west should remain open for people facing repression to take refuge.

Hard to say, a few years ago in BK was introduced to a couple of hookers from Kenya, I jokingly asked them to do it lesbian-style, and despite the fact they worked in that profession they insisted that lesbians from Kenya are stoned to death and should be stoned to death. Not sure whether it is fair to impose some western models of sexuality on everyone else. At the least the west should remain open for people facing repression to take refuge.

I once knew a Kenyan who told me that there was not one single gay man in the whole of Kenya. Gay Kenyans simply didn't exist.

Edited by sustento

I once knew a Kenyan who told me that there was not one single gay man in the whole of Kenya. Gay Kenyans simply didn't exist.

OK well that's flat-out wrong.