Can anyone explain the anti-American sentiment to me?

Americans lost as many soldiers killed as the UK and provided the supplies to win the war.

Out of a population three times as large. We lost 5 times as many civilians as you did. You were never attacked on your home soil.

The US lost about 0.3% of its population during WWII. The Soviet Union lost around 14%.

Per capita losses are available in the last column of these tables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

And those statistics apply how? Might as well add some statistics on the amount of tea consumed per day. I am sure UK will win that hands down.

If you are going to show statistics, at least make them applicable to what the poster has stated.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly this forum is the only place I have ever heard that American's are so loud. It may be a well known fact to the rest of the world, but I was not aware of it. I think others may be more sensitive to this because they can they hear the volume and the meaning of the conversation. If a loud person was speaking a language they could not comprehend, then it may come off as less offensive.

Honestly this forum is the only place I have ever heard that American's are so loud. It may be a well known fact to the rest of the world, but I was not aware of it. I think others may be more sensitive to this because they can they hear the volume and the meaning of the conversation. If a loud person was speaking a language they could not comprehend, then it may come off as less offensive.

perhaps u were never aware of it because youre an american?

One thing that annoys me about Americans is that you talk/shout so loud as if you want everybody to hear you. When I am on the 3rd floor of my gym , I can hear every word the Americans are aying on the 1st floor.

You also in general seem ignorant of basic geography etc. But although once a SUPER POWER you are now declining quite rapidly so perhaps you won't be so arrogant in a few years time. There are quiet, intelligent, Americans but few AND far between.

I think the saying goes something like..... You can tell a yank a mile away, but you can never tell him anything to his face.

Just sayin.

I have moved tables before due to Americans sitting nearby so I can hear my companion talk.

They act as if they know everything and are 100% sure until their ideas are tested.

Not for me.

Thank you for moving tables. I know exactly what you mean. Do the same thing myself if any Brits, Ozzies, Indians, or Russians are nearby.

I take it you move closer so you can hear their conversation over the hum drum dribble coming from your table ?

• Like 1

so now you know how the rest of the world feels when americans go on about how they always save the world

By which we know you've thrown in the towel. Here you've been roundly beaten in your argument yet you won't admit it and go back to chanting the same nonsense as if chanting makes it true. You needn't bother: none of your large uneducated Brit/Ozzie constituency will be in the least swayed by any facts. smile.png Just enjoying the wanking, eh?

'Mercans don't always go on about any such thing. In fact they never do, but w/ regard to WW II, they will make a point about having made a critical contribution, if you raise the subject--as of course you always MUST in an anti-American thread.

Abroad, enjoying a bar or restaurant, shopping, I can't imagine any American talking about, of all things, WW II. It's the furthest thing from their minds, except for a few history buffs or old soldiers visiting historic sites. Never heard any such conversation. Among my friends, if the subject comes up at all, it's in reference our fathers' service, and that's mostly if there's a reunion or funeral.

If the subject of, for example, Iraq comes up, a war most 'Mercans didn't support anyway, it's either with regret or to lambast Obama for pulling out too soon and hence leaving a mess instead of lasting success. There's no "we saved the world" nonsense.

So this merely one of the lies perpetuated in the forum by our little trollish anti-americanistas. It reflects your own bias.

I think the main problem is that poor 'Mercans just aren't talking about footie enough. That, now, is the most unpardonable arrogance. They need to throw in references to the latest exciting match between, oh, Bradford Park Avenue vs. Vauxhall Motors. Now we got something interesting, important, and congenial! smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

I have moved tables before due to Americans sitting nearby so I can hear my companion talk.

They act as if they know everything and are 100% sure until their ideas are tested.

Not for me.

Thank you for moving tables. I know exactly what you mean. Do the same thing myself if any Brits, Ozzies, Indians, or Russians are nearby.

I take it you move closer so you can hear their conversation over the hum drum dribble coming from your table ?

That is of course what you would take.

Next.

In 2013 Russia was ranked 148th out of 179 countries, six places below the previous year, mainly due to the return of Vladimir Putin. Freedom House compiles a similar ranking and placed Russia at number 176 out of 197 countries for press freedom for 2013, putting it level with Sudan and Ethiopia. The Committee to Protect Journalists states that Russia was the country with the 10th largest number of journalists killed since 1992, 26 of them since the beginning of 2000, including four from Novaya Gazeta. It also placed Russia at number 9 in the world for numbers of journalists killed with complete impunity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_Russia

Anyone who takes Russian media seriously has to have a screw loose or an agenda to push.

the censorship by the corporate owners of american media has done just as good a job. nobody takes the american media seriously.

Aw come on now. US #32 Russia #148 http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2013,1054.html

I was 100% sure someone would post exactly this. How exactly should I know this information? I have been halfway around the world but never been told this. Maybe I should spend more time on the internet?

One thing that annoys me about Americans is that you talk/shout so loud as if you want everybody to hear you. When I am on the 3rd floor of my gym , I can hear every word the Americans are aying on the 1st floor.

You also in general seem ignorant of basic geography etc. But although once a SUPER POWER you are now declining quite rapidly so perhaps you won't be so arrogant in a few years time. There are quiet, intelligent, Americans but few AND far between.

I think the saying goes something like..... You can tell a yank a mile away, but you can never tell him anything to his face.

Just sayin.

No, it's more like, you can take the Brit out of the council estate, but you can't take the council estate out of the Brit.

Just sayin.

Edited by JSixpack

I was 100% sure someone would post exactly this. How exactly should I know this information? I have been halfway around the world but never been told this. Maybe I should spend more time on the internet?

Gotta spend more time listening to our trolls wanking in the recurring TV America-bashing threads. But they're just trolls. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

so now you know how the rest of the world feels when americans go on about how they always save the world

By which we know you've thrown in the towel. Here you've been roundly beaten in your argument yet you won't admit it and go back to chanting the same nonsense as if chanting makes it true. You needn't bother: none of your large uneducated Brit/Ozzie constituency will be in the least swayed by any facts. smile.png Just enjoying the wanking, eh?

'Mercans don't always go on about any such thing. In fact they never do, but w/ regard to WW II, they will make a point about having made a critical contribution, if you raise the subject--as of course you always MUST in an anti-American thread.

Abroad, enjoying a bar or restaurant, shopping, I can't imagine any American talking about, of all things, WW II. It's the furthest thing from their minds, except for a few history buffs or old soldiers visiting historic sites. Never heard any such conversation. Among my friends, if the subject comes up at all, it's in reference our fathers' service, and that's mostly if there's a reunion or funeral.

If the subject of, for example, Iraq comes up, a war most 'Mercans didn't support anyway, it's either with regret or to lambast Obama for pulling out too soon and hence leaving a mess instead of lasting success. There's no "we saved the world" nonsense.

So this merely one of the lies perpetuated in the forum by our little trollish anti-americanistas. It reflects your own bias.

I think the main problem is that poor 'Mercans just aren't talking about footie enough. That, now, is the most unpardonable arrogance. They need to throw in references to the latest exciting match between, oh, Bradford Park Avenue vs. Vauxhall Motors. Now we got something interesting and congenial! smile.png

lol , because YOU cant imagine something that makes it untrue? theres that american arrogance again. you cemented it with your self declared victory>. you continue to reinforce the anti americanism with each post!! most americans didnt support the iraq war?? thats the funniest thing ive read here in months!!

lol , because YOU cant imagine something that makes it untrue?

Based on infinitely more conversations w/ Americans home and abroad than you've had or will ever have. And being 'Mercan myself, I know how they think a lot better than you do. World history isn't one of their favorite subjects, to say the least. What you mainly hear is stuff about American sports, the family, the house & lawn, the job, the business meeting, the drunken shenanigans that night in New Orleans, that hot woman over there--it's as mundane as can be and not in the least threatening to British/Ozzie pride except they don't show as much humility towards and interest in your countries as you demand they should. smile.png

Logically, reasonably, there's no reason to talk about WW II, of all things. Why don't you go with an American to a bar and sit with a group of Americans and then you and the American both report back here whether any one of the group besides yourself brought up the topic of WW II and some American said "we saved the world." Let's have the evidence. LOL.

It's more that your chanting doesn't make it true and is in fact merely lying. As I noted, why bother? You're just preaching to the choir, pal.

most americans didnt support the iraq war?? thats the funniest thing ive read here in months!!

Ha! Well, probably should have qualified it w/ most intelligent Americans. smile.png The others did put a bit too much faith in their leaders. But 42% of Brits also supporting is hardly an insignificant figure either. Still, it might have turned out a great success if the USA hadn't pulled out prematurely. We stayed much longer in Japan, Korea, and Germany. Point is, most Americans aren't saying they saved the world about anything and that idea is nowhere taught in America.

Edited by JSixpack

I'm Scottish, i absolutely despise 99% of Scottish people and i hate Scotland as a country. We have a huge chip on our shoulder, we seem to think "everyone loves us" yet we are ignorant, unhealthy, violent vermin.

We like to tell everyone how nice we are before stabbing them, we tell everyone we invented everything when in fact we didn't, other did before us, we just lie.

Nah, Scottish are fine folks with good sense of humour (that if you can understand them, hahaha).

Violent??? Only when drunk... which is almost always. biggrin.png

Sent from one of my mobiles, whatever mobile it is.

Every have a Glasgow Kiss? And I love good Scotch.

• Like 1

Based on infinitely more conversations w/ Americans home and abroad than you've had or will ever have. And being 'Mercan myself, I know how they think a lot better than you do. World history isn't one of their favorite subjects, to say the least. What you mainly hear is stuff about American sports, the family, the house & lawn, the job, the business meeting, the drunken shenanigans that night in New Orleans, that hot woman over there--it's as mundane as can be and not in the least threatening to British/Ozzie pride except they don't show as much humility towards and interest in your countries as you demand they should. smile.png

Logically, reasonably, there's no reason to talk about WW II, of all things.

It's more that your chanting doesn't make it true and is in fact merely lying. As I noted, why bother? You're just preaching to the choir, pal.

most americans didnt support the iraq war?? thats the funniest thing ive read here in months!!

Ha! Well, probably should have qualified it w/ most intelligent Americans. smile.png The others did put a bit too much faith in their leaders. But 42% of Brits also supporting is hardly an insignificant figure either. Point is, most Americans aren't saying they saved the world about anything.

you have absolutely no idea of my experience in or with america but your continued arrogance (previously high-lighted) won't allow you to notice. WWII is never a big item in my day pal but you do seem overly sensitive about it. cowardice is never easy I know. And as a gallup poll taken in 2003 showed 70% of americans thought saddam did 9/11, I wouldnt hold out too much hope for intelligent americans. brainwashed automatons more like!

If you meet a USA guy, ask him where he is from, and tell him "USA? Where is that? Never heard about it"

And look at his face....!

And if you want ad more sauce on his ego say "gosh, I would prefer to live in Mexico"

One day I made believe a usa guy I was living in the eiffel tower . I bet he believe me, he told me it was howsome!

In USA I love to make fun of them. They are so clueless. You can say whatever you want, they believe anything ! No wonder they like the Church of Scientology.

Edited by bitcoinman

you have absolutely no idea of my experience in or with america but your continued arrogance (previously high-lighted) won't allow you to notice. WWII is never a big item in my day pal but you do seem overly sensitive about it.

Not at all. And I edited my post to invite a test with independent verification. Let me know when you've got it. You and other trolls brought it up the subject; you wanted to argue it into the ground; you were put in your place. So this thread can serve as reference for all the future American bashes and maybe save some posts and hot air.

cowardice is never easy I know. And as a gallup poll taken in 2003 showed 70% of americans thought saddam did 9/11, I wouldnt hold out too much hope for intelligent americans. brainwashed automatons more like!

Or perhaps it's merely you who's brainwashed. We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. smile.png Cheers!

you have absolutely no idea of my experience in or with america but your continued arrogance (previously high-lighted) won't allow you to notice. WWII is never a big item in my day pal but you do seem overly sensitive about it.

Not at all. And I edited my post to invite a test with independent verification. Let me know when you've got it. You and other trolls brought it up the subject; you wanted to argue it into the ground; you were put in your place. So this thread can serve as reference for all the future American bashes and maybe save some posts and hot air.

cowardice is never easy I know. And as a gallup poll taken in 2003 showed 70% of americans thought saddam did 9/11, I wouldnt hold out too much hope for intelligent americans. brainwashed automatons more like!

Or perhaps it's merely you who's brainwashed. We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. smile.png Cheers!

feel free to paste my post that brought up the war . and it wasnt mwe who thought saddam did 9/11. it was the mindless rabble you call countrymen.

Logically, reasonably, there's no reason to talk about WW II, of all things.

Ha! Well, probably should have qualified it w/ most intelligent Americans. smile.png The others did put a bit too much faith in their leaders. But 42% of Brits also supporting is hardly an insignificant figure either. Point is, most Americans aren't saying they saved the world about anything.

you have absolutely no idea of my experience in or with america but your continued arrogance (previously high-lighted) won't allow you to notice. WWII is never a big item in my day pal but you do seem overly sensitive about it. cowardice is never easy I know. And as a gallup poll taken in 2003 showed 70% of americans thought saddam did 9/11, I wouldnt hold out too much hope for intelligent americans. brainwashed automatons more like!

In September 2006, an Ipsos-Reid poll found that 22 percent of Canadians believe "the attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001, had nothing to do with Osama bin Laden and were actually a plot by influential Americans.

A September 2008 Angus Reid poll showed that 39 percent of respondents either disagree or are unsure that al-Qaeda carried out the attacks. About a third of those surveyed believed the U.S. government allowed the attacks to happen and 16 percent believe the U.S. government made the attacks happen.

United Kingdom......

5 percent said the U.S. government were responsible, 1 percent said Israel and 12 percent named another country. 26 percent said they did not know.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polls_about_9/11_conspiracy_theories

• Like 1

and it wasnt mwe who thought saddam did 9/11. it was the mindless rabble you call countrymen.

Oh, MY. You poor dear. Did some big bad ol' meanie here accuse lil' ol' you of thinking saddam did 9/11 and cause you to soil your knickers? Shame on them! How distressing. You're just bein' persecuted left & right, princess. You know it was Bush & Cheney who secretly plotted and had 9/11 carried out. 'Mercan war machine, man!

Oh--and them moon landings--all fake y'know. smile.png

In September 2006, an Ipsos-Reid poll found that 22 percent of Canadians believe "the attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001, had nothing to do with Osama bin Laden and were actually a plot by influential Americans.

A September 2008 Angus Reid poll showed that 39 percent of respondents either disagree or are unsure that al-Qaeda carried out the attacks. About a third of those surveyed believed the U.S. government allowed the attacks to happen and 16 percent believe the U.S. government made the attacks happen.

United Kingdom......

5 percent said the U.S. government were responsible, 1 percent said Israel and 12 percent named another country. 26 percent said they did not know.[

americans polled far more than that in many polls

United Kingdom......

So?

United Kingdom......

So?

just wanted to give your post some context as it didnt seem to fit the thread

United Kingdom......

So?

hey, my granddaughter says that

United Kingdom......

So?

just wanted to give your post some context as it didnt seem to fit the thread

You're implication that people were anti American because of ignorant answers to poll questions is silly. Ethnocentric stools care far more about old stereotypes than current polls. Look at the long discussion about WWII. Brits have little factual financial information about WWII and its financial aftermath and rely on bar tales for stereotypes instead of reading about actual happenings.

You're implication that people were anti American because of ignorant answers to poll questions is silly. Ethnocentric stools care far more about old stereotypes than current polls. Look at the long discussion about WWII. Brits have little factual financial information about WWII and its financial aftermath and rely on bar tales for stereotypes instead of reading about actual happenings.

that wasnt my implication at all. and what are those long discussions to me? anti- americanism is a fact, the op asked why. folks gave him reasons why. some americans dont like to hear the reasons given and want to argue about the stereotypes. and the methods they use to argue the point further alienate the folks that are anti-american. quite interesting.

• Like 1

If you meet a USA guy, ask him where he is from, and tell him "USA? Where is that? Never heard about it"

And look at his face....!

And if you want ad more sauce on his ego say "gosh, I would prefer to live in Mexico"

One day I made believe a usa guy I was living in the eiffel tower . I bet he believe me, he told me it was howsome!

In USA I love to make fun of them. They are so clueless. You can say whatever you want, they believe anything ! No wonder they like the Church of Scientology.

This has got to be one of the most bizarre things I have heard someone be proud of.

You really think that because you pretend that you don't know where the US is that this will hurt his ego?

So you would rather live in Mexico over a place that you have "never heard about it"? Makes even less sense than your first statement.

And the fact that you like to travel to a place and and are amused by showing your moral superiority is less arrogant than the average American you come across?

I suppose its already been said but I imagine the reality of the two situations was more like

1) The "lost" couple were perfectly happy and did not ask for nor require your assistance

2) The Iranian man was indeed none of your business and the scantily clad women walking by him are not your responsibility. You are not even from this country and I imagine there were plenty of Thai males around to defend their honour should that be what is required.

In both situation you probably mistakenly thought you were needed where in fact you were sticking your oar in where it was not wanted.

Can you spot any parallels to your personal outlook and that of the foreign policy of your home country? =)

I'm only being half serious!

• Like 1