Obtaining a Retirement Visa Questions

1. Can I convert from a 30 day visa exemption to a retirement visa? If so is there a guide online for this?

2. I'm not really retired, but am over 50 and I have a job in the US that does not require me to be in the US for most of the year. Can I use employment (rather than pension) income to meet the income test?

3. I will not be in Thailand for over 180 days per year, so there should be no tax implication, correct?

4. I don't want to keep money in a Thai bank. If I go the income route (500,000 THB/month earned in USD), am I exempt from that requirement?

5. Once I get the letter from the embassy documenting the income, and I go into the immigration office, how long before the O-A visa is received? (I need to leave Thailand on July 30 but will return August 7-26 assuming I'm not denied entry at the border. Sigh... )

6. Do I also apply for (and receive) a multiple re-entry permit at the same time?

7. Assuming I never stay in Thailand for over 90 days, would I ever need to report to the police?

8. Do I need to bring any other documentation (other than the embassy letter and my passport) to the immigration office?

You can do the conversion at some immigration offices but you need 15 days remaining on your entry to do it.

You can use any income to get the extension. You will get an income affidavit from the embassy. You will need to make appointment to get it.

You only need proof of income their is no need to put money in the bank.

When you do the conversion you will first apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. Your will need poof of income then. Copies of you passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card. and a completed TM87 application form with an attached photo. Some offices may ask for proof of residence.

You can apply for a re-entry permit if you need to travel during that 90 day entry before applying for your extension during the last 45 days of the entry.

You will need a new income affidavit when you apply and the same passport and TM6 copies when you apply for the extension. You will complete a TM7 form and attach a photo to it.

​After getting the extension you can apply for a multiple re-entry permit.

You do not need to worry about taxes.

A report of staying longer than 90 days in the country will not be needed unless you stay that long.

Sigh.. I don't have 15 days left. Is there anything else I can do while I'm here? Be nice to have something to be sure I get readmitted.

Once I apply, is the O-A visa placed in my passport immediately or what is the waiting period?

It is not a OA visa. It is a just a 90 day entry. You will get it while you wait for it.

You could try to get a single entry non-o visa from one of the honorary consulates while you are in the states. Contact info: http://www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=consulate_honorary

If not going to the states you could get a single entry non-o from one of the nearby embassies for consulates. Some may want financial proof but a copy of the income affidavit would be good enough for that..

OK, so here is my understanding.

1. It is not possible to get a non-O in Thailand between now and July 30 when my visa waiver expires. Therefore:

2. I should go to the US Embassy and get the income document this week.

3. I should fly to someplace like PHN, SIN or KUL (which is best?) and use that income document to apply for a single entry non-O visa at the Thai embassy in that country. It will be issued within a day.

4. I can fly back to Bangkok (say on August 6) with that non-O and go to the immigration office at Wattana with my passport, copies of my passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card and a completed TM87 application form with an attached photo and the same income document noted above and apply for the retirement program (or whatever the official name is) and at the same time apply for a multiple re-entry permit.

5. I am unlikely to need a residency contract at Wattana.

6. All of this should likely be completed immediately or at least in time for me to fly back to the US on August 25.

Am I understanding everything correctly?

Edited by moto77

You need to make appointment with US Embassy online - do that now for Monday or first available date - you can then try to obtain conversion to non immigrant visa entry from Immigration immediately (they have allowed with less than normal 15 days in the past so worth a try). If not able do as stated above but you will only need TM.7 form if you already have non immigrant O visa entry and can obtain the one year retirement extension with that.

1. Correct

2. Yes But just give them a copy so that you can use the original when you do your extension.

3. Laos is good. Cambodia take 4 days and embassy is not friendly., Penang is good, KL not sure, Singapore maybe.

4. You can do the the extension during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry you will get from the visa.. You can get a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) if you need to travel during the 90 days. When you do the extension you will need a completed TM7 application form with an attached photo and he copies mentioned along with your income affidavit.

5. Correct

6. You will not have the extension done but can use the re-entry permit and get the remainder of the 90 day non-o visa entry when you return and then apply for your extension.

Corrections have been made.

1. Correct

2. Yes But just give them a copy so that you can use the original when you do your extension.

3. Laos is good. Cambodia take 4 days and embassy is not friendly., Penang is good, KL not sure, Singapore maybe.

4. You can do the the extension during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry you will get from the visa.. You can get a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) if you need to travel during the 90 days. When you do the extension you will need a completed TM7 application form with an attached photo and he copies mentioned along with your income affidavit.

5. Correct

6. You will not have the extension done but can use the re-entry permit and get the remainder of the 90 day non-o visa entry when you return and then apply for your extension.

Corrections have been made.

Is Hong Kong good? I actually have some business there.

Based on item 4: So if I obtain the non-O in Penang (or whatever) I can get it same day and fly back on August 5. I then apply for single reentry ONLY, but I cannot apply for retirement yet because I must leave on August 25. Therefore must return again within 90 days--Say October--and apply for retirement at that time.

Is there any other visa that would allow me to apply between August 5 and August 25?

How long would I need to stay in October to get everything done?

You need to make appointment with US Embassy online - do that now for Monday or first available date - you can then try to obtain conversion to non immigrant visa entry from Immigration immediately (they have allowed with less than normal 15 days in the past so worth a try). If not able do as stated above but you will only need TM.7 form if you already have non immigrant O visa entry and can obtain the one year retirement extension with that.

OK, will try that next week. I have an appointment on Tuesday AM and will go Tuesday afternoon.

Any idea which office would be the best to try? You can pm me if you don't want to post here.

In Bangkok there is only one office.

Immigration Division 1
At The Govenment Complex Commemorating His Majesty

Available Services for extension of temporary stay in Thailand, Notofication of address every 90 days, Permanent Resident Permit , Visa Issuing and Changing type of Visa, Re-entry Permit ,
Alien Registration, Endorsement and Re-entry Visa for Resident Certificate holders.
At The Govenment Complex Commemorating His Majesty The King Chaengwattana
Tel : 0-2141-9889 , Fax : 0-2143-8228
Office hour: Mon-Fri 8:30 - 12.00 and 13.00 - 16:30
Closed on OFFICIAL HOLIDAYS

The Govenment Complex Commemorating His Majesty , B Building , Floor 2 (South Zone)
Chaengwattana Road (Soi 7) , Laksi , Bangkok 10210

MAP

map1.jpg

MAP Indoor B Building, Floor 2

map2.jpg

Getting to the Immigration Division 1By Bus & VanTake BusNO. 52 : PAKKRET - BANG SUE
NO. 150 : PAKKRET - BANGKAPI
NO. 356 : PAKKRET - RANGSIT
Take van

No. 10 : MO CHIT 2 – PAKKRET
No. 11 : NGAM WONG WAN(THE MALL) - PAKKRET
No. 16 : MINBURI - MO CHIT 2
No. 22 : MINBURI - PAKKRET
No. 26 : RAMA IX - PAKKRET
No. 27 : MBK CENTER - PAKKRET
No. 64 : VICTORY MONUMENT - PAKKRET
No. 82 : VICTORY MONUMENT - SAPAN MAI
No. 87 : VICTORY MONUMENT – WAT BANGKUWAT
No. 95 : RAMKHAMHAENG UNIVERSITY – RAM INTRA
No. 97 : RAMKHAMHAENG UNIVERSITY - PAKKRET
No. 98 : RAMKHAMHAENG UNIVERSITY – DON MUEANG
No. 102 : THE ROYAL FIELD – PAKKRET PIER

Take bus and van on Chaengwattana Rd., pass TOT on left then get off bus or van at Bus Stop in front of CAT.
Then walk into Chaengwattana Soi7 about 100 meters take a shuttle bus to The Govenment Complex, B Building get off at East zone. After that walk to 2nd Floor of South zone you will meet Immigration Division1

By Bangkok subway

ChatuchakPark station is the closest subway station to Immigration Division1 at The Govenment Complex. Take Then take Taxi to Chaengwattana Road, Soi7.

By Bangkok skytrainExit at MoChit station then take a taxi to Chaengwattana Road, Soi7.

By CarDrive to Chaengwattana Road (Soi7) pass TOT and CAT then turn left into Chaengwattana Soi7 about 800 meters drive to the end of a way, The Covernment Complex, B Building is on the right hand side, Then turn right the end of a way, it is South zone of B building drive away to 2nd Floor stop at South gate. After that walk to Immigration Division1.

• Like 1

Based on item 4: So if I obtain the non-O in Penang (or whatever) I can get it same day and fly back on August 5. I then apply for single reentry ONLY, but I cannot apply for retirement yet because I must leave on August 25. Therefore must return again within 90 days--Say October--and apply for retirement at that time.

Is there any other visa that would allow me to apply between August 5 and August 25?

They should do it in Hong Kong but it will be next day service like most other locations.

There is no visa that would let you apply for the extension that soon. You could get a single entry tourist visa and apply for the conversion to get a 90 day entry as soon as you arrive.

You could return in October on the re-entry permit and do the extension in one day.

I see you are going to try a CW for the conversion on Tuesday. You could also ask about applying for a 7 day extension. If they agree to do the conversion the one problem you may have is that recently they have not been doing the visa on the same day you apply and have you come back in two weeks to get the stamps.

When you were on the embassy website getting the appointment did you you look on this page that has a link to fill out the affidavit online and print it. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

Sounds to me like you should relax and enjoy this trip. Arrange to get a non-IMM 'O' at an Honorary Consulate in the USA (in-person) and get the US Embassy income affidavit and retirement extension on your next trip.

BTW I am here in Thailand on extension via retirement and have been for about 7 years.

They should do it in Hong Kong but it will be next day service like most other locations.

There is no visa that would let you apply for the extension that soon. You could get a single entry tourist visa and apply for the conversion to get a 90 day entry as soon as you arrive.

You could return in October on the re-entry permit and do the extension in one day.

I see you are going to try a CW for the conversion on Tuesday. You could also ask about applying for a 7 day extension. If they agree to do the conversion the one problem you may have is that recently they have not been doing the visa on the same day you apply and have you come back in two weeks to get the stamps.

When you were on the embassy website getting the appointment did you you look on this page that has a link to fill out the affidavit online and print it. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

Ubonjoe. I want an extension of stay from a non immigrant B multi entry. When do I need to apply after I get my 90 day stamp at the airport I understand about capital seasoning at bank etc). Reading the forum I am unclear whether I have to wait 45 days or 60 days (i.e in final 30 days of my latest stamp) after entry to make my application for extension of stay for retirement purposes.

Ubonjoe. I want an extension of stay from a non immigrant B multi entry. When do I need to apply after I get my 90 day stamp at the airport I understand about capital seasoning at bank etc). Reading the forum I am unclear whether I have to wait 45 days or 60 days (i.e in final 30 days of my latest stamp) after entry to make my application for extension of stay for retirement purposes.

I used 45 days because it was for CW. Some office still only do them during the last 30 days of the 90 entry. Most of the larger offices now allow you to do it at 45 days.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you should relax and enjoy this trip. Arrange to get a non-IMM 'O' at an Honorary Consulate in the USA (in-person) and get the US Embassy income affidavit and retirement extension on your next trip.

BTW I am here in Thailand on extension via retirement and have been for about 7 years.

But I need to come back in August for a flight on the 25th and am concerned about not being issued a second 30 day visa waiver.

As long as they give me the extension, I wouldn't need to leave on the 30th and in that case, I could come back in two weeks, no problem.

Thanks for the form!

Edited by moto77

But I need to come back in August for a flight on the 25th and am concerned about not being issued a second 30 day visa waiver.

If you had a non-IMM 'O' from the USA by 25 AUG you would not (most likely) have a problem or any more so that if you had the retirement extension.

Chiang Mai office will definitely allow you to convert a 30 day visa exempt entry into a 90 day O (for the purposes for retirement) during the last 15 days. However, they will not permit you to do the 12-month retirement extension of that 90 day O "early", i.e. you have to wait and return during the last 30 days of the 90 day O visa.

The logic I've heard on permitting a late conversion of a non-exempt entry is that it can sometimes take time to open a bank account and transfer funds or to get into a consulate for an income letter or otherwise get your ducks lined up to demonstrate that you're on the right path to meet the financial requirements for a retirement extension when the time comes.

Each office has their own local "rules" or interpretation of the "rules".

Edited by NancyL

As long as they give me the extension, I wouldn't need to leave on the 30th and in that case, I could come back in two weeks, no problem.

They don't do a 2 week extension. They may give you a under consideration stamp with a report back date 2 weeks later that you could get a single re-entry permit for.

They don't do a 2 week extension. They may give you a under consideration stamp with a report back date 2 weeks later that you could get a single re-entry permit for.

If they give me such a stamp, I assume that I wouldn't be required to leave the country on the 30th--otherwise I wouldn't be able to return.

If they give me such a stamp, I assume that I wouldn't be required to leave the country on the 30th--otherwise I wouldn't be able to return.

The 2 weeks is one of the reasons they want 15 days remaining. That is where the 7 day extension that I mentioned earlier would help.

Recent reports is that they don't do a under consideration stamp they just tell you to come back in two weeks. That is why I said they may give a under consideration stamp.

Gents, I'm a little confused on this subject as every day I seem to read different information.

So very briefly here is my situation;

I'm an offshore worker working a 28 / 28 rotation and I'm going to be 50yrs old on Aug 3.

I intend to arrive in Thailand on August 8th, on a 30 day waiver stamp (or whatever the correct name is)

If I go to immigration in Khon Kaen say 1st Sept can I apply to change that to a 90 day non O visa.

I will fly back to work and return again to Thailand on 3rd thru 29th Oct, will I be able to convert 90 day non O during that trip or not

Gents, I'm a little confused on this subject as every day I seem to read different information.

So very briefly here is my situation;

I'm an offshore worker working a 28 / 28 rotation and I'm going to be 50yrs old on Aug 3.

I intend to arrive in Thailand on August 8th, on a 30 day waiver stamp (or whatever the correct name is)

If I go to immigration in Khon Kaen say 1st Sept can I apply to change that to a 90 day non O visa.

I will fly back to work and return again to Thailand on 3rd thru 29th Oct, will I be able to convert 90 day non O during that trip or not

As far I as know Khon Kaen immigration cannot do the conversion. Your only choice for the conversion would be Bangkok.

Do you have the money in the bank or will you be able to get an income letter for the 65k baht income?.

I suggest you make a trip to Vientiane or Savannakhet and get a single entry non-o visa. Take you financial proof in case they want it (only give them a copy of income letter).

Then you could get a re-entry permit at KK immigration for your 90 day day entry and do your extension in October there.

• Like 1

Yes I enough money in a Thai bank account, and my original thoughts / plan was to fly to Savannakhet during my break in August and apply for single 90 day Non O visa.

So obviously before departing back to work, I would go to Khon Kaen immigration and get a re-entry stamp on that visa.

When is the earliest I can apply for the conversion i.e. how many days left on the 90day visa does it have to be within the last 30 / 45 days of validity prior to applying for long stay OA visa?

Is there any advantage / disadvantage of doing the conversion at Savannakhet against Bangkok?

Yes I enough money in a Thai bank account, and my original thoughts / plan was to fly to Savannakhet during my break in August and apply for single 90 day Non O visa.

So obviously before departing back to work, I would go to Khon Kaen immigration and get a re-entry stamp on that visa.

When is the earliest I can apply for the conversion i.e. how many days left on the 90day visa does it have to be within the last 30 / 45 days of validity prior to applying for long stay OA visa?

Is there any advantage / disadvantage of doing the conversion at Savannakhet against Bangkok?

You might have to make two trips to Bangkok immigration to get the visa/entry stamp. They have been telling people to come in two week for it after applying.

Savannakhet is now doing visas on the same date applied for. Do you have a copy of your bank book or your bank book with you now. Savannakhet has been reported as wanting to see financial proof.

You would certainly need to get the re-entry permit before leaving. You could also ask KK immigration then about their requirements and about how early you can do it. when you come back. Be sure you ask them about getting an extension of stay based upon retirement not an OA visa because it not a visa of any type.

KK probably would use the last 30 days of the 90 day entry rule to do the application. You can apply for it up to the last day.

UbonJoe: Someone said that they have a multiple O-A visa based on retirement and that it cost 3800 baht.

Can I get this visa in Penang as a US citizen?

Could I just get this every year in the US and forget about the extensions / re-entry permits?

You can do the conversion at some immigration offices but you need 15 days remaining on your entry to do it.

You can use any income to get the extension. You will get an income affidavit from the embassy. You will need to make appointment to get it.

You only need proof of income their is no need to put money in the bank.

When you do the conversion you will first apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. Your will need poof of income then. Copies of you passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card. and a completed TM87 application form with an attached photo. Some offices may ask for proof of residence.

You can apply for a re-entry permit if you need to travel during that 90 day entry before applying for your extension during the last 45 days of the entry.

You will need a new income affidavit when you apply and the same passport and TM6 copies when you apply for the extension. You will complete a TM7 form and attach a photo to it.

​After getting the extension you can apply for a multiple re-entry permit.

You do not need to worry about taxes.

A report of staying longer than 90 days in the country will not be needed unless you stay that long.

1. Can I convert from a 30 day visa exemption to a retirement visa? If so is there a guide online for this?

2. I'm not really retired, but am over 50 and I have a job in the US that does not require me to be in the US for most of the year. Can I use employment (rather than pension) income to meet the income test?

3. I will not be in Thailand for over 180 days per year, so there should be no tax implication, correct?

4. I don't want to keep money in a Thai bank. If I go the income route (500,000 THB/month earned in USD), am I exempt from that requirement?

5. Once I get the letter from the embassy documenting the income, and I go into the immigration office, how long before the O-A visa is received? (I need to leave Thailand on July 30 but will return August 7-26 assuming I'm not denied entry at the border. Sigh... )

6. Do I also apply for (and receive) a multiple re-entry permit at the same time?

7. Assuming I never stay in Thailand for over 90 days, would I ever need to report to the police?

8. Do I need to bring any other documentation (other than the embassy letter and my passport) to the immigration office?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Penang consulate (and the ThaiVisa FAQ) says that in order to apply for a non-OA visa in Penang that a police certificate from the home country and a medical check is required. (ThaiVisa also says that these are required when applying from outside Thailand.)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/services-20140508-110623-169095.pdf

Is this being enforced? I doubt I can get police clearance from the USA that quickly.

Edited by moto77

I'm resident in Penang and will be looking for a Non Imm O A this year. I plan to go to the consulate within the next few days so I'll see what they need. Personally I plan to take the path of least resistance to get this and hoped to get a Non O that I can then get an extension based on retirement for while in LOS. What I'm also not sure is if I apply for the whole shebang in Penang, do I have to prove everything again when extending to 12 months in LOS.

Getting a visa here then having to show the finance proof in LOS seems preferable as there's no need to pay for and wait for police and med certs AFAIK. So I want to get the best thing to convert in the easiest manner (e.g. not convert a 30 to a 90 and then to 12 month at the loss of x pages in the passport).

I'll post back once I've chatted to the staff.