Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

I have a problem that I hope the collective wisdom out there might be able to help with. I have quit my current teaching job in Bangkok and have a new teaching job in Pattaya. My current job finishes on 3rd October and my new contract starts on 4th October. I have to cancel my work permit on my last day in Bangkok which then invalidates my work visa. My new school want me to get a 7 day extension from immigration on my last day in Bangkok and then fly out to Lao for Non Imm B to give them time to process the new work permit. My problem is that this week I applied for a passport renewal for the UK as my current passport only has one page left. Technically this means I am not allowed to use my passport until I receive my new one (currently about three months wait from the UK). I can get an emergency passport from the Embassy to do the visa run but am wondering if there is an easier way around this. I saw today that 30 day extensions are now given. Is this the case and would I be able to extend for 90 days?

I have a problem that I hope the collective wisdom out there might be able to help with. I have quit my current teaching job in Bangkok and have a new teaching job in Pattaya. My current job finishes on 3rd October and my new contract starts on 4th October. I have to cancel my work permit on my last day in Bangkok which then invalidates my work visa. My new school want me to get a 7 day extension from immigration on my last day in Bangkok and then fly out to Lao for Non Imm B to give them time to process the new work permit. My problem is that this week I applied for a passport renewal for the UK as my current passport only has one page left. Technically this means I am not allowed to use my passport until I receive my new one (currently about three months wait from the UK). I can get an emergency passport from the Embassy to do the visa run but am wondering if there is an easier way around this. I saw today that 30 day extensions are now given. Is this the case and would I be able to extend for 90 days?

The 30 day extension is only for visa exempt entries that is being discussed in this topic.

The longest extension you can get is 7 days.

It seems the ETD from the embassy is your only viable option.

I had the same experience regarding double checking my address. No proof was required. However I was asked again in the interview and a few moments after I left the cubicle the I/O came out to where I was sitting to check if the location was right as she could not (understandably as it happens) read my writing.

Pass photos need to be not older than 6 months.

Fair enough. If they had just said that it wouldn't have struck me as bizarre at all. I just thought the bit about holding it up and comparing it to my face, then saying it didn't look like me was a bit odd.

Edited by bkk1timer

Great forum thanks to all. Ive been watching this topic for a few of months now and there seems to be much confusion on the subject so just to be clear. Can someone state that my understanding is100% correct. I am Canadian visiting Thailand in November and entering on the 30 Visa Exempt Rule. Near the end of my stay I can go to an immigration office with passport, new photo, onward ticket, itinerary and pay 1900 B and get an additional 30 days. Not 7 days like it used to be? Thanks so much

Great forum thanks to all. Ive been watching this topic for a few of months now and there seems to be much confusion on the subject so just to be clear. Can someone state that my understanding is100% correct. I am Canadian visiting Thailand in November and entering on the 30 Visa Exempt Rule. Near the end of my stay I can go to an immigration office with passport, new photo, onward ticket, itinerary and pay 1900 B and get an additional 30 days. Not 7 days like it used to be? Thanks so much

The extension is 30 days. But it would be better if you get yourself a tourist visa, it cost less and save yourself queuing at Thai immigration. Moreover the airline may deny boarding if no visa and no return ticket within 30 days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The extension is 30 days. But it would be better if you get yourself a tourist visa, it cost less and save yourself queuing at Thai immigration. Moreover the airline may deny boarding if no visa and no return ticket within 30 days.

Hi Guys! How would it work with this visa on arrival if I arrive with a girlfriend who has done few visa runs before May 2014? Would Thai immigration accept copy of my last tax return as evidence of sufficient income or something else would be required? Should we have a return tickets paid for or just a bookings? We would have the same address in my condo.

Week ago my girlfriend was harassed in Suvabr.... Airport on arrival for a long time before getting this 30 days visa. This was despite her new valid visitor visa to see me in Australia and paid ticket to Australia within 30 days. Somehow her previous visa runs between January - May 2014 appeared as a problem.

How long this tourist visa can last? Could it be a double or multiple entry to clock up something like 2 or 3 months in total? Preferably 3 months with an option for extension may work for many people who want to spend cold winter in Thailand. To what I know from today, many condominiums in Pattaya around Jomtien are nearly empty now. Would shortage of tourists be a noticable problem to Thai economy?

Hi Guys! How would it work with this visa on arrival if I arrive with a girlfriend who has done few visa runs before May 2014? Would Thai immigration accept copy of my last tax return as evidence of sufficient income or something else would be required? Should we have a return tickets paid for or just a bookings? We would have the same address in my condo.

Week ago my girlfriend was harassed in Suvabr.... Airport on arrival for a long time before getting this 30 days visa. This was despite her new valid visitor visa to see me in Australia and paid ticket to Australia within 30 days. Somehow her previous visa runs between January - May 2014 appeared as a problem.

Some immigration office can be difficult at times but I don't see any reason for your gf to have a problem.

Some immigration office can be difficult at times but I don't see any reason for your gf to have a problem.

Hi Paz, thanks for the reply. For some strange reason, my girlfriend was for many hours at Suva.... airport before getting through with 30 day visa on arrival just a week ago.

She was questioned and questioned: why "so many" times on a visa run to Cambodia? I give her a signed by myself note about providing accommodation and copy of my blue book for the condo with suggestion to immigration to contact me for any questions. Sufficient cash was at hand with valid visa & ticket to Australia. She left Thailand in May to spend European summer and returned in late September on the way to OZ. Definitely she did not work in Thailand from December 2013 to May 2014, but visa runs with an hour in Cambodia were on offer. Once I gone with her and we stayed overnight in Cambodia just as a change.

Now I we both a bit hesitant about her flight back with stopover in Thailand. I did only one trip to Cambodia with her and never stayed in Thailand for long anyway due to work commitments. What is the system on visitor visa from Thai consulates or an embassy? How many month could be obtained without problems?

Hi Paz, thanks for the reply. For some strange reason, my girlfriend was for many hours at Suva.... airport before getting through with 30 day visa on arrival just a week ago.

She was questioned and questioned: why "so many" times on a visa run to Cambodia? I give her a signed by myself note about providing accommodation and copy of my blue book for the condo with suggestion to immigration to contact me for any questions. Sufficient cash was at hand with valid visa & ticket to Australia. She left Thailand in May to spend European summer and returned in late September on the way to OZ. Definitely she did not work in Thailand from December 2013 to May 2014, but visa runs with an hour in Cambodia were on offer. Once I gone with her and we stayed overnight in Cambodia just as a change.

Now I we both a bit hesitant about her flight back with stopover in Thailand. I did only one trip to Cambodia with her and never stayed in Thailand for long anyway due to work commitments. What is the system on visitor visa from Thai consulates or an embassy? How many month could be obtained without problems?

Possibly your gf is not from a Western country, so immigration has targeted her. However unless doing continuous border runs at the current time, not before, there is no reason to be refused.

Otherwise she can get a tourist visa allowing 60 days an extensible for 30 more.

Edited by paz

• 3 weeks later...

I've been out of Thailand since last winter and lots of new rules have me puzzled. Will be over in Nov under TR

Visa and will apply for 30 day extension. At the end of 88 days I will visit Laos a couple of days and attempt to re-enter Thailand. I will have a follow-on ticket out in under 30 days so a visa exemption would work if available. Can I get a 30 day exemp upon re-entry via land (as oppsed to 15 day) or do I need to fly back. Will be on US passport. Any info will be much appreciated.

I've been out of Thailand since last winter and lots of new rules have me puzzled. Will be over in Nov under TR

Visa and will apply for 30 day extension. At the end of 88 days I will visit Laos a couple of days and attempt to re-enter Thailand. I will have a follow-on ticket out in under 30 days so a visa exemption would work if available. Can I get a 30 day exemp upon re-entry via land (as oppsed to 15 day) or do I need to fly back. Will be on US passport. Any info will be much appreciated.

Yes, you can do that. But consider that if you get instead a double entry tourist visa, the cost would be about $40 less than single entry plus extension, and avoid visiting immigration. The only constrain is that you would have to travel to Laos around the 60th day.

Edited by paz

Yes, you can do that. But consider that if you get instead a double entry tourist visa, the cost would be about $40 less than single entry plus extension, and avoid visiting immigration. The only constrain is that you would have to travel to Laos around the 60th day.

You have to make sure you get a validity on a double-entry TR visa that you can live with, remembering that the clock starts with the issuance of the visa, not the entry. The last double I got in the states came with only a 90d validity.

Some Norwegian guy i know runs a service company in Pattaya, and they deal with Immigration at Jomtien on a regular basis. He claimed today that this new law about a 30 day extension never was implemented on aug 29. And that any IMO that gives a 30 day extension are doing this in conflict with the current law. He said that Jomtien Immigration told him this about 14 days ago.

This was brought up because some other Norwegian guy was asking about this 30 day extension. He tried today at IMO Udon Thani to get an extension on a "30 day stamp" but was refused, the IMO could only grant him a 7 day extension.

Have anybody heard about this or experienced problems with the 30 day extension?

Some Norwegian guy i know runs a service company in Pattaya, and they deal with Immigration at Jomtien on a regular basis. He claimed today that this new law about a 30 day extension never was implemented on aug 29. And that any IMO that gives a 30 day extension are doing this in conflict with the current law. He said that Jomtien Immigration told him this about 14 days ago.

This was brought up because some other Norwegian guy was asking about this 30 day extension. He tried today at IMO Udon Thani to get an extension on a "30 day stamp" but was refused, the IMO could only grant him a 7 day extension.

Have anybody heard about this or experienced problems with the 30 day extension?

There are various reports confirming the 30 days extension. But in the last few days it started appearing various other saying that people is being denied. I think offices know exactly that they are violating regulation and are doing this to make it hard for people that they think doesn't deserves the "privilege"

The new rule started on August 29th when Immigration Bureau Order 327/2557 went in effect.

2.4 In the case of tourism purposes:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed. The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a tourist visa (TOURIST) or exempted from applying for a visa. Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days as announced by the Ministry of Interior.

(2) Must not be of a nationality or type prescribed by the committee monitoring official proceedings of officers of the Immigration Bureau.

I have already seen reports of Jomtien doing the extension and other offices as well.

The have been a few reports that people were denied but there was not enough info as to why it was denied.

I suspect some of them may of done a some back to back exempt entries before applying.

• 3 weeks later...

The new rule started on August 29th when Immigration Bureau Order 327/2557 went in effect.

2.4 In the case of tourism purposes:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed. The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a tourist visa (TOURIST) or exempted from applying for a visa. Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days as announced by the Ministry of Interior.

(2) Must not be of a nationality or type prescribed by the committee monitoring official proceedings of officers of the Immigration Bureau.

I have already seen reports of Jomtien doing the extension and other offices as well.

The have been a few reports that people were denied but there was not enough info as to why it was denied.

I suspect some of them may of done a some back to back exempt entries before applying.

Joe. My friend wants to fly in and get a visa exempt 30 days and then apply for an extension as his return ticket is 33 days after entering. Do the airlines allow you to board if your return date is longer than the 30 days visa exempt duration?

That depends on the airline and from what location you are flying. Within Asia chances are they will allow you to board, from other destinations it is much more likely one will be denied boarding. A tourist visa will be 1,000 baht, cheaper than getting an extension and has the security of not being denied boarding.

That depends on the airline and from what location you are flying. Within Asia chances are they will allow you to board, from other destinations it is much more likely one will be denied boarding. A tourist visa will be 1,000 baht, cheaper than getting an extension and has the security of not being denied boarding.

thank you very much mario

Keep in mind that another option is to buy a cheap onward ticket to somewhere close by (Cambo, Laos) within the 30d window with which to satisfy the original airline. You can either go with a cheap throwaway, or spend more but make it a refundable ticket. Personally, I've been successful with just explaining my intentions to leave Thailand within the 30d by land (to Laos), but it definitely HAS come up.