How many kilos of rice can produce one rai of land?

umbanda

4 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Interesting! Exactly how do you have a fish round-up?  The Thai way would be to have a bus load of people come in with gunny sacks and catch the fish by hand.....tel me there is a better way?

There is a way for a regular pond without draining. The preperation  must be done about a month in advance.

Not this year as we have not put in small fish due to lack of rain, but in past years.

Silly me. The fish were transferred this past week by the cut in the dyke that my fl put in to the pond. This photo of the blue net and 4 inch hose shows the great escapee's location. Only a few remained behind.

image.png.5c22d143ecb9199ba24388693ce70457.png

They are into the second rai and well finish tomorrow.

image.png.66b8b608a415acddf1945027555dd6f4.png

Our number 1 watchman checking on progress.

image.png.1aedcf5acfee405ec4b6f123775958ec.png

AND in 13 years this will be a first for me. A second crop. The green is about 3 weeks along and is the rice nursery. Someones pond is going to pay off.????

image.png.b585568e9e875660ab00ac885ad695df.png

image.png.7de8a2489bde3c65ec4eb189b9c57f6b.png

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Thanks,that makes sense to swim the fish out.

You've got it good with the dam now,just add water and things grow.???? 

The wife says catfish or Bla-Dook,are escape artists ,any hole in a dam and they will find it,our fish pond the wife puts nets up along the bank to stop them jumping out as the water rises,water coming in from the neighbors  rice field   ,she regular get fish in the nets ,especially after a heavy rain .

About 5 years ago a very wet rainy season a guy near here had 2 big fish ponds flood ,all the  catfish got out ,in to road side  ditches and the local small river ,for days after the locals where out with they bamboo fishing poles  catching all the escaping fish . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

The wife says catfish or Bla-Dook,are escape artists ,any hole in a dam and they will find it,our fish pond the wife puts nets up along the bank to stop them jumping out as the water rises,water coming in from the neighbors  rice field   ,she regular get fish in the nets ,especially after a heavy rain .

About 5 years ago a very wet rainy season a guy near here had 2 big fish ponds flood ,all the  catfish got out ,in to road side  ditches and the local small river ,for days after the locals where out with they bamboo fishing poles  catching all the escaping fish . 

They also will dig into the bottom of ponds when water is low and survive. This is just one of a few that were taken from our smaller pond at the main house and cow operation.

image.png.1c57ac5c1dea7433601bfe9414e7bfd7.png

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, khwaibah said:

They also will dig into the bottom of ponds when water is low and survive. This is just one of a few that were taken from our smaller pond at the main house and cow operation.

image.png.1c57ac5c1dea7433601bfe9414e7bfd7.png

That looks like a Stripped catfish Bla-Sar-Wie,they can grow in to 10 kg plus fish  in the wild,I have fished for them at our local dam when they open the sleuth  gates to let the water out ,using spinning rods and bear hooks ,they chase the shinny hooks ,but not this year the dam is only 40% full normally it is full up this time of year.  

• Like 1

Wouw.

Good idea!!

I've made a pond for ourselves also.

Well, there where 2 shallow.

They are 4 -5 meter deep now and one is with plastic inside.

That costs an arm and a leg, but, water can only go out at the top ????

(Shade cloth is being prepared)

it have too high dam and not enough to flood our rice paddy, but fish and shrimp will do just fine.

Not sure what to plant next year.

Our 500kg rice costs a lot of money!!

( Sadly this is our quality...)

maybe used as chicken food?

really bad ????

IMG_20191119_083906.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 8:22 PM, kickstart said:

That looks like a Stripped catfish Bla-Sar-Wie,they can grow in to 10 kg plus fish  in the wild,I have fished for them at our local dam when they open the sleuth  gates to let the water out ,using spinning rods and bear hooks ,they chase the shinny hooks ,but not this year the dam is only 40% full normally it is full up this time of year.  

Giant Mekong catfish or Pla  Buek in thai.

• Like 1

500kg/rai is not too bad this year KS. We have started so no final tallies yet, but BIL had some harvested and sold in bulk straight away for 11.1 baht/kg. Also HomMali 105. Hopefully after all the false promises ours will get cut tomorrow. Two weeks ago it was fetching 12.5 baht. 

• Like 1

This is the first time we have been hit with rice blast or any other such problem. I sat there today as the bag filling harvester working our three paddies. The difference in the rate of bag fill was astounding as he went across effected and uneffected patches. On face value the crop looked great but so much was husk only. Without the blast, which hit us late, this would have been a very good yield.

I am fairly certain our problem was caused/aggravated by a lack of standing water and not over fertilising.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 5:51 PM, IsaanAussie said:

Well the harvester has been and gone. 300Kg per rai is not what we had hoped for but with the rice blast issue, it could have been worse. Holding on to enough for the next year and the rest sold at 11.3 baht/kg. The washup is we just about covered cost and have seed and eating rice for the next year. 

you got more than the father inlaw got from his 7 rai, 20 bags or about 500 kg total, always more weeds than rice, same for the last few years...

45 minutes ago, thoongfoned said:

you got more than the father inlaw got from his 7 rai, 20 bags or about 500 kg total, always more weeds than rice, same for the last few years...

There a funny lot,i gave the Fil 3 rai and he looked after one.

He has cut it and i said to Mrs today when is the threshing machine coming.It's not he will thrash by hand and save money.

Save money,he hasn't spent one brazoo to date.

He gets 400 baht a day working at the local temple but will give that away to thrash his rice.

No doubt the farang will look bad as everyone drives past seeing him bash away. 

Just now, farmerjo said:

There a funny lot,i gave the Fil 3 rai and he looked after one.

He has cut it and i said to Mrs today when is the threshing machine coming.It's not he will thrash by hand and save money.

Save money,he hasn't spent one brazoo to date.

He gets 400 baht a day working at the local temple but will give that away to thrash his rice.

No doubt the farang will look bad as everyone drives past seeing him bash away. 

I seem to remember the thresher we used to use took 10% of the rice as payment. For one or two rai, I doubt they would turn up. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

I seem to remember the thresher we used to use took 10% of the rice as payment. For one or two rai, I doubt they would turn up. 

My area our Grand Poobah husband who is a retired BIB owns 3 kubota DC60. His operation just wrapped up about a 8 km square area about us and by choice we were just about last on the list. They have been harvesting for over 3 weeks and now they will move to other areas. Yes he does a 1 rai area but most areas that small are hand cut and thrashed by hand (what my wife will do for her cow pie special) or by the rotating thrasher (which we owned at one time). Harvesting is in full swing. Made a trip yesterday from Kap Choeng to the Udon airport by back roads highway 24 and the 226. 200km each way. Coming down from SSK to the 24 all I could see were kubotas in the paddies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

yeah its about 10 percent here, but if you have less then 50 bags they will take more...

almost managed to stop fil working now, they (plus wife) used to do 50/60 rai plus, to a good standard years ago, but old age ect and the fact that they will be given money most weeks from family means they only really "plod" about doing this small patch of land and or course the cutting of trees for "black wood"

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Why didn't you wave? Should have stopped in for a beer.

That was my first time coming back that way all others it has been the 24. The wife has been up that way a few times taking someone to the pp office in Udon.The 24 is 2 years off from being completed so good chance we will be back up your way again.???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

yeah its about 10 percent here, but if you have less then 50 bags they will take more...

almost managed to stop fil working now, they (plus wife) used to do 50/60 rai plus, to a good standard years ago, but old age ect and the fact that they will be given money most weeks from family means they only really "plod" about doing this small patch of land and or course the cutting of trees for "black wood"

Around here for trashing mung bean or sesame seed they charge 200 baht sack,each sack has 80-90 kg .

For rice they will take a sack in lieu of ,wife said rice was about 100 baht/sack.

The guy who had the thrasher has stopped now ,he now has 2 Kubota  combines ,for when I drive past his place seem to be in bits all the time.

My neighbor use to get the mobile thrasher in ,then he used a combine ,only once, he was horrified  at the amount going out the back of the combine ,so now he puts the crop on some blue shade cloth and runs over the stems with his tractor. 

• Like 2

We still have one of those forked thrashing sticks. But have not seen one used for ten years. Hand cut "Two hands" sheaves of rice, dried in a stack then thrashed like this. I can't imagine what these "carbon neutral" methods would cost today. Today the harvest is over and rice sold in a day. Back then people took weeks or even a month to complete the harvest. Instead of working together on one paddy at a time, now they compete on who gets in the harvester queue first and who can connive to move ahead of their neighbors. Village community life has suffered, now it is more about money. To me it is sad.

It looks like they are blowing the straw over standing rice plants? We had a guy go and hand cut and thrash a small patch of about 100 sqm that the harvester couldn't get to. People plucked off stems left uncut against the bunds and walk many metres to drop them into the harvester.

Tell me I'm wrong.

15 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

It looks like they are blowing the straw over standing rice plants? We had a guy go and hand cut and thrash a small patch of about 100 sqm that the harvester couldn't get to. People plucked off stems left uncut against the bunds and walk many metres to drop them into the harvester.

Tell me I'm wrong.

All good just chaff blown around.

Believe me they didn't miss any and the sacks of rice were gone off the farm like ferrari pit crew.

Didn't even have time to ask when are they going to shift the chaff to where i wanted it put. 

Won't see anyone for months now.????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Tell me I'm wrong.

No ,you are right ,they would do that ,same as harvesting corn some one will go around and pick the cobs that have come out the back of the combine ,and feed the back in to the combine ,for another go.

Or cutting sugar cane out of corners the machine can not get in ,laying them down in a row for the cane cutter to pick up ,once saw someone picking cut cane that fell off a truck ,or it missed the truck ,and feed it back in to the machine again,..........welcome to Thailand. 

• Like 2