Will they let me re-enter if I have a Tourist Visa?

So I have read through all these posts and have become pretty confused with what is going on. I am currently on a Tourist Visa. This week I will need to go to immigration in Bangkok for the 30 day extension. Then I should be off to Cambodia from Bangkok 30 days after that my extension. I would like to do a quick out and in to "reset" my visa. But I am worried because I have had a few visas already. My passport looks like this... 4 Tourist Visas back to back, 3 of the 30 day visa exempt and the most recent is a tourist visa bought is Loas. In that order. I think it should be stated that I do not work in Thailand. I don't think there is another word for what I am doing besides being a tourist so I don’t know what other visa I could have used. I am planning to head back to the states and the end of this visa but I would hate to have to buy a last minute plane ticket or get stuck in Cambodia.

I have been reading the Thai Embassy website (http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/new-visa-rules.php) and it seems to me they just want to stop the people doing 30 days border runs and buy a "proper" visa. Which I have. I will not be crossing a border in the south. So what are my chances of being denied entry? Should I "reset" before Aug 12?

Also I want to note that while getting this last tourist visa I gave the Thai embassy a copy of my bank statements to prove I have not been working here illegally.

I have seen no recent reports of those holding valid tourist visas being denied entry at the Cambodia border.

I don't expect that you will have a problem using your next entry. It would help if you had your ticket back to the states if they questioned you on entry.

• Like 1

Exact same discussion was having with a couple of friends the other day for a mate in the position. Do you do the extension at Immigration, then get the second entry BEFORE August 12th, just to be on the safe side, even if it means you lose days from it?

He also doesn't want to book his return ticket until he knows exactly how long he has left here. I reckon just to be on the safe side, do the extension before August 12th, but that is just a suggestion, not based on any fact.

Interestingly, a Thai friend who has a relative in Immigration, said the target of this is not farang at all, just Burmese, Vietnamese and Cambodians, but hearing reports I can't believe this.

Exact same discussion was having with a couple of friends the other day for a mate in the position. Do you do the extension at Immigration, then get the second entry BEFORE August 12th, just to be on the safe side, even if it means you lose days from it?

He also doesn't want to book his return ticket until he knows exactly how long he has left here. I reckon just to be on the safe side, do the extension before August 12th, but that is just a suggestion, not based on any fact.

Interestingly, a Thai friend who has a relative in Immigration, said the target of this is not farang at all, just Burmese, Vietnamese and Cambodians, but hearing reports I can't believe this.

I don't believe that to be true, even Thai immigration announced differently.

• Like 1

I would get the 30 day extension at immigration Thursday or Friday. That would give me till about the 24th of Aug. But I was wondering if going, lets say the 11th of Aug, would it be safer and less risky? I would be loosing 2 weeks. I also don't want to purchase my return ticket until I know the second half of my visa will be honoured.

Nor me. Many people probably working the borders don't know exactly what's going on or will happen.

I would get the 30 day extension at immigration Thursday or Friday. That would give me till about the 24th of Aug. But I was wondering if going, lets say the 11th of Aug, would it be safer and less risky? I would be loosing 2 weeks. I also don't want to purchase my return ticket until I know the second half of my visa will be honoured.

You aren't alone in thinking that. If I were you, going before the 12th would probably be less risky as you will only kick yourself afterwards. The thing is, who's to say they don't start implementing the rules a couple of days before, or some borders take a while for it to be implemented fully.

That is exactly what immigration officials at the Mae Sai border have been telling me since May and repeated it 2 days ago. ' We do not have a problem with Canadians, only some other countries.'

I am in the same situation as you except I don't have exempt visa on my passport , just tourist visa since years as I am resident in Thailand but under 50 y.o. And not married to a thai. I will do my extension at immigration and one month later fly out to Singapore in one day in order to trigger my second entry. What I have read so far is that for both operations (extension and flying out), we need to show 20'000 Thb and a flight ticket out of Thailand at the end of extension (so the flight ticket to Singapore in that case) and when flying back in Thailand (in that case coming back from Singapore) a flight ticket out of Thailand at the end of the validity of the visa itself (which I had to show in order to get my visa at the first place but this depends on embassies). I will take an extra security by taking proof of work abroad (salary slips). Hope that helps.

Edited by plaloma

You may wish to consider a couple of days outside the Kingdom before returning to activating your entry. A strict (unwarranted) definition of tourism involves touring or travelling around. Spending a couple of days elsewhere may not have any effect but it is not going to make any given situation worse. Also, if the immigration officer askes what you did then you can honestly say engaging in tourism.

Hi All

I arrived here February 2014 and plan to go back home to Walvis Bay in Jan 2015. Taking a gap year before starting my studies in Feb next year. I came over on a singe entry which gave me 60 days and a further 30 days. I did the Border run to Loas in May so will need to do another run to Loas in August and again in Nov before heading back home. I have a return ticket for Jan 2015. Do you think I will have a problem in August and Nov doing a border run to Loas?

regards

Hi, not sure of proper terminology, think so - first time overseas and all new to me. I got a 60 day single entry visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in my country before leaving for Thailand. After 60 days I went to Bangkok and got my passport stamped for another 30 days. I was told that if I needed to stay longer (one year in my case), I would need to leave the country to obtain a new visa which would then give me another 90 days. I went to Loas as was closest - went on one of those package deals where they provide the minibus, hotel stay and help with the visa application. I wanted to apply for an ED visa and take a language course but it would have cost 23 000 Baht which was too steep. The other option I was thinking of is to try and apply at the local university for a language course which could be cheaper. The private language schools are very expensive and say they will help with the ED Visa but at a huge cost.

I went to Loas as was closest - went on one of those package deals where they provide the minibus, hotel stay and help with the visa application. I wanted to apply for an ED visa and take a language course but it would have cost 23 000 Baht which was too steep. The other option I was thinking of is to try and apply at the local university for a language course which could be cheaper. The private language schools are very expensive and say they will help with the ED Visa but at a huge cost.

With tourist visa you should get dual entry, that are issued in Laos.

23K Bt Thai course for how long ? If one year that is dirty cheap and you won't find for less.

Thanks will try dual entry but will they give it to me with this new law as I already have the one stamp in Bangkok and the one is Laos?

If I can get that then I wont need the ED Visa. Yes, I think its for a year but I will get more info if you say its dirt cheap..

Thanks for your help :)

A young Russian lady neighbour, has just been told by immigration that she will not be allowed back when she does her visa run shortly She told me that Thailand is crazy and that she and her friends are moving to Cambodia. Apparently she has been doing back to back visa runs for many months now. Our landlady tells me that the girl has been working as a pole dancer ! I guess this is the sort of person that immigration want to get rid of.

• Like 1

Rubbish, Thailand desperately need these people to do jobs that Thais wont do or demand more money.

I probably have more border runs (back to back), as well as a single entry, and double entry (not back to back) visas, in the last 18 months. I decided to fly in for my second entry, after a two day stay in KL. It took quite some time for the officer to finally stamp me back in. He consulted two or three times with another officer in the next booth. I was ready with all the supporting evidence, such as, 20,000 cash, hotel receipt, bank statements, US Embassy appointment request (for my fiancee visa), and ongoing ticket within sixty days. None of this was asked for. I believe your second entry is ok, as you were already issued a visa. Stay out of the country at least a few days....and carry some supporting evidence, and cash. Just in case.

Perhaps some Nationalities would be denied entry with our history. Also thinking that they know I am a retiree, with good income, and I wrote on my Arrival card that I would be converting to a 90 day O with retirement extension. Also have a letter from my Embassy verifying income.

Edited by slipperylobster

Yes, I heard the target was read heads, Seven Day Adventists and Scunthorpe supporters.

There is no new law. Dual entry visa is given to everyone, check sticky thread at the top of this section.

I understand but the problem is that they are not going to continually renew this especially after the 12th August? The idea was - take a gap year in Thailand after school - do a TEFL course and then teach for 1 year and next year go home and start my degree. Wanted to find out if teaching is for me so thought this was a great way of finding out. I didnt intend to stay longer than 1 year. Renewing every 3 months and doing border runs sucks and I really dont like this. I am going to pack up and go home and try and find experience some other way.

There is no new law. Dual entry visa is given to everyone, check sticky thread at the top of this section.

I understand but the problem is that they are not going to continually renew this especially after the 12th August? The idea was - take a gap year in Thailand after school - do a TEFL course and then teach for 1 year and next year go home and start my degree. Wanted to find out if teaching is for me so thought this was a great way of finding out. I didnt intend to stay longer than 1 year. Renewing every 3 months and doing border runs sucks and I really dont like this. I am going to pack up and go home and try and find experience some other way.

That's a very sensible approach Cathy and should be applauded. There are other countries with more a more amenable immigration regime offering opportunities for the genuine TEFL'er. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Just an update: I was able to re-enter with no problems at all. The IOs were turning people away who were trying to get a visa exempt stamp and already had one recently in the past. By that I mean the 30 day visa on arrival stamp. I also had my e-ticket confirmation and 20,000 baht just in case. They never asked for either one.

Edited by VeggieBurger
  • Like 1

Congrats, Veggie.

Can I just ask, how long did you leave the country for? Was it a simple in/out?

Also, you mentioned resetting your visa. Were you on a double or triple entry?

A simple in/out. It was a double and I went with bangkok buddy in asok. From what I saw it was for pretty normal for people with a real visa. I even have 3 visa exempt stamps right before for this tourist visa.

As I was exiting the IO went through my passport and was shaking his head, no no no. at all my used visas. Then finally when he came across my current one he gave a big smile and happily stamped me out.

Just as a warning to others. There were 2 people who tried to get a second VoA stamp and were denied. So as long as you are entering with a valid visa. It seems to go smoothly.

Congrats, Veggie.

Can I just ask, how long did you leave the country for? Was it a simple in/out?

Also, you mentioned resetting your visa. Were you on a double or triple entry?

A simple in/out. It was a double and I went with bangkok buddy in asok. From what I saw it was for pretty normal for people with a real visa. I even have 3 visa exempt stamps right before for this tourist visa.

As I was exiting the IO went through my passport and was shaking his head, no no no. at all my used visas. Then finally when he came across my current one he gave a big smile and happily stamped me out.

Just as a warning to others. There were 2 people who tried to get a second VoA stamp and were denied. So as long as you are entering with a valid visa. It seems to go smoothly.

Well done Veggie and thanks for the update. Glad to hear the stress has been lifted.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app