Will the deckchairs make a re-appearance in time for high season?

wellred

To quote Wellred

Anyway it will mean less money being spent at the beach so less money being spent in Phuket. What's the net effect if this is done for all beaches in Thailand? Yeah thought so.

Thats ok means less money to the corrupt and greedy and the money spent going to the decent folk.

Sure...

People with money have a budget for Thailand.. once they don't spend it on illegal beach chairs supported by corrupt officials it will go somewhere else (in Thailand). Its delusional to think that that money won't be spend in Thailand once they are there.

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people here need to take a step back and stop with the generalisations that tourists wanting a chair and umbrella = idiot. I like to spend every other day sitting at the beach reading a book. The other days I'll usually be out and about doing some sort of sight seeing.

I don't mind sitting on the sand but I won't be able to stay for long being uncovered from the sun. Am I an idiot for that? Also with that method it will probably end up being even more busy shoulder to shoulder tourists on the beach.

How about a halfway house where we have deck chairs and umbrellas but the only folks allowed to sell them are some non mafia government crew? I don't see that as such a big ask.

I suspect moSt of those voting in favour of not reinstalling them are not tourists but rather grumpy expats who are usually grumpy about everything. Most tourists are not going to go onto the PG website and vote.

Anyway it will mean less money being spent at the beach so less money being spent in Phuket. What's the net effect if this is done for all beaches in Thailand? Yeah thought so.

A really tired old argument. Try getting a lounger in Krabi. You can't, they've been illegal there for years. Once again the beaches are public land, not for profit, rent or sale and not just for tourists! I grew up at the beach and spent hours reading on it daily. Sunscreen, T-shirt, board shorts and a broad rimmed straw hat. At 59, I still don't have skin cancer, but I do get my skin checked every year by a very good dermatologist.

I still live at the beach, never have rented a beach chair here and they don't allow them and never have in California. It really rather shocked me that they allowed vendors to take over the beaches with all those large loungers when I first came here almost 10 years ago. I'm glad they and all the other touts are gone, makes the beach feel like a beach again and not someone's private resort on public lands...

• Like 2

Get with the program the junta made sure the beach is from everyone so that poor people would not be driven off the beach by the thugs renting out those chairs. 90% here is applauding this just a few disgruntle red shirts have sour grapes its to be expected of course.

<snip>

So let me get this straight... the "thugs" renting out the chairs are all red shirts, right?

Thanks so much for your clarification.

giggle.gif

cheesy.gif

For the last couple of years when going to the beach I have been using my own folding chair with an umbrella taped to it. The main reason is that once I get into a deckchair, I can't get out of the bloody thing!! I would hate to see the end of food vendors on beach though.Nice to have a snack and a beer served up. And yes, I do take my own beer and snacks occasionally.

I think some people here need to take a step back and stop with the generalisations that tourists wanting a chair and umbrella = idiot. I like to spend every other day sitting at the beach reading a book. The other days I'll usually be out and about doing some sort of sight seeing.

I don't mind sitting on the sand but I won't be able to stay for long being uncovered from the sun. Am I an idiot for that? Also with that method it will probably end up being even more busy shoulder to shoulder tourists on the beach.

How about a halfway house where we have deck chairs and umbrellas but the only folks allowed to sell them are some non mafia government crew? I don't see that as such a big ask.

I suspect moSt of those voting in favour of not reinstalling them are not tourists but rather grumpy expats who are usually grumpy about everything. Most tourists are not going to go onto the PG website and vote.

Get with the program. The Junta have just cleared the poor people and their businesses off the beach. The rich people still own the big resorts where tourists will now have to go to get a chair, some food, or a drink.

I agree, what's happening is a now fully militarized elite marginalizing the poor. If ever there was a recipe for discontent and eventual revolution- almost like they are inciting it purposefully.

Get with the program the junta made sure the beach is from everyone so that poor people would not be driven off the beach by the thugs renting out those chairs. 90% here is applauding this just a few disgruntle red shirts have sour grapes its to be expected of course.

<snip>

So let me get this straight... the "thugs" renting out the chairs are all red shirts, right?

giggle.gif

cheesy.gif

I thnk the insinuation is only red shirt sympathizers are disagreeing with booting the working class out of their occupations.

However, it may well breed more red shirts. It really does seem to be quite deliberate. do they plan to " re educate all the poor" ?

A bit premature and perhaps alarmist, but this IS how it starts, when whole populations end up dead..

<snip>

giggle.gif

cheesy.gif

I thnk the insinuation is only red shirt sympathizers are disagreeing with booting the working class out of their occupations.

<snip>

Working class? They were mostly "business owners" who failed to understand what they were doing was illegal as it was allowed to happen by local corrupt public officials who were offering public lands for private profit and wanting a cut for themselves. I'm still not feeling sorry for any of them. Yes, even I know a few people who were put out of work by the enforcement of the laws. But even they admit what they were doing was really legit.

• Like 1

Get with the program. The Junta have just cleared the poor people and their businesses off the beach. The rich people still own the big resorts where tourists will now have to go to get a chair, some food, or a drink.

The problem here is that it has to be all or nothing because if you give these thugs a finger they wont just take your hand but your arm with it. Good solution would be for them to rent them out from an other spot... having to deliver them and taking them back the moment the tourist is gone. No more claiming the beach and cluttering it with deck chairs.

Roblock. Why are you commenting on Phuket. You don't even live here and clearly know nothing of the actual situation here on the ground other than what you have gleaned from the other TV key board warriors...who don't live in Phuket either.

And why did you have to drag the thread into a Red shirt/Yellow shirt debate. Political discussion is not permitted on this forum.

The point that Eblair and I are making is quite simple. Lots and lots of workday Thais have lost their businesses, jobs, income, and in some cases, their homes. They are not all Thugs as you and other numpties on this forum would have everyone believe. While the owners of the mega resorts that are built illegally in National Park land are trading on with impunity. In fact, a number of them, Pullman at Nai Thon is a relevant example, is still carrying out construction work.

The next few months will be trying (and perhaps unsafe) times in Phuket. Many families now have no way to pay their school fees and other debts.

Hunger is the oldest catalyst for revolution known to man.

• Like 1

The problem here is that it has to be all or nothing because if you give these thugs a finger they wont just take your hand but your arm with it. Good solution would be for them to rent them out from an other spot... having to deliver them and taking them back the moment the tourist is gone. No more claiming the beach and cluttering it with deck chairs.

Roblock. Why are you commenting on Phuket. You don't even live here and clearly know nothing of the actual situation here on the ground other than what you have gleaned from the other TV key board warriors...who don't live in Phuket either.

And why did you have to drag the thread into a Red shirt/Yellow shirt debate. Political discussion is not permitted on this forum.

The point that Eblair and I are making is quite simple. Lots and lots of workday Thais have lost their businesses, jobs, income, and in some cases, their homes. They are not all Thugs as you and other numpties on this forum would have everyone believe. While the owners of the mega resorts that are built illegally in National Park land are trading on with impunity. In fact, a number of them, Pullman at Nai Thon is a relevant example, is still carrying out construction work.

The next few months will be trying (and perhaps unsafe) times in Phuket. Many families now have no way to pay their school fees and other debts.

This thread just keeps getting better and better.

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Anyone who rents a plot from the local government hires Burmese beach boys to collect the money. Burmese aren't allowed to go to Thai public schools.

It would be interesting to know who the renters are. You need a local tabien Baan. Friends of "powerful" people?

You don't need acres of plastic sunbeds to make a beach popular. A few self absorbed Europeans who can't holiday without them won't be missed:

post-18822-0-56456300-1406347442_thumb.j

Umbrellas and sun shelters will return to the beaches, but in a sensible controlled way.

You don't need to build a row of restaurants on the sand to supply beachgoers with refreshments:

post-18822-0-67618800-1406347474_thumb.j

<snip>

giggle.gif

cheesy.gif

Oh great taking my post out of context removing that one of bulldozer dawn. He is the res shirt that i referred too. You need to learn to read. 90% here (posters) applaud what the junta is doing just a few red shirt (posters) with sour grapes act like its war on the poor.

So please next time dont take things out of context and quote my post and the one I replied on. It makes you look stupid.

I make it political because you make it a rich vs poor red vs yellow. Fact is rich are loosing land too. Plenty of examples. They are just enforcing the law. I have had my experiences with beach chair vendors before. They are fiercely territorial of what is public land. I call people that try to drive me away when I don't want to rent a chair and just lie on the beach near them thugs.

I have visited Phuket and been there recently. I quite often visit the south so don't make stupid assumptions.

As you also know there is almost no unemployment in Thailand so they can work anywhere they want just a bit harder work. Everyone is always complaining about getting staff.

I for one applaud this the beaches are given back to the people, now the thugs are not getting money anymore from corruption sources and the beach is from everyone.

Edited by robblok

Both you guys are making some mistakes here.

Fallacies I'm reading: 1. to make opinions on a Phuket Forum board requires that you live in Phuket 2. All beach chair vendors are thugs.

I sometimes post on the Samui board, recently on the Pattaya, I don't think anyone was too concerned that I don't live in either of those places.

The beach i frequent here in Phuket, I have knownn one of the vendors for more than twenty years and I guarantee you, he and his family are not "thugs".

Now, back on topic, the whole thing just needed to be re-organized and regulated, I think there is a place for these vendors, just needed some housecleaning.

P.S. and reason for edit @Jimi007, I think organized maybe two rows of chairs, or the vendors pull them out as needed beats a mess like this California beach:

post-92090-0-19395400-1406354025_thumb.j

Edited by grumpyoldman

Both you guys are making some mistakes here.

Fallacies I'm reading: 1. to make opinions on a Phuket Forum board requires that you live in Phuket 2. All beach chair vendors are thugs.

I sometimes post on the Samui board, recently on the Pattaya, I don't think anyone was too concerned that I don't live in either of those places.

The beach i frequent here in Phuket, I have knownn one of the vendors for more than twenty years and I guarantee you, he and his family are not "thugs".

Now, back on topic, the whole thing just needed to be re-organized and regulated, I think there is a place for these vendors, just needed some housecleaning.

P.S. and reason for edit @Jimi007, I think organized maybe two rows of chairs, or the vendors pull them out as needed beats a mess like this California beach:

Of course they are not all thugs, but the problem here is that its all or nothing. If there were good regulations and a lot less land given to them then sure. But the problem with this is that it often is all or nothing here. The moment you give a hand you loose your arm too.

I was ok with the suggestion of them renting it from a place away from the beach and then bring them to the beach and take them away when that tourist goes. If not you will have the beach cluttered again with empty chairs. Sure its extra work for them but its better as not having anything.

Why are we meant to feel sorry for those who built their structures illegally and or simply work on public land? I don't care if they paid bribes to officials to get it done they were taking a risk. You would feel sorry for the guy who built his extension in the UK without planning permission, encroaching on space which is used by the general public, and told to knock it down or it would be knocked down? Of course you wouldn't

They will have to open business legitimately like everyone else going forward or get another job. Plenty of teaching and dive master jobs coming up soon I imagine, perhaps time for a change of career and fill the gaps ?

<snip>.

They tried that remember? Two rows that became the entire beach! Public land is just that, not for rent… People in California at least pack their own stuff in and out and there are trash bins on the beaches, unlike here.

Does anyone think that after new regulation will be made, there will be chance to get permission to make business on the beach for Thai-farang company?

I mean there will be the chance to open a nice beach bar, modern, that provides different services alongside the umbrella-sunchair one?

Does anyone think that after new regulation will be made, there will be chance to get permission to make business on the beach for Thai-farang company?

I mean there will be the chance to open a nice beach bar, modern, that provides different services alongside the umbrella-sunchair one?

No! The new regulation is; no businesses are allowed to operate on the King's land, period. No sun chair/umbrella vendors or any other vendor. You can rent a piece of private property for a lot of money across from the beach and open a bar though.

Sorry, Riccardo. Try Pattaya. smile.png

hope to never see these beach boys again!

What's wrong with them? And if they are not there who is going to come and take my orders and bring my fresh fruit shakes?

maybe your friend.

Now when you go to the beach you have to pack your own blender, fruit, beach chairs, massage table, lunch, drinks, jetskis, parasails, umbrella, beach mat, sun cream and anything else you might need for the day.

Also there are no taxi booths or a taxi call center so you'll need to carry it from your hotel or house.

All part of the luxury world class beach experience that we are offering in Phuket.

This guy was down on Surin beach yesterday on holiday having a great time. He told me it was one of the best beach days he had ever had ...especially with the 200ft trees falling down all around him and the collapsed rd.

RTXLBVR.jpg?itok=ioRu1DrP

Exactly we can just bring everything ourselves. 5555

Honestly some of the comments here are sometimes so dimwitted it's beyond belief.

Where is it that you're from that allows businesses to operate on your public beaches and parklands? I have no problem with bringing the small bit of gear that I need to enjoy the beach…

hope to never see these beach boys again!

What's wrong with them? And if they are not there who is going to come and take my orders and bring my fresh fruit shakes?

maybe your friend.

Now when you go to the beach you have to pack your own blender, fruit, beach chairs, massage table, lunch, drinks, jetskis, parasails, umbrella, beach mat, sun cream and anything else you might need for the day.

Also there are no taxi booths or a taxi call center so you'll need to carry it from your hotel or house.

All part of the luxury world class beach experience that we are offering in Phuket.

This guy was down on Surin beach yesterday on holiday having a great time. He told me it was one of the best beach days he had ever had ...especially with the 200ft trees falling down all around him and the collapsed rd.

You said they were 300ft trees in your other post.

You said they were 300ft trees in your other post.

The 300ft ones have already fallen....only 200ft ones left. I'll try to get some more accurate measurements for you asap.

The army have cut the fallen trees into smaller sections and left them lying around on the beach....it's great. I think they may be the new beach chairs.