Will the deckchairs make a re-appearance in time for high season?

wellred

It's all very well getting rid of the beach boys, food shacks, bars, and myriad other enterprises which have traditionally operated on Thailand's beaches (albeit without an official OK, though probably with the help of a few well-placed backhanders), but . . .

The inconvenience to tourists notwithstanding, what about the impact on the local Thai population of all those lost jobs, not to mention the revenue generated towards the internal economy? Same goes for street vendors currently being given the elbow.

Or did nobody take this into account before sending in the cavalry to clean up?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inconvenience to tourists notwithstanding, what about the impact on the local Thai population---did nobody take this into account------Krataiboy

Also not to mention putting the mafia out like this --they have laid out sizable amounts to create this Empire......oh & of course the graft money paid out to the BIB.....I mean didn't anyone consider this when they gave the beaches back to the Thai People, your quite right Krataiboy really short term thinking here.........coffee1.gif

Any fool can criticize condemn & complain ---- & most fools do.......Ben Franklin

It's all very well getting rid of the beach boys, food shacks, bars, and myriad other enterprises which have traditionally operated on Thailand's beaches (albeit without an official OK, though probably with the help of a few well-placed backhanders), but . . .

The inconvenience to tourists notwithstanding, what about the impact on the local Thai population of all those lost jobs, not to mention the revenue generated towards the internal economy? Same goes for street vendors currently being given the elbow.

Or did nobody take this into account before sending in the cavalry to clean up?

Unemployment rate for the whole of Thailand is 0.6% and in Phuket there is a labour shortage.

They can easily get other work if they want it. None of them will starve.

• Like 1

I think the number of tourist/idiots who will be on a towel will be very limited. The chairs, tables, umbrellas should be part of the service. Get some regulation for this. I think most tourist, especially locals and other Asians would appreciate this service (= biggest market in Thailand). Only a few tourists will be baking in the sun (and then go to the hospital for sunburns). I think it is the charm from Thailand, to enjoy the beach, have some food and drinks and gathering with the family.

Good regulation and fair prices should bring many tourist to the lovely beaches of Thailand.

I think the number of tourist/idiots who will be on a towel will be very limited. The chairs, tables, umbrellas should be part of the service. Get some regulation for this. I think most tourist, especially locals and other Asians would appreciate this service (= biggest market in Thailand). Only a few tourists will be baking in the sun (and then go to the hospital for sunburns). I think it is the charm from Thailand, to enjoy the beach, have some food and drinks and gathering with the family.

Good regulation and fair prices should bring many tourist to the lovely beaches of Thailand.

There was a regulation, there were only supposed to be two row of beach loungers. Greed won over regulation. The beaches here are public land, not for sale, not for rent and not for locals to think the land is theirs to use as they want to make a profit. As for tourists that won't come here because of no chair and umbrella service on the beach, I say good! Go stay somewhere else!

You talk as if the beach only belongs to the tourists and that their wants and needs are paramount.

What about Phuket's residents, Thai and foreigners, who do not want any sun-beds on the beach?

The poll in the Phuket Gazette overwhelmingly supports a clear beach for all with no businesses on it.

Whenever I'm at the beach, none of the 'local tourists' are renting a sunbed with umbrella.

Wow, I didn't realise tourists came to Phuket only for the chairs. Here's me thinking there was so much more to see and do. Oh, no chairs on Australian beaches, with thousands of tourists coming and enjoying them.

Made the mistake of going to Bondi about 1988 and frying for about 2 hours before we left, never to return.

All holidays since have been to deck chair/umbrella destinations and happy to spend the money.

If Aussie's are so happy with no chairs on their beaches how come so many

come to Thailand & Bali when, on the whole, their beaches are better.

Aussies don't just come for the beaches, why would they, they already have far more and far superior ones. If you think people come for beaches only, then you need your head read, same as if you go to any beach, all day, and don't take the necessary sun protection with you. If you "fried for 2 hours, on Bondi, then you can only blame your own foolish self, I'll bet the Aussies didn't suffer as much as you, so whose fault, I suggest you stay home, safe and sound. What a prat, thinking everyone else should suffer simply because you are not sun wise.

Edited by Rorri

If the beaches are now cleared of clutter perhaps the beach cleaning machines bought many years ago can be brought out of hibernation and put to good use? I wonder what happened to the people responsible for buying themcoffee1.gif

I hope so. I hope they are gone forever. Now that the illegal businesses are gone, you can sit under the trees to shield yourself from the sun at many beaches. The beaches with no trees…..Improvise, adapt and overcome.

Here in Jomtien the geniuses under guidance of umbrella mafia have cut down a large number of trees along the beach. Last time they did this I counted 17 new stumps. Asked cop why doing up near sit down circles etc got bs line "Crime prevention". How about some plantings of trees?

post-86628-0-48363900-1406103270_thumb.j

Just for those that don't know the history of the beach chairs and the Tsunami. For a number of months after the tsunami, no beach chairs nor umbrellas were allowed. Then concessions were made to allow up to two rows of beach chairs, with a minimum number of metres (2-3) in between sets of beach chairs, which had to be made of plastic and not wood. That lasted through the summer of 2005, then the "regulations" were thrown out the window thanks to the greediness of the local officials and the local beach chair rental guys.

Very similar to the jet ski ban, where around 12 years ago they were given 7 years to find alternative sources of work. 7 years and 7 governors later, this was forgotten and more envelopes were passed, while more jet skis were introduced.

The sum of the post is "regulations don't work here thanks to greed and corruption" for those that are yammering on about regulation. We would all love to see regulation, but over the past two decades, greed and corruption have won out.

• Like 1

Just for those that don't know the history of the beach chairs and the Tsunami. For a number of months after the tsunami, no beach chairs nor umbrellas were allowed. Then concessions were made to allow up to two rows of beach chairs, with a minimum number of metres (2-3) in between sets of beach chairs, which had to be made of plastic and not wood. That lasted through the summer of 2005, then the "regulations" were thrown out the window thanks to the greediness of the local officials and the local beach chair rental guys.

Very similar to the jet ski ban, where around 12 years ago they were given 7 years to find alternative sources of work. 7 years and 7 governors later, this was forgotten and more envelopes were passed, while more jet skis were introduced.

The sum of the post is "regulations don't work here thanks to greed and corruption" for those that are yammering on about regulation. We would all love to see regulation, but over the past two decades, greed and corruption have won out.

The main issue is the failure of consecutive governors, including the present one, of failing to do their duty. They are responsible for overseeing all levels of government and have FAILED miserably. Why isn't the governor asked to explain his failure. According to the retiring German Honorary Consul, he has also submitted "doctored" minutes back to Bangkok, deleting anything negative brought up at the now cancelled consuls meetings.

• Like 1

what about the impact on the local Thai population of all those lost jobs,

If by locals, you mean Thais from Phuket, then they are very much in the minority. Most Thais working in Phuket are not locals and have come to the island by the lure of money (my family included).

If there are no jobs for them, (and there definitely are jobs if they wish to work - I could do with some general Thai labourers for a few weeks since the Burmese are in short supply) - then they should go back to their home province or seek their fortune elsewhere.

Wow, I didn't realise tourists came to Phuket only for the chairs. Here's me thinking there was so much more to see and do. Oh, no chairs on Australian beaches, with thousands of tourists coming and enjoying them.

Made the mistake of going to Bondi about 1988 and frying for about 2 hours before we left, never to return.

All holidays since have been to deck chair/umbrella destinations and happy to spend the money.

Very few Australians come here for the beaches. They may come to a near beach hotel because it is cheaper than to do so in Australia but they definitely do not come for the beaches.

Very few Australians come here for the beaches. They may come to a near beach hotel because it is cheaper than to do so in Australia but they definitely do not come for the beaches.

That'd be right. They come for the tucker, kulture and temples. No root rats in these bogans.

1. I think the number of tourist/idiots who will be on a towel will be very limited.

Calling the kettle black.arent we?

2. The chairs, tables, umbrellas should be part of the service.

What service?youre at a beach for god sake. If you want service, stay in your hotel.

3. Get some regulation for this.

Tried that, been there, done that, it didnt work. Its all or nothing here.

4. I think most tourist, especially locals and other Asians would appreciate this service (= biggest market in Thailand).

Since living here, I have NEVER EVER seen a local or Expat rent a chair.Have you? Has anyone?

5. Only a few tourists will be baking in the sun (and then go to the hospital for sunburns).

Ever seen the movie Forest Gump? Stupid is as

6. I think it is the charm from Thailand, to enjoy the beach, have some food and drinks and gathering with the family.

I agree. But, pack it in, and pack it out.

7. Good regulation and fair prices should bring many tourist to the lovely beaches of Thailand.

See # 3

<snip>

Since living here, I have NEVER EVER seen a local or Expat rent a chair.Have you? Has anyone?

<snip>

I used to take a cold box, towels and two deck chairs - bought from Big C - to the beach.

That was when there was some space to put them down.

Stopped doing that years ago when the last piece of free beach was taken over by the <deleted>'s.

The deck chairs disintegrated years ago. Maybe I'll buy some more.

• Like 1

My kids and I sat on beach chairs 2 weeks ago in Hua Hin.

Had yummy lunch and drinks delivered right to my table all day.

No renting fees, etc.

Food and drinks at very reasonable prices too.

Perfect.

I guess if it's done as a service and not an extortion then it will be allowed to continue.

Great. Was this on public land? If so, it's illegal. Would you put up with people setting up a restaurant on a public beach or national park in your home country? I think not, yet it's fine here as the "food and drinks were reasonable prices?" Geez, really??

• Like 2

The beach chair operators are the equivalent to pak boong talay ('beach morning glory) in always being the first to colonize the sand.

Personally I think they are convenient for people who want to spend all day at the beach (I only do this when I have guests visiting), but history as proven that they can't be operated reasonably, without corruption and over-proliferation. So I say ban them altogther.

The post-tsunami plastic ones were better that their predecessors.

For a place that did suffer a tsunami, it's amazing the lack of knowledge/respect the local leaders have for the importance of sand dunes in preventing erosion/ tsunami damage, etc. They even dug up dunes in Karon to put up a beach volleyball facility. Good grief.

The beach chair operators are the equivalent to pak boong talay ('beach morning glory) in always being the first to colonize the sand.

Personally I think they are convenient for people who want to spend all day at the beach (I only do this when I have guests visiting), but history as proven that they can't be operated reasonably, without corruption and over-proliferation. So I say ban them altogther.

The post-tsunami plastic ones were better that their predecessors.

For a place that did suffer a tsunami, it's amazing the lack of knowledge/respect the local leaders have for the importance of sand dunes in preventing erosion/ tsunami damage, etc. They even dug up dunes in Karon to put up a beach volleyball facility. Good grief.

A survey about coastal resource management was recently carried out in a number of government offices in Phuket.

93 percent of all government workers surveyed thought that the phrase "management of primary and secondary dunes" referred to how you que songs on your iphone.

• Like 1

I think some people here need to take a step back and stop with the generalisations that tourists wanting a chair and umbrella = idiot. I like to spend every other day sitting at the beach reading a book. The other days I'll usually be out and about doing some sort of sight seeing.

I don't mind sitting on the sand but I won't be able to stay for long being uncovered from the sun. Am I an idiot for that? Also with that method it will probably end up being even more busy shoulder to shoulder tourists on the beach.

How about a halfway house where we have deck chairs and umbrellas but the only folks allowed to sell them are some non mafia government crew? I don't see that as such a big ask.

I suspect moSt of those voting in favour of not reinstalling them are not tourists but rather grumpy expats who are usually grumpy about everything. Most tourists are not going to go onto the PG website and vote.

Anyway it will mean less money being spent at the beach so less money being spent in Phuket. What's the net effect if this is done for all beaches in Thailand? Yeah thought so.

Edited by wellred

I think they will return but not like before

With a limited amount of chairs only on sections of the beach

The operators will be responsible for keeping the beach clean

and pay fees into Govt revenue which will be used to help maintain the beaches

Not into some corrupt officials pocket

There should be strict conditions on how they are allowed to operate and if

they do not follow them lose their right to operate a business on the beach

Tourists do not bring chairs and umbrellas with them and should not be

required to buy them, even if light foldable one's were available

wait to see store fronts renting chairs and umbrellas near the beach and with delivery for a fee.

That would be a good solution, if they take them back the moment the client leaves the beach. The problem was that they claimed the beach and aggressively moved people away who did not want to use their chairs but were in their perceived spot and that there were too many rows.

• Like 1

I think some people here need to take a step back and stop with the generalisations that tourists wanting a chair and umbrella = idiot. I like to spend every other day sitting at the beach reading a book. The other days I'll usually be out and about doing some sort of sight seeing.

I don't mind sitting on the sand but I won't be able to stay for long being uncovered from the sun. Am I an idiot for that? Also with that method it will probably end up being even more busy shoulder to shoulder tourists on the beach.

How about a halfway house where we have deck chairs and umbrellas but the only folks allowed to sell them are some non mafia government crew? I don't see that as such a big ask.

I suspect moSt of those voting in favour of not reinstalling them are not tourists but rather grumpy expats who are usually grumpy about everything. Most tourists are not going to go onto the PG website and vote.

Anyway it will mean less money being spent at the beach so less money being spent in Phuket. What's the net effect if this is done for all beaches in Thailand? Yeah thought so.

Get with the program. The Junta have just cleared the poor people and their businesses off the beach. The rich people still own the big resorts where tourists will now have to go to get a chair, some food, or a drink.

Get with the program the junta made sure the beach is from everyone so that poor people would not be driven off the beach by the thugs renting out those chairs. 90% here is applauding this just a few disgruntle red shirts have sour grapes its to be expected of course.

The problem here is that it has to be all or nothing because if you give these thugs a finger they wont just take your hand but your arm with it. Good solution would be for them to rent them out from an other spot... having to deliver them and taking them back the moment the tourist is gone. No more claiming the beach and cluttering it with deck chairs.

• Like 2

To quote Wellred

Thats ok means less money to the corrupt and greedy and the money spent going to the decent folk.

• Like 1