Passport Renewal

Last thursday we paid a visit to the Thai Consulate here in Adelaide to renew my Wife's passport

and were informed that the Consulates no longer handle this and you have to go to Canberra.

They can issue and dispatch a travel document that will get a citizen to LOS but as said you must apply for a passport in person.

They do a roving service visiting the various Capital cities, but there is no agenda and has only happened once this year.

My worry at this stage is that my Wife's PR visa is now in an expired passport, I am guessing this is OK because a subsequent visit to DFAT didnt shed any light on the question when asked at the enquiry counter.

Just a bit of info for us away from the main cities.

Yes, no problems having the PR visa in an expired passport so long as you have that and the new passport with you at check in and immigration control. Should imagine it is not a hard exercise getting the visa transfered into the new passport. I have to do it on our next trip to AUS for my step daughter.

yeah as far as I know blonc, you have to do it in person.

Is there any chance of getting the validity extended though in her old one?

I'm not sure of which validity you are referring to samran, the PR is in her passport which expired in may

I'm not sure of which validity you are referring to samran, the PR is in her passport which expired in may

Sorry, I was talking about the PP itself. I extended mine by sending it off to canberra and they sent it back with an extension of validity for another 5 years. I must admit though, I did this before the PP expired. Still worth asking though if they can still do the passport extension via mail.

Sorry, I was talking about the PP itself. I extended mine by sending it off to canberra and they sent it back with an extension of validity for another 5 years. I must admit though, I did this before the PP expired. Still worth asking though if they can still do the passport extension via mail.

I rang the office on thursday got a machine, left a message and still havnt had a reply from them.I have the name of the person who handles this stuff but I cant get past the automated telephone system.

I cant even get a straight answer from the OZ immigration (DFAT) about the status, basicly the Permanent resident visa is in an expired passport.

To my way of thinking if you have PR you dont need a passport anymore unless you want to travel.

She will be able to get an Oz one soon.

As a concession made by the Thai Foreign Minister, an extension of a Thai Passport by the Royal Thai Embassy may be possible provided the passport's total validity is not over 10 years. However, passports can only be extended up to 2010, after which all Thai passports are expected to be MRTD and biometric. Moreover, I'm not sure if she is able to extend an already expired passport. Applying for new e-passports have to be in person as fingerprint and photograph has to be taken on site.

If she is planning to travel outside of Australia, then she may need to obtain a Five Year Resident Return Visa to be placed in her passport.

Edited by vinny

I cant even get a straight answer from the OZ immigration (DFAT) about the status, basicly the Permanent resident visa is in an expired passport.

To my way of thinking if you have PR you dont need a passport anymore unless you want to travel.

She will be able to get an Oz one soon.

I am assuming you have contacted the right department but for the record Oz immigration isn't DFAT mate, Immigration is DIMA (Department of Immigration and Multicultural affairs).

DFAT runs the overseas embassies, issues Australian passports (through passport Australia), provides consular assitance to Aussies overseas and provides government policy advice on overseas political and trade issues.

DIMA are the people concerned with Immigration issues and would be the people to talk to about visa's in a forgeign national's passport.