Lost Passport

One of the most talked about topics which has created the most interest that i have ever know whilst being here in Thailand has to be the visa crackdown? (Tsunami an exception)

I know numerous people that are in trouble and seeking to get out of Thailand fast. Some i have sympathy for and others not. I know of two people just this week who are having SAD leaving parties. They have not overstayed but they do not check all the points to be able to stay. One has an income of 40,000 bht a month from the government, but this is not enough to suffice to the rules to get a pension. (40,000 bht a month that Thailand looses).

Some others i know were planning to leave before the end of the month - they have overstayed. They were all set to leave, they will still leave, but now they cannot come back, even though one has now managed to get a job.

People are looking for loopholes.

One person mentioned that many people are now saying that they have lost their passport and requesting a temporary/emergency passport to avoid showing the overstay. Surly this cannot work can it, they would have an history in the computer of being nowhere for a year or so if they overstayed?

Would the thai immigration realize this when they wanted to leave?

Immigration will have a record of an entry (and a photo) against the name and birthdate in the Emergency Travel Document.

No escape.

Any loopholes that were available before this crackdown are likely still there (no I don't know of any), but let's keep this thread well off any illegal activity.

• Like 1

Thought so. Would not make sense other wise. Do you really think they are banning people from this week if they arrive at the airport to leave and they have an overstay? Has there been any reports does anyolne know?

Immigration will have a record of an entry (and a photo) against the name and birthdate in the Emergency Travel Document.

No escape.

Getting a new passport will not help.. If gotten here it would not have any entry stamp in it so immigration would look up the last entry entry.

If gotten outside the country immigration can and will do a name and date of birth check for past entries when you enter the country.

At the moment we still have no confirmation that the new overstay rules are being enforced now.

Surely anyone with a grain of common sense who has had to rely on visa runs, presenting themselves to immigration or whatever to maintain their existence in Thailand must have been aware that things could change at any time in an adverse way for them. If they have coasted along thus far without any contingency plan or fall-back arrangements in their home country then rather than having SAD leaving parties and bemoaning their luck, blaming the authorities or whatever and looking for sympathy, their leaving parties should be joyous affairs to celebrate the fact they rode their luck for so long. The remaining people should be pleased with the clearing out of a few schemers and chancers.

• Like 1

Getting a new passport will not help.. If gotten here it would not have any entry stamp in it so immigration would look up the last entry entry.

If gotten outside the country immigration can and will do a name and date of birth check for past entries when you enter the country.

At the moment we still have no confirmation that the new overstay rules are being enforced now.

Not according to Phuket News and your own Thaivisa.com http://www.thephuketnews.com/overstay-blacklist-penalties-now-in-force-47450.php

Not according to Phuket News and your own Thaivisa.com http://www.thephuketnews.com/overstay-blacklist-penalties-now-in-force-47450.php

That was based upon a warning announcement on the immigration website. That announcement as of just now when I checked again is no longer there.

There also has a been a report on the overstay topic that a person left yesterday with a long overstay and was not banned.

New announcement on immigration website posted in over stay topic, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744965-thailand-immigration-confirms-new-overstay-rules-are-now-official/page-20?p=8142688#entry8142688

It has not started yet. Probably 60 or more days as was said before by immigration.

Thanks joe.... you've done it again. I hope this will quiet those posters who are screaming "WHAT!!?? No amnesty period?" I vote to double your TV salary.rolleyes.gif

I wonder what the foreign embassy/consulate employees in BKK and elsewhere are saying now that dozens of citizens are showing up every day having "lost there passport"?

"You know, Hendricks, we used to get 4 or 5 lost passports a month. Tuesday we had 17." I'll bet there will be some "unintended consequences" from plying that ruse in the near future.

'nuff said

~

That was based upon a warning announcement on the immigration website. That announcement as of just now when I checked again is no longer there.

There also has a been a report on the overstay topic that a person left yesterday with a long overstay and was not banned.

Perhaps you should re read? Still posted on Phuket News website.

blank.gif Blacklist penalties now in force:

BANGKOK: The website ThaiVisa.com today reported that the Immigration Bureau today (July 22) posted a new announcement regarding its rules for overstay, confirming that details of blacklisting for long overstays by foreigners are now in force.

Tuesday 22 July 2014, 10:56AM

The announcement, posted on the Immigration Bureau website, is in both English and Thai, and details the penalties for overstay as follows:

• Overstay of more than 90 days blacklisted for a year
  • Overstay more than one year blacklisted for three years
  • Overstay more than three years blacklisted for five years
  • Overstay more than five years blacklisted for 10 years

Those are the penalties for people who “surrender” – usually by turning up at an Immigration desk on the way out of Thailand.

In cases where offenders are caught in Thailand without valid permits to stay, the following apply:

• Overstay less than one year blacklisted for five years
  • Overstay more than one year blacklisted for 10 years

ThaiVisa reports: “It should also be noted that today’s new rules as detailed above confirm the removal of the proposed lifetime ban for overstaying 10 years or more.

In Phuket, Immigration boss Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikit this morning confirmed the news.

“This is a good thing to make people obey the law," he said.

"Up until now, people overstaying in Thailand paid fines of only B500 a day [up to a maximum of B20,000]. That's nothing. This ruling is going to make people more careful about exceeding the limit."

The new rules are not retroactive, he said.

“It's okay if people did wrong in the past, but from the moment the Ministry of Interior approved the paper, the new rules have been in force.”

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1