What the hell is this? (Photo)

cheeryble

Mystery of the Month

Yes an aerial....and a little box at the other end of the cable.

Is it something to do with internet or TV?

Can I use it?

ps there's another Ethernet socket on the other side of the little box and also a low voltage power connector this side, guess there a charger somewhere.

post-120824-14060903531907_thumb.jpg

post-120824-14060903744516_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble

Top unit looks like possibly a WiFi booster/antennae or an access point.

The small box is the power over ethernet injector box. It requires a 24VDC power module to plug into the labeled power point. This allows to run both power and ethernet on a standard UTP cable to the network device (access point or booster box) preventing having to have a power supply near a remote device. The IN connects to a UTP switch or router, the OUT goes to the remote device.

poe_passive_injector_app.gif

What is PoE?

• Like 2

Have you looked at the front of the box or taken the cover off the bottom.

My guess is an outdoor WIFI antenna. There is some free WIFI nearby and the previous tenant was taking advantage of that.

OR but unlikely it is a WIFI booster and the previous tenant was selling low cost WIFI to the neighbors?

Look at the front of the box if there are lights it is a transmitter, if not it is a receiver.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure it is a built-in Outdoor WiFi access point with directional antenna and can be configured to several modes.

With 2 devices opposed to each other they can act as a wireless bridge between (e.g.) 2 buidings.

With a single device it can act as a standard AP which might be, for example, pointed from a balcony to a swimming pool area. Because of the directional antenna it can transmit/receive over a longer distance than a standard AP.

As VocalNeal suggested, It could also be configured as a WiFi client or extender and connect to a WiFi access point somewhere nearby where the signal is otherwise to weak for a client device e.g. laptop, smartphone.

As already explained above, it is connected and powered by a single LAN cable by using the PoE power injector in the other photo.

Its a Wi-Net attenna.....i have one....This recieves a wifi signal from a distant antenna,

in my case T.O.T

Its the only way i can get an internet signal....works very good.

NanoStation.jpg

Have a Nice Day.

post-126668-0-76297200-1406127810_thumb.

Edited by firefox999uk
  • Like 1

To me it seems that it's an automatic rear sprocket tenderizer with attached fuel irrigator. Looks like a 2013 model.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Spot on. Could there be provision to add a clarifloculator?

Its a Wi-Net attenna.....i have one....This recieves a wifi signal from a distant antenna,

in my case T.O.T

attachicon.gifNanoStation.jpg

Have a Nice Day.

So, are they purchased over time like their adsl2 router cousins, or does TOT own them and should the OP expect a visit from a recovery agent with a bamboo ladder sometime in the near future?

in my case T.O.T

Have a Nice Day.

So, are they purchased over time like their adsl2 router cousins, or does TOT own them and should the OP expect a visit from a recovery agent with a bamboo ladder sometime in the near future?

They've already upgraded to Rattan....

• Like 1

in my case T.O.T

Have a Nice Day.

Don’t have a clue...All I know is that it came as part of my Wi-net internet package about 4 years ago,

there is nothing about renting it on the bill. Some one in my village moved out about 1 year ago and its

still on the roof. I had mine replaced last year after a lightning strike which electrically damaged it.

Have a Nice Day.

When we cancelled our WiNet in favour of fibre the engineer removed and took away our WiNet router.

One assumes therefore it belongs to ToT, an assumption strengthened by the fact that it was replace free of charge when fried by a lightning hit (along with the LNB on our True dish).

• Like 2

Bless you all for info

The sort is there's an internet line in now so it's redundant, and it's a year TOT hasn't claimed it.

Therefore wondering if it might go into my little house I'm about to build it's a wee bit off the main ADSL line so wondering if it could be used to pick up signal from somewehre.

How did/does this system work?

Could I use it to share an ADSL with wife sister family 400m away if they get the main connection?

BTW Crossy this is the house where you're consulting on pumps etc hope u haven't forgotten....the well's in now :-)

[...]

Therefore wondering if it might go into my little house I'm about to build it's a wee bit off the main ADSL line so wondering if it could be used to pick up signal from somewehre.

How did/does this system work?

Could I use it to share an ADSL with wife sister family 400m away if they get the main connection?

BTW Crossy this is the house where you're consulting on pumps etc hope u haven't forgotten....the well's in now :-)

From the picture, it appears to be a "WITELCOM NITRO II CPT-55-17" used by AIS AirNet

These devices are used as customer premises equipment for delivery of Wireless LAN (Internet) from a communications tower with clear line-of-site to the customer some distance away.

092155_0921_2.jpgClip_2.jpg

While normally 'paired' with a multi-point base station transceiver servicing 10 or more clients each, the client-end equipment can be used in point-to-point mode when paired with a compatible unit. This particular unit apparently is capable of standard 802.11a /g WiFi up to 54Mbps, or Mimo 802.11n up to 300Mbps in bridge (device to device) mode.

Example install and setup instructions (text in Thai, pics in English) unlimitpc.com AIS AirNet page 1-4

air.png

That's exactly what it is Richcor

There's a tower on top of an apartment building just three hundred yards away.

Things where I'm building might be more remote.

What would be the max range?

16km?

Now we're talking.

Sisters house is near road.

If she got connected say to 3BB how could we share the connection from 400m away?

Also can cable carry signal from main router that far? Maybe need PoE? (Notice the way that term slides so easily from my fingers now?

A simple cable might be a bit exposed and no poles as yet.

Could we get a little transmitter and aim this aerial at it?

The alternative I guess is to check if there's a major tower somewhere within signal reach such as the guy was using with this serial.

Where does one find out about that?

Price for that service?

Thanks!

As long as there is clear line of sight between your sister-in-law’s place and yours then you can definitely make this work. I have just done something similar. However there are a few factors that you need to bear in mind.

1) LAN cable (CAT5/5E) is limited to 100M so unless there are repeaters each 100M, which need power, that won’t be practical.

2) The wireless device that you have is unlikely to work on its own to connect to a WiFi AP/router because even though it can easily transmit a stable signal over a 400M distance, it won’t be able to receive the same back from the router. You can liken it to 2 people standing 50M apart one of whom is yelling and the other speaking normally. The latter can hear the former but not the other way around so communication doesn’t work.

3) According to the specs quoted by Richcor your device operates on the 5Ghz frequency so even if you were to fit a directional antenna to the router, it would also need to support 5ghz and they tend to be the more expensive models not the ones provided free by ISP’s. Also, external antennas are not always practical because the antenna cable length can’t be more than about 1M otherwise the signal loss is too great.

I think that to make it work effectively you have 2 options. One is to get another 5ghz Outdoor AP preferably identical to the one you have and put them in wireless bridge mode. In that case you only need to run a LAN cable from wherever you mount the Outdoor AP to the PoE injector and a then patch cable from that to the router. On your end you need the same thing but connect from the PoE injector to a standard WiFi AP or network switch.

The other option is just to buy 2 new outdoor AP’s. I suspect this would be cheaper because you can order them from China for approx USD45 each so USD90 in total. You can easily buy them in Thailand too but I think they will cost much more here.

The system that I have recently installed is a bit more complicated because I needed to make a connection from a small building near the road that has TRUE Docsis service to a nearby condo block. However there is another condo block in between these 2 points so I had to install 2 sets of wireless bridges, one either side of the obstructing block connected to each other by cable. Even with so many hops it can still do file copies from end to end at roughly the same speed as Fast Ethernet (100Mb/s) so it can easily deliver the full Docsis bandwidth of 50Mb/s.

Fantastic info Demon which I shall need time to absorb.

Only comment right now about what sounds like download but no upload is this system was used by a tenant for a year, and presume he had two way traffic?

The other thing I've got to consider is this will be very much an occasional home (except for Mum), and I already pay one connection elsewhere and the wife another, so do we want to add a third regular bill here or go with the dongle or network from phone to make do and only pay when we there?

Only comment right now about what sounds like download but no upload is this system was used by a tenant for a year, and presume he had two way traffic?

Yes but in that case the unit was pointed straight at a high powered transmitter (from TOT, AIS etc) whereas in this case you would be trying to receive from a relatively low powered home router/AP which has omnidirectional antennas designed to transmit over a short distance.

The other thing I've got to consider is this will be very much an occasional home (except for Mum), and I already pay one connection elsewhere and the wife another, so do we want to add a third regular bill here or go with the dongle or network from phone to make do and only pay when we there?

OK that is a consideration but in the case that you were extending the internet access from your sister-in-law's house it could be used at both houses simultaneously while only paying one monthly account. Unless doing heavy torrent downloading or similar there shouldn't be any issues with sharing the bandwidth. It would almost certainly be better than 3G and no data caps either.

16km?

Now we're talking.

Sisters house is near road.

If she got connected say to 3BB how could we share the connection from 400m away?

[...]

Could we get a little transmitter and aim this aerial at it?

The alternative I guess is to check if there's a major tower somewhere within signal reach such as the guy was using with this serial.

Where does one find out about that?

Price for that service?

Thanks!

You can share the connection if you use TWO of these directional WiFi/Mimo transceivers (they act as the Ethernet Wire but work over longer distances). When used independently of a Tower Base Station they are purchased in PAIRS and placed at each end of the connection where they can 'see' each other.

As mentioned, you can purchase units from China, or purchase locally. Sites like ThaiVisa Sponsor 'InvadeIT' carry Outdoor High Powered Long Range Wireless Access Points designed to provide Ethernet/Internet connections over long distances.

Alternatively, if you are unable to get a wire for Internet you may be able to subscribe to a Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP) like AIS AirNet or TOT Winet that use similar directional radios to deliver service to your home by connecting to an AIS AirNet serviced Tower.

AIS AirNet (website only available in Thai) 14/14 Mbps ฿ 590/mo

latitude_longitude2.jpg