How can a UK citizen living in Philippines get a Thai retirement visa ?

I have a couple of questions. I am still living in the Philippines and have not been back to the UK for many years.

From what I understand the Retirement visa requires a police check. Where do I get this from ? Is that a check from UK or ??

Also what's the process for applying for the visa. Should I go to Thailand first, move money into the bank, get bank certification and then leave to do the application? If so then where can I go to for the application. I have a friend who mentioned that some countries around Thailand would not let me do the application?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

1. Get a Tourist Visa in the Philippines.
  2. Come to Thailand
  3. Arrange your financials (800k in the bank or income of 60k per month or a combination)
  4. Convert the Tourist Visa to a non-immigrant O (only certain immigration offices can do this, Chaeng Watthana can of course)
  5. Extend your non-O on the grounds of retirement

No police check, no return to the UK smile.png

EDIT I'm not sure if this process can be started from a visa exemption entry, others will be along with more detailed info.

• Like 1

Only an O-A visa requires a police check.

You can apply for a non immigrant O visa for retirement purposes in the Philippines, no need for police check.

This will give you an entry of 90 days in Thailand.

To get an extension of stay based on retirement you must have 800.000 in a Thai bank for two months for your fist extension (next year 3 months)

You can also get the extension with an income of 65.000 baht / month or a combination of the two.

You apply for the extension during the last 30 days of your non-O entry.

• Like 1

Apologies to the OP for piggybacking on to his thread, but it makes more sense than starting a fresh one. Broadly speaking I'm on topic, but my question relates to UK rather than to the Philippines.

I am currently in Thailand and fly back to the UK on 1st August. I return to Thailand on 1st October 2014.

At present, I am waiting to see how the cards fall after 12th August. As I am not returning to Thailand until 1st October, I can afford to "wait and see". In the meantime, I am weighing up my options.

One option, whilst I am back in the UK, would be to apply to the Royal Thai Embassy in London for a Non-Immigrant Visa Category O-A (Long Stay).

One of their requirements relates to proof of finances, and this is the reason for my posting.

For the Royal Thai Embassy in London's website click HERE. You will see that among the documents required are:

4. Copy of bank statement having in possession of annually income equivalent to Thai currency at

least 800,000 Baht or monthly income 65,000 Baht. (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum)

5. In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

BTW, the figure they give of £14,000 as being worth 65,000 THB is somewhat out of date. It is currently worth about £1198.00.

My current account in the UK is with the HSBC; my Thai bank account is with the Siam Commercial Bank (SCB). My government work pension is paid in each month to my HSBC account. Whenever I am in the UK, I transfer money, via SWIFT, to my SCB account.

I am proposing to meet the financial criteria by a combination of both my income from the UK, and the monies in my Thai bank account. I have a number of concerns, and so would welcome your advice on the following questions:

Question 1: Do I need to get a formal letter from my HSBC bank to confirm the monthly pension that is paid into that account? If so, they are likely to charge a hefty fee, may be as much as the equivalent of 2500 THB, if not more. UK banking services are very expensive.

Question 2: I fly back to the UK on 1st August. Do I go to my local SCB on 31st July, and ask them to provide a bank statement and a covering letter, confirming the balance? I doubt that they would charge me much, if anything, for that letter.

I will not however be flying back to Thailand until 1st October, and so I would not be applying for this visa until just before I go i.e. towards the end of the last week of September. I have a debit card for the account, but there would be little point in trying to draw on that money whilst I am in the UK; I have my HSBC account anyway.

Question 3: Would the Thai Embassy accept an SCB letter dated 31st July, in the last week of September?

Question 4: I see that there is an SCB branch in London. Should I go to the SCB in London on the same day that I go to the embassy, and ask them to produce a formal letter to confirm the balance on that day? Again, being in the UK, they are likely to charge me an arm and a leg.

Depending on the replies, I may decide instead to apply for a single entry tourist visa. Whilst in Thailand, I would then seek to convert it into an extension of stay, by reason of retirement.

The advantages of this option would be that I would not then need the police and medical reports. The British Embassy affidavit on my UK income will cost a lot, but the fee for the SCB bank letter in Thailand is likely to be minimal.

I am in no hurry to make a decision. I am just gathering information, and I will make my final decision in mid September.

Thank you for your help.

• Get a Tourist Visa in the Philippines.
  • Come to Thailand
  • Arrange your financials (800k in the bank or income of 60k per month or a combination)
  • Convert the Tourist Visa to a non-immigrant O (only certain immigration offices can do this, Chaeng Watthana can of course)
  • Extend your non-O on the grounds of retirement
No police check, no return to the UK smile.png

EDIT I'm not sure if this process can be started from a visa exemption entry, others will be along with more detailed info.

The monthly income requirement is 65,000 Thai baht per month and not 60,000 as stated

There is a catch 22 when applying for retirement visa - which I find crazy. If you don't already have a bank account it can be a problem! The bank won't let you open a new account unless you have the non O visa already and you can't get the retirement visa unless you can prove you have bank account with the 800K already deposited. Crazy scenario !

Apologies to the OP for piggybacking on to his thread, but it makes more sense than starting a fresh one. Broadly speaking I'm on topic, but my question relates to UK rather than to the Philippines.

I am currently in Thailand and fly back to the UK on 1st August. I return to Thailand on 1st October 2014.

At present, I am waiting to see how the cards fall after 12th August. As I am not returning to Thailand until 1st October, I can afford to "wait and see". In the meantime, I am weighing up my options.

One option, whilst I am back in the UK, would be to apply to the Royal Thai Embassy in London for a Non-Immigrant Visa Category O-A (Long Stay).

One of their requirements relates to proof of finances, and this is the reason for my posting.

For the Royal Thai Embassy in London's website click HERE. You will see that among the documents required are:

4. Copy of bank statement having in possession of annually income equivalent to Thai currency at

least 800,000 Baht or monthly income 65,000 Baht. (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum)

5. In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

BTW, the figure they give of £14,000 as being worth 65,000 THB is somewhat out of date. It is currently worth about £1198.00.

My current account in the UK is with the HSBC; my Thai bank account is with the Siam Commercial Bank (SCB). My government work pension is paid in each month to my HSBC account. Whenever I am in the UK, I transfer money, via SWIFT, to my SCB account.

I am proposing to meet the financial criteria by a combination of both my income from the UK, and the monies in my Thai bank account. I have a number of concerns, and so would welcome your advice on the following questions:

Question 1: Do I need to get a formal letter from my HSBC bank to confirm the monthly pension that is paid into that account? If so, they are likely to charge a hefty fee, may be as much as the equivalent of 2500 THB, if not more. UK banking services are very expensive.

Question 2: I fly back to the UK on 1st August. Do I go to my local SCB on 31st July, and ask them to provide a bank statement and a covering letter, confirming the balance? I doubt that they would charge me much, if anything, for that letter.

I will not however be flying back to Thailand until 1st October, and so I would not be applying for this visa until just before I go i.e. towards the end of the last week of September. I have a debit card for the account, but there would be little point in trying to draw on that money whilst I am in the UK; I have my HSBC account anyway.

Question 3: Would the Thai Embassy accept an SCB letter dated 31st July, in the last week of September?

Question 4: I see that there is an SCB branch in London. Should I go to the SCB in London on the same day that I go to the embassy, and ask them to produce a formal letter to confirm the balance on that day? Again, being in the UK, they are likely to charge me an arm and a leg.

Depending on the replies, I may decide instead to apply for a single entry tourist visa. Whilst in Thailand, I would then seek to convert it into an extension of stay, by reason of retirement.

The advantages of this option would be that I would not then need the police and medical reports. The British Embassy affidavit on my UK income will cost a lot, but the fee for the SCB bank letter in Thailand is likely to be minimal.

I am in no hurry to make a decision. I am just gathering information, and I will make my final decision in mid September.

Thank you for your help.

When I renew my yearly extension I have to go to the SCB to update my bank book and get a letter of confirmation this costs 200 baht . I do this on the same day of my visit to immigration as they do not accept a letter that is a few days old , I would imagine that this would be the same attitude taken by the Thai consulate in London. You mention you get pensions can I suggest that you ensure you have copies of letters from your pension provider regarding the amount of pension you are in receipt of. I get one every year April / May telling me my new pension increase and the amount for the forthcoming year with this along with bank statements from all your banks you might be lucky enough to get what your after, at the end of the day it is down to the officer who is looking after your application. One thing you should consider is that should you move to Thailand the UK does not have an agreement with Thailand on pensions therefore your OAP pension from the UK Government will no longer be awarded the annual pension increases your current pension will be frozen to the amount you currently receive this is not the case in the phials as they have an agreement with the UK hope this has helped in some way !

• Like 1

There is a catch 22 when applying for retirement visa - which I find crazy. If you don't already have a bank account it can be a problem! The bank won't let you open a new account unless you have the non O visa already and you can't get the retirement visa unless you can prove you have bank account with the 800K already deposited. Crazy scenario !

You don't need a non-o to open a bank account. You just have to try different banks and branches of the same bank.

See this webpage for info on opening an account from Bangkok Banks website: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

• Like 2

You don't need a non-o to open a bank account. You just have to try different banks and branches of the same bank.

See this webpage for info on opening an account from Bangkok Banks website: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

We are down in Pattaya / Jomtien region. I tried everywhere ( almost ) down here last year and the answer was the same - " no new accounts " without the official visa. Not easy down here !

You should be able to google Thai embassy and they will have all the steps you need to take to get a retirement visa.

I went to the Thai embassy site in America and followed all the steps and got my visa.

Here is my youtube video showing what I did:

Good luck

I am thinking of doing the same thing from Singapore where I am currently resident. I know the Thai embassy in Singapore will only give an Non O Visa to residents but that is no problem as I can show that. However how do I show them I have 800000 in my Thai bank account? I can get the pass book updated when I am next in Thailand but it will not be current when I go to the embassy.

For this reason I am thinking of just entering Thailand as a tourist when the time comes and then go to the immigration office in Jomtien to upgrade to a Non O

We are down in Pattaya / Jomtien region. I tried everywhere ( almost ) down here last year and the answer was the same - " no new accounts " without the official visa. Not easy down here !

I opened an account at Kasikorn in Pattaya without a problem, I had no visa, only a 30 day entry permit, but had Thai wife.

Notarized proof of income from your embassy should suffice for proof of income. That is all I have.. But I will be bringing bank statements, and financial statements from my government as proof of my military retirement. No way will I have 800,000 cash available this month, but my income qualifies me.

Thank you for your help.

Hello, interested in your comments ref UK. Consider other options first!!!!!!

- Please note I am a snow bird who usually obtains a Non Imm visa multi entry from Hull is No longer issued there.

Thai Embassy suggested the following at the end of my post . HOWEVER, Police check is £55, Doctor medical certificate is £100, the Visa inc. post back is £135 notarisation by notary public or colicito has been quote from £150 - 380 including bank statements. PLUS another train / coach fare to London .. say another £80. so £520++ or 3 x 60 days tourist visa @£75 and a few days in surrounding companies in nice hotels? or seeking a Visa when I get to Thailand ( thoughts on that appreciated ).

:

Dear Sir/Madam,

You and your wife may wish to apply Category "O-A" : To applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an entended period without the intention of working.

You both have to apply this visa in person at the embassy.

But there will be additional documents will be required: medical certificate, bank statement and criminal record check with an notarized by a solicitor.

Please check further information for documents and process in this website:

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Kind Regards,

Visa Officer

• Like 1

Only an O-A visa requires a police check.

You can apply for a non immigrant O visa for retirement purposes in the Philippines, no need for police check.

This will give you an entry of 90 days in Thailand.

To get an extension of stay based on retirement you must have 800.000 in a Thai bank for two months for your fist extension (next year 3 months)

You can also get the extension with an income of 65.000 baht / month or a combination of the two.

You apply for the extension during the last 30 days of your non-O entry.

I keep getting confused, so excuse what might be to some a stupid question.

Is a non-O visa the same as a tourist visa?

Not always Alberto, I got an account at SCM when I was still on my visa-exempt original 30 days--that was seven years ago. However, I have several friends who work rotation off-shore and have never had anything but a visa-exempt entry, but they have bank accounts, get loans on houses, and buy cars, trucks, motorcycles.

I keep getting confused, so excuse what might be to some a stupid question.

Is a non-O visa the same as a tourist visa?

No, non-O means "other", you get this one for other purposes like retirement, Thai family or volunteer work.

I opened an account at Kasikorn in Pattaya without a problem, I had no visa, only a 30 day entry permit, but had Thai wife.

Was it an account in Joint Names or only your name ? Maybe because you have a Thai Wife - then this may also be a factor.

Not always Alberto, I got an account at SCM when I was still on my visa-exempt original 30 days--that was seven years ago. However, I have several friends who work rotation off-shore and have never had anything but a visa-exempt entry, but they have bank accounts, get loans on houses, and buy cars, trucks, motorcycles.

Things are changing very quickly. I think you would find that it isn't possible ( now ) to repeat what you did. I set up my account 4 years ago and I had to have a visa in order to do it. Now the rules are even tougher and you would find that the " remit " that sits with the actual Bank Officers is far tighter than appears on the various websites !

Was it an account in Joint Names or only your name ? Maybe because you have a Thai Wife - then this may also be a factor.

Having a Thai wife does make a difference because she can be a guarantor to open the account.

If you look at the link I posted for Bangkok Bank you will find an option to have a person act as a reference for you or getting a document endorsed by your embassy.

Having a Thai wife does make a difference because she can be a guarantor to open the account.

If you look at the link I posted for Bangkok Bank you will find an option to have a person act as a reference for you or getting a document endorsed by your embassy.

Ubonjoe,

I did check the link - thanks for that. As I have posted earlier - the remit that sits with the actual bank staff is tougher than appears on the various websites. The account is not for me as I already have one. However, I tried to do this in Feb this year for my parents who want to apply for a retirement visa. The catch 22 I described earlier is exactly what I faced. So - with no Thai family to act as a guarantor etc..... we couldn't do it and therefore couldn't get they Visa sorted either. I did find a solution to the Visa before they left Thailand ( privately ) but the Bank Account will now have to wait until they return later this year.

For Farangs - without Thai Family, it is now difficult. It seems a crazy catch 22, so crazy that I suspect the Immigration are not even aware of the " 22" that has now been created.

you did not try down town Pattaya Kasikorn branches where you can open an account with a 30 day visa waiver entry... easily!

you did not try down town Pattaya Kasikorn branches where you can open an account with a 30 day visa waiver entry... easily!

How recently have you know that someone has done this ?

Things are changing very quickly. I think you would find that it isn't possible ( now ) to repeat what you did. I set up my account 4 years ago and I had to have a visa in order to do it. Now the rules are even tougher and you would find that the " remit " that sits with the actual Bank Officers is far tighter than appears on the various websites !

Perhaps, things do change. However, less than two years ago, I opened an escrow account for my MC, but it was at the SCB, where I have the previous account. Also, I double-checked with two of my off-shore mates who both have local bank accounts. One has been here over 20 yrs doing 28-28 rotation, with only the 30 day visa-exemptions; he has a house, truck, and bike and is unmarried. The other has been doing 28-28 for three years, with only 30 day VE and also has house, van and bike and is also unmarried. A third, who also has been here over 20 years, but is married to a Thai, says he got a house loan on a 30 day VE. So, go figure, TIT. I think a lot depends upon the Thai official with whom you speak.