Arizona execution takes two hours

webfact

The innocence project and other similar projects that look at legal matters often look at the legalities of the situation. A lot of people who get the death penalty have a fairly lengthy history of violent crimes. So, even if someone is later exonerated on a legal technicality, it doesn't mean they didn't kill someone.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering how many on this thread are pure constitutionalists when it comes to their second amendment rights but that strict adherence falls away when it comes to the issue of cruel and unusual punishment...

Wondering how many on this thread are pure constitutionalists when it comes to their second amendment rights but that strict adherence falls away when it comes to the issue of cruel and unusual punishment...

Please provide the limits of "cruel and unusual punishment" What is cruel and unusual to some might be a fraternity initiation to others.

"Shall not be infringed" is hardly ambiguous.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but i for one totally disagree with the death penalty, this just strengthens my opinion further. Its a sad sad world that we live in when people and countries can act in this way (the people who commit the crimes and the countries that administer the death penalty) this board seems to be in the "eye for an eye camp" where as i am "two wrongs don't make a right" regardless of this, people should not feel joy or celebrate the fact that this man died a torturous and undoubtedly a very painful death. I am not condoning what he did in anyway shape or form, i am just dissapointed in many peoples joyful reaction to this horrendous death sad.png

You and many others of the 'Hand Wringing' fraternity on this site have not read the report correctly and analyzed the witness observations.

He was in a coma very much like a surgery patient under anesthetics. NO PAIN. Punishment served humanly unlike the pain his victims and their family suffered!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-24/arizona-inmate-takes-nearly-two-hours-to-die-in-execution/5620430

An Arizona Republic journalist who witnessed the execution said he counted the inmate gasping for breath about 660 times.

"I just know it was not efficient," said the reporter, Michael Kiefer. "It took a long time."

Charles Ryan, director of Arizona's Department of Corrections, said protocol was followed and the execution was monitored by a team of licensed medical professionals.

He said Wood was "fully and deeply sedated" five minutes after the drugs began to be administered, and the medical team reaffirmed that Wood remained deeply sedated seven more times before he was pronounced dead.

In a statement, Mr Ryan said that apart from snoring, Wood "did not grimace or make any further movement."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but i for one totally disagree with the death penalty, this just strengthens my opinion further. Its a sad sad world that we live in when people and countries can act in this way (the people who commit the crimes and the countries that administer the death penalty) this board seems to be in the "eye for an eye camp" where as i am "two wrongs don't make a right" regardless of this, people should not feel joy or celebrate the fact that this man died a torturous and undoubtedly a very painful death. I am not condoning what he did in anyway shape or form, i am just dissapointed in many peoples joyful reaction to this horrendous death sad.png

You and many others of the 'Hand Wringing' fraternity on this site have not read the report correctly and analyzed the witness observations.

He was in a coma very much like a surgery patient under anesthetics. NO PAIN. Punishment served humanly unlike the pain his victims and their family suffered!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-24/arizona-inmate-takes-nearly-two-hours-to-die-in-execution/5620430

An Arizona Republic journalist who witnessed the execution said he counted the inmate gasping for breath about 660 times.

"I just know it was not efficient," said the reporter, Michael Kiefer. "It took a long time."

Charles Ryan, director of Arizona's Department of Corrections, said protocol was followed and the execution was monitored by a team of licensed medical professionals.

He said Wood was "fully and deeply sedated" five minutes after the drugs began to be administered, and the medical team reaffirmed that Wood remained deeply sedated seven more times before he was pronounced dead.

In a statement, Mr Ryan said that apart from snoring, Wood "did not grimace or make any further movement."

I think he was offered a coffee break after the first hour but he refused it.

Please provide the limits of "cruel and unusual punishment" What is cruel and unusual to some might be a fraternity initiation to others.

"Shall not be infringed" is hardly ambiguous.

For me, death is cruel and unusual enough. But I shall leave it for your Supreme Court to debate that one.

But more broadly my point was those who would state they have no issue with him suffering during the execution.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Words fail me. I have had to have a number of animals put to sleep. I had a large dog that had a overcome a horrible illness but was left blind and with no teeth and bowed legs that made walking somewhere between almost impossible and very painful. He was young but the vet recommended that he be put to sleep.

He administered the injection into his heart as I held him and he was dead in seconds, with no pain.

I just can't believe that if if a vet can do it these folks can't. Maybe someone show them how to use Google.

Maybe they could call Dr. Kovarkian.

Words fail me. I have had to have a number of animals put to sleep. I had a large dog that had a overcome a horrible illness but was left blind and with no teeth and bowed legs that made walking somewhere between almost impossible and very painful. He was young but the vet recommended that he be put to sleep.

He administered the injection into his heart as I held him and he was dead in seconds, with no pain.

I just can't believe that if if a vet can do it these folks can't. Maybe someone show them how to use Google.

Maybe they could call Dr. Kovarkian.

They use sodium pentothal to put animals down and that's the drug that the EU has banned for expert to the US because they know it's going to be used in executions. Capital punishment has been abolished in the EU.

Hospira (a US company) used to make it but moved production from the US to Italy. Italy is in the EU. Hospira stopped making it.

I wonder what they use to put animals to sleep now then? I believe the trade name is nebutal.

The "best" drug for self-deliverance for seriously ill human beings, as well. It is efficient and painless.

Edited by Ulysses G.

If the EU won't send them to the US, they can be purchased in Mexico.

I still think they should consult Dr. Kovorkian's notes. He seemed to be able to help people do this and it was done to their loved ones. I am sure if it was a painful and excruciating death for them, it would be well recorded.

So sad too bad!

I read this article and three words sprung to mind, 'Som Nom Na'

Hopefully he just felt the same pain all his victims felt including that of the extended family who all suffered at this ar se holes hands !

Good Riddance, another germ eliminated it's a WONDERFUL day !

I'm with you all the way.

The sad thing is, he probably didn't suffer at all. He may even have been having a pleasant high as he slowly exited.

So sad too bad!

Hopefully he just felt the same pain all his victims felt including that of the extended family who all suffered at this ar se holes hands !

The sad thing is, he probably didn't suffer at all. He may even have been having a pleasant high as he slowly exited.

Don't worry. Looking forward to being executed was not likely to have been pleasant.

• Like 1

I wonder what they use to put animals to sleep now then? I believe the trade name is nebutal.

Nembutal is a pentobarbital, well known effective drug, often acquired in liquid form from places such as Mexico for suicide in "end of life" scenarios

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/story?id=5481482

So sad too bad!

Don't worry. Looking forward to being executed was not likely to have been pleasant.

Looking forward to.....as in, eager anticipation

Cows in america are butchered more humanly (bolt to the back of the head). Just say'in.

Very few cows have been found guilty of murdering two people prior to their execution.The worst crime committed by most cows is the emission of methane from their backsides, and that is rarely done in a confined space, thus lessening the severity of the offence,

Well placed sense of humorclap2.gif

Wow, you mean it isn't true.

Btw, your as the contraction of you are. You're joking, right?

Thanks. I get that stuff messed up all the time with my 5th grade education. I got held back a few years and than just quit to avoid the embarrassment of failure and to do heavy drugs.

• Like 1

Very civilised....NOT.

I am not against capital punishment. I do believe it should be instantaneous. The anguish of waiting for the sentence to be carried out is enough agony for anyone to endure I would imagine. Not sure if this would happen in any other nation around the world?

In Europe it would take much longer, and in front of a large audience.

That is, when Europe was in the dark ages.

We managed to evolve, others did not.

When did that evolution take place? After Europe started World War I or after they started World War II?

Very civilised....NOT.

I am not against capital punishment. I do believe it should be instantaneous. The anguish of waiting for the sentence to be carried out is enough agony for anyone to endure I would imagine. Not sure if this would happen in any other nation around the world?

When did that evolution take place? After Europe started World War I or after they started World War II?

After world war II, and especially in the sixties.

Very civilised....NOT.

After world war II, and especially in the sixties.

You know which country to thank for gas showers and concentration camps not being the norm in Europe, come that time.