Getting a Visa Agent to do the Work....or do it yourself

I'm currently here on a visa exemption, I work offshore most of the time but have now been waiting here in Pattaya for the last 2 months whilst the next project is secured by my Company. I did a 3 day trip to Vietnam at the beginning of July but with the new regulations, I'm not sure I would be permitted to do this again for another visa exemption stamp.

I'm over 50 so am eligible for a "retirmement" visa (I know that's not the correct terminology before I get pelters from certain folk here), I have a letter from my Company saying I get paid X amount per month in GBP but this is paid into my UK Account, not my Thai one.

My current visa exemption expires on 4th August and I will be heading off on the next project in September when I'll be away for 6 weeks, would I:

1. Still be able to travel outside Thailand for a few days and come back in to get a visa exemption (this is a new passport with 2 stamps in it, my old passport only had 1 "visa-run").

2. Be better getting a Non-Immigration O Visa (but I need multi-entry). I understand I would have to go to BKK and get an affidavit from the UK Embassy confirming my income.

3. If I go for the above option, should I do it myself or get an Agent to do it on my behalf and therefore avoid any potential delays (as the visa exemption expires on 4th Aug)

Helpful advice would be appreciated.

It appears that a retirement extension would work for you, as it seems that the restriction on working only applies to work within Thailand.

Prior discussion here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742593-retirement-visa-while-working-outside-thailand/

Helpful guide on obtaining a retirement extension: http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/ExtendingStay.pdf

In a nutshell: you convert your current visa exempt status to a non immigrant O visa, and then apply for the annual extension of that visa.

It is easy to do on your own, and can be accomplished very quickly. My wife and I did our original ones in one day.

Keep in mind that with your work schedule you will need a multiple re-entry permit, which can be obtained immediately after obtaining the retirement extension.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I think it's probably worth me going to BKK for a couple of days and getting it all done there.

Can I get a multi-entry permit on a non immigrant O visa?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If I understand correctly, you have to apply in the province where you reside.

You are confusing a multi-entry visa, with a re-entry permit. When you convert your visa exempt status to a non-immigrant O visa, that visa is only valid for 60 days. Provided that all your paperwork is in order (income verification and/or bank letter and bank book, or a combination of the two), the conversion and issuance of the O visa occurs simultaneously (at least here in Chon Buri). You then submit the application for a re-entry permit based on the extended O visa.

It can all be done in one day at the Jomtien office - a long day to be sure - but one day nonetheless.

If I understand correctly, you have to apply in the province where you reside.

You are confusing a multi-entry visa, with a re-entry permit. When you convert your visa exempt status to a non-immigrant O visa, that visa is only valid for 60 days. Provided that all your paperwork is in order (income verification and/or bank letter and bank book, or a combination of the two), the conversion and issuance of the O visa occurs simultaneously (at least here in Chon Buri). You then submit the application for a re-entry permit based on the extended O visa.

It can all be done in one day at the Jomtien office - a long day to be sure - but one day nonetheless.

The frustrating thing is, I will be going off on the next project at the start of September so I don't actually need a non-immigrant O visa until I come back at the end of the year when I'll be here for a couple of months again and I can apply for that and also the necessary long-stay visas. So another visa exemption would have been OK to see me through to the start of September but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk of being refused entry.....

If you were fly out and back to get a new exempt entry you would not have a problem getting it.

You don't have a enough time left on your current entry to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry.

You could go out and get another 30 day entry and do the conversion within 15 days of your arrival.

Get the income letter from the UK embassy to prove your income of 65k baht.when come back or before you leave. You will need to show them proof of your income.

Jomtien immigration will do the conversion and extension of stay all in one trip if you have an income letter.

Then you would need to get a multiple re-entry permit for your trips out and back for work.

If you were fly out and back to get a new exempt entry you would not have a problem getting it.

You don't have a enough time left on your current entry to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry.

You could go out and get another 30 day entry and do the conversion within 15 days of your arrival.

Get the income letter from the UK embassy to prove your income of 65k baht.when come back or before you leave. You will need to show them proof of your income.

Jomtien immigration will do the conversion and extension of stay all in one trip if you have an income letter.

Then you would need to get a multiple re-entry permit for your trips out and back for work.

Question to you, ubonjoe: Can the OP get his (first) Non-Imm O Visa from within Thailand, if he arrives on a Visa exempt? I thought (and read) on some pages that the first non-imm O must be applied for from a consulate abroad (some even claim that it must be done from the country of origin).

Second question: Does a proof of income from WORK qualify as proof of income? From my point of view, that is not a sustainable income, since jobs can be lost at anytime. Would the Embassy of the OP be able / willing to certify this income as sustainable? If not, then the 800K on a Thai bank would be the only option.

Thanks for clarifying for me (and maybe the OP also)

^

A lot of embassies use a standard form (with a disclaimer) on which you can write whatever you like.

They just put their stamp and collect the fee.

From their pov the onus is on Immigration to request any additional documents that they might require in order to ascertain that the applicant has indeed sufficient income.

Not really sure what happens if you write on the TM7 as reason for extension " retirement" and provide the embassy letter certifying income in excess of 65,000 baht/month supported by for example overseas pay slips.

I mean where does retirement come in to this when you're still working albeit overseas.

Thanks for the various replies. I went to a Visa Agency today, sat with them face to face and explained my situation. They said they are getting more clients who work offshore but are now concerned about the new legislation. Anyway, the Agency are doing all the work for me and have assured me I will have my passport, with relevant visas/permits back in 2 days. If I had a K-Bank Account, it would have been the same day.

They will apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa and the Retirement (O-A I believe) Visa, as well as the Multi-Entry permit.

What my question has shown is how many different views and perceptions there are on the visa process/requirements. For something as important as this, I'd definitely recommend going straight to immigration or an Agency, speak to people who are in the know about current legislation.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to answer me.

Question to you, ubonjoe: Can the OP get his (first) Non-Imm O Visa from within Thailand, if he arrives on a Visa exempt? I thought (and read) on some pages that the first non-imm O must be applied for from a consulate abroad (some even claim that it must be done from the country of origin).

Second question: Does a proof of income from WORK qualify as proof of income? From my point of view, that is not a sustainable income, since jobs can be lost at anytime. Would the Embassy of the OP be able / willing to certify this income as sustainable? If not, then the 800K on a Thai bank would be the only option.

Thanks for clarifying for me (and maybe the OP also)

You can do it from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry but you must have 15 days remaining on your entry. Not all immigration office can do the conversion. If your local office cannot do it you have to do it in Bangkok. For many not living near Bangkok it is easier to go to one of the nearby embassies or consulate to get it.

The non-o certainly does not have to be from your home country.

Income from working is no different from any other income in the respect to it going away. You are only proving the income on the date you apply for the extension not later.

Whether an embassy will do the income letter or not with income based upon work would depend upon their policy. Some will only do it for a pension others will allow any type of income.

for the hoi polloi theTM 8 extension form states that applications must be made in person... but I guess visa agents aren't the hoi polloi.

BTW the TM 86 'Change of Visa' also says Application must be made in person but what the heck,

Edited by JLCrab

Thanks for the reply, I think it's probably worth me going to BKK for a couple of days and getting it all done there.

You should do it in Pattaya, Jomtiem Soi 5.

The multi-entry permit is required to maintain your retirement extension, else it would be cancelled when you leave Thailand.

Biggest problem is being in Thailand when the retirement extension requires renewal after a year.. you could be in the middle of an assignment.

Edited by jacko45k

In case no-one mentioned, and I have not yet read all posts, the income letter needs to come from your consulate or embassy. Just show the one from your company and they can then provide the letter.

I would get my Retirement visa and single entry ASAP. You are not working in country so you don't need a work permit. The process is strait forward. If you meet requirements ... Change of visa application. Wait 90 days. Get an extension with a multiple entry.

I might be wrong, but it was my understanding that if you deposit 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account, that can serve as your proof of income. Or take the place of a proof of income letter from your embassy. The 800,000 Baht is supposed to have been in the bank for at least 90 days before you use it as your proof of income (with a letter from your bank confirming the deposit), so I'm not sure how you would work that out your first time around, but that 800,000 Baht option may be another piece of the puzzle that you can use. Good luck.

Hello all

As we are discussing retirement extension of stay I have a question. I also work in the oil & gas industry and will hit 50 next year, however I will not be stopping work overseas just yet. How does it work regarding 90 day reporting on a retirement extension, obnviously I would not be able to report every 90 days as I wouldnt always be in Thailand, and if I dont report then the extension would be cancelled?

Can you please explain how this would work in my instance.

Thanks in advance ND

Hello all

As we are discussing retirement extension of stay I have a question. I also work in the oil & gas industry and will hit 50 next year, however I will not be stopping work overseas just yet. How does it work regarding 90 day reporting on a retirement extension, obnviously I would not be able to report every 90 days as I wouldnt always be in Thailand, and if I dont report then the extension would be cancelled?

Thanks in advance ND

90 day address reporting is ONLY for people who stay within Thailand for a period of more than 90 days in a row.

Every time you enter Thailand after your overseas stint, that day is the first day of your 90d period.

if you leave Thailand for your next stint BEFORE the 90d are over, then you don't need to do any reporting.

Hello all

Thanks in advance ND

90 day address reporting is ONLY for people who stay within Thailand for a period of more than 90 days in a row.

Every time you enter Thailand after your overseas stint, that day is the first day of your 90d period.

if you leave Thailand for your next stint BEFORE the 90d are over, then you don't need to do any reporting.

Much apreciated its clear now, thank you very much for your time!

I am on a retirement visa which will expire soon. My Visa helper said it is very easy to get two months extension at a cost of 1,900 baht at immigration office w/o showing bank book or other documents, Good luck

It appears that a retirement extension would work for you, as it seems that the restriction on working only applies to work within Thailand.

Prior discussion here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742593-retirement-visa-while-working-outside-thailand/

Helpful guide on obtaining a retirement extension: http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/ExtendingStay.pdf

In a nutshell: you convert your current visa exempt status to a non immigrant O visa, and then apply for the annual extension of that visa.

It is easy to do on your own, and can be accomplished very quickly. My wife and I did our original ones in one day.

Keep in mind that with your work schedule you will need a multiple re-entry permit, which can be obtained immediately after obtaining the retirement extension.

Good luck!

Well, I got my Non-Immigrant O, "Retirement Visa" and Mulit-Entry Permit yesterday through a Visa Agent thumbsup.gif . Very painless and very easy, dropped my passport/photos/bank book off with them on Tuesday, got it all back yesterday.

Whilst there are many knowledgeable people on here and I appreciate the advice received, going direct to the Agent and explaining my circumstances was by far the best and easiest thing to do. OK, I had to pay for the privilege but for me, it was well worth it.

Incidentally, I think someone mentioned you must have 15 days left on your visa exemption to be eligible to apply, mine was due to expire on the 5th August, only 8 days from when I gave the documents to the Agent.