Half Moon and Black Moon Parties banned (for 5 months)

Soon it will be pristine clean and boring like Singapore.

That is what worries me, Thailand wants to be more like Singapore, that seems to be were their heading. I guess we all wait to see what type of environment the changes create.

Some of the changes I’m sure will be an improvement, it seems to me they focus a lot on trying to curtail the parting that goes on in Thailand. It’s interesting how as soon as these old guys get past there parting years and have lost their interest in the girls they start trying to stop younger people from having that type of fun and pontificate to everyone about its deleterious effect on society.

It really is not a problem if you don't care for the changes you can relocate to a place that resembles what you like, I’m not going to stress over it. If they change too much they create a demand for new place like the old Thailand, and the demand will be filled possibly in Myanmar or Cambodia. Personally I’m skeptical, I’m hoping for the best but I won’t want to live or vacation in a country run by a heavy handed military system of out of touch senior citizens.

Singaprore 2013 tourist arrivals 15.5 million visitors

Thailand 2013 arrivals 26 million.

Compare size and population and who is more popular?

Personally I’m a fan of Thailand; Singapore is a beautiful country and according to your information more popular that Thailand but it’s not for me, I have no interest and I will never live or vacation there.

Thailand has some issues but it’s always been a fun place for me, Singapore is boring and if Thailand adopts the Singaporean ways I won’t be able to get out fast enough.

I don’t know because I don’t pay attention but is Singapore governed by a large number of seniors that physically can’t have sex anymore or handle the effects of a hangover? Because the lifestyle there seems perfect for that demographic.

and yet it has (and had for 15+ years) the best nightclub in asia.. Zouk

images from singapore zouk

Edited by ColdSingha

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't like rules. We don't like regulations. One of many reasons why i prefer to live here, rather than the nanny state west.

Until someone bops us on the head, or steals our wallet, or runs smack into us when we're sitting still at a red light, or electrocutes a loved one, or sells us fake medicine, or cheats us out of our home, or...or...

Then, all of a sudden, those nanny state protections look pretty good, don't they?

What you're really saying is that you don't like the regulations that you don't like.

Yes.

So are you saying that anywhere without drugs and ladies of the night loitering in foul dirty streets is boring?

Yes!

There drugs and ladies of the night, the day, lunchtime, anytime - in abundance in Singapore. And only one of those activities is illegal.

I have lived, partied, got drunk and and had a fabulous time in Singapore. Boring - never, expensive - you bet your life it is. But I chose to live in Thailand.

And there are no FM, HM, BM parties in Singapore (not the reason I left).

Edited by Tropicalevo

We don't like rules. We don't like regulations. One of many reasons why i prefer to live here, rather than the nanny state west.

Until someone bops us on the head, or steals our wallet, or runs smack into us when we're sitting still at a red light, or electrocutes a loved one, or sells us fake medicine, or cheats us out of our home, or...or...

Then, all of a sudden, those nanny state protections look pretty good, don't they?

What you're really saying is that you don't like the regulations that you don't like.

Mugging against foreigners by Thais is really rare.

Crashes at traffic lights while stationary, also really rare (it's light jumpers that get you, and they are avoidable).

Electrocution, same chance as in any other country.

Fake medicine, usually the medicine is good, just not from a licensed source.

Cheating out of a home, you can't own a house in Thailand, if you weren't trying to break the law yourself .. Not to mention a divorce judge in the west will take your home, pension and future income in a flash.

So any more complaints?

Mugging against foreigners by Thais is really rare.

Crashes at traffic lights while stationary, also really rare (it's light jumpers that get you, and they are avoidable).

Electrocution, same chance as in any other country.

Fake medicine, usually the medicine is good, just not from a licensed source.

Cheating out of a home, you can't own a house in Thailand, if you weren't trying to break the law yourself .. Not to mention a divorce judge in the west will take your home, pension and future income in a flash.

So any more complaints?

No complaints here at all. My point was that the reason those things don't happen very often is precisely because there are rules and regulations, and people enforcing those rules.

And if we're going to live under the protection of those rules, perhaps we need to accept a few other rules thaiguzzi (and others, and I) may not especially like.

Edited by impulse

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I truly hope they { The Army } start to Clean up Samui.... Please

I just saw a group of Marines to "Hin Lat Waterfall", Nathon.
They were investigating the illegally occupied land.
alt=clap2.gif> alt=clap2.gif> alt=clap2.gif>

i sore a solider with a broom in his hand so help is on its way

I can understand people who have bought a nice condo or a business of condos and the a half moon party opens up which shall drown out the business. Nothing worse than not being able to sleep.

In this case there needs to be noise boundaries. Also areas which are party areas and areas which are not legally aloud to build night clubs or anything loud noise related. then again people pay extra to live near the beach which also happens to be the most popular place for a party.

So what can you do.

Maybe leave half moon black moon as they have already set up shop and people would have either adapted by now or moved on but future planing permission for these venus should have to have a specific open radius around the venue which is empty. Also if too many complaints if the noise decibels are over a specific limit after a set time then the venue should be given a warning and a fine.

too many could involve permanent closure.

also have to remember that for future clubs. some villas are already here also and for those who have built and have their business up and running this should also be not tampered with.

As for black moons half moons and residence villas business. From now should stay the same but there should be protections from both seise for future building.

This is a main concern for people wish to buy in thailand be it a business or a house is what in the future is going to be built next to you.

To win business trust there need to be measures in place for entertainment business and for homes/villas to be protected as they both need each other in some sort of way

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the party scheduled for 26th (today) will still happen? And does anyone know how I can become a Whatchamacallit? Hehe. Good Ole military rule. Scary eye too Toto. Frankly I like the Black moon and Half moon parties. Hella.. I can count on my big toe how many parties I have been too that didn't have drugs in the States.. I think that was my 12th birthday.

Blackmoon Party is on now, I can see the lights and hear the music,never used to hear it but now its in the jungle high up on a hill ;it was the only noise to be heard as we had a black out for an hour crazy rain and wind ooops going off topic .he he he

Interesting information.

Could you clarify one thing please?

The thread title, and the first paragraph of your post clearly relate to Koh Phangan.

What about the second paragraph though? Is that another Koh Phangan only item or does it relate to Samui as well? Although I recognise your name, I can't remember if you only post on this local Forum about Koh Phangan issues.

I notice from the news section of this forum that the police on Samui are monitoring shop signs and getting them moved if they consider them to be a hazard. Click HERE for link. If they are moving the signs, then presumably they could get the motorbikes moved at the same time, but as I say, I appreciate that your OP may have related only to Koh Phangan.

Edited to add last paragraph and link.

Is this why i saw a lot of Cops and Army in Bangrak in the week ?

Tha'll never ever happen.....Singaporeans understand dicipline and have a good sense of civic pride....!!

On the other hand..Thais don't care about anything!

When i was in Singapore as a young serviceman back in the early 50's it was very much like lower Sukumit is today. All it took to change was one super tough politician. So don't be so confident with your "never"

Who would have dreamn't of a General called Prayuth 12 months ago. I just hope he is here for the next 5 years.

• Like 1

I truly hope they { The Army } start to Clean up Samui.... Please

I just saw a group of Marines to "Hin Lat Waterfall", Nathon.

They were investigating the illegally occupied land.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

This is great! Many lands in the rural area are actually forced to be sold to or given to the local governors/counsellors, which many of them have mafia background.

Were the Suthep family ever made to give up the land which they enroached on Samui to make theirs bigger. whistling.gif

Yes yaabaa use by locals us the far greater problem than a few all night dance parties involving tourists.

The ones doing the bag snatches, house break-ins and irrational assaults are spaced out locals on yaabaa,

including the nutter who shot the cop in the gas station on video.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Thailand police force is incapable of enforcing much of anything, unless they can somehow line their pockets. I wouldn't worry to much about becoming Singapore. There is room for improvement, however. coffee1.gif

• 1 month later...

I get the impression that in the early days the FMP's were good, just backpackers and respectful world travellers who came upon some beautiful islands with friendly locals and spread the tradition, then some jacka------ heard about it and started coming for the "wrong" reasons, either to binge drink etc. or just be wolves or leeches in general. I worked event security for music festivals in home country before and it is a familiar pattern.

I remember going to the FMPs around the early 90s, that's cause I was traveling back then. People would say 'are you going to be in Thailand for the full moon' but it was more a case of if you're there, you're there rather than making a holiday out of it!

You could also rock up on the day of full moon and get a place to stay right on the beach itself, no problems, no minimum stay, no increased prices

I think the film The Beach changed a lot in Thailand, a lot of 'gap year' kids, people on extended holidays and the middle classes (yeah, I said it!! :P) turning up or party people deciding on going to the island instead of Spain or Greece. It became this super duper dance party rather than a party on the beach

"Traveling" isn't what it used to be and all that

Latest news is the FMP, Half and Black moon parties will go ahead, but no others.

What are the others?? Those are the main ones, aren't they? Are there any others that are 'big'?

Personally not a fan or any of the parties these days and prefer just being on the island at non-full moon time. This can be when a black moon or half is going on though and to be honest if you don't go (and aren't staying on that beach) you'd not know any better

It's more avoidable than FMP in my opinion. If you are around in the days before the FMP starts you can see the influx start