using a selfie stick with a regular camera to photograph over crowds etc ?

BKKdreaming

I have seen the Selfie sticks used with a mobile phone and activated by bluetooth that the phone has built in,

are there other simple / cheap ways to trigger a phone or a small pocket digital camera ?

I could see times where it would be nice to shoot pictures over a crowd or at an angle you would not normally see

but how would you trigger it ?

Are there any more add ons ? I have seen snap on lens adapters that go over the back of an iphone but that would not work on a digital camera

anyway I would love to hear the things you do with these monopods !

Richard Barrow and his drone get interesting pictures , this would just be closer to Earth :)

• Like 1

I have a Samsung nx1000 camera that can be synced with a samsung phone allowing this type of thing. Even better and just to add, the camera be half a world away from the synced phone and take the shot. Kind of sounds like a similar deal, they use an app/program.

Never used this function before, but know it can.

Just putting it out there for ya.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

put it on 10 second timer and hold it up

I know that will work but I would like the option of taking more pictures if needed , without taking it down and resetting the phone / camera

and in a pinch I guess I could just set it on video and edit a long video later,

and then you have the problem of aiming it to your subject when you do not have a display !

I guess another new product idea will be a WEBCAM stick with a small screen on the handle and maybe a trackball to aim the webcam and also set the focus too .....

is there a webcam that you can use with an android phone ? or tether by cable to an android phone ?

.....yeah too many ideas ......facepalm.giftongue.pngbiggrin.pngsmile.pngw00t.gif

I have seen the Selfie sticks used with a mobile phone and activated by bluetooth that the phone has built in,

are there other simple / cheap ways to trigger a phone or a small pocket digital camera ?

I could see times where it would be nice to shoot pictures over a crowd or at an angle you would not normally see

Are there any more add ons ? I have seen snap on lens adapters that go over the back of an iphone but that would not work on a digital camera

Richard Barrow and his drone get interesting pictures , this would just be closer to Earth :)

Depends on your camera, many support a cable release which plugs into the side of your camera and has a button at the end of a cable.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Richard Barrow and his drone get interesting pictures , this would just be closer to Earth smile.png

Depends on your camera, many support a cable release which plugs into the side of your camera and has a button at the end of a cable.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

How about using another "selfie-stick" with an artificial finger on it... :)

thanks for your ideas, smiles and all :)

I never really wanted to take selfies of myself , but do like the idea of taking pictures over the top of a crowd etc ,

as far as a webcam forum , do you know of any that have alternative uses for webcams ? most just seem to have reviews

cheers

put it on 10 second timer and hold it up

I know that will work but I would like the option of taking more pictures if needed , without taking it down and resetting the phone / camera

and in a pinch I guess I could just set it on video and edit a long video later,

and then you have the problem of aiming it to your subject when you do not have a display !

I guess another new product idea will be a WEBCAM stick with a small screen on the handle and maybe a trackball to aim the webcam and also set the focus too .....

is there a webcam that you can use with an android phone ? or tether by cable to an android phone ?

.....yeah too many ideas ......facepalm.giftongue.pngbiggrin.pngsmile.pngw00t.gif

I see. I know there are remotes for DSLRs not sure about point and shoots though. If you can get a remote you can use a monopod to hold it above you or get a cheap tripod head and fix it to a piece of bamboo or something.

I often use my camera on a monopod with its tilting screen to film video cips over the heads of people, or get an interesting high angle....and also with stills using the 2 or 10 second timer.

Samsung smartphones can be set to use voice to take a photo or start a video.

With 4k resolution video on the top models a video can produce great still captures too.

I often use my camera on a monopod with its tilting screen to film video cips over the heads of people, or get an interesting high angle....and also with stills using the 2 or 10 second timer.

Samsung smartphones can be set to use voice to take a photo or start a video.

With 4k resolution video on the top models a video can produce great still captures too.

Hi....which camera has a tilting screen ?

not sure if voice commands would work well in a crowd ,

Are there any battery powered small WiFi cameras that would transmit a signal to a smart phone that you could use as a monitor / recorder ?

the idea would be to stick the Wifi camera on a monopod and record the input on the smart phone

I am not sure if you would need to record the stream and edit later or if you could record "stills" only ?

Thanks for the ideas

Yes now many cameras comes with wi-fi and you can download an app on your phone and control many things from the phone.

Just go to your nearest camera shop and talk to them about your demands and they can help you but insist of trying everything to your satisfaction first before partying any money.

And yes more and more fit their cameras to those helicopter small things and take areal photos/videos.

Tip: Make sure you know how to fly the damned thing first so you don't crash with your new shinny +500$ camera.

Went to Pantip and stumbled around for an hour or so , it seems there are 2 types of bluetooth remote shutters , a 2 button and a 4 button. , these are the same sold on Amazon by 10 sellers

i bought a 2 button one for 200 baht , the 4 button were 300 baht , the extra 2 buttons are supposed to be for Zoom in and out ....

But I also looked at some of the security cameras that are Wifi , and could be made to be battery powered......

so the latest greatest idea is to use an HD WiFi webcam that has tilt and pan , mount the webcam on a monopod with Android smart phone / tablet etc mounted at the base,

The android phone will be a monitor and the trigger , plus it can be used to aim the Webcam.......

on question, , since they are so cheap , can you use a USB power block to power the webcam ? the Webcam I looked at needed 6v DC

• 3 weeks later...

Invest in a gopro camera, you'll love it and the accessories available give the camera so many uses. Put the camera on a selfie stick and you can take pictures/video from your cell.

Edited by Buckeye21

• 1 month later...

If using an Iphone, (I don't know about other other phones, but worth a try to see if it works) is that you can use the volume control, on the supplied ear phone cord, to trigger the camera release whilst in camera mode. The cord would be long enough for most "selfie sticks". Also helpful at night if you want to stop camera shake, i.e. rest the phone against something and use the cord as the trigger. Hope this is of help.