Phuket dive extortion cases 'close to going to court'

webfact

Phuket dive extortion cases ‘close to going to court’
Anthika Muangrod

1406281740_1-org.jpg
Col Wannop: 'They have the right to put their version of the story to the judge.'

PHUKET: -- The Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) is close to finalising its case against three police officers from Chalong on corruption charges.

The cases against the three officers, accused of running an extortion racket against foreign dive instructors and other foreign employees of dive companies at Chalong Pier face one more procedure before being handed over to the public prosecutor.

Pol Lt Col Wannop Somchintanakul, Head of the Section 4 of the PACC, told The Phuket News today (July 25) that the cases will be passed to the PACC Committee, which will review them, and if it feels they will stand up in court, will hand them to the prosecutor, most likely by next month.

“If the committee, after it reviews the cases, concludes that there is solid evidence of wrongdoing, it will pass the cases to the prosecutor.

“We expect them to be charged with corruption. They have the right to put their version of the story to the judge,” Col Wannop added.

Pol Col Krittapas Dechintharasorn, the Superintendent of Chalong Police Station said that he did not yet have a policy to prevent such a problem between his officers and the dive companies in the future.

But he told The Phuket News that government officials, including police, “know well how to behave”.

“The PACC hasn’t informed me yet about the case, but I think [the investigation] is nothing unusual; if something goes wrong, someone will check up on it.

“I don’t have a specific policy to deal with the problem [of corrupt officers extorting money from the dive industry] because all police officers know The National Police Service Act well and [know the consequences of contravening it].”

He added that the cases did not indicate anything was wrong with the police system as a whole. “This involved individuals. It can happen in any organisation. It doesn’t mean that the whole organisations is wrong. The individual who does the wrong thing is the one who has to take responsibility.

“Especially now that the [National Council for Peace and Order] is governing the country, everyone has to behave well,” he added.

Pol Lt Col Wannop added that the PACC is also working hard on cases connected to the Sirinat Marine National Park.

“Eleven cases are now being checked by PACC. We have set up an investigating team already for three of the cases and the other eight cases are being checked for basic information and facts.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-dive-extortion-cases-%E2%80%98close-to-going-to-court%E2%80%99-47531.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-25

• Like 1

Why don't the PACC set up a couple of hidden CCTV along Chalong pier road. They can then check to see if any of the local police pop in to each of the beer bars and massage parlours along that strip to collect tea money.

Because no-one in power (police/PACC/local gov) want any video evidence to surface. All just continue to say nothing to see here, move along.

Why don't the PACC set up a couple of hidden CCTV along Chalong pier road. They can then check to see if any of the local police pop in to each of the beer bars and massage parlours along that strip to collect tea money.

The question is,why do people pay tea money if they have a legal set up ? or am i being naive ?

You're being naive. They will always something whether legal or not.

• Like 1

The question is,why do people pay tea money if they have a legal set up ? or am i being naive ?

You're being naive. They will always something whether legal or not.

No, they don't, soalbundy is absolutely right.

I have had them many times in my shop, and never have had a problem.

You know as well as I do that the main problem here is that these people were working illegally. And I'm not talking about location or bags, those were just side issues.

There are always small things wrong in every single operation even with the best of wills...say lack of a fire extinguisher, or a customer smoking in the bar, a broken tile etc.. that can lead to a fine. The tea money avoids some of this stupidity in the application of the rules. Most people try to have a legal setup, I'm sure.

Not the case in this 'extortion'. They are flaunting the law on a continuous basis, which is still (or again) happening at the moment. They know they're acting illegally, and keep doing it.

Re. “Especially now that the [National Council for Peace and Order] is governing the country, everyone has to behave well,” he added.

Long may they continue to do so! Sadly I fear that when elections eventually happen things will just return to as they were before.

Even if your bar, shop, company is 100% legal, many laws can be interpreted differently and the threat of hassle by way of constant checks to ensure you remain 100% legal is always there.

Ever been stopped on the highway for " not keeping left"? Or stopped for speeding even if not speeding? It's pay up or spend the time to go down to the police station to state your case.

In the case of motoring fines and tea money, the small amount of money involved makes it practical to pay up. The mistake made by these Chalong officers was to make the payment so large as to be worth arguing about and bringing profile to their "operation" by making wholesale arrests.

Arrogance and greed were their downfall.......assuming they do indeed fall down rather than walking free.

Edited by Carrerakiss
  • Like 2

Even if your bar, shop, company is 100% legal, many laws can be interpreted differently and the threat of hassle by way of constant checks to ensure you remain 100% legal is always there.

Which is not the case here.

Ever been stopped on the highway for " not keeping left"? Or stopped for speeding even if not speeding? It's pay up or spend the time to go down to the police station to state your case.

No and no.

Co-operating with things like this is encouraging this behaviour.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Pattaya police are so much smarter as they use a middle man

It was 30 to 50 thousand baht if you were caught working illegally, and 10,000 baht if you were caught working legally.

How exactly can you be 'caught' working Legally? Isn't that an oxymoron ?

It means they were "legal" in the sense of work permits and visas, but they were performing tasks which were not permitted because they are reserved for Thais.

Which is also ridiculous... I can't imagine an immigrant moving the US or UK with legal documentation to work and being told, "You can't be a taxi driver..", "You can't be a store clerk...", "You can't help people move bags when they go diving..."

It was 30 to 50 thousand baht if you were caught working illegally, and 10,000 baht if you were caught working legally.

How exactly can you be 'caught' working Legally? Isn't that an oxymoron ?

It means they were "legal" in the sense of work permits and visas, but they were performing tasks which were not permitted because they are reserved for Thais.

Which is also ridiculous... I can't imagine an immigrant moving the US or UK with legal documentation to work and being told, "You can't be a taxi driver..", "You can't be a store clerk...", "You can't help people move bags when they go diving..."

Problem is most of them were not legal with regards to WP and visa. Some were, and that should never have happened, but most of them were, knowingly, acting illegal, and that behaviour is still going on.

• Like 1

Wasn't this Colonel the guy that got shipped to Thalang after this came out, only to be sent back to Chalong a month or so later? If so, this guy is as guilty as his officers.

Agree with you, he is guilty as are his officers.

They simply should have taken the people in and properly processed them.

• Like 2

Exceptionally naive. What do you do when these guys approach you, and demand money? At least what did you do before there was a new sheriff in town, and there was perhaps some accountability? This has been going on for decades now.

• Like 1

Pol Col Krittapas Dechintharasorn, the Superintendent of Chalong Police Station said, Especially now that the [National Council for Peace and Order] is governing the country, everyone has to behave well, he added."

This says it all ... doesn't it.

Why do the police need a "Policy" to deal with police corruption and extortion? Isn't the LAW good enough?

I think Pol Col Krittapas Dechintharasorn, the Superintendent of Chalong Police Station is ...

1) as dirty as a policeman can get

2) clueless about the law

..so he is saying that when NCPO is finished governing, they don't have to behave well. That's the strategy of the police. Behave well for a while and then go back to their old criminal activities.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you not pay they find a reason to close the shop..permanently, happened to my internet cafe a couple of years ago.

They even gave me an "generous" offer to buy my shop for hundred thousand bath. I had just bought it for six hundred thousand. Good to see that PACC crack down on those bastards, hope they get convicted and spend time behind bars.

Edited by bander
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you not pay they find a reason to close the shop..permanently, happened to my internet cafe a couple of years ago.

We're talking diving here.

As mentioned, I have never paid anything, nor been asked to pay anything.

We're talking diving here.

As mentioned, I have never paid anything, nor been asked to pay anything.

Lucky you, btw the post is about EXTORTION of divers.

Especially now that the [National Council for Peace and Order] is governing the country, everyone has to behave well, he added.

Should read

Only now that the [National Council for Peace and Order] is governing the country, everyone has to behave well, he added.

I had a fight with mafia taxi drivers and they laughed when I said I will call the police, but they weren't laughing when the Army

demolished their illegal taxi stand, but I was ; o )

• Like 1

In Europe - many country when talking about corruption. Who there make the corruption get penalty, but the person there have responsibility to them there had make the corruption can also loose there job or works.Or strip from there ranks.

The Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) have to have there office in the police station. Then i think it will be more easy to look after corruption if they want the corruption to end???? .

So what are these officers names?

- Col. Scapegoat?

- Capt. Pattsy?

- Lt. BadLuck Schleprock?

I would like to see how many officers are not involved in similar activities.

Amazing how they don't want to show their photos or there names, supposedly because " they haven't been charged yet". Seems to me many suspects are named and shamed, even though they haven't been charged yet either. Nice double standard on one of their own.

BTW, I would love to see once they get charged a photo of the 41 people that signed the petition that they were being shaken down all pointing at the suspects!

• Like 2